PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still think that we're a hoofball team?

hibs0666
03-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Hope not. :thumbsup:

It's clear to see that Hibs are being lined up as a passing team that plays with a bit of intelligence and tries to get behind defences.

Little by little it's getting there. :wink:

Matty_Jack04
03-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Heavy weekend?

hibs0666
03-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Heavy weekend?

Do you seriously think we play hoofball? :confused:

Disco Dave
03-10-2011, 05:10 PM

Yes, a lot of the time we do.

Andy74
03-10-2011, 05:12 PM

At the moment we've got about a year of pretty poor football and lumping it up the pitch, including all the pre season games against smaller teams where we can't just put it down to the opposition, and only a couple of games where it looks like we've tried to play a more controlled game.

I think you are a bit premature with this one.

Captain Trips
03-10-2011, 05:21 PM
And if it ever gets there which I doubt a fair few of the key players can leave as their contracts will have run out, this is what I am saying about building a team over time, this team umlikely imo but could gel turn out ok and have to be rebuilt.

JimBHibees
03-10-2011, 05:23 PM
At the moment we've got about a year of pretty poor football and lumping it up the pitch, including all the pre season games against smaller teams where we can't just put it down to the opposition, and only a couple of games where it looks like we've tried to play a more controlled game.

I think you are a bit premature with this one.

Agree personally think that any improvement has been down to having better players (GOC, Ozzy, Griffiths etc) than any clear improvement in the style of play. Went to the Livi Raith game on Saturday and would say both teams tried to play more attractive football than Hibs do. Quick passing and good movement not the laboured approach Hibs have been playing for ages.

smurf
03-10-2011, 05:34 PM
The style has changed a little...

whiskyhibby
03-10-2011, 05:50 PM
The style has changed a little...

Sorry to disagree but we have moved from primarily hoofing the ball to a lone striker to actually creating things from the back and the interplay of the front 3/4 has been fantastic at times..................we just need to do it for longer in games:hnet::hnet:

hibs0666
04-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Sorry to disagree but we have moved from primarily hoofing the ball to a lone striker to actually creating things from the back and the interplay of the front 3/4 has been fantastic at times..................we just need to do it for longer in games:hnet::hnet:

There are still moments of panic from guys like Towell and Osbourne. O'Hanlon likes a punt but I dinnae worry to much about centre halves as I much prefer centre halves to clear the lines as a first priority.

However the moments of panic are gradually becoming fewer and fewer and players are now picking out the easy pass more regularly.

truehibernian
04-10-2011, 09:02 AM
I would say the only time this season I have seen the team play with any kind of route one style football was second half v St Mirren, when even Stacky was resorting to it. Since then the team has consistently tried to play football on the deck, and all our goals are well worked with good interplay in my opinion. I only wish there was a wee bit more midfield pace and urgency, but that may come as they play more often together as a unit and have faith in each others role.

Far from hoofball this season.

The Falcon
04-10-2011, 02:04 PM
And if it ever gets there which I doubt a fair few of the key players can leave as their contracts will have run out, this is what I am saying about building a team over time, this team umlikely imo but could gel turn out ok and have to be rebuilt.

Covering your bases there C :greengrin

The contracts, or length of contracts, is a tricky thing to get right.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Didn't go wrong overnight and won't be fixed overnight. When we are nervous we hoof it. No questions. At Ibrox....what did we have to be nervous about? Nothing really, apart from the surroundings, but absolutetly no pressure to get a result. Even at the top of our game and RFC at the bottom of theirs, a result there is an achievement. But green shoots or recovery. No doubt about that.

Andy74
04-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Turned around - are we a smooth passing team who are coached into that style and any players can be put in and play in the same way? No we're not. Not even close.

We are at the mercy of one or two players who have a little passing ability working things between them. Pre season is where you start to lay the foundations and set out the style of play and it was obvious then and following it that we don't work on a passing game.

So, maybe not pure hoofball as a tactic, more a case of no real style, just whatever the players seem to be able to do on the day.

IWasThere2016
04-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Expert analysis - as ever - fae Yogi :wink:

Kato
04-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Turned around - are we a smooth passing team who are coached into that style and any players can be put in and play in the same way? No we're not. Not even close.

When was the last time we were anywhere near that?

If you say "under Yogi" I'm phoning for the Yelly Van to come and get you.

We are at the mercy of one or two players who have a little passing ability working things between them.

Which player/s?

Andy74
04-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Expert analysis - as ever - fae Yogi :wink:

Which player/s?

You could maybe concentrate on the question at hand. some of you have a cheeck to think I'M obsessed with Hughes.

Which players? I think Osbourne and Towell have passed the pall pretty well in the last few games and linking okay with O'Connor and Agogo.

I keep saying this but when Mowbray took over, after just a couple of weeks training and no matches it was very, very clear that the team were going to pass the ball and move it quickly. You could see at Livingston when we played them.

As I said we may not be intentionally playing hoofball right now, which is a change from the past year, but we most certainly aren't a team coached to be playing crisp, passing, attacking football.

IWasThere2016
04-10-2011, 08:07 PM

:greengrin

Green and white
04-10-2011, 08:17 PM
we tried to get it down against dundee united, against the huns it was hoofball.

Alfred E Newman
04-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Hope not. :thumbsup:

It's clear to see that Hibs are being lined up as a passing team that plays with a bit of intelligence and tries to get behind defences.

Little by little it's getting there. :wink:

We do pass the ball a lot, most of the time aimlessly, and then we thump it long. :agree:

matty_f
04-10-2011, 10:33 PM
The last time we played hoofball was after Sodje and Agogo replaced Griffiths and O'Connor at East End Park. Whether it was a conscious decision or not, we lumped high ball after high ball in their direction and it was rank to watch.

Since then, I've been happy with the style of play we've been adopting, and there's definitely a willingness to get the ball down and pass it.

hibs0666
04-10-2011, 11:11 PM
We do pass the ball a lot, most of the time aimlessly, and then we thump it long. :agree:

Nope, not even close.

sadtom
04-10-2011, 11:12 PM
We are the worst team to watch in the SPL by a considerable distance.
The so called fitba is abysmal. We have zero craft and ability in midfield. The reason? cause CC has no intention of playing the ball through the midfield. Our midfielders are there solely designed to win the ball back (not even very good at that), height strength and power (the english championship/league 1 model) is about as close to having a 'game plan' or 'tactics' as CC gets. Its toe curlingly embarrasing to watch our club reduced to such god awful crap.
IMHO anyone who cant see this is either blind or is totally clueless about fitba.
The real worry is that we are led to believe that the youth teams are encouraged to play the same way as the 1st team. Ultimately that means every day CC is in charge, as a club we are another day heading into the dark ages and potential recovery becomes a more distant prospect. This is the real problem with having non-fooball people running the club, they cant see that we are heading in the wrong direction. Even standing still would be preferable to allowing the manager to persist in marching us into the fitba wilderness.
Its criminal that as a club, we have in recent years, been the ones who have tried to show they way in playing a modern style, only for us to watch every other clubs follow suit, while we have abandoned that way for a rudimentary, outdated, discredited and unattractive brand that shames our history and condems our future.

Every day CC is in charge is 2 days to get back on track.

matty_f
04-10-2011, 11:23 PM
We are the worst team to watch in the SPL by a considerable distance.
The so called fitba is abysmal. We have zero craft and ability in midfield. The reason? cause CC has no intention of playing the ball through the midfield. Our midfielders are there solely designed to win the ball back (not even very good at that), height strength and power (the english championship/league 1 model) is about as close to having a 'game plan' or 'tactics' as CC gets. Its toe curlingly embarrasing to watch our club reduced to such god awful crap.
IMHO anyone who cant see this is either blind or is totally clueless about fitba.
The real worry is that we are led to believe that the youth teams are encouraged to play the same way as the 1st team. Ultimately that means every day CC is in charge, as a club we are another day heading into the dark ages and potential recovery becomes a more distant prospect. This is the real problem with having non-fooball people running the club, they cant see that we are heading in the wrong direction. Even standing still would be preferable to allowing the manager to persist in marching us into the fitba wilderness.
Its criminal that as a club, we have in recent years, been the ones who have tried to show they way in playing a modern style, only for us to watch every other clubs follow suit, while we have abandoned that way for a rudimentary, outdated, discredited and unattractive brand that shames our history and condems our future.

Every day CC is in charge is 2 days to get back on track.

I've seen teams play worse than we have recently in the SPL - Celtc against Hearts, Hearts v St Johnstone, Inverness v a few teams, Aberdeen against everyone bar Dunfermline, Dunfermline v Aberdeen, Dundee Utd v Dunfermline, Motherwell v St Johnstone, and so on. There's no danger we're the worst team to watch.

Kato
05-10-2011, 09:21 AM
You could maybe concentrate on the question at hand. some of you have a cheeck to think I'M obsessed with Hughes.

Cheeky maybe, but true.

Which players? I think Osbourne and Towell have passed the pall pretty well in the last few games and linking okay with O'Connor and Agogo.

Damned with faint praise.

I don't think there has been anywhere near enough of it but since the second half of the dunfermline game there has been a marked improvement in every game, not huge steps but steps in teh right ddirection. Some players dwell on the ball too long and some are still hoffing it during stages of games but that's usually a sign of poor confidence than tactical instruction.

I've said before on here that the long ball game has very marked characteristics and methods. It's pretty easy to spot. Some of the hoofball we've seen doesn't look anything like the long ball but more like players getting rid of a hot tattie.

I keep saying this but when Mowbray took over, after just a couple of weeks training and no matches it was very, very clear that the team were going to pass the ball and move it quickly. You could see at Livingston when we played them.

Mowbray was a great manager at Hibs but he also came here at a very different time, with a different squad and under hugely different circumstances. It all clicked straight away for him at Hibs but then again he had problems at Celtic. Do you think he coached the Celtic team to be as haphardedly crap as they were or was he coaching them toward a crisp attacking passing team and they just couldn't perform when asked to?

As I said we may not be intentionally playing hoofball right now, which is a change from the past year, but we most certainly aren't a team coached to be playing crisp, passing, attacking football.

Your wrong on the intentional hoofball as when we do that/were doing that it was just clearences, there was no method to the long ball. I don't think many managers coming up from England would employ the long ball game as their main strategy, but once the players are over the line it's up to them.

Stevie Reid
05-10-2011, 09:56 AM
It shows how bad things have been when folk are thinking we have turned the corner after a couple of games that haven't been eye bleedingly awful - but let's have a bit of perspective here, let's look at our last 6 matches: -

Aberdeen home - horrendous performance and probably lucky to get a point;

Dunfermline away - was pretty good up until the strikers were taken off (though we did score against the run of play);

Motherwell away - didn't see it but by all accounts seems to have been an impressive attacking performance;

Dundee Utd home - first half was good but still littered with individual errors and we could have been a few goals down. Didn't have a meaningful attack in the second half until the two goals in a minute. Didn't create a chance after the equaliser either;

St. Johnstone home - played well going forward, knocked it about pretty well, and probably deserved to win;

Rangers away - again, didn't see the match, but certainly had two great chances to take the lead. Rangers thoroughly worth their win though, which is to be expected through there.

In short, whilst recent matches have been much more entertaining and there are some encouraging signs, we are exactly what the league shows we are - a poor side who can be above average at times, usually through the interjections of GOC.

Since the usual suspects brought up Yogi (and I don't mean Andy), I would say the current upturn in the quality of football offered in our performances is akin to the win we had against Dundee Utd at the end of the 2009-10 season. We have miles and miles to go before we even come close to addressing the huge deficit in performances and results that we have suffered under Calderwood.

Kato
05-10-2011, 10:04 AM
We have miles and miles to go before we even come close to addressing the huge deficit in performances and results that we have suffered under Calderwood.

I agree, but things look like they are improving.

Stevie Reid
05-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I agree, but things look like they are improving.

Yep - BB's appointment and the emergence of Osbourne and Agogo, seem to have helped a lot. Here's hoping things continue to get better.

sadtom
05-10-2011, 07:06 PM
I've seen teams play worse than we have recently in the SPL - Celtc against Hearts, Hearts v St Johnstone, Inverness v a few teams, Aberdeen against everyone bar Dunfermline, Dunfermline v Aberdeen, Dundee Utd v Dunfermline, Motherwell v St Johnstone, and so on. There's no danger we're the worst team to watch.

Have to disagree. Yep i'm sure all the SPL teams have had bad days, however, as far as our league performances, with the exception of abersheep (if we are honest both teams should have been docked points as we were both dire) every team that we have played has played better football than we have.
We've been very fortunate to gain the few points we have. I think we were fortunate to get the victories against ICT and ST J and while our efforts (or even pressure) may have been worthy of a few of the points we have gained, we have pretty much been out passed by every team - sheep apart. Even the draws against DU and the Pars were fortunate.
God knows what state we'd be in if G O'C hadn't been doing the biz.

hibs0666
05-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Have to disagree. Yep i'm sure all the SPL teams have had bad days, however, as far as our league performances, with the exception of abersheep (if we are honest both teams should have been docked points as we were both dire) every team that we have played has played better football than we have.
We've been very fortunate to gain the few points we have. I think we were fortunate to get the victories against ICT and ST J and while our efforts (or even pressure) may have been worthy of a few of the points we have gained, we have pretty much been out passed by every team - sheep apart. Even the draws against DU and the Pars were fortunate.
God knows what state we'd be in if G O'C hadn't been doing the biz.

We should have been out of sight in the first half against Inverness.

We should never have drawn against Dunfermline.

We were the better team by a country mile against St. Johnstone.