PDA

View Full Version : NHC nottingham job (McClaren Resigns As Forest Manager)

Allant1981
02-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Is free so hopefully taxi for calderwood

Gus Fring
02-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Can we start a collection to pay for his :taxi:

If he goes for it it could mean some compensation for us

'Mon the Hibs
02-10-2011, 07:02 PM
if only, but i doubt that Forrest would re-hire someone that they had previously sacked.

I would be like us re-hiring Duffy

Broken Gnome
02-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Rules out any chance of CC going there - certainly won't be manager.

Allant1981
02-10-2011, 07:11 PM
They wanted him as assistant so they would re hire him, dont see many high profile managers wanting that job so you never know, stranger things have happened

frazeHFC
02-10-2011, 07:11 PM
I agree with RicheyWhite

This makes it less likely. They are not going to appoint him as manager, and whoever comes in will have their own assistant.

Mikey
02-10-2011, 07:14 PM
It looks like McClaren has resigned because his chairman wouldn't spend money the club didn't have.

Good.

"He was upset at not being able to secure two Premiership players on loan terms. The chairman felt the wages would be too high."

rubber mal
02-10-2011, 07:17 PM
They wanted him as assistant so they would re hire him, dont see many high profile managers wanting that job so you never know, stranger things have happened

I think it was McLaren specifically who wanted him as assistant. Really don't think Forest would be paying to get a manager they previously paid to get rid of.

Mikey
02-10-2011, 07:18 PM
I think it was McLaren specifically who wanted him as assistant. Really don't think Forest would be paying to get a manager they previously paid to get rid of.

Indeed. The speculation will just kick off again as soon as McClaren gets another job.

Stew the Hibee
02-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Dave Jones surely?

Malthibby
02-10-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm a believer.....

Ferryhibby
02-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Havent they got a funny setup down there as in its a committee that agree to release funds for the manager?

Bishop Hibee
02-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Hibs did CC a favour not letting him go to Forest. He'd be caretaker at the most and would then be sacked.

For better or worse we're stuck with Calderwood for a while yet.

easty
02-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Dave Jones surely?

Peter Reid?

nortonhibby
02-10-2011, 07:51 PM
if only, but i doubt that Forrest would re-hire someone that they had previously sacked.

I would be like us re-hiring Duffy

Thanks mate i just spat my tea all over the screen Duffy ???????:confused:

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-10-2011, 08:33 PM
looks like Schteeve has left them in the schit. Hired to take Forest into another division, but has missed something in the detail no doubt? Whereas there is always a poinr to be made about the principles of what was promised when, Norwich skooshing right through with a Division One team and Blackpool doing much the same shows that it is not all about bodies on 30 or 40k a week. Funny too that out of the teams at the top of the Championship, two are first division teams and Boro are have now been told that the big buck wage packets are in the past.

7Hero
02-10-2011, 08:36 PM
petrie already missed his chance to get rid, 1 of many wrong decisions made by the numpty running our club !!

Calderwood here until it costs money for us to sak him, blame petrie (will be hard for some no doubt !!)

Northernhibee
02-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Well, they're my English team so hoping we get someone sensible in.

Hibs take priority though so I'd quite happily see CC **** off and Hibs to benefit, but tbh McLaren was never going toget big wages, he's clearly taken the piss here and he can't **** off far enough as far as I'm concerned.

Haggis Hibby
02-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Is free so hopefully taxi for calderwood

AYE good thinking just as we start to improve :sairhead:

nortonhibby
02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
looks like Schteeve has left them in the schit. Hired to take Forest into another division, but has missed something in the detail no doubt? Whereas there is always a poinr to be made about the principles of what was promised when, Norwich skooshing right through with a Division One team and Blackpool doing much the same shows that it is not all about bodies on 30 or 40k a week. Funny too that out of the teams at the top of the Championship, two are first division teams and Boro are have now been told that the big buck wage packets are in the past.
it

It was CH At BC Who offered the 300k AMc Wanted it RP Said 500K And he is yours NF I am told did not want to go more than 300k.:confused:

tamig
02-10-2011, 08:44 PM
petrie already missed his chance to get rid, 1 of many wrong decisions made by the numpty running our club !!

Calderwood here until it costs money for us to sak him, blame petrie (will be hard for some no doubt !!)

And what will you be saying if the recent upturn in events on the pitch is the start of something good? Will you still be critical of RP for not taking the cash in the summer?

Northernhibee
02-10-2011, 08:49 PM
And what will you be saying if the recent upturn in events on the pitch is the start of something good? Will you still be critical of RP for not taking the cash in the summer?

So CC, a man who led Forest into **** then for the best part of a year does the same to Hibs only turns it around when an arse kicking assistant comes in (who speaks in interviews like a manager, of getting in a winning mentality etc)?

It's not a coincidence - the positive change we're seeing is 100% the work of Billy Brown. If he hadn't come in, we'd have lost the last few games, absolutely no doubt in the back of my mind.

BB is Hibs manager in all but name IMO.

nortonhibby
02-10-2011, 08:51 PM

Fair point. lets wait and see:confused:

Kaiser1962
02-10-2011, 09:07 PM
So CC, a man who led Forest into **** then for the best part of a year does the same to Hibs only turns it around when an arse kicking assistant comes in (who speaks in interviews like a manager, of getting in a winning mentality etc)?

It's not a coincidence - the positive change we're seeing is 100% the work of Billy Brown. If he hadn't come in, we'd have lost the last few games, absolutely no doubt in the back of my mind.

BB is Hibs manager in all but name IMO.

I remember we used to think the same when Tommy Craig was assistant to John Blackley.

Speedway
02-10-2011, 09:10 PM
As news broke about Shteve, the Forest shtaff are shaid to be shocked.

Northernhibee
02-10-2011, 10:09 PM
I remember we used to think the same when Tommy Craig was assistant to John Blackley.

Thing is, I watched CC demolish Forest. He struggled to take us out of the third tier with a team that should have strolled it, who were playing eye-bleeding football.

When he left, was quite chuffed.

When we signed him for Hibs, I was willing to entertain that he could have learned his lesson, and learned from his time as assistant at Newcastle. I supported him into the summer, hoping he'd look back on his negative experiences with hoofball, and the positive experiences as Newcastle assistant.

The amount of time it took him to say he was definately a Hibee during the whole Birmingam/Forest rumours were going about was a pisstake, and the football that we (Hibees) played before BB arrived was indicitave of his time at Forest - if not worse.

We could be even better without CC, and even if we have to take a bit of time finding a replacement, we've clearly got a good interim manager in BB - if not a potential manager in the making.

I've experienced CC's brand of football for long enough to know he's not turned this club around, someone else has.

The Falcon
03-10-2011, 01:12 AM
Thing is, I watched CC demolish Forest. He struggled to take us out of the third tier with a team that should have strolled it, who were playing eye-bleeding football.

Pretty much what Celtic fans say about Mowbray yet we view him differently. Opinions eh :greengrin

If I was a Forest fan I would be more concerned about Doughty leaving especialy if he wants his £60m back.

The amount of time it took him to say he was definately a Hibee during the whole Birmingam/Forest rumours were going about was a pisstake, and the football that we (Hibees) played before BB arrived was indicitave of his time at Forest - if not worse.

I seem to recall that he didnt say much so he was being given a kicking for what he didnt say. Hibs overall said very little but, for the avoidance of doubt, let me say he is not a hibee. BB arriving appears to be a good thing but the confusing bit is , we were told by those ITK, that CC was not allowed an assistant. Now he has one, and one that he appears to know quite well, we are now told that all the improvements are down to BB's arrival and nothing to do with the work that has gone on over many months previous.

NOLA
03-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Notts Forest remind me of Aberdeen, both provincial clubs who have had success in europe while under the guidance of top managers but have been in steady decline for years now while the fans still think they are better than they are in the grand scheme of things

JohnScott
03-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Notts Forest remind me of Aberdeen, both provincial clubs who have had success in europe while under the guidance of top managers but have been in steady decline for years now while the fans still think they are better than they are in the grand scheme of thingsCracker lovl Where does that leave us then "in the scheme of things"?

hibsbollah
03-10-2011, 08:56 AM
What Shteve did at Twente was unbelievable. Breaking the big clubs stranglehold in
Holland was the equivalent of taking Hibs Hearts or Aberdeen to the title here.

Heres clearly a bit of a twat in some ways but hes definitely got something.

stokesmessiah
03-10-2011, 09:39 AM
AYE good thinking just as we start to improve :sairhead:

:agree:

Correct, out of the ashes a team with potential is starting to rise...i cant believe people are so keen to kick him now and start that process all over again.

GreenPJ
03-10-2011, 10:49 AM

When he left, was quite chuffed.

When we signed him for Hibs, I was willing to entertain that he could have learned his lesson, and learned from his time as assistant at Newcastle. I supported him into the summer, hoping he'd look back on his negative experiences with hoofball, and the positive experiences as Newcastle assistant.

We could be even better without CC, and even if we have to take a bit of time finding a replacement, we've clearly got a good interim manager in BB - if not a potential manager in the making.I've experienced CC's brand of football for long enough to know he's not turned this club around, someone else has.

Am not getting into the debate about CC should go or not, however, people accuse CC of really being a number 2 not a number 1. Surely the same is exactly the same of Brown, he has never shown any indication to go out on his own in the past and therefore why would he now. I think BB is an excellent addition and is doing what an assistant manager should do in help get the points and strategy across to the players, to think he is a no 1 in the making is a big big assumption and a massive risk.

stu in nottingham
03-10-2011, 01:55 PM
It looks like McClaren has resigned because his chairman wouldn't spend money the club didn't have.

Good.

I think that's the crux of it Mikey. It's largely speaking why the previous manager Billy Davies left by most accounts too. A pattern is emerging.

Havent they got a funny setup down there as in its a committee that agree to release funds for the manager?

They have what's known as a 'transfer acquisition panel' who run the rule over any potential signings. It was put in place by the Chairman after Forest squandered millions of pounds on duff signings. The last manager had many a run-in about it and I think McClaren too. At the head of it though was David Pleat who was outed from the position just a few days ago. I think it was an unworkable system and has been the cause of much unrest at Forest as they have continually failed to sign quality players due to its interference.

If I was a Forest fan I would be more concerned about Doughty leaving especialy if he wants his £60m back.

Doughty isn't leaving the club but is stepping down as Chairman. According to him the club will still have his backing and he will be involved at the City Ground. He's already ploughed £65m into the club and still receives a lot of stick! He's making noises today, blaming himself for a 'bad decision' in employing McClaren. Not sure about McClaren at all but having brought him in he should have been backed and this clearly has not happened.

The Falcon
03-10-2011, 02:10 PM
I think that's the crux of it Mikey. It's largely speaking why the previous manager Billy Davies left by most accounts too. A pattern is emerging.

Didnt they allow Davies to overspend by £14m or something? Bankrolled by Doughty? I was surprised to read that Forest outspent all the clubs that finished above them by a quite considerable amount.

Doughty isn't leaving the club but is stepping down as Chairman. According to him the club will still have his backing and he will be involved at the City Ground. He's already ploughed £65m into the club and still receives a lot of stick! He's making noises today, blaming himself for a 'bad decision' in employing McClaren. Not sure about McClaren at all but having brought him in he should have been backed and this clearly has not happened.

Only in football mate. :greengrin

McLaren, despite coming across as a bit of an arse, is a decent manager. Seems like he thought he could do it then, when he got in about it, realised he couldnt. Lack of funds gets everybody off the hook.

stu in nottingham
03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Didnt they allow Davies to overspend by £14m or something? Bankrolled by Doughty? I was surprised to read that Forest outspent all the clubs that finished above them by a quite considerable amount.

Only in football mate. :greengrin

McLaren, despite coming across as a bit of an arse, is a decent manager. Seems like he thought he could do it then, when he got in about it, realised he couldnt. Lack of funds gets everybody off the hook.

Not sure about Billy's spending but that wouldn't surprise me. He's a complex character (some would say an erse!) and I'm sure he had a few sub-agenda's at Forest, even to the point of wanting to get himself sacked. What seems clear to many fans though is that he often didn't get the players he wanted and I think that's where the problems with the transfer panel, and in particular Pleat's involvement/interference comes in. The club went over two years without a recognised left back for example. Much of the wasted money was in the days before Davies set foot in the City Ground and was squandered by people like David Platt who now appears to be widely reviled. He did do a lousy job it has be said. I think a big part of the problem with spending now is the new rules that have come into the game which are going to seriously hurt the club.

When McLaren came in a short while ago he walked into a club that had just released around nine players. Not necessarily that unusual in today's game but obviously Forest had a weak squad in terms of numbers and quality. He made a lot of attempts to bring in quality replacements over the past few weeks but time after the time the situation would go 'cold' and the fans learnt that the players would not be coming to the club. His latest issue was in wanting to bring in two loan signings and having them refused for whatever reason. My gut feeling is that promises and assurances to him made on signing have not been kept. I think he may have done a decent job in time, given the chance, but both arms were tied behind his back. They made a mistake in not sorting out the situation with Davies though in my opinion. He's hard to like and a difficult character, but he knows how to win and I feel sure they could have had some relative success under him. I think many fans feel that too and that has rebounded on McClaren a little.

Neil4Hibs
03-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Interesting blog comment on the McClaren sacking thread in the Guardian:

"Doughty's worst decision was not backing Calderwood with signings when he got us promoted from the 3rd division (with a record number of clean sheets and no recognised strikers, just for the information of those who slag him off - the 'Konw Nowts, as Brian Clough used to call them). He allowed Calderwood to sign Earnshaw and that was it. When you get promoted you need to strengthen all over the field. By Boxing Day we were bottom and Calderwood was sacked.
In the 3 years previous to him coming to Forest he got Northampton to the play-offs twice and then got them promoted automatically. In his first year in charge of Forest he got us to the play-offs and got rid of loads of the dead wood that was hanging around our necks on big wages. In the second season we got automatic promotion, the reserves won their league and the Academy won their league. Things were going really well.
We had a gem in Calderwood but the board and the Know Nowts couldn't see it. He did a root and branch examination of a club that was in terminal decline and changed it around but was not backed when he needed it , i.e. when we regained our Championship status. The ironic thing is that we discarded a slow deliberate builder of a club for two managers (Billy Davies and Steve MacLaren) who the chairman thought could give us instant success when what a club like Forest actually need is a slow deliberate builder. Even more ironic is that Nigel Clough is a slow deliberate builder and he is going to take Derby to success. Galling isn't it?"

Do you think CC could be carrying out a "a slow deliberate build" at Hibs. There are certainly some signs.....

basehibby
03-10-2011, 03:01 PM

"Doughty's worst decision was not backing Calderwood with signings when he got us promoted from the 3rd division (with a record number of clean sheets and no recognised strikers, just for the information of those who slag him off - the 'Konw Nowts, as Brian Clough used to call them). He allowed Calderwood to sign Earnshaw and that was it. When you get promoted you need to strengthen all over the field. By Boxing Day we were bottom and Calderwood was sacked.
In the 3 years previous to him coming to Forest he got Northampton to the play-offs twice and then got them promoted automatically. In his first year in charge of Forest he got us to the play-offs and got rid of loads of the dead wood that was hanging around our necks on big wages. In the second season we got automatic promotion, the reserves won their league and the Academy won their league. Things were going really well.
We had a gem in Calderwood but the board and the Know Nowts couldn't see it. He did a root and branch examination of a club that was in terminal decline and changed it around but was not backed when he needed it , i.e. when we regained our Championship status. The ironic thing is that we discarded a slow deliberate builder of a club for two managers (Billy Davies and Steve MacLaren) who the chairman thought could give us instant success when what a club like Forest actually need is a slow deliberate builder. Even more ironic is that Nigel Clough is a slow deliberate builder and he is going to take Derby to success. Galling isn't it?"

Do you think CC could be carrying out a "a slow deliberate build" at Hibs. There are certainly some signs.....

This has been Calderwood's mantra since he arrived at ER - asking for patience and stating there would be many doubters as things would get worse before they got better.

He was certainly right about the first part of that equation and I'm currently waiting to be convinced that the "better" part is underway - like you say the signs aint bad - time will tell....

Stevie Reid
03-10-2011, 03:03 PM

Definitely the most encouraging thing I've read about CC, nice to get a bit of context regarding the short time he was in charge in the Championship. Interesting that he has been spoken of so fondly, especially given how bad his record has been here - this was another entry following the one you quoted: -

@Vibe.
Doughtys' biggest failing is not backing Calderwood at the right time and letting this transfer panel not back others/buy poorly/miss target.
I was more than happy for championship stability for 2/3 or 4 season rather than go gung ho into the Premiership.
Wonder if CC would come back?...

snooky
03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Pretty much what Celtic fans say about Mowbray yet we view him differently. Opinions eh :greengrin

I seem to recall that he didnt say much so he was being given a kicking for what he didnt say. Hibs overall said very little but, for the avoidance of doubt, let me say he is not a hibee. BB arriving appears to be a good thing but the confusing bit is , we were told by those ITK, that CC was not allowed an assistant. Now he has one, and one that he appears to know quite well, we are now told that all the improvements are down to BB's arrival and nothing to do with the work that has gone on over many months previous.

Emm, include me out. :cool2:

ancient hibee
03-10-2011, 05:55 PM

OK you're out.

blairwallace
04-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Billy Davies being linked back to the job, CC won't go

Gettin' Auld
05-10-2011, 01:07 PM
How do you include someone out?

Is that not "exclude"? :wink:

Hibs On Tour
06-10-2011, 05:59 AM
it

It was CH At BC Who offered the 300k AMc Wanted it RP Said 500K And he is yours NF I am told did not want to go more than 300k.:confused:

Anyone got an Enigma machine lying around? :wink:

snooky
06-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Anyone got an Enigma machine lying around? :wink:

:faf::faf::faf:

dangermouse
06-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Well, they're my English team so hoping we get someone sensible in.

Hibs take priority though so I'd quite happily see CC **** off and Hibs to benefit, but tbh McLaren was never going toget big wages, he's clearly taken the piss here and he can't **** off far enough as far as I'm concerned.

My English team as well. Glad he's gone.

stu in nottingham
06-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Word is that they'll be going for a 'lesser' (i.e. cheaper) name this time around. Former player and manager Paul Hart looks like he's coming back as Technical Director and will have a hand in choosing the new man.

stu in nottingham
07-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Reported today that Forest have been 'unable to agree a compensation deal' with League One Charlton, for Paul Hart, head of the youth academy. There was never really any chance of them paying a bean for Calderwood was there...