PDA

View Full Version : BBC. Before and after game today.

plhibs
01-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Some of the "panel" wondering why G.O. was allowed to play today after 'clearly" cheating on Wednesay, of course no mentiomn of the times that the O.F. players take a dive in games.
Another tube on Your Call saying that because Naismith got banned for his elbow so should Stark, of course he forgot to mention that Stark was being held on the ground by Laughalot while his team had posssion of the ball just outside our penalty area. Hence the reason that we got the free kick.:rolleyes:

Brebners Bookie
01-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Richard Gordon was in a right state over it. "OUTRAGEOUS!"
Have a feeling he aint too fond of hibs.

givescotlandfreedom
01-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Looking forward to their segment of Lafferty's diving today then. Cosgrove's moaning seemed to ignore their pathetic time wasting after TWENTY minutes on Wednesday too; is that not cheating?

.Sean.
02-10-2011, 12:34 AM
The BBC pundits are a bunch of ginger-heided

DAVE1875
02-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Stark? Since when did we have Ironman in goal? :confused:

plhibs
02-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Stark? Since when did we have Ironman in goal? :confused:

Oops didnt notice that:not worth

Gatecrasher
02-10-2011, 09:01 AM
I can't believe people still listen to that pish

basehibby
02-10-2011, 09:26 AM
:shocked: BBC Scotland Sports pundits in complete lack of objectivity and professionalism shock :shocked:

shagpile
02-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Use the 'off' switch. Most radios have one.

matty_f
02-10-2011, 09:36 AM
O'Connor didn't dive so the point is redundant anyway, and beyond that it's a yellow card offence so a ban would be inappropriate imho.

smurf
02-10-2011, 09:54 AM
You forget this is the public service broadcaster. Obviously so have the powers that be at HQ.

Captain Trips
02-10-2011, 09:58 AM
O'Connor didn't dive so the point is redundant anyway, and beyond that it's a yellow card offence so a ban would be inappropriate imho.

IMO he did and cheated and the last thing he should be doing is silly things on field, however GOC has a hell of a long way to go before he reaches the shocking levels of others in SPL Lafferty being one of the worst.

matty_f
02-10-2011, 10:03 AM
IMO he did and cheated and the last thing he should be doing is silly things on field, however GOC has a hell of a long way to go before he reaches the shocking levels of others in SPL Lafferty being one of the worst.

Luckily for us, the referee was of the opinion (correct, IMHO) that O'Connor was fouled, and he was much closer to the action than either you or I, so I think we can give our own player the benefit of the doubt before chucking words like 'cheated' about.

Captain Trips
02-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Luckily for us, the referee was of the opinion (correct, IMHO) that O'Connor was fouled, and he was much closer to the action than either you or I, so I think we can give our own player the benefit of the doubt before chucking words like 'cheated' about.

I am sure the ref has been closer than you or I on plenty of occasions when you thought he was wrong. Why do I need to give him benefit of doubt? I think he cheated.

matty_f
02-10-2011, 10:16 AM
I am sure the ref has been closer than you or I on plenty of occasions when you thought he was wrong. Why do I need to give him benefit of doubt? I think he cheated. You don't need to do anything. You think he cheated, you're entitled to your opinion.I'll continue to back the player who was fouled and scored two of the goals that sent me home happy that night. 'mon Garry, and 'mon the Hibs.

Captain Trips
02-10-2011, 10:20 AM
You don't need to do anything. You think he cheated, you're entitled to your opinion.I'll continue to back the player who was fouled and scored two of the goals that sent me home happy that night. 'mon Garry, and 'mon the Hibs.

I support Garry also, however I think he cheated and I back him also, and if I think any player at Hibs has cheated I will say in a discussion just like you I will defend if I think he hasnt.

matty_f
02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
I support Garry also, however I think he cheated and I back him also, and if I think any player at Hibs has cheated I will say in a discussion just like you I will defend if I think he hasnt. :aok: Good stuff. Did you have a good view of the incident? I'll confess to having been at the other end of the ground when it happened and though the tv pictures were inconclusive there were a couple of good photos that showed the contact (if i wasn't on my phone i'd try and find one but iirc the one in the metro showed it well). There were also a fair few folk that had a great view of it that posted on here that said it was a stonewall penalty as well. The ref was also right at the incident and had a totally unobstructed view of it iirc, and while they make decisions that i think are wrong from my seat, i couldn't tell you how often they're shown to be right when i see the decision later.

Feed McGraw
02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
IMHO there was contact, although Garry did make a bit of a meal of it. Exactly the same as Berra did when there was contact made on him in the Scotland game when all those same BBC eejits were screaming for a penalty.

harry-hibee
02-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Watching this incident on the tv i can see why people could have the view that it was not a penalty but i had the advantage of viewing it from a diferent angle as i was sat in east stand directly in line with incident and my view was it was a clear penalty and the st johnstone player also lifted his arm and i think this what made the refs mind up and he was closer to it than anyone. I turned off the bbc yesterday when Richard Gordon said that it is their duty to highlight diving in football and he clearly said that Garry dived, now i would say it is a least debatable and his remarks are very offensive because Mr Gordon your duty as public broadcaster is to report accurate information and create debate.

DCI Gene Hunt
02-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Seems to be a regular theme on here with people complaining about pundits talking pish, being biased etc.

Agree with everything that's been said but come on, what do we expect? Most of these "experts" consist of corny has-beens, poor managers and very average players who suddenly become "experts" when they land a cushy job at the Beeb. THey're quick to pass comment on stuf, inevitably I end up asking myself "And WTF did you ever know about football?". I don't listen to pundits and their "expert" opinions, because invariably they are always talking sheecht. Who cares what they all think? Best cure to said malaise is the "off" button (or "mute" if watching telly). Let them talk keech amongst themselves, don't pay any attention; not worth it.

Gene

Kato
02-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Agree with everything that's been said but come on, what do we expect?

I expect the BBC to try and remain unbiased.

I wasn't at the game but have watched the pen incident on telly a few times. The St Johnstone player flicks his leg up behind him which could easily have made contact with GOC. Whether it's a pen or not is up to the ref but for anyone else watching it's debatable.

Problem is there hasn't been a debate on the supposedly unbiased BBC - they've decided GOC is a cheat to the point they want him banned.

Completely unprofessional and biased opinion and that sums up that entire programme.

Let's see if next week they are discussing whether Lafferty should be banned or not. Somehow I think it won't even be mentioned.

McD
02-10-2011, 11:22 AM
:shocked: BBC Scotland Sports pundits in complete lack of objectivity and professionalism shock :shocked:

This.

On the very odd occasion I listen to this band of morons, invariably it sounds like a lads pissup in the pub, or a bunch of schoolboys doing an impression of what they think sports commentary is for their drama class.

There's a vast and embarassing gulf between BBC Scotland football radio coverage, and what 5Live do, both in terms of quality and professionalism.

Onceinawhile
02-10-2011, 11:22 AM
What annoyed me was their constant references to a 10 point lead at the top of the league, when they clearly only meant over Celtic, as Motherwell were only 9 points behind. Typical Scottish journalism all about the old firm.

Bayern Bru
02-10-2011, 11:23 AM
IMHO there was contact, although Garry did make a bit of a meal of it. Exactly the same as Berra did when there was contact made on him in the Scotland game when all those same BBC eejits were screaming for a penalty.

Precisely. Yet somehow that has escaped their memory. Still, proof, if any more were needed, that the BBC folk are mostly welts.

BEEJ
02-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Richard Gordon was in a right state over it. "OUTRAGEOUS!"
Have a feeling he aint too fond of hibs.

Looking forward to their segment of Lafferty's diving today then. Cosgrove's moaning seemed to ignore their pathetic time wasting after TWENTY minutes on Wednesday too; is that not cheating?
In practically any other footballing context it would be "the forward exploiting the outstretched leg of a defender and playing for the penalty". "All part of the modern game" etc etc.

But its Hibs and its GO'C so it must be 'cheating' and 'diving' instead. :rolleyes:

Piece of nonsense.

Moulin Yarns
02-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Let's have a look at the available evidence

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/15111890.stm

Watch from 03:40 to see the buildup and incident at 03:46.

IMHO the angle of the defenders leg suggests there was contact, but at another angle it looks like Garry is going down before contact. Very difficult for us, or the pundits, to pass judgement, but the referee is the only person that can make the decision, and he gave the penalty. End off - FACT

Hibs07p
02-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Firstly, the so called experts alter their thoughts on similar incidents depending on the circumstances. If it involves Scotland or the OF gaining an advantage, it suddenly becomes part and parcel of the game, is professional and is to be expected. On the other hand, if it goes against them, or it involves " Diddy " teams it suddenly becomes cheating and is open to debate.
I don't condone cheating in any form, but I have seen Hibs being cheated so many times, and heard it being defended by the so called experts, I don't give a toss what they say anymore.
Whether GOC "cheated" or was being professional, or fouled is immaterial, the referee gave a penalty, we scored and went home happy. The only shameful thing about the incident, is the points of view of the so called experts using the BBC as a forum to attack GOC, because he wasn't wearing a Scotland or CelGers strip.

GGTTH

DCI Gene Hunt
02-10-2011, 11:50 AM
I expect the BBC to try and remain unbiased.

So do I, but it won't happen, because the Old Firm are seemingly the center of the whole wide world of football and impartial, knowledgeable pundits are hard to come by so they just go for the old has-beens instead...

Agree with what's being said re: incidents... for the Old Firm it's "part of the game"... everyone else it's "cheating"... go figure. :rolleyes:

Phannies.

Gene

Captain Trips
02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
We all have different views on this, firstly what the ref gives is totally irrelevant and I wouldnt use that as an argument in his defence however if you feel he didnt dive then this will be something you can use.

IMO I think he cheated but being a Hibs fan I am in a way happy he did that to gain us a penalty however as I think it was a dive and coming from that side of argument I wish he would not be doing it to often in his situation is all, Kyle Lafferty had an Aberdeen player sent off whom never touched him but we felt it was cheating even though ref thought contact. This is all about your own interpretation of what you saw as for me refs make mistakes and I would never use the ref as a backup even in my defence of an argument due to them making untold errors also. we call it how we see it.

Future17
02-10-2011, 03:42 PM
We all have different views on this, firstly what the ref gives is totally irrelevant and I wouldnt use that as an argument in his defence however if you feel he didnt dive then this will be something you can use.

IMO I think he cheated but being a Hibs fan I am in a way happy he did that to gain us a penalty however as I think it was a dive and coming from that side of argument I wish he would not be doing it to often in his situation is all, Kyle Lafferty had an Aberdeen player sent off whom never touched him but we felt it was cheating even though ref thought contact. This is all about your own interpretation of what you saw as for me refs make mistakes and I would never use the ref as a backup even in my defence of an argument due to them making untold errors also. we call it how we see it.

OK, I'll bite. :rolleyes:

You've used the word "cheated a few times. In what way do you think he cheated? Or, to put it another way, you don't think it was a penalty?

Captain Trips
02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
OK, I'll bite. :rolleyes:

You've used the word "cheated a few times. In what way do you think he cheated? Or, to put it another way, you don't think it was a penalty?

IMO I think he dived so that IMO is cheating, so no I do not think it was a penalty. I do not think it is anything to bite on, I 100% think he dived so thats cheating if others think it was a penalty then they think not a dive. If there is an argument that if a player dives he has not cheated then that is up to each individual person's tolerances is it not. I think a dive is cheating some may not think same.

basehibby
02-10-2011, 04:12 PM

:agree: very similar incidents - both penalties IMO.

matty_f
02-10-2011, 04:16 PM
IMO I think he dived so that IMO is cheating, so no I do not think it was a penalty. I do not think it is anything to bite on, I 100% think he dived so thats cheating if others think it was a penalty then they think not a dive. If there is an argument that if a player dives he has not cheated then that is up to each individual person's tolerances is it not. I think a dive is cheating some may not think same.What makes you think he dived? Did you get a good view of the foul or was it just the tv pictures you're going on?The ref and many others who had a great view of it all called it as a penalty, therefore i think it's extremely harsh to be labelling him a cheat. Surely if there was uncertainty around it you'd give him the benefit of the doubt rather than labelling him a cheat?

smurf
02-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I can't believe this is being debated in this way! Absolutely ridiculous comments calling Garry a cheat etc. If the pen was given against us yes I would be upset but surely if you make contact with a forward player running at you then that's the risk you take. Garry cleverly won us the penalty. It wasn't cheating. Oh and he won us the game. Thankfully...

Captain Trips
02-10-2011, 04:51 PM
What makes you think he dived? Did you get a good view of the foul or was it just the tv pictures you're going on?The ref and many others who had a great view of it all called it as a penalty, therefore i think it's extremely harsh to be labelling him a cheat. Surely if there was uncertainty around it you'd give him the benefit of the doubt rather than labelling him a cheat?

I think he dived, I am sure in your time watching football you thought somebody dived and a friend didnt, I am confident everyone on here has thought a player dived and another person thought he didnt and vice verca. what makes me think he dived? I think he chucked himself down that is why I think he dived the same way anyone whom thinks a player dives.

Again the ref is used subjectivly in your opinion this time he was right on this occasion I thought he was wrong, there isnt any uncertantity about for me that is why I am strong in my view he dived.

Captain Trips
02-10-2011, 04:59 PM
I can't believe this is being debated in this way! Absolutely ridiculous comments calling Garry a cheat etc. If the pen was given against us yes I would be upset but surely if you make contact with a forward player running at you then that's the risk you take. Garry cleverly won us the penalty. It wasn't cheating. Oh and he won us the game. Thankfully...

How? I think he did, but just because I think he did doesnt make him one does it in the eyes of everyone, I think he is on what I think makes a player a cheat, you dont so thats fine just like you will think a player is good I may think is crap who is right or wrong? neither as thats our own opinion.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Just to show how the beeb don't have any agendas then, I am expecting the next Celtc game to have Tony Mowbray as a guest summariser and I am looking forward to them all agreeing that he got the big hook for less than the situation that Lennon has them in.

clerriehibs
02-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I think he dived, I am sure in your time watching football you thought somebody dived and a friend didnt, I am confident everyone on here has thought a player dived and another person thought he didnt and vice verca. what makes me think he dived? I think he chucked himself down that is why I think he dived the same way anyone whom thinks a player dives.

Again the ref is used subjectivly in your opinion this time he was right on this occasion I thought he was wrong, there isnt any uncertantity about for me that is why I am strong in my view he dived.

Can't deny he was clever about it - or made a meal of it - but chucking yourself down certainly doesn't mean he wasn't fouled. I wasn't at the game but, Looking at the tv pictures, I think he was fouled, It's far from conclusive, but I've looked at the same pictures as are (I assume) available to the radio scotland pundits. No way can they justify their outrage on those pictures.

givescotlandfreedom
02-10-2011, 06:23 PM
BBC online highlights didn't bother to show Laffery's diving, which he was booked for. Apparently Agogo scored against St Johnstone too. Liam McLeod really needs to get his eyes tested!

Captain Trips
02-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Can't deny he was clever about it - or made a meal of it - but chucking yourself down certainly doesn't mean he wasn't fouled. I wasn't at the game but, Looking at the tv pictures, I think he was fouled, It's far from conclusive, but I've looked at the same pictures as are (I assume) available to the radio scotland pundits. No way can they justify their outrage on those pictures.

I agree there are far far worse culprits than GOC and in his career thus far this is the first time I recall something like this.

Forthview
02-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I had a perfect view of the pen, was in the West stand looking right along the 18 yard line.
GOC cut in from the corner of the box heading accross to get infront of the goals and get a shot away, the defender didnt touch the ball but impeded GOC.
No reason for GOC to take evasive action and collided with the defender.
Free kick in the centre circle, 12 yards out in front of the goals is a free kich from 12 yards out, in other words a pen.
Thats how I saw it, no diving no cheating just blocked by the defender who didnt touch the ball.:rolleyes:

Kato
02-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I think he dived

Doesn't mean you are right. Going off on one about cheating because "you think", just like Richard Gordon in fact. The decision is at least debatable.

grunt
02-10-2011, 09:48 PM
... in his career thus far this is the first time I recall something like this.In that case you seem to have forgotten the Scotland game vs Lithuania where Mikolunias got into so much trouble for diving. Garry was accused of diving in that game as well.

Captain Trips
02-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Doesn't mean you are right. Going off on one about cheating because "you think", just like Richard Gordon in fact. The decision is at least debatable.

And if you read my other post I said it doesnt make me right, it is your opinion its debatable I think he dived, im sure "you think" things as well that you think are right to you but not others, no?

Captain Trips
02-10-2011, 09:57 PM
In that case you seem to have forgotten the Scotland game vs Lithuania where Mikolunias got into so much trouble for diving. Garry was accused of diving in that game as well.

Yes I have forgotten as I have not kept a microscopic account of his matches, as far I was aware he is a player I didnt think had dived from my memory of him at Hibs.

Kato
02-10-2011, 10:43 PM
im sure "you think" things as well that you think are right to you but not others, no?

I think a lot of things. Doesn't mean to say I have to write each and every one of them up on the internet.

There are other eye witness opinions up on here ranging from never a pen to stone-waller. It's being debated so I am, in this case correct. It's debatable.

The debate, for me personally, hinges on the defender's leg being flicked up backwards as GOC goes past him - others have different angles to call from other than the telly and they are too debating it.

Definitely "debatable" so to say "he's a cheat" is a bit over the top.

Captain Trips
02-10-2011, 10:59 PM
I think a lot of things. Doesn't mean to say I have to write each and every one of them up on the internet.

There are other eye witness opinions up on here ranging from never a pen to stone-waller. It's being debated so I am, in this case correct. It's debatable.

The debate, for me personally, hinges on the defender's leg being flicked up backwards as GOC goes past him - others have different angles to call from other than the telly and they are too debating it.

Definitely "debatable" so to say "he's a cheat" is a bit over the top.

Thats your opinion its debatable even if 30 folk are debating it means they are unsure, why is it so hard to get I dont see it that way I am 100% its a dive so I am not part of that debate. Just like when you in your time in going to football where convinced of something strongly when others were unsure I am sure thats happened to all fans.

Why is saying he cheated over the top? If it is for others a debatable penalty then surely cheating is a factor is it not?

Kato
03-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Thats your opinion its debatable even if 30 folk are debating it means they are unsure,

No. It means some are sure either way and others are open minded.

why is it so hard to get I dont see it that way I am 100% its a dive so I am not part of that debate.

If you thought it was a dive then fair do's. Looking at others posts on here who saw things from a different to yours being saying they saw a foul means your "100% cheat" looks a bit harsh.

Just like when you in your time in going to football where convinced of something strongly when others were unsure I am sure thats happened to all fans.

It has but I've never thought about pointing "cheat" at a player about it all over a message board.

Why is saying he cheated over the top?

If I had been there and saw from your angle what looked like a dive but then read perfectly valid other accounts which claimed they saw a foul I'd think twice before labeling him a cheat.

Just saying.

smurf
03-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Billy Brown says he dived!

Kaiser1962
03-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Diving/cheating is so ingrained it is now part of the game. There would have to be a wholesale change of thinking/attitudes if the authorities were to try to stamp it out. Watch any game and you will see many instances of diving or feigning injury. Claiming for throw ins/corners when you clearly know it's not yours. Even the pundits talk about being "entitled to go down if there's contact" when I always thought a foul was when you get knocked down and couldnt avoid it.

bawheid
03-10-2011, 07:57 AM
I listened to Radio Scotland's coverage on this at the weekend. I hadn't listened for a while.

What on earth has happened to Richard Gordon? He used to be a very decent anchorman. He never really used to provide much of an opinion, but instead made sure order was kept as the "experts" debated the issues of the day. Now he seems to have awarded himself "expert" status and provides his loud opinions on a range of topics. He came across as a total f@nny and has gone way down in my estimation.

After listening to the segment on Garry O'Connor I was left with the opinion that the Sportsound team are kinda getting off on the emailed complaints of Hibs fans and so decided to try and wind us up a bit more. I'll probably not bother listening again.

Captain Trips
03-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Other people do have valid accounts to them. I think for me my account is valid just because lots of people are left unsure that is how they feel. I have been unsure of decisions and others had a clear decision in their mind

Hibs07p
03-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Stack's about to get "crucified" on STV sport very shortly for holding down Lafferty. They're questioning if he should be punished retrospectively.

Apparently the SFA according to STV will decide tomorrow whether GS should face a charge of violent conduct, as Naismith was punished for what happened last week at Dunfermline.

duffers
04-10-2011, 07:38 AM
I was at the other end of the east stand for the incident and it looked like a penalty. The highlights I have seen so far, you can't actually tell if there was contact or not. So is there actually any footage which clearly shows there was no contact made? And as many have said above, if it was a dive, in a game it would be a yellow card, so howcome its now a 2 game suspension!?

down-the-slope
04-10-2011, 08:19 AM

:faf: aye as Gary impersonated superman and was already flying horizontally....clear dive for me as soon as it happened.

Don't like this from any player, but the problem is that if its not stamped on all the time then players will always use the 'rules' to gain an advantage if they can...we have been on the end of similar and its not good for the game.

hibsbollah
04-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Billy Brown says he dived!

Stupid of Brown to say that. He doesnt KNOW Garry dived so its a subjective opinion, nothing more. And the club is now appealing, as we've just been told, which makes it even more ridiculous.

smurf
04-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Stupid of Brown to say that. He doesnt KNOW Garry dived so its a subjective opinion, nothing more. And the club is now appealing, as we've just been told, which makes it even more ridiculous.

I was quite shocked at how frank BB was...

hibsbollah
04-10-2011, 08:47 AM
I was quite shocked at how frank BB was...

Me too. In future he should be less frank and more Franck :greengrin

Hibs7
04-10-2011, 09:42 AM
So what happens in all the games that are not televised, if they are not monitored then this is a case of discrimination.