PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray

Dunbar Hibee
01-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Thought it was funny when he went down got booed got up and started clapping the Huns sarcastically :agree: Also seen him kiss the badge to them, no matter what you think of him the passion is there. One Ian Murray.:flag:

lucky
01-10-2011, 06:55 PM
He played well today . He is limited as a footballer but always tries

Albion Hibs
01-10-2011, 06:59 PM
There is always one that cant resist having a shot at his ability.

Looked like he took a dull one and is never one that will stay down, again showed his committment to get back and IMO played brilliantly today. If we had another 10 with that commitment we would be a far better team.

matty_f
01-10-2011, 07:01 PM
I think he's been good since being shifted to centre half. He's much more effective there than at centre-mid or left back, and as mentioned, it's taken a bit of heat off of Hanlon, who has been much better at left back than he has at centre half.

The good thing about Murray at CH is he's not found out for pace nearly as often as elsewhere, and he can clearly read the game well as his covering and positioning has been good since playing at CH as well.

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Thought he had his best game in a long time today :agree: Much better at the back.

nortonhibby
01-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Thought it was funny when he went down got booed got up and started clapping the Huns sarcastically :agree: Also seen him kiss the badge to them, no matter what you think of him the passion is there. One Ian Murray.:flag:

yip i recall him kissing the rangers badge when he left as well:confused:

scoopyboy
01-10-2011, 07:47 PM
I think he's been good since being shifted to centre half. He's much more effective there than at centre-mid or left back, and as mentioned, it's taken a bit of heat off of Hanlon, who has been much better at left back than he has at centre half.

The good thing about Murray at CH is he's not found out for pace nearly as often as elsewhere, and he can clearly read the game well as his covering and positioning has been good since playing at CH as well.

CH is unfortunately last chance saloon for Nid, he no longer can play midfield or left back.

I think the remainder of his contract will see him at CH.

Albion Hibs
01-10-2011, 07:56 PM
CH is unfortunately last chance saloon for Nid, he no longer can play midfield or left back.

Thought he was one of our best players when he was playing at CM, and played well at LB which would imply he can still play in both those positions as well as CH and consistantly perform for us. He has played in three different positions already this season, each time chasing round the deficient areas in the team and doing more than just a job at each time. Him and O'Hanlon were fantastic today. And I think at times some fans should be a little more grateful that we have a player like that, which thinks about the clubs first rather than ones that are constantly up the town, throwing tracksuits about, turning up late, and having a huffy fit each time they are taken off.

nortonhibby
01-10-2011, 07:59 PM

How long has he got ? to be fair its time for him to go down a league to maybee a Falkirk or Dundee type team next season.
We need fresh fit young players to move forward.:flag:

PaulSmith
01-10-2011, 07:59 PM
yip i recall him kissing the rangers badge when he left as well:confused:

Did he, can't recall that?

3pm
01-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Thought he was one of our best players when he was playing at CM, and played well at LB which would imply he can still play in both those positions as well as CH and consistantly perform for us. He has played in three different positions already this season, each time chasing round the deficient areas in the team and doing more than just a job at each time. Him and O'Hanlon were fantastic today. And I think at times some fans should be a little more grateful that we have a player like that, which thinks about the clubs first rather than ones that are constantly up the town, throwing tracksuits about, turning up late, and having a huffy fit each time they are taken off.

I agree. We should appreciate him more.

Tell him I said that when you are round washing his car tomorrow.

hibsbollah
01-10-2011, 08:05 PM

You're very consistent in lauding Murray every time he plays so thats not really a surprise.

The way it looks to me is he's given himself a reprieve now by having a couple of good games at centreback, and if he continues to play well there then great, credit to both Ian and the manager for giving him the chance there. But lets be honest, hes finished as a full back. A blind man tied up in a sack at the bottom of a mine with no interest in football could see that.

Kaiser1962
01-10-2011, 08:06 PM

Neither do I.

Kaiser1962
01-10-2011, 08:07 PM

He's always preferred playing elsewhere but I have always felt that CH is his best position. He dosent think so though.

Albion Hibs
01-10-2011, 08:12 PM
You're very consistent in lauding Murray every time he plays so thats not really a surprise.

The way it looks to me is he's given himself a reprieve now by having a couple of good games at centreback, and if he continues to play well there then great, credit to both Ian and the manager for giving him the chance there. But lets be honest, hes finished as a full back. A blind man tied up in a sack at the bottom of a mine with no interest in football could see that.

Did you think that during the motherwell game? Or the Dundee Utd game, be honest over the duration of the entire game?

I was at both those games, and that did not appear to be the case, anything but. So let be honest, in your opinion (based on the fact I assume you were at these games) then you dont think he is good enough there. We have a management team that has a view that is a lot more worthy or yours that would differ in opinion.

nortonhibby
01-10-2011, 08:13 PM

To be fair it was against the PBS Shelter mob in an easy win:flag:

hibsbollah
01-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Did you think that during the motherwell game? Or the Dundee Utd game, be honest over the duration of the entire game?

I was at both those games, and that did not appear to be the case, anything but. So let be honest, in your opinion (based on the fact I assume you were at these games) then you dont think he is good enough there. We have a management team that has a view that is a lot more worthy or yours that would differ in opinion.

No, we have a management team that have moved him OUT of that position (the reason why is fairly obvious; most SPL players have had him for toast there for quite a while) and moved him into a NEW position where his lack of pace is not so exposed.

Albion Hibs
01-10-2011, 08:23 PM
No, we have a management team that have moved him OUT of that position (the reason why is fairly obvious; most SPL players have had him for toast there for quite a while) and moved him into a NEW position where his lack of pace is not so exposed.

I will take that as you saw neither game, if that is the case then you are not basing your opinion on anything other than......well nothing.

The most recent of the two games it was pretty evident that Utd moved to putting everything at the right side of our defense after attempting down the left and failing, that of course being where both their goals came from.

OP made a good attempt at trying to pull out something quite positive from today...well dont for the negative hijack I am sure it comes pretty naturally to you.

greenlex
01-10-2011, 08:26 PM
To be fair it was against the PBS Shelter mob in an easy win:flag:

Didn't happen. Links to messsageboards or photo please. Proof that this happened. Go on I bet you cant.

blackpoolhibs
01-10-2011, 08:29 PM
I don rate murray but even i thought he played well today.

3pm
01-10-2011, 08:31 PM
I don rate murray bit even

He was decent the day to be fair.

Feed McGraw
01-10-2011, 08:31 PM
He's always preferred playing elsewhere but I have always felt that CH is his best position. He dosent think so though.

I`ve thought that for a while too, that it is his best position. Unfortunately Hanlon has been poor at CH for a while now and I thought Murray should have been there weeks ago.

hibsbollah
01-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I will take that as you saw neither game, if that is the case then you are not basing your opinion on anything other than......well nothing.

The most recent of the two games it was pretty evident that Utd moved to putting everything at the right side of our defense after attempting down the left and failing, that of course being where both their goals came from.

OP made a good attempt at trying to pull out something quite positive from today...well dont for the negative hijack I am sure it comes pretty naturally to you.

You are a funny old bird :greengrin I dont generally do negativity, but feel free to develop a new feud with me since blackpool isnt around. I was at dundee utd and watched motherwell on the box. Im a season ticket holder and dont really need to take lessons on what im allowed to have an opinion on, thanks. I am objective about the team; if Murray is playing well, im delighted, if hes having a 'mare ill point it out.

Lets be honest, you have become a bit of a laughing stock for the massive man-love you are clearly carrying for Ian. If he burgled your house you'd probably apologise for the state of the place before asking for his autograph.

nortonhibby
01-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Hide under
Didn't happen. Links to messsageboards or photo please. Proof that this happened. Go on I bet you cant.

You are RP I know it:flag:

nortonhibby
01-10-2011, 08:37 PM

Prove you are not RP ?:flag:

scoopyboy
01-10-2011, 08:37 PM

As much as I like Nid he was moved to left back from midfield because he wasn't playing well.

Similarly after giving the ball away constantly against Dundee Utd and Motherwell it was obvious that he wasn't going to be playing at left back any longer.

He actually identified either last season or the season before that by playing in centre defence he could play longer so its no surprise he's there now.

The man gives everything and I wish every player would give as much as him but he is nearly done, through no fault of his own I may add.

blackpoolhibs
01-10-2011, 08:38 PM
You are a funny old bird :greengrin I dont generally do negativity, but feel free to develop a new feud with me since blackpool isnt around. I was at dundee utd and watched motherwell on the box. Im a season ticket holder and dont really need to take lessons on what im allowed to have an opinion on, thanks. I am objective about the team; if Murray is playing well, im delighted, if hes having a 'mare ill point it out.

Lets be honest, you have become a bit of a laughing stock for the massive man-love you are clearly carrying for Ian. If he burgled your house you'd probably apologise for the state of the place before asking for his autograph.
hahaha murray has been pish for a long time, and I have said so. Today he played well and I don't mind saying so. I hope I am saying it more often.

greenlex
01-10-2011, 08:39 PM

I am not claiming to be RP. I don't need to prove anything. You are claiming Murray kissed the Rangers badge. Prove it.:wink:

nortonhibby
01-10-2011, 08:45 PM
I am not claiming to be RP. I don't need to prove anything. You are claiming Murray kissed the Rangers badge. Prove it.:wink:

Found out Tache prove it ?:na na:

blackpoolhibs
01-10-2011, 08:48 PM
I don't think he kissed their badge, but he did give us the finger.

greenlex
01-10-2011, 08:48 PM

You are boring the tits off me now. Prove what you are claiming or just shut up.

greenlex
01-10-2011, 08:50 PM
I don't think he kissed their badge, but he did give us the finger.

yes he did and to be fair so would I:greengrin

HNA1
01-10-2011, 08:53 PM

You are boring the tits off me now. Prove what you are claiming or just shut up.

Gonnae cut this nonsense out before it goes further please?

p.s. I don't think Nid kissed the badge either, FWIW.:greengrin

Jonnyboy
01-10-2011, 08:55 PM

Neither can I. Urban myth grown out of his reaction to Hibs fans at Ibrox when they were giving him dogs abuse

blackpoolhibs
01-10-2011, 08:57 PM
yes he did and to be fair so would I:greengrin

Aye there's a few I'd like to give the finger to. Lol.

nortonhibby
01-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Gonnae cut this nonsense out before it goes further please?

p.s. I don't think Nid kissed the badge either, FWIW.:greengrin

i stand down but he did give the finger RP Is right again.:confused:

tamig
01-10-2011, 08:59 PM

You're coming across as a right tube :rolleyes:

Jonnyboy
01-10-2011, 09:00 PM
i stand down but he did give the finger RP Is right again.:confused:

Yes he gave the finger - shock horror. He was getting dogs abuse and reacted - get over it. You claim he kissed the Rangers badge - prove it :wink:

nortonhibby
01-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Yes he gave the finger - shock horror. He was getting dogs abuse and reacted - get over it. You claim he kissed the Rangers badge - prove it :wink:

I Got it wrong he gave the finger good enough for me:flag:iamed at the PBS:flag:

tamig
01-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Neither can I. Urban myth grown out of his reaction to Hibs fans at Ibrox when they were giving him dogs abuse

Exactly. I can remember the reaction of some of the fans at Ibrox that day who'd been giving him all sorts when he made his gesture. I couldn't have cared as we'd just gubbed them big style.

Albion Hibs
01-10-2011, 09:06 PM

I think you will find Blackpool is around, and it appears he may have been there today and bought a packet of Smarties off one of the locals outside Ibrox which was in fact pure Valium!!

I never said you were or were not allowed to have an opinion, I just said it was rubbish!

Today sums it up for me, there was a very small hibs crowd, all very much behind the team for 90+mins, our captain like other players put in a very good shift, he plays for the colours, and gives everything and never hides, he wound up the huns which was very enjoyable.

I am the same to every hibs player that gives as much to the team, that does not mean I am heading to east mains car park with a spounge but I recognise committment, if I saw that from the same I would be the same with them all, but simple put you dont. I was very much the same with Jones and numerous other players over the years. Players that show passion and commitment to Hibernian football club will always find favour with me.

It grates on me when some take such sly cheap shots at one of our own.

Kaiser1962
01-10-2011, 09:11 PM

Normally he just puts "FACT!" at the end of each statement which appears to be all that is required to back up his utterances.

Davy Mac
01-10-2011, 09:38 PM
How long has he got ? to be fair its time for him to go down a league to maybee a Falkirk or Dundee type team next season.
We need fresh fit young players to move forward.:flag:

Sorry, don't agree with that statement at all.

Murray will see out his career at Hibs and then move into our back room staff, we need guys like him around our club that actually care rather than the bunch of pretenders who masquerade about until their next move.

Nah, he would be wasted on teams like Falkirk/Dundee etc and I personally think he is destined for much bigger things at the Hibees.

smurf
01-10-2011, 11:38 PM

Maybe last chance saloon but maybe somewhere he could stick around for a few years. I think he has a real talent in actually reading the game well...

leither17
02-10-2011, 12:01 AM
I think you will find Blackpool is around, and it appears he may have been there today and bought a packet of Smarties off one of the locals outside Ibrox which was in fact pure Valium!!I never said you were or were not allowed to have an opinion, I just said it was rubbi*****oday sums it up for me, there was a very small hibs crowd, all very much behind the team for 90+mins, our captain like other players put in a very good shift, he plays for the colours, and gives everything and never hides, he wound up the huns which was very enjoyable. I am the same to every hibs player that gives as much to the team, that does not mean I am heading to east mains car park with a spounge but I recognise committment, if I saw that from the same I would be the same with them all, but simple put you dont. I was very much the same with Jones and numerous other players over the years. Players that show passion and commitment to Hibernian football club will always find favour with me. It grates on me when some take such sly cheap shots at one of our own. Great post I agree 100%

Twiglet
02-10-2011, 12:24 AM
I wasn't at todays game, but I thought he played well on Wednesday. Some people say he's lost his pace, but he out-ran his man on many occassions.
I am happier with him and O'Hanlon at CB at the moment, things seem calmer/more solid. I'm not bothered which position he plays though, as long as he plays well!

.Sean.
02-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Neither can I. Urban myth grown out of his reaction to Hibs fans at Ibrox when they were giving him dogs abuse Precisely. If around a thousand folk were persecuting me for an hour and a half, i'd rise to it. I find folk who take offence to footballers dishing a wee bit back utterly pathetic, tbh.

Beefster
02-10-2011, 09:39 AM

Better him than Hanlon.

blackpoolhibs
02-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Better him than Hanlon.

Not so sure about that, and i dont think Hanlon is particularly good either. Yesterday Murray played very well imo, someone else has pointed out he is better when the game is played in front of him, and centre half is imo where he will play his best. We can all argue how he gets ripped at full back, or cant get near a tackle in the midfield, these are my opinions and i stand by them.

Murray was good yesterday, and if he played like that every week i'd be delighted, and would have him in the side on merit. Against the weaker teams, when our midfield are not so tight, not so happy to keep their positions and are pushing on further forward, i wonder if Murray will be quite so good? I have witnessed his performances before at centre half, Ayr United??? And thought he was poor in that position too. So like our win midweek, although welcome and needed, i will reserve judgement on whether Murray and indeed Hibs are suddenly good again.

scoopyboy
02-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Maybe last chance saloon but maybe somewhere he could stick around for a few years. I think he has a real talent in actually reading the game well...

I wouldn't be against Ian Murray staying on at Hibs when his current deal expires, but not as a player.

I know how committed he is to the club and has already started coaching I think with a non league team.

I think its his reading of the game that gets him by in a match these days.

Argylehibby
02-10-2011, 06:46 PM
There is always one that cant resist having a shot at his ability.

Looked like he took a dull one and is never one that will stay down, again showed his committment to get back and IMO played brilliantly today. If we had another 10 with that commitment we would be a far better team.

:agree: Was a contender for MOM IMO.

Kaiser1962
02-10-2011, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't be against Ian Murray staying on at Hibs when his current deal expires, but not as a player.

I know how committed he is to the club and has already started coaching I think with a non league team.

I met him two or three times at Coldstream last season. Dont know if he's still there or not.

Forza Fred
02-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Ian Murray is coming to the end of his career, as unstoppably happens to every player, even Pele, Marardona etc..

I think he would be the first to say..'

""I dont pick the team, and as long as I'm available and picked, I'll play and do my best, if the manáger thinks there is anybody better to put in my place, then that's up to him, not me"

Nobody can ask any more of him than that.

He has lived the dream by managing to play for his boyhood heroes, and I'm sure many of us would like to have done likewise.

I was at Ibrox when he 'gave us t'he finger'....we were actually chanting..... "Murray, Murray, look at the score"....(which was 3-0 thanks to Ivan) and I was astounded by the reaction of some 'holy willies'after the game, to Ian's recipricol action....almost along the lines of.. ""íts ok for us to give it to someone tight, but they are not allowed to react in any way'"

In summary, Ian, whose career is winding down due to age, has been a fine servant to Hibs, and hopefully will serve us again in some capacity after his playing career is over - I believe the club can only benefit by having people like him around.

While not above reasoned criticism for any possible actions on the field ,he still deserves to be treated respectfully.

BoltonHibee
02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Ian Murray is coming to the end of his career, as unstoppably happens to every player, even Pele, Marardona etc..

I think he would be the first to say..'

""I dont pick the team, and as long as I'm available and picked, I'll play and do my best, if the manáger thinks there is anybody better to put in my place, then that's up to him, not me"

Nobody can ask any more of him than that.

He has lived the dream by managing to play for his boyhood heroes, and I'm sure many of us would like to have done likewise.

I was at Ibrox when he 'gave us t'he finger'....we were actually chanting..... "Murray, Murray, look at the score"....(which was 3-0 thanks to Ivan) and I was astounded by the reaction of some 'holy willies'after the game, to Ian's recipricol action....almost along the lines of.. ""íts ok for us to give it to someone tight, but they are not allowed to react in any way'"

In summary, Ian, whose career is winding down due to age, has been a fine servant to Hibs, and hopefully will serve us again in some capacity after his playing career is over - I believe the club can only benefit by having people like him around.

While not above reasoned criticism for any possible actions on the field ,he still deserves to be treated respectfully.

FFS Fred you used to be full of ****, why now so wise :)

Albion Hibs
02-10-2011, 09:29 PM

I dont know if I agree with that, it will be interesting to see how the rest of the season pans out and if he continues at CH which I think he should.

If he was a CH that we signed in the summer that came to the club and put in performances like he did against St J and Rangers I would be thinking we have signed a decent CH. I dont see why it should be any different because he has been at the club for so long.

Scouse Hibee
02-10-2011, 09:40 PM

Surely you mean it's his reading of the game together with his passion,commitment, experience, ability and fitness that makes him a dependable CH.

lucky
02-10-2011, 10:01 PM
In midfield for the last two season he has been poor. At left back he did ok but played well at center half. So to me it makes sence to play him there

Forza Fred
02-10-2011, 10:43 PM
FFS Fred you used to be full of ****, why now so wise :)

Moray

Wisdom is born out of sobriety :wink:

scoopyboy
03-10-2011, 05:34 AM
I dont know if I agree with that, it will be interesting to see how the rest of the season pans out and if he continues at CH which I think he should.

If he was a CH that we signed in the summer that came to the club and put in performances like he did against St J and Rangers I would be thinking we have signed a decent CH. I dont see why it should be any different because he has been at the club for so long.

It is getting harder and harder for Ian to train and play is my understanding.

He has to prepare for both well before other players arrive and this on its own speaks volumes for the man. Even more admirable is that I have never heard him complain about it or even make reference to it in the media.

I had heard he may be looking at America where the climate may help him play longer.

hibsbollah
03-10-2011, 07:08 AM
It is getting harder and harder for Ian to train and play is my understanding.

He has to prepare for both well before other players arrive and this on its own speaks volumes for the man. Even more admirable is that I have never heard him complain about it or even make reference to it in the media.

I had heard he may be looking at America where the climate may help him play longer.

Thats interesting scoopy. Ice packs, stretching muscles, that kind of thing?

Not at the same level as professional sportsmen, obviously...but ive recently taken up distance running after years with not much exercise and the recovery time for your joints is much longer when youre 40 compared to your early twenties. It would be interesting to know (without giving personal stuff away, of course) the kind of efforts hes going to. And yes, its a LOT less painful on your joints/musclesin a hot climate!