PDA

View Full Version : Jody Morris

PPZPOL
29-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Thought this guy was head and shoulders above everyone on the park last night, always had space and time and never seems to give the ball away, how I long for a guy like him in the Hibs team. Seemed to be talking his way through the game and helping the other lads in the St. Johnstone team as well. You'd have thought that he's had offers and other options so is he one of the good guys in football who has shown some loyalty to Derek McInnes and St. Johnstone? I know it's always a bit disrespectful to say Hibs should sign him just because he is at a side/club who we think we are better than (although I have to say I thought they moved the ball about quicker than us and was impressed with them the 3 times I seen them last season). Have we been scared off signing midget midfielders due to the past array of dwarves that we've had (Keenan, Rankin, Stevenson, Chisholm, LMiller etc), we seem to have changed that around and have bigger more athletic chaps like Palsson & Osbourne but the way Morris sat in front of his back 4 and continually got on the ball was nice to see.

I must add that I think that Towell done well in the centre mid when he went in there, seemed to be showing for the ball alot and getting involved in the play. I did think him and Osbourne sat too deep allowing Morris to dictate the play but maybe Morris is just a good player who makes good space for himself.

BEEJ
29-09-2011, 11:08 AM
He did play well; but I thought we gave him too much time and space to dictate their play and start off their moves.

If Morris had been playing for us last night he would not have been given the same luxury and would have been closed down much more quickly. Why was Scott not assigned to mark him out of the game? :dunno:

PPZPOL
29-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Beej - 100% agree with your assessment about the time and space he was afforded. It was quite obvious that he was dropping off to pick up play and nobody was really assigned to pressing him higher up the park.

Maybe it was to be expected being on such a rotten run at home in the league but I'd have thought that would have taken quite a bit of pressure off us defensively if we could have played a bit higher up the park.

SteveHFC
29-09-2011, 11:21 AM
I wish John Collins signed him a few years ago for us. He is a decent player. :agree:

alfieboi75
29-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Morris got himself into spaces....he kept it simply whereas Ozzy n Victor sat too deep at times....there was a point where Millar was allowed so much space that he ran towards our goal without being marked....shocking!!

I do hope CC, or BB, realize this is a kind of player we need for our team.

As for Saturday....Come on The Hi Bees!!!:flag:

Geo_1875
29-09-2011, 11:34 AM
St Johnstone had 60% possession last night, 50% in their own half completely unchallenged. Everything they created went through Morris. You can't jump in on him because he'll do you every time. Either by making you look stupid or snapping at your ankles. He'll also never go back to a "big" club down South because he's got more baggage than any of Hibs bad boys of recent years.

Baldy
29-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Morris may have been very good last night but he has a nasty streak, and should have been sent off for that horrific tackle on Palsson at the end

Beefster
29-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I could be imagining this but wasn't Morris on trial or seriously linked with us before he signed for St Johnstone?

Stevie Reid
29-09-2011, 02:20 PM
I could be imagining this but wasn't Morris on trial or seriously linked with us before he signed for St Johnstone?

Don't know if it was official but I'd heard lots of rumours that JC had him on trial prior to him signing for St. Johnstone.

Hibs Class
29-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Morris may have been very good last night but he has a nasty streak, and should have been sent off for that horrific tackle on Palsson at the end I agree. It was just an assault. He was lucky that it was in the last minute and on the edge of our box and so the ref showed leniency which he didnt really deserve.

Bayern Bru
29-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Not Hibs height.

:wink:

Gettin' Auld
29-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Aye that rings bells with me too......I am Gettin' Auld though. :greengrin

PPZPOL
29-09-2011, 05:38 PM
A centre midfielder with a nasty streak? That'll never catch on :wink:

All jokes aside I didn't think the tackle near the end was too bad, I've not seen a replay and I was at the opposite end of the ground so just going on what I thought at the time, to me it looked like both players were going for a loose ball and Palsson thankfully nicked it before Morris, the speed at which it happened made it look worse I think, just watched the BBC highlights to see if it showed it there but didn't so again I'm only going on what I saw in real time last night.

I just thought he went about the game how I hoped Liam Miller would for us when he came to the club, to an extent he did but not enough and I always felt he was a bit powder puff and didn't have that "nasty streak" which Baldy mentioned that Morris has.

Hibs Class
29-09-2011, 05:51 PM
A centre midfielder with a nasty streak? That'll never catch on :wink:

All jokes aside I didn't think the tackle near the end was too bad, I've not seen a replay and I was at the opposite end of the ground so just going on what I thought at the time, to me it looked like both players were going for a loose ball and Palsson thankfully nicked it before Morris, the speed at which it happened made it look worse I think, just watched the BBC highlights to see if it showed it there but didn't so again I'm only going on what I saw in real time last night.

I just thought he went about the game how I hoped Liam Miller would for us when he came to the club, to an extent he did but not enough and I always felt he was a bit powder puff and didn't have that "nasty streak" which Baldy mentioned that Morris has.

I was at the back of the East, level with the halfway line. VP got to the ball first by some distance and kicked it on to then chase which would have been a breakaway for us. Morris knew he was late and had no chance of getting the ball and made a beeline for VP and he had to reach to bring him down.

truehibernian
29-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Jason Koumas is a free agent, and I see his agent was saying last week he (Koumas) is considering retiring, having just turned 32.

I think he would be an ideal midfielder for Hibs. Experience, skill, good creativity. Much like Jody Morris, who I have always thought is a great wee player for St Johnstone.

hibsbollah
29-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Morris may have been very good last night but he has a nasty streak, and should have been sent off for that horrific tackle on Palsson at the end No chance. I was in line...He was late, but it was a yellow at worst. A red would have been ridiculous.

Beefster
30-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Jason Koumas is a free agent, and I see his agent was saying last week he (Koumas) is considering retiring, having just turned 32.

I think he would be an ideal midfielder for Hibs. Experience, skill, good creativity. Much like Jody Morris, who I have always thought is a great wee player for St Johnstone.

Agreed, if we could afford him. I always assumed Koumas would kick on after leaving West Brom and become a top player. Was always baffled that he didn't.

smurf
30-09-2011, 08:10 AM
No chance. I was in line...He was late, but it was a yellow at worst. A red would have been ridiculous.

Agreed. Would love to see him at ER.

steakbake
30-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Morris was connected with us a few years back.

He's not has his troubles to seek but for the last couple of seasons, he looks like a player who has screwed the nut.

Hibee87
30-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Morris has been there main man everytime i see him play as said he always dictates play. You cant fault him for the challenge on VP its a professional foul, they were pushing for a late equliser and hibs were about to break up the park so he took him out end of. i would be raging if a hibs player never done the same if the roles were reveres. sometimes you jsut need to take the booking to try and help the team in the long run. Defo the type of player we are crying out for.

Geo_1875
30-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Morris has been there main man everytime i see him play as said he always dictates play. You cant fault him for the challenge on VP its a professional foul, they were pushing for a late equliser and hibs were about to break up the park so he took him out end of. i would be raging if a hibs player never done the same if the roles were reveres. sometimes you jsut need to take the booking to try and help the team in the long run. Defo the type of player we are crying out for.

Can't imagine a Hibs player getting off so lightly given referees tendencies against us.

Renfrew_Hibby
30-09-2011, 11:19 AM
No chance of Morris comming to Hibs now as he is best pals and neighbours with McInnes in Houston, Renfrewshire. They travel up and down together everyday and when he hangs up his boots he ill join his coaching team and will end up whereever McInnes does, which by the looks of things will be a Premiership side a la Owen Coyle.

Agree Morris was very very good last night.

carnoustiehibee
30-09-2011, 12:52 PM
I remember watching a chelsea u19s prog years ago when rix was the coach. They went across to Spain for a tornament and jody Morris was captain,he was best mates with a guy clemance who I think went to play left back at west brom.

heretoday
30-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Jody Morris - nice one.

A player I always like is Danny Murphy of Fulham. Not that Hibs could afford him but that kind of guy is what we need.