PDA

View Full Version : Sportsound Presenters/Pundits dislike of Hibs

The Sea-gull
29-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Don’t usually like saying things like this as it is best to leave the paranoia to Celtic fans but have been thinking this for a while now.

Some of the Sportsound broadcasters and pundits really do seem to be a bit of anti-Hibs, surfacing over the last year or two. Some of them really do seem to enjoy our pi$h-ness of recent years and when we do get the odd win or things start to look up a bit, it really seems to stick in their throats. Granted, we have been rubbish for a while now but some of them seem to enjoy stoking things up and over emphasising things.

An example is from last night’s programme when Yogi said to the presenter that he thought Hibs could turn St J over to which the presenter replied something along the lines of “really?” as if Yogi had suggested we were going to beat Barca in the champs league final.

The worst offenders in my opinion are Kenny MacIntyre (who really seems to really dislike the club for some reason), Chick Young (though only on occasion), Billy Dodds and surprisingly, as I used to like him, Richard Gordon.

Another thing I have noticed, is that Aberdeen have been just as bad if not worse than us during the last couple of years yet never seem to get the same tone of stick as Hibs do on the programme.

Thought there has not been much at all to say about Hibs in a positive light, they are over emphasising on the negativity at times. Used to like the show but am fast going off it, trouble is the only viable alternative is the Real Radio Football Phone In which has never been great but seems to have declined rapidly in recent years.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this.

PS – how many “Yogi, tell us about your time at Hibs” specials do we need?

camhibby1
29-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Don’t usually like saying things like this as it is best to leave the paranoia to Celtic fans but have been thinking this for a while now.

Some of the Sportsound broadcasters and pundits really do seem to be a bit of anti-Hibs, surfacing over the last year or two. Some of them really do seem to enjoy our pi$h-ness of recent years and when we do get the odd win or things start to look up a bit, it really seems to stick in their throats. Granted, we have been rubbish for a while now but some of them seem to enjoy stoking things up and over emphasising things.

An example is from last night’s programme when Yogi said to the presenter that he thought Hibs could turn St J over to which the presenter replied something along the lines of “really?” as if Yogi had suggested we were going to beat Barca in the champs league final.

The worst offenders in my opinion are Kenny MacIntyre (who really seems to really dislike the club for some reason), Chick Young (though only on occasion), Billy Dodds and surprisingly, as I used to like him, Richard Gordon.

Another thing I have noticed, is that Aberdeen have been just as bad if not worse than us during the last couple of years yet never seem to get the same tone of stick as Hibs do on the programme.

Thought there has not been much at all to say about Hibs in a positive light, they are over emphasising on the negativity at times. Used to like the show but am fast going off it, trouble is the only viable alternative is the Real Radio Football Phone In which has never been great but seems to have declined rapidly in recent years.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this.

PS – how many “Yogi, tell us about your time at Hibs” specials do we need?

Couldn't agree more. Listened to the preamble and commentary whilst driving back from work and thought 'same old, same old' from that crowd. Thought Richard Gordon was particularly poor last night.

Niffy
29-09-2011, 10:46 AM
At the start of the show last night, RG went through a huge list of reasons why Hibs would get beat, almost saying it in a "serves them right way" and after he'd finished his 5 minute rant, the guy who was at the stadium just went "Oh well then!" as if to say... games a right off then ?

RG replied to that with something along the lines of "No, I'm just saying..."

Erses.

BEEJ
29-09-2011, 10:51 AM
I just heard some of the early studio discussion, then ten minutes shortly after 7pm and then the last five minutes of the programme.

The truth is that Yogi gets airtime from his BBC pals (including Kenny McIntyre) for two reasons:

he is a talker and therefore likely to stray into areas that others in his position would avoid;
his pals think he was given a raw deal by Hibs.

Hence the leading questions from KMc such as:

"CC's team hasn't won at home since February! Would you have been given that length of time, John?"

For his own sake, Yogi should in future decline to make such studio appearances as it is quite saddening to hear his increasingly desperate attempts at self-justification.

As for the general tone of the BBC pundits towards Hibs - yes, I would agree that it's been invariably negative and derisory for some considerable time now. The only way to turn that around will be for Hibs to start performing consistently well and to get some better results on the board.

Beefster
29-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Most of them, possibly Preston apart, don't hate us. Their discussions just reflect the fact that we're rubbish. Under Mowbray, they were almost like giggly little schoolgirls meeting JLS whenever they discussed Hibs.

Stevie Reid
29-09-2011, 11:00 AM
As for the general tone of the BBC pundits towards Hibs - yes, I would agree that it's been invariably negative and derisory for some considerable time now. The only way to turn that around will be for Hibs to start performing consistently well and to get some better results on the board.

Most of them, possibly Preston apart, don't hate us. Their discussions just reflect the fact that we're rubbish. Under Mowbray, they were almost like giggly little schoolgirls meeting JLS whenever they discussed Hibs.

Completely agree - they are negative about us as we have been crap in every way for ages, it's pretty simple.

I remember Chick Young wrote an unbelievably complimentary article about us when JC was in charge about how he would pay to watch us over anyone.

O'Rourke3
29-09-2011, 11:01 AM
When things are going well, we don't give a stuff and enjoy the banter. When it's not going well every comment is looked upon as an insult or a put down. With the only game being played Hibs were going to come under the microscope last night and their home form deiscussed along with St Johnstone's away form - no goals conceded. So in the form book a home win wasn't the best odds. I actually prefer guys with a point of view or a bias, that way stuffing them gives me more pleasure, but I don't take the stuff they dish out seriously. Richard Gordon's comment about the type of football being played at Hearts "made his eyes bleed". This season, many of us were saying the same thing about our own team. Seems to be turning around now.

Either don't listen or don't complain. The complaints only make it worse, Preston gets off on stuff like this and complaints to the station about the conduct of presenters only enforces the fact they are doing something right. Not only are they getting listeners but they are getting reaction and feedback. Best ignore it or listen to Radio Hibs.

hibsbollah
29-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I just heard some of the early studio discussion, then ten minutes shortly after 7pm and then the last five minutes of the programme.The truth is that Yogi gets airtime from his BBC pals (including Kenny McIntyre) for two reasons:

he is a talker and therefore likely to stray into areas that others in his position would avoid;
his pals think he was given a raw deal by Hibs.
Hence the leading questions from KMc such as:"CC's team hasn't won at home since February! Would you have been given that length of time, John?"For his own sake, Yogi should in future decline to make such studio appearances as it is quite saddening to hear his increasingly desperate attempts at self-justification.As for the general tone of the BBC pundits towards Hibs - yes, I would agree that it's been invariably negative and derisory for some considerable time now. The only way to turn that around will be for Hibs to start performing consistently well and to get some better results on the board.Completely agree. I was listening to the leading questiond you describe on the drive in, and thought it was totally transparent what was happening...basically an attempt to make Hughes' tenure look better, probably with his future career prospects in mind. Hes sounding more and more desperate with each radio scotland appearance, and its getting a bit sad. More Yozzer Hughes than Yogi Hughes at the moment.

Kato
29-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Bad news is grist to their mill and we've given them plenty of that for the last three or four years.

What's all wrong is constantly trying to seek it and even engineer it by having Yogi in the studio on a consistent basis in the hope he'll haver on too much and inadvertently spill.

Preston is there just to wind the fans up a bit more.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Didn't hear any of the pre-game chat yesterday but in general, if you ask any of the Radio Scotland Football commentators to talk about anything that doesn't include Rangers or Celtic then you usually either get silence, cliches or a viewpoint that gets set in stone and then gets credence by the fact that it is brought out like a comfort blanket. The Hughes and Hibs story is now becoming like a X-mas special to be trotted out like Scotch and Wry or Only an Excuse. Fairly poor show from the Beeb by playing safe getting Yogi in. In all honesty, if he had not raked this up again, it would lilke a stripper coming to a stag and keeping her kit on.

Largshibby
29-09-2011, 11:27 AM
You can add Stuart Lovell on Sky to the list. He was very reluctant to say anything good about Hibs last night which was a surprise. I liked him as a player for us. Its ironic given everything thats happened so far that if we had held on v Dunfermline and beaten Aberdeen (like everyone else does) we would have been 4th in the league and in the cup quarters. In other words exactly where a team like Hibs should be. If we continue to improve at the present rate then I'm optimistic a high league position and good cup runs are very realistic goals.

The Sea-gull
29-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Yes, I do remember under Mowbray the plaudits we used to get from them. If we are honest, they were actually a bit over the top at times and made us out to be better than we really were. Think they just got excited about a team with lots of young Scots scoring lots of goals.

I’m not overly sensitive at all and don’t get bothered by any little criticism of Hibs, we have been poor for a while now so deserve criticism. I just feel that on that particular programme one or two of them revel a bit too much in the opportunity to criticise.

For example, I couldn’t make the Utd game on Sat so listening to open all mics while I was working. When we pulled it back to 3-3 Richard Gordon sounded positively gutted. Jim Spence sounded more upbeat about it and he is a Dundee United fan!

Don’t actually mind Preston to be honest, he is a Yam and he’s not going to like us goes with the territory and I don’t really think he ever says anything that bad. His general chat and humour is poor and cringe worthy though!

Maybe it has something to do with Hibs general reputation for lack of media communication in that they only get to hear about bits and pieces here and there and probably can’t broadcast some of it.

What is Kenny MacIntyre’s problem though? He seems to have a real dislike towards the club and does seem to get Yogi on the programme and ask him leading questions. Are they mates and is Kenny MacIntyre annoyed at the way Yogi has been treated?

Twa Cairpets
29-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Prefer to have a bit of non OF partisanship from the likes of Richard Gordon and Preston (although he is a huuuuuggeeee Fud and has me shouting a the radio) than some anodyne love-in about super Ally and Celtc.

hibs0666
29-09-2011, 11:49 AM
When things are going well, we don't give a stuff and enjoy the banter. When it's not going well every comment is looked upon as an insult or a put down.

Yup, and you see the same affect on here too. After all the analysis and hysteria I'm still not sure whether the new pre-match meal regime led to us winning last night or will see our poor lads queueing up at a dossers soup kitchen.

Northern Hibby
30-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I can say what I want about my family, I slag off my Brother and Sisters as much as I want, but dare you say the slightest thing against them.

The Falcon
30-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Completely agree - they are negative about us as we have been crap in every way for ages, it's pretty simple.

Thats probably right Stevie but I also believe that the media in general have a bit of a downer on Hibs because Petrie (and Farmer) do not accommodate them in the slightest. Traynor has often remarked that we tend to be less than helpful when approached by the media. Other clubs give them a heads up with what's going on before its happened but we don't.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-10-2011, 05:40 AM
I have the antidote in a word

Boozy