PDA

View Full Version : When Everybody's Fit Again...

Speedway
29-09-2011, 08:39 AM
How about this as our starting XI?

Stack

Hart
O'Hanlon
Palsson
Murray

Sproule
Osbourne
Towell
Scott

Agogo
GO'C Win

Bench: Brown, Booth, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Thornhill, Griffiths, Sodje

I feel that would give us some balance.

smurf
29-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Hart at right back? When fit and available for selection CC didn't select him last season! I doubt we will ever see him again....

Keith_M
29-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Would you seriously put Murray in a full back position? I don't think he's got the pace for that, better off at CB.

hibsbollah
29-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Im never sure when speedway is on the windup and when he isnt :confused:

At full back would you want Hart and Murray or Hanlon and Palsson? Based on last night theres only one answer.

Speedway
29-09-2011, 09:02 AM

At full back would you want Hart and Murray or Hanlon and Palsson? Based on last night theres only one answer.

Neither am I :wink:

Here's the thinking. Palsson's not a right back, neither is Spoon and neither is Towell. Hart is supposed to be and in pre-season he finally looked like one. He also brings experience and height and can let Sproule get one with his job. I'd be for giving him another go.

Palsson beside O'Hanlon for pace and distribution, both of which O'Hanlon is lacking. Also height and aggression. Palsson in midfield adds nothing for me.

Murray at left back simply because I think Booth needs a kip and Hanlon has never convinced me at LB, otherwise Murray wouldn't be there at all.

thebakerboy
29-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I think Ian Murray answered a lot of people on here who question his pace etc. when late in the second half he gave Sheridan a couple of strides start and chased the ball down and got there first and took the ball away and cleared it upfield.:not worth

BEEJ
29-09-2011, 10:02 AM
And Scott should be in the centre of a midfield four, not on the outside as he was last night.

Stevie Reid
29-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Murray at left back simply because I think Booth needs a kip and Hanlon has never convinced me at LB, otherwise Murray wouldn't be there at all.

I think Ian Murray answered a lot of people on here who question his pace etc. when late in the second half he gave Sheridan a couple of strides start and chased the ball down and got there first and took the ball away and cleared it upfield.:not worth

I thought Murray did well last night - thought he was maybe turned too easily for Sheridan's goal but having seen it again on the telly, CS turned him really well and provided an excellent finish. I actually thought Stack could've advanced off his line for the header on at that goal, and I would still like to see Brown given a chance.

Towell looked good in midfield but despite him doing fine there last night, I wouldn't want Palsson at RB on a regular basis - would be tempted to give Hart a shot if he ever gets fit, but then he'll never be a long term answer due to his injury record and the fact that he'll be away at the end of the season. No reason why we can't adjust Towell and Palsson as necessary, mind you - though Palsson does offer little in midfield.

There were signs last night of a good spine to the team with O'Hanlon, Osbourne and Agogo - though I have thought that before on may occasions these last few seasons. Grounds for optimism though.

Franck is God
29-09-2011, 11:49 AM

I think many have used a lack of pace as an excuse for having him out the team without having to admit that he isn't good enough.

You used the above as an example of his good play last night, for me it was the only thing he did right in the game and as for clearing it up field I don't think it even made the half way line. He is not strong in the air or on the ground and he looked like he was in slow motion against Sheridan last night for his goal, all he had to do was stay goal side and I lost count how many times he was beaten in the air by Sandaza.

The only question that Ian Murray answered last night was that he shouldn't be any where near the first team, if he is at centre half on Saturday against Rangers I could see us losing 5 or 6.

Franck is God
29-09-2011, 11:54 AM
I know a lot won't agree with me but I think the defence looked stronger and more mobile when O'Hanlon was out and for that reason the team that I would pick is based solely around youth and or ability.

Brown

Towell---Stephens---Hanlon---Booth

Palsson

Wotherspoon----Osbourne----Thornhill

O'Connor--Agogo

Subs From

Stack
Hart
O'Hanlon
Stevenson
Scott
Welsh
Galbraith
Sproule
Griffiths
Sodje

bawheid
29-09-2011, 11:57 AM
I know a lot won't agree with me but I think the defence looked stronger and more mobile when O'Hanlon was out and for that reason the team that I would pick is based solely around youth and or ability.

Brown

Towell---Stephens---Hanlon---Booth

Palsson

Wotherspoon----Osbourne----Thornhill

O'Connor--Agogo

Subs From

Stack
Hart
O'Hanlon
Stevenson
Scott
Welsh
Galbraith
Sproule
Griffiths
Sodje

That team would get absolutely blitzed down our right hand side.

Albion Hibs
29-09-2011, 12:03 PM
I think many have used a lack of pace as an excuse for having him out the team without having to admit that he isn't good enough.

You used the above as an example of his good play last night, for me it was the only thing he did right in the game and as for clearing it up field I don't think it even made the half way line. He is not strong in the air or on the ground and he looked like he was in slow motion against Sheridan last night for his goal, all he had to do was stay goal side and I lost count how many times he was beaten in the air by Sandaza.

The only question that Ian Murray answered last night was that he shouldn't be any where near the first team, if he is at centre half on Saturday against Rangers I could see us losing 5 or 6.

You have either lost it or you were nowhere near the game last night. I would say;

- Whats wrong with a CH clearing the ball up field? I would suggest that is exactly where it is supposed to go - have you seen how many cheap goals we have given away recently. No nonsense from CH's for me every day of the week.

- Slow motion, dont agree as someone said before he beat many a player going back last night and covered in wide postions when we got caught from time to time.

- As for losing in the air - now you are talking pash! He won the majority of balls in the air. Not bad considering most CH's in the league would'nt given the guy is about 6'4. He managed to destroy the hertz defense at the weekend, and got nothing out of us last night.

If you think he should be nowhere near the team fair enough, in my opinion you are taking rubbish. As I said if that is your view then you were either nowhere near the game or you need to turn around 180 degrees to that you are actually looking at the pitch.

MWHIBBIES
Was Hart really that good in pre-season? I only watched him against Livi and he was embarrassingly bad.

Franck is God

If Palsson's only job was defensive then he can switch from one side of the pitch to the other to counteract an opposition attack.

I'll use this team & formation in FIFA tonight and let you know how it gets on....

Albion Hibs
29-09-2011, 12:05 PM

And the left and through the middle!

This post coupled with his last one tells me is he clearly at the wind up.

Franck is God
29-09-2011, 12:12 PM
You have either lost it or you were nowhere near the game last night. I would say.

I was at the game and was not impressed by the partnership of Murray & O'Hanlon at all and I thought the defensive covering by Osbourne & Towell had more to do with our slightly stronger looking back line.

- Whats wrong with a CH clearing the ball up field? I would suggest that is exactly where it is supposed to go - have you seen how many cheap goals we have given away recently. No nonsense from CH's for me every day of the week.

No issue with this but I expect a clearance to make it to the oppositions half not ten yards short of the half way line.

- Slow motion, dont agree as someone said before he beat many a player going back last night and covered in wide postions when we got caught from time to time.

He did it once, the rest of the time he spent playing their strikers on-side.

- As for losing in the air - now you are talking pash! He won the majority of balls in the air. Not bad considering most CH's in the league would given the guy is about 6'4. He managed to destroy the hertz defense at the weekend, and got nothing out of us last night.

Both Sandaza & Sheridan won the majority of their battles with Murray last night in the air and on the ground.

If you think he should be nowhere near the team fair enough, in my opinion you are taking rubbish. As I said if that is your view then you were either nowhere near the game or you need to turn around 180 degrees to that you are actually looking at the pitch.

I actually quite enjoyed bits of the game last night and it was nice to go home after a win for a change but as long as CC persists with Murray then we are going to be weaker as a result

Franck is God
29-09-2011, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=Albion Hibs;2933135]And the left and through the middle!
QUOTE]

Can you tell me why we would be blitzed?

On the right you would have Towell & Wotherspoon, on the left Booth & Thornhill and throught the middle Palsson & Osbourne.

When you don't have the ball the whole team should be defending not just some of them.

frazeHFC
29-09-2011, 12:23 PM

:agree:

The team is good bar Hart. I would go for:

Stack

Towell O'Hanlon Murray Booth

Sproule Scott Osbourne Griffiths

Agogo O'Connor

smurf
29-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Was Hart really that good in pre-season? I only watched him against Livi and he was embarrassingly bad.

Exactly. De Graf had a good game v Sunderland some thought... Hart is finished at ER.

The Hurricane
29-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Then got outmuscled by the same player for the goal

tamig
29-09-2011, 07:34 PM

On the right you would have Towell & Wotherspoon, on the left Booth & Thornhill and throught the middle Palsson & Osbourne.

When you don't have the ball the whole team should be defending not just some of them.

Can't believe some of your comments on this thread.

Towell and Wotherspoon on Saturday were constantly destroyed on the right side - Towell having to cover two men due to Wotherspoon's lack of tactical nous. They just don't work together defensively.

Booth is weak defensively and Matt Thornhill is a central player. Booth should be played left midfield if he has to be included and I'd accept either Hanlon or Stevenson at fb behind him. I don't think we've seen Booth/Stevenson together with Booth being played in front. Palsson being moved to right back with Towell being switched in to the middle was the move that tightened things up last night.

Hanlon is not yet a centre half. O'Hanlon was badly missed while he was out injured. To suggest he be dropped for either Hanlon or Stephens is just crazy. I'd be willing to give Stephens a go alongside O'Hanlon as I don't think we've seen then together yet.

Not sure if you've actually seen many games this season based on your views.

AlbertK86
30-09-2011, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE=Albion Hibs;2933135]And the left and through the middle!
QUOTE]

Last time we had Booth and Thornhill on the left they were an effin bombscare and the opposion targetted that area.

Sorry FIG your team is probably the worst selection I've seen in months

smurf
30-09-2011, 08:37 AM
A few weeks ago folk had Celtc coming in with millions for Booth but "they couldn't afford him". Now after a couple of daft mistakes the lad is out the team and according to some "Weak defensively". Only at Hibs...

Stevie Reid
30-09-2011, 08:52 AM
A few weeks ago folk had Celtc coming in with millions for Booth but "they couldn't afford him". Now after a couple of daft mistakes the lad is out the team and according to some "Weak defensively". Only at Hibs...

It's not necessarily the same people, I stated some weeks ago that I felt the valuations for CB were way over the top (though I hoped, and still do hope, that I was wrong) as he is weak defensively - he isn't up to much in the air and he is a poor tackler. Last season long diagonals in behind him were utilised a lot by opposition teams when he came into the team, and this season he has been given a pretty torrid time by wide men (which does happen to the best full backs in the world, but his tackling doesn't help). Aerial prowess and tackling ability are essential for a full back.

He does have lots of good attributes though, and we just need to get him in the right position - Paul Scholes was one of the worst tacklers you will ever see, but was also one of the best players ever to play the game. Left mid still carries defensive duties obviously, but his weaknesses would be less exposed, and his attacking instincts allowed to come out more freely - Neil McCann started off playing a lot of games as LB for Dundee, but ended up being a superb winger. CB still has huge potential, but we are better off without him at the moment, and results are showing that.

The last 9 months have been a hugely difficult time for the club, and a very difficult time to blood youngsters - even our more experienced youngsters (DW and PH) have struggled. Get him back in when we're in better form, and hopefully we'll see the best of him.

Jones28
30-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Stack
Towell O'hanlon Murray Booth
Palsson
Sproule Osbourne Griffiths
O'connor Agogo

I think Hart is p!sh tbh, and Towell would not deserve to be dropped regardless. He's been one of Hibs' best players IMHO

I was impressed by Murray on Wednesday who I thought had his best game for seasons. O'Hanlon has been solid too, and Booth should go in at Left Back once he recovers some of his previous form.

Palsson and Osbourne were good on Wednesday too, both of them were much improved from the Utd game. Sproule is wasted on the left as he needs to cut in most of time to put in a decent cross (although his goal from cutting in was a peach). I hope Griffiths improves as he's not set the heather alight in his Hibs career so far

O'Connor...doesn't really need a comment :thumbsup:

Agogo is getting better, his role in two of our goals the other night was pivotal, in the build up to the first in particular :flag:

tamig
30-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Stack
Towell O'hanlon Murray Booth
Palsson
Sproule Osbourne Griffiths
O'connor Agogo

I think Hart is p!sh tbh, and Towell would not deserve to be dropped regardless. He's been one of Hibs' best players IMHO

I was impressed by Murray on Wednesday who I thought had his best game for seasons. O'Hanlon has been solid too, and Booth should go in at Left Back once he recovers some of his previous form.

Palsson and Osbourne were good on Wednesday too, both of them were much improved from the Utd game. Sproule is wasted on the left as he needs to cut in most of time to put in a decent cross (although his goal from cutting in was a peach). I hope Griffiths improves as he's not set the heather alight in his Hibs career so far

O'Connor...doesn't really need a comment :thumbsup:

Agogo is getting better, his role in two of our goals the other night was pivotal, in the build up to the first in particular :flag:

And I think that team would be destroyed down the wings too. No cover for the fbs on both sides. Just as good as FIGs suggestions imo.