PDA

View Full Version : Irony or what?

CmoantheHibs
27-09-2011, 01:27 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/27/manual_101650.html&TEAMHD=scotspremiership&BID=425

Welcome to our world.No mirrors in Glasgow?

JackRegan
27-09-2011, 01:45 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/27/manual_101650.html&TEAMHD=scotspremiership&BID=425

Hardly comparable.

Firstly, Celtic have lost many players to English clubs, under similar circumstances to which Hibs have lost players to Celtic. Some commanded a good and fair fee, others were lost for smaller, or no sums due to factors surrounding the juncture of a particular players contract and the laws governing such secenarios at that time. (Dalglish, McClair, Macari, Hay and Nicholas all having fees decided by tribunals, similar to Caldwell, Agathe and Riordan under Bosman).

In the case of Feruz, Celtic and in particular Tommy Burns, pulled a lot of strings to get this boy and his family a right to stay in the UK, they bought his family a house out of Sighthill where we was living in a complete hell-hole, paid for him to go to Private school, paid for his mother's education, bought her driving lessons etc. Also, he was getting poached from about aged 14 onwards, which is a bit different to a mature adult chosing to move to a more successful club and for more money.

What actually annoys me more is the tabloid reporting of it, especially The Sun's "Lennon Islam Fury", when if you read Lennon's quotes, it's anything but fury.

Frazerbob
27-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Hardly comparable.

Firstly, Celtic have lost many players to English clubs, under similar circumstances to which Hibs have lost players to Celtic. Some commanded a good and fair fee, others were lost for smaller, or no sums due to factors surrounding the juncture of a particular players contract and the laws governing such secenarios at that time. (Dalglish, McClair, Macari, Hay and Nicholas all having fees decided by tribunals, similar to Caldwell, Agathe and Riordan under Bosman).

In the case of Feruz, Celtic and in particular Tommy Burns, pulled a lot of strings to get this boy and his family a right to stay in the UK, they bought his family a house out of Sighthill where we was living in a complete hell-hole, paid for him to go to Private school, paid for his mother's education, bought her driving lessons etc. Also, he was getting poached from about aged 14 onwards, which is a bit different to a mature adult chosing to move to a more successful club and for more money.

What actually annoys me more is the tabloid reporting of it, especially The Sun's "Lennon Islam Fury", when if you read Lennon's quotes, it's anything but fury.

That sounds so patronising it's untrue. Because Celtc rescued the guy and his family from a "hell hole" you expect him to stay at Celtc for the rest of his playing days (or until you decide he's no longer needed)? Should have got him on a longer contract eh?

OFGTF!!!

Green and white
27-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Well I do think it's a problem how clubs can lose their youth so easly. I don't feel sorry for celtic though because they have used the same tactics as chelsea have on plenty youth players from partic, st mirrin, morton and many more. Not to mention the ever lasting list of talent we have been forced to let go to both old firm clubs.

Jones28
27-09-2011, 02:10 PM
The difference between Hibs and Celtic in this case is that Celtic have lost a player that has made no impact at all. When Hibs lose players to the Old Firm they are first team, starting players who are 90% of the time the best at the club.

Unfortunately for the rest of the SPL, Celtic and Rangers can afford to replace their best players, still leaving other teams hugely disadvantaged.

Another reason that the SPL is painful not only to watch some of the time, but be a part of altogether, as no matter how much ambition a board at Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen or anyone else for that matter, they will still have the Big Brothers with their fianancial muscle at the top. And that's the way it will stay unless something radical is done.

HibSem
27-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Hardly comparable.

I'm wiping tears as I write this..........awww poor shellick

ronaldo7
27-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Hardly comparable.

It's swings and roundabouts for Celtc mate. As you can see with the article below, Celtc let Dylan McGeough go at 14 and then Lennon went to his house to re-sign him from Rangers.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2010/12/08/spirit-of-starlet-dylan-mcgeough-could-inspire-first-teamers-at-celtic-says-former-star-frank-mcavennie-86908-22769772/:wink:

hibs0666
27-09-2011, 02:26 PM
It's swings and roundabouts for Celtc mate. As you can see with the article below, Celtc let Dylan McGeough go at 14 and then Lennon went to his house to re-sign him from Rangers.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2010/12/08/spirit-of-starlet-dylan-mcgeough-could-inspire-first-teamers-at-celtic-says-former-star-frank-mcavennie-86908-22769772/:wink:

Celtc poaching barstewards. :wink:

c31
27-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Not to mention celtic taking our youth academy director John Park in 2007, which I think was a massive lose to Hibs more than an unproven U17 player.

ronaldo7
27-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Celtc poaching barstewards. :wink:

Aye but the linesman would play them onside.:greengrin

CmoantheHibs
27-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Hardly comparable.

Im sure Celtic did it purely for his footballing talents rather than a goodwill for human nature.Do they do similar for everyone else in the same position?.So in my eyes it is no different to Chelsea throwing more money at him.Just a different bribe.Like I say welcome to our world.
I do agree about the tabloid presentation of it though and find it distasteful and, although representation of the title is correct to a certain extent,it is certainly likely to be misinterpreted.It tells you more about the person that has the final say about going to press than the story itself.

edinburghhibee
27-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Couldn't help but read that article with a massive smile on my face, Celtic deserve that and there greeting and whinging is music to my ears. Like another poster said they have been shafting smaller clubs in this way for years with no sympathy for the clubs concerned. Celtic fans and there board need to start realising that they are no longer a big club in world football and that they're youngsters will jump at the chance to move on should one of the big clubs come calling. :na na::na na::na na:

On a side note this move is a great opertunity for Islam as instead of training up against Loovens, he'll now have to beat Terry, Ivanovic, Alex, A.Cole and this can only be a possitive thing in his career. Hopefully the young man will gain confidence and become a great player for them and return to Scotland to play for the National team.

Kaiser1962
27-09-2011, 03:00 PM

Speaking of irony I was monitoring the little spat between Lennon and Commons during which one of them was clearly not being totally truthful. Given Celtic's stance last season over Dougie MacDonald I would expect them to investigate this instance in the same robust manner and, as they thought Dougie MacDonalds fib was a sacking offence, surely it would be hypocritical not to seek the same outcome when it's their own staff.

Killiehibbie
27-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Hardly comparable.

What actually annoys me more is the tabloid reporting of it, especially The Sun's "Lennon Islam Fury", when if you read Lennon's quotes, it's anything but fury.How many other unfortunates have lived in that hellhole but have had no help at all from that charitable institution aka Celtic Football Club? If only they knew how it would turn out they'd have sent him back on the first available flight to the real hellhole he escaped from.

JackRegan
27-09-2011, 03:28 PM
That sounds so patronising it's untrue. Because Celtc rescued the guy and his family from a "hell hole" you expect him to stay at Celtc for the rest of his playing days (or until you decide he's no longer needed)? Should have got him on a longer contract eh?

OFGTF!!!

Nowhere does my post say that. I was merely pointing out that the circumstances were different to Celtic's signing of players from Hibs, whereas the OP conveyed (wrongly IMO) an element of similarity.

SkintHibby
27-09-2011, 03:30 PM
How many other unfortunates have lived in that hellhole but have had no help at all from that charitable institution aka Celtic Football Club? If only they knew how it would turn out they'd have sent him back on the first available flight to the real hellhole he escaped from.

:top marks:agree:

JackRegan
27-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Im sure Celtic did it purely for his footballing talents rather than a goodwill for human nature.Do they do similar for everyone else in the same position?.So in my eyes it is no different to Chelsea throwing more money at him.Just a different bribe.Like I say welcome to our world.
I do agree about the tabloid presentation of it though and find it distasteful and, although representation of the title is correct to a certain extent,it is certainly likely to be misinterpreted.It tells you more about the person that has the final say about going to press than the story itself.

Fair post. I only commented because the OP suggested that Celtic, in particular had form for this type of thing and that Celtic have never lost players they'd unearthed, when clearly this is not the case. Although I do think Feruz's departure is fundamentally different from normal player transactions, which is what Celtic have done with Hibs (to varying degrees of success)

What has happened with Feruz, is just par for the course in today's game and one of the many things that piss me off about it.

.Sean.
27-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Hardly comparable.Firstly, Celtic have lost many players to English clubs, under similar circumstances to which Hibs have lost players to Celtic. Some commanded a good and fair fee, others were lost for smaller, or no sums due to factors surrounding the juncture of a particular players contract and the laws governing such secenarios at that time. (Dalglish, McClair, Macari, Hay and Nicholas all having fees decided by tribunals, similar to Caldwell, Agathe and Riordan under Bosman).In the case of Feruz, Celtic and in particular Tommy Burns, pulled a lot of strings to get this boy and his family a right to stay in the UK, they bought his family a house out of Sighthill where we was living in a complete hell-hole, paid for him to go to Private school, paid for his mother's education, bought her driving lessons etc. Also, he was getting poached from about aged 14 onwards, which is a bit different to a mature adult chosing to move to a more successful club and for more money.What actually annoys me more is the tabloid reporting of it, especially The Sun's "Lennon Islam Fury", when if you read Lennon's quotes, it's anything but fury. Away and dry yer eyes ya patronising Celtic twat.

JackRegan
27-09-2011, 03:38 PM
How many other unfortunates have lived in that hellhole but have had no help at all from that charitable institution aka Celtic Football Club? If only they knew how it would turn out they'd have sent him back on the first available flight to the real hellhole he escaped from.

This makes no sense. Either you are saying Celtic should just have let him been deported with thoughts of "I wonder what happened to that wee asylum seeker fae Sighthill" or are you suggesting we should have done that for every Asylum seeker regardless of their football ability.

Most rational people would have thought "that's pretty good of Celtic seeing some raw talent in a boy
and trying to help him and his family and using his football talent to help better themselves"

But no, by your clouded rationale, because its Celtic, it was wrong to do this.

Of course other clubs would have acted differently, that must be why you are trying to grab some moral high ground. :rolleyes:

JackRegan
27-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Away and dry yer eyes ya patronising Celtic twat.

Great response. Really liked how you deonstructed the points I raised.

Also, I'm not sure you know what patronising means. :wink:

You might after reading this post though. :agree:

SkintHibby
27-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Everything about Celtic does my head in.:brickwall

Killiehibbie
27-09-2011, 03:59 PM
This makes no sense. Either you are saying Celtic should just have let him been deported with thoughts of "I wonder what happened to that wee asylum seeker fae Sighthill" or are you suggesting we should have done that for every Asylum seeker regardless of their football ability.

Most rational people would have thought "that's pretty good of Celtic seeing some raw talent in a boy
and trying to help him and his family and using his football talent to help better themselves"

But no, by your clouded rationale, because its Celtic, it was wrong to do this.

Of course other clubs would have acted differently, that must be why you are trying to grab some moral high ground. :rolleyes:What i'm saying is nobody should be upset when he does get out of the hellhole and does a B1 to Chelsea. Celtic saw the potential to make money and probably highlighted his background to be seen as his saviours or some pish like that.

hibs0666
27-09-2011, 04:03 PM
What i'm saying is nobody should be upset when he does get out of the hellhole and does a B1 to Chelsea. Celtic saw the potential to make money and probably highlighted his background to be seen as his saviours or some pish like that.

The good-guy-yet-victim mentality is in the Celtc DNA and Feruz heading south will simply re-affirm it in their own eyes.

Velma Dinkley
27-09-2011, 04:12 PM
In one interview, Lennon manages to disrespect a young footballer, his agent and one of the best football clubs in the world. And still act like a victim. The perfect representative for Celtic Football Club.

Kato
27-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Really liked how you deonstructed the points I raised.

He does, in a way.

Stew the Hibee
27-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Fair enough I've only ever played against him at grassroots, but the boy will probably fit in better to the Chelsea system. The boy was so highly rated that he was able to contend with people sometimes 4 years older than him, and was still by far the most technically gifted player on the pitch.

As for Lennon saying he would have benefited more at the tims, I'm sure that the coaching offered at Chelsea greatly eclipses the standard offered at dark heid.

3pm
27-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Hasa he signed? I am going to get a Chelsea top with his name printed on it for the game in a few weeks.

Hibs Class
27-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Nowhere does my post say that. I was merely pointing out that the circumstances were different to Celtic's signing of players from Hibs, whereas the OP conveyed (wrongly IMO) an element of similarity.

Surely you can see an element of similarity :confused:

CmoantheHibs
27-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Fair enough I've only ever played against him at grassroots, but the boy will probably fit in better to the Chelsea system. The boy was so highly rated that he was able to contend with people sometimes 4 years older than him, and was still by far the most technically gifted player on the pitch.

As for Lennon saying he would have benefited more at the tims, I'm sure that the coaching offered at Chelsea greatly eclipses the standard offered at dark heid.

More than likely the coaching is better at Chelsea but it seems he would have been playing for Celtic in 1 or 2 years.If he makes it at Chelsea it will probably be 3 or 4 years,if not he is binned to who knows where.2 years 1st team experience,learning his trade before moving on would serve him better imo.Its what, in my recollection, is the most popular advice given to our young talents at ER that are attracting attention from wealthier clubs

Stew the Hibee
27-09-2011, 05:25 PM
More than likely the coaching is better at Chelsea but it seems he would have been playing for Celtic in 1 or 2 years.If he makes it at Chelsea it will probably be 3 or 4 years,if not he is binned to who knows where.2 years 1st team experience,learning his trade before moving on would serve him better imo.Its what, in my recollection, is the most popular advice given to our young talents at ER that are attracting attention from wealthier clubs

Most likely in a few years he will be loaned out to a bottom championship club (after a couple of years coaching at Chelsea) where he will either move to a championship team, or return to Chelsea. Either way, we always also tell our players to seek ambition - this boy has gone to Chelsea and so surely can't be accused of having none.

Haymaker
27-09-2011, 06:21 PM
While chelsea have pumped out alot of money just recently, make no mistake that the focus is now on young players, he will get his chance if he works hard soon enough.

matty_f
27-09-2011, 06:30 PM
He does, in a way.

:agree: At a very, very base (but accurate), level. :greengrin

JackRegan
27-09-2011, 08:39 PM
In one interview, Lennon manages to disrespect a young footballer, his agent and one of the best football clubs in the world. And still act like a victim. The perfect representative for Celtic Football Club.

He did nothing of the sort. He said his head had been turned. Okay he seems displeased at the agent, but then again, when did they become paragons of virtue in football?

JackRegan
27-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Surely you can see an element of similarity :confused:

In that Chelsea get a player on the cheap? Yes.

But...

Have Celtic lost players on the cheap? Yes
Are celtic any different to any other club in how they sign players? No
Have Celtic actually shafted Hibs for players? No

JackRegan
27-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Couldn't help but read that article with a massive smile on my face, Celtic deserve that and there greeting and whinging is music to my ears. Like another poster said they have been shafting smaller clubs in this way for years with no sympathy for the clubs concerned. Celtic fans and there board need to start realising that they are no longer a big club in world football and that they're youngsters will jump at the chance to move on should one of the big clubs come calling. :na na::na na::na na:

On a side note this move is a great opertunity for Islam as instead of training up against Loovens, he'll now have to beat Terry, Ivanovic, Alex, A.Cole and this can only be a possitive thing in his career. Hopefully the young man will gain confidence and become a great player for them and return to Scotland to play for the National team.

What smaller clubs have Celtic shafted and provide me with the circumstances please?

JackRegan
27-09-2011, 08:44 PM
What i'm saying is nobody should be upset when he does get out of the hellhole and does a B1 to Chelsea. Celtic saw the potential to make money and probably highlighted his background to be seen as his saviours or some pish like that.

So in other words, you don't know what you are talking about and just making baseless assumptions.

thanks for clearing that up.

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Have Celtic actually shafted Hibs for players? No

We allowed Stokes to go for too small a fee, so Riordan was probably the most recent - tapped him up to sign him on a Bosman after he had turned 23/24.

Real shame that you're getting a taste of your own now.

JackRegan
27-09-2011, 08:45 PM
He does, in a way.

You must be easily impressed. Guess that comes with watching Hibs a lot. :agree:

Velma Dinkley
27-09-2011, 08:46 PM
He did nothing of the sort. He said his head had been turned. Okay he seems displeased at the agent, but then again, when did they become paragons of virtue in football?

I think you'll find he did :wink:

Dashing Bob S
27-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Wealthier clubs plundering poorer ones for their assets. In association football football, too. Who would have thought it?

BroxburnHibee
27-09-2011, 08:54 PM
You must be easily impressed. Guess that comes with watching Hibs a lot. :agree:

If your going to come on here and post smart a**e digs like that then away back to Kerrydale wi ya :bye:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
27-09-2011, 09:09 PM

Jack, what is the response of your average Celtic supporter to the constant whinging your club officials display at every possible opportunity?

I'd be proper embarrased. :embarrass

coco22
27-09-2011, 09:59 PM
if you look at the transfer in a comparative way - chelsea are going out on a limb to rescue a young man from life in deprived city where he would, most likely, make little or no footballing progress. asylum granted....and they may even chuck in an advanced driving course for his maw

The Harp Awakes
27-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Hardly comparable.

A bold attempt to make a special case for this lad's circumstances Jack, but other than a Club's supporters, there is little loyalty in football. Hibs have been shafted by Celtic for well after 100 years and you can't expect to get much sympathy for your argument on here, as has been demonstrated by the responses to your initial post.

What I will say is that unless you support Man United or Barcelona, there is always a Club in the World which is bigger than your own and to whom you will lose your promising youngsters, sometimes for nowt. From a Hibs point of view we have in the main been well rewarded financially for releasing our young players. I only wish that our Board had the foresight to see that short term financial gain is counter productive to becoming a thriving, vibrant Club with an exciting team on the park which is being borne out by Hibs current predicament. We had the chance to get out of our eternal state of mediocrity when John Collins was appointed as our Manager but sadly our Board and players weren't willing to back him.

As for Celtic, your fall from grace (and equally Rangers) from a UK or European perspective has been collosal over the past few decades to the extent that in UK terms you are no more important or bigger than Sunderland or Newcastle, who have been 2 of English footballs biggest underachievers over the years. From a competitive point of view your current standard is probably middle Championship level. So for that reason you better get used to losing your best young players in future to Clubs you would probably view as smaller than your own.

What does this say for other Scottish Clubs - well not a lot, but from an insular Scottish point of view a weaker Celtic and Rangers may make for a more competitive SPL in future which might just generate more interest in the Scotish game, perhaps even from a media/TV point of view. This in turn might provide some much needed investment in the Scottish game and perhaps may lay the foundations for better times ahead for Scottish football.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Do Celtic fans have an alarm that goes off on their computers everytime their team is criticised on another teams fans website calling for patronising pish to be posted thereon? Its tedious in the extreme! BITC manages to do it for the other mob, but, with a bit more subtlety.

JackRegan
28-09-2011, 07:26 AM
Jack, what is the response of your average Celtic supporter to the constant whinging your club officials display at every possible opportunity?

I'd be proper embarrased. :embarrass

Good question. I can only answer from a personal perspective, so I'd say that while some of the clubs gripes ARE justified, they have bottled out addressing real areas of concern and a lot of the what comes out from Lawwell, Reid et al is done to deflect from their abject failure over the last 3 or so years.

Kaiser1962
28-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Hardly comparable.

Hay moved to Chelsea in 1974, Dalglish to Liverpool in 1977, Macari to Man U in 1973, Nicholas to Arsenal in 1983 and McLair moved to Man U in 1987 having been lured from Motherwell in 83, so I dont really get the point about McLair. I am unsure how many of these went to a tribunal but the question that leaps out is have you nothing more current? Collins in 1996 which was a Bosman and Liam Miller who left in 2004.

HibSem
28-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Good question. I can only answer from a personal perspective, so I'd say that while some of the clubs gripes ARE justified, they have bottled out addressing real areas of concern and a lot of the what comes out from Lawwell, Reid et al is done to deflect from their abject failure over the last 3 or so years.

Never mind that. Is till think you are a grade A tool.

TRC
28-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Was he not getting a bit old for the celtic youth coaches anyway:whistle:

Kato
28-09-2011, 09:58 AM
You must be easily impressed.

What never fails to impress me is the amount of self-righteous weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth that comes from Celtc fans. It's almost Presbyterian.

OK. You lost out on a youth player after seemingly doing him a good turn. Hardly unusual in today's game and I'm sure Celtc would be quick to shaft any other club if it improved their playing staff so - tough luck.

What you won't find is any sympathy on here. Anything bad in footballing terms happening to Celtc and your close cousins, Rangers, will be celebrated on here.

Guess that comes with watching Hibs a lot. :agree:

I love Hibs no matter what. Three trophies in my lifetime and every one savoured to the maximum.

Would you still be following Celtc if they had only won three trophies in the same time frame?

Something tells me you wouldn't have the fortitude.

Gingertosser
28-09-2011, 10:29 AM
I've always been a tad suspicious of the lad, its not uncommon for Africans to lie about there childrens age, to get to stay longer in a country and get the children a full education.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was 21/22 and hence always looked way better than his current age group.

Time will tell.

GloryGlory
28-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Hardly comparable.

Yeah, but surely you can't deny the lad his dream move to a big club?

God Petrie
28-09-2011, 11:30 AM
I heard he was willing to move back to Somalia to get out of Glasgow.

cabbageandribs1875
28-09-2011, 11:41 AM
I heard he was willing to move back to Somalia to get out of Glasgow.

'out of the frying pan...into the fire'

HUTCHYHIBBY
28-09-2011, 12:06 PM
I heard he was willing to move back to Somalia to get out of Glasgow. I think the Somalis have arranged a Benefit Concert for the boy!