PDA

View Full Version : Good Fitness Levels

hibernator
26-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Noticed questions being asked about players looking unfit recently but don't think it can be said now that we have just played 120mins versus Motherwell add Pens quickly followed by a tough 90min against Utd, Being in front both games only to have to come from behind to draw twice against two teams who are no slouches, True we have some guys who had not done full preseason it looks to me that they are all there or there abouts now, I am hopeful that this is coinciding with better results and that along with the team familiarising the draws will be wins soon enough !

Ozyhibby
26-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Fitness levels at the club are shocking just now. A couple of decent results have not changed this.

hibs0666
26-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Fitness levels at the club are shocking just now. A couple of decent results have not changed this.

What do you base that on?

Ozyhibby
26-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Have you not been watching?

Jack
26-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Have you not been watching? 3 games; 300 minutes; a penalty shoot out all in 8 days, where many of the last gasp goals came in the closing minutes of the match.

hibernator
26-09-2011, 10:41 PM

Don't think they could get these games back if they were so unfit, We also played Dunfermline all within 7 days, all with guys still getting their levels up, I do think it is making a difference.

matty_f
26-09-2011, 10:43 PM
3 games; 300 minutes; a penalty shoot out all in 8 days, where many of the last gasp goals came in the closing minutes of the match.

Don't think they could get these games back if they were so unfit, We also played Dunfermline all within 7 days, all with guys still getting their levels up, I do think it is making a difference.

:agree:

Would also add that O'Connor looks in absolutely superb condition. I don't think the team are looking unfit in the slightest.

Loopz
26-09-2011, 11:11 PM

Would also add that O'Connor looks in absolutely superb condition. I don't think the team are looking unfit in the slightest.

GO's fitness levels have suprised and delighted me, but he is not the norm in our team. The rest of them look so pedestrian at times its painfull. Osbourne apart, I feel it is an area we are miles behind other teams. I also believe it is one of DW's main failings.

hibs0666
26-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Have you not been watching?

Yup, that's why I wondered what you were on about.

Mango Man
27-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Noticed questions being asked about players looking unfit recently but don't think it can be said now that we have just played 120mins versus Motherwell add Pens quickly followed by a tough 90min against Utd, Being in front both games only to have to come from behind to draw twice against two teams who are no slouches, True we have some guys who had not done full preseason it looks to me that they are all there or there abouts now, I am hopeful that this is coinciding with better results and that along with the team familiarising the draws will be wins soon enough !

I think it's just the lack of determination and pace of some of the players that make us probably look unfit, we really don't have any fast players in the team and very few who look like they are giving there all for the cause.

Beefster
27-09-2011, 06:25 AM
3 games; 300 minutes; a penalty shoot out all in 8 days, where many of the last gasp goals came in the closing minutes of the match.

Your point is right but here was only one goal scored in the last 15 minutes of those three games.

Jack
27-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Your point is right but here was only one goal scored in the last 15 minutes of those three games. I suppose you could draw the line anywhere to prove or disprove the point i.e. two goals on Saturday came in the last quarter of the match. :-) and as someone already pointed out it was 7 days not 8 :-P.Leaving all the pedantic stuff aside it shows we're competing right up to the final whistle. .I still think they could be fitter though.

Andy74
27-09-2011, 09:13 AM
I think it's just the lack of determination and pace of some of the players that make us probably look unfit, we really don't have any fast players in the team and very few who look like they are giving there all for the cause.

Spot on. We have a lack of pace, even Sproule isn't that quick these days.

We are also very pedestrian, we don't pass and move, we don't move quickly with the ball, and so it all looks slow. We also don't show any real desire to chase back and to make challenges.

They might be fit in that they could last at that pace all day but seeing as we don't do anyhting quickly or smoothly we look pedestrian.

JimBHibees
27-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Spot on. We have a lack of pace, even Sproule isn't that quick these days.

We are also very pedestrian, we don't pass and move, we don't move quickly with the ball, and so it all looks slow. We also don't show any real desire to chase back and to make challenges.

They might be fit in that they could last at that pace all day but seeing as we don't do anyhting quickly or smoothly we look pedestrian.

We have pace in the team Ivan, Goc and LG have decent pace however there are other players who arent quick, O'Hanlon, Agogo and Murray being notable in that respect. Agree the speed or lack of that we knock the ball about is pedestrian. Your key point is chasing back we are very poor at tracking runnrs especially from midfield and at the level the players are playing at is pretty unforgiveable and it completely exposes an already poor defence.

Keith_M
27-09-2011, 09:31 AM
....We are also very pedestrian, we don't pass and move, we don't move quickly with the ball, and so it all looks slow. ....

It's weird because this really stood out when we played Maribor at home, which is now 14 months, a team and a manager ago. Maribor gave us a real lesson in how to move into space and in 'push and run' football.

How come we're still playing the same kind of football, which wasn't good enough then and it isn't good enough now? :dunno:

thebakerboy
27-09-2011, 10:59 AM
I don't think it's a lack of basic fitness the problem is a lack of desire , we do not (GOC excepted) chase and harry the opposition when they have the ball , but if you look at top players although they may have more ability than our lot what really shows is their application and desire to work on the pitch.