PDA

View Full Version : What could we do with £60 million each season.

Newcastlehibby
26-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Just on the 6pm news. EPL gets £1.2 billion in tv revenue. Man United's share is £60 million. Is it any wonder Scottish football can't compete?

MotherSuperior
26-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Just on the 6pm news. EPL gets £1.2 billion in tv revenue. Man United's share is £60 million. Is it any wonder Scottish football can't compete? I'd like us to reinstall the slope for starters!

Antifa Hibs
26-09-2011, 06:29 PM
And therein lies the problem with Scottish football. And there's nothing we can do about it.

Rangers and Celtic easily in the top 6 biggest clubs in Britian. Yet Cardiff and Wolves are out spending them! Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen, bigger than most Championship teams and some Premier league teams. The whole thing is a farce. And its not just us that are suffering. Your Ajax's, Red Star Belgrades, Steaua Bucharest's etc, all massive clubs with histories and what have ye but won't get a look in as they're not bankrolled with Sky Sports.

***** modern football.

stantonhibby
26-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Reinstate the pre match meal ? :greengrin

matty_f
26-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Reinstate the pre match meal ? :greengrin

:thumbsup:

MWHIBBIES
26-09-2011, 06:58 PM
New catering staff

At The Edge
26-09-2011, 07:09 PM
tv screens in the east foyer which can handle the full size picture on sky sports,
a big monty python type foot to come down on the clowns who shout pish during the match, like the wee guy behind me on Sat who thought it was very funny to shout penalty every time there was a foul commited.

apart from that, maybe a blue square premier or conference type centre half, bring some quality to the SPL :wink:

Kaiser1962
26-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Just on the 6pm news. EPL gets £1.2 billion in tv revenue. Man United's share is £60 million. Is it any wonder Scottish football can't compete?

Haven't seen the overall figures for last season but for 2009-2010 Man United overall income was £286m which was broken down as Matchday Income £100m; Broadcasting income £105m and Commercial £81m. I suspect the money stated in the mail is only the SKY money.

The same season Hibs brought in £7.1m in total.

R'Albin
26-09-2011, 07:15 PM
And therein lies the problem with Scottish football. And there's nothing we can do about it.

Rangers and Celtic easily in the top 6 biggest clubs in Britian. Yet Cardiff and Wolves are out spending them! .

Your first point, we may not be able to compete with the EPL, but we could at least attempt to make it better eg: Try out SPL TV or if the TV companies don't offer us a better deal tell them to **** off for a year. We could expand the league, make more teams go down so it's more competitive, just do something at least!

And your second point there, sadly...they aren't, they probably aren't even in the top 10.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-09-2011, 07:27 PM
i wonder if other countries look at the amount of money in the EPL and then make similar pointless comparisons to their own set up? Maybe we do it because we are joined on the same island, bit the relevance ends there.

Kaiser1962
26-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Rangers and Celtic easily in the top 6 biggest clubs in Britian. Yet Cardiff and Wolves are out spending them! Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen, bigger than most Championship teams and some Premier league teams. The whole thing is a farce. And its not just us that are suffering. Your Ajax's, Red Star Belgrades, Steaua Bucharest's etc, all massive clubs with histories and what have ye but won't get a look in as they're not bankrolled with Sky Sports.

***** modern football.

In a nutshell Antifa.

Your first point, we may not be able to compete with the EPL, but we could at least attempt to make it better eg: Try out SPL TV or if the TV companies don't offer us a better deal tell them to **** off for a year. We could expand the league, make more teams go down so it's more competitive, just do something at least!

And your second point there, sadly...they aren't, they probably aren't even in the top 10.

Rangers and Celtic regularly featured amongst Europes top earners until the last five years or so. Now Celtic would rank 12th in Britain (not Europe) and Rangers 18th (below Blackburn and Stoke but, very slightly, above Birmingham)

bingo70
26-09-2011, 07:33 PM

Unfortunately they definately would be if they played in the premiership and had the funds to attract Premiership standard players.

I don't see whats in it for the TV companies to give us such **** deals, if they gave us more money there'd be a better standard, make sure it's divided better towards teams outside the old firm so they'd get better competition.

IMO there's massive potential in scottish football as the whole country is football daft but we're so keen on putting our own game down and comparing it to English football we've no belief in ourselves anymore.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Is there something we can learn from Porto apart from portuguese ?
Puta merda!

Kaiser1962
26-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Is there something we can learn from Porto apart from portuguese ?
Puta merda!

Porto are/were the exception and that may well have been down to their manager at the time. The only club outside the "big four" nations that have won the Champions league since Ajax in 95. Portos Final was the only final in that time that did not include anyone from Spain, Italy, England or Germany. All the finals of the ECC since the mid nineties have had both teams from these four countries. The only exception being Ajax and the Porto - Monaco final in 2004.

Kato
26-09-2011, 08:44 PM

We could join the Blue Square League.

Jack
26-09-2011, 10:58 PM
i wonder if other countries look at the amount of money in the EPL and then make similar pointless comparisons to their own set up? Maybe we do it because we are joined on the same island, bit the relevance ends there. Apart from language, culture, ease of travel and all the other stuff that makes up the United Kingdom a single entity..And EUFA, FIFA and other European countries are looking at the way the EPL finances are affecting the European game.

TRC
26-09-2011, 11:11 PM

We could buy 600 John Rankins? :greengrin

Kaiser1962
27-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Deloitte reporting today that Manchester United's broadcasting income for last season was £146m.

hibsbollah
27-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Buy 12,000 Ivan Sproules.

HH81
27-09-2011, 07:13 AM
We could join the Blue Square League.

Just like that? I doubt they would make it so easy.

Renfrew_Hibby
27-09-2011, 09:33 AM
We are all obsessed with numbers in Scottish football. English, Spannish, German and Italian sides have always been at or near the top of the game.
It's market forces and huge populations compared to us and similar countries. Sky or anyone couldn't justify giving us a fraction of what they give Premiership sides, it's a business bases on the potential of the armchair viewers and thats it.

What gets me is that Scotish side, especially the Old Firm who still have large incomes, year on year cant't compete with Maribor or Malmo or any number of clubs from various countries who are just as badly off as we are.
Scottish clubs should be doing SO MUCH better than we are and crying that Blackburn or Stoke are getting £50M Sky money per year isn't really an argument for me.

Keith_M
27-09-2011, 09:41 AM
I would re-build the old main terrace.

Not the sliced off section we were left with after 1985 but the humungous structure that was so large we each had 10sqm of space to stand in. That way, we wouldn't have to listen to the shouts of all the aerosols that attend games now.

Nae poncy roof and fancy toilets either. Turn it back into a game for real men!! :greengrin

Andy Bee
27-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Haven't seen the overall figures for last season but for 2009-2010 Man United overall income was £286m which was broken down as Matchday Income £100m; Broadcasting income £105m and Commercial £81m. I suspect the money stated in the mail is only the SKY money.

The same season Hibs brought in £7.1m in total.

The £60m is the cooncil telly money :agree: they were chatting about it last night on Talksport

Personally I think a percentage of the money from Scottish Sky subscribers should stay in Scottish football, the same goes for the TV license money. I don't agree that my Sky subs are going over the border to help fund the obscene amounts of cash being thrown about in the EPL even although I get it for nowt :whistle:

KeithTheHibby
27-09-2011, 12:36 PM
If Sky want to pay outrageous money for what is an over hyped league then let them get on with it.

Some of the games that are broadcast are woeful, the QPR game at the weekend springs to mind.

Ironically enough the more money Sky pump into the EPL the worse the national team seems to get. Since sky got involved almost 20 years ago England national team have been nowhere when it comes to the WC and Euros. Coincidence? Doubtful given the fact that the EPL is littered with foreign players and over-rated english lads.

CFC
27-09-2011, 07:16 PM
If Sky want to pay outrageous money for what is an over hyped league then let them get on with it.Some of the games that are broadcast are woeful, the QPR game at the weekend springs to mind.Ironically enough the more money Sky pump into the EPL the worse the national team seems to get. Since sky got involved almost 20 years ago England national team have been nowhere when it comes to the WC and Euros. Coincidence? Doubtful given the fact that the EPL is littered with foreign players and over-rated english lads.To be fair England are more or less at the level theyve been for the last 30 odd years (quarter finalists at best). I don't think the EPL has had quite the negative influence on the national team as some like to think.

Antifa Hibs
27-09-2011, 07:21 PM

Course they are. They'd be in the biggest 10 clubs in the world if given £60m for gratis.

CFC
27-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Top 10 in the world? Would they even be bigger than Villa, Spurs or Everton? IMO what is consistently overlooked when it comes to the infirm going to EPL is that theres no guarantee theyd win anything. Their fanbase is and always has been inflated due to gloryhunting, wheres the glory in coming 10th and getting pumped out all the cups in the first round?