PDA

View Full Version : John Rankin

Septimus
25-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Looked to me as though none of our new midfield talent looked any better than John Rankin yesterday.

At least he always looks as though he cares.

edwards
25-09-2011, 02:32 PM
He was always going to raise his game against us as he had something to prove, how many countless games did he run about like a headless chicken not creating chances for our forwards when at ER :rolleyes:.

Moulin Yarns
25-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Always rated Rankin,as one to give 105%

hibsbollah
25-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Everything about John Rankin got on my thruppenies while he was here, right down to the way he wore his socks, and i normally like every hibs player. Im glad hes gone.

erin go bragh
25-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Looked to me as though none of our new midfield talent looked any better than John Rankin yesterday.

At least he always looks as though he cares.

If dundee utd think john rankin has improved their midfield,more fool them , well rid .

GGTTH

Green and white
25-09-2011, 03:31 PM
I would play the boy Gary McKay-Stephen over him if I was the Dundee United gaffer. I went to the same school as that boy and he was something else. He learned his craft at Ross County and then Liverpool when he was 16. I don't hate Rankin I just feel it was better he moved on.

Bayern Bru
25-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I agree.

He can certainly still blooter the ball out of play like no other.

Spent much of his Hibs career living off that flukey goal against Celtic. Offered us very little, and to be honest, I forgot he was playing at times yesterday so he's not exactly noticeable.

--------
25-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Everything about John Rankin got on my thruppenies while he was here, right down to the way he wore his socks, and i normally like every hibs player. Im glad hes gone.

Ozzie had the right idea - knock him over and flatten him. :devil:

Dashing Bob S
25-09-2011, 03:53 PM
I would play the boy Gary McKay-Stephen over him if I was the Dundee United gaffer. I went to the same school as that boy and he was something else. He learned his craft at Ross County and then Liverpool when he was 16. I don't hate Rankin I just feel it was better he moved on.

I like the kid's style. If I had a name like that, I'd want to add a 'Stephen' or something on the end.

hibsbollah
25-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Ozzie had the right idea - knock him over and flatten him. :devil:

I could be mistaken but wasnt that Palsson?

--------
25-09-2011, 03:57 PM
I could be mistaken but wasnt that Palsson?

You're right, it was Palsson. My apologies.

Eyes gone, brain gone, legs gone and three stones overweight - I should be a referee.

But whoever it was, as Mr Punch would say, "That's the way to do it!" :devil:

hibsbollah
25-09-2011, 04:01 PM
You're right, it was Palsson. My apologies.

But whoever it was, as Mr Punch would say, "That's the way to do it!" :devil:

He would indeed. I thought Palsson was poor yesterday but leaving Rankin in a heap and then eyeballing the other united players afterwards was quite amusing. It wouldnt have been if he'd got the red but there you go :greengrin

Green and white
25-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I like the kid's style. If I had a name like that, I'd want to add a 'Stephen' or something on the end.

His parents split and he just decided to take both names if I remember correctly. I wonder what he will have on his strip?

--------
25-09-2011, 04:07 PM
He would indeed. I thought Palsson was poor yesterday but leaving Rankin in a heap and then eyeballing the other united players afterwards was quite amusing. It wouldnt have been if he'd got the red but there you go :greengrin

But he took the ball - cleanly. :rolleyes:

There were far too many aimless hoicks out of defence. Boozy said it at half-time - they need to learn composure on the ball.

jonty
25-09-2011, 04:07 PM
His parents split and he just decided to take both names if I remember correctly. I wonder what he will have on his strip?
His number :greengrin

Hibs Class
25-09-2011, 04:24 PM
I like the kid's style. If I had a name like that, I'd want to add a 'Stephen' or something on the end. I'd keep it simple and just add "not" as an extra first name.

EasterRoad4Ever
25-09-2011, 05:00 PM
He was always going to raise his game against us as he had something to prove, how many countless games did he run about like a headless chicken not creating chances for our forwards when at ER :rolleyes:.

Typical lower league player - raises his game for one match against us, yet could count on one hand the no of half-decent matches he had for us. JR was never good enough for Hibs. The fact that some Hibs fans think he was good enough (cos he ran about a lot) just shows how far our beloved Hibs have fallen and how low our expectation have dropped.

Winston Ingram
25-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Rankin was capable of raising his game. Usually when he'd came back into the team. Problem with him however when he started retaining his place that's when the problem's started.

His demons started telling him he was either Glenn Hoddle or Lionel Messi and would attempt absolutely ridiculous passes, dribbles or shots.

I'll never understand why just because 'he gives his all' that we should keep a player. Loads of amateur players give their all every weekend so does that mean we should sign them?

Players win contracts with their football ability which is why it has often surprised me that players like Rankin even get picked up on a scouting system.

He is a truly woeful brainless footballer that we are well shot of:agree:

Hibby Bairn
25-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Did he not set up two Utd goals?

Winston Ingram
25-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Did he not set up two Utd goals?

I suppose if you call his sclaffed shot a 'set up' then yes, though I think Graham Stack should claim it

Jones28
25-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Played a part in all three Utd goals:

Shot not handled by Stack for the first, played the through ball to Swanson for the second and then his wee flick went to Dixon who crossed in for the third

If he'd played like that for Hibs he'd be getting absolutely raved about on here

greenlex
25-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Jeezus. The laddie doesnt even play for us any more and he is still getting it tight. Give him a break FFS. A model pro who works hard, makes good use of what skills and talent he has and plays the game for a living. More than any if us could do.

marinello59
25-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Jeezus. The laddie doesnt even play for us any more and he is still getting it tight. Give him a break FFS. A model pro who works hard, makes good use of what skills and talent he has and plays the game for a living. More than any if us could do.

Exactly.
He had a more than decent game yesterday for United as well but I guess if people don't want to see that they won't.

--------
25-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Exactly.
He had a more than decent game yesterday for United as well but I guess if people don't want to see that they won't.

Well, I didn't say he didn't play well.

I just enjoyed seeing him get flattened. :devil:

(But I'm not biassed against him particularly. I'd have enjoyed seeing any or all the United players getting flattened. The more, the flatter, the happier I'd be. Is that wrong? Is it too much to ask?)

oldbutdim
25-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Exactly.

Quite so.
:agree:

Nonetheless he is still a whining wee scrote.

IFONLY
25-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Played a part in all three Utd goals:

Shot not handled by Stack for the first, played the through ball to Swanson for the second and then his wee flick went to Dixon who crossed in for the third

If he'd played like that for Hibs he'd be getting absolutely raved about on here

Thats it in a nutshell, there are none as blind as those cannot see.

lapsedhibee
25-09-2011, 06:35 PM
there are none as blind as those cannot see.

:hmmm:

--------
25-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Thats it in a nutshell, there are none as blind as those cannot see.

"There are none so blind as those who WILL not see."

That's to say, the deliberately obtuse, of whom we have more than a plenitude on this forum... :rolleyes:

:devil:

madabouthibs
25-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Some players have decent individual talent while some play a better role whilst part of a team of certain players.
I reckon Rankin is a half decent midfielder, not a lot of great individual talent, but a good worker and, with the right players around him, a decent player.
Thats the problem, at Hibs he didn't have decent players around him, we probably done him a favour getting shot of him. :agree:

Hibs Class
25-09-2011, 07:17 PM
He set up their first goal well but then his celebration looked a little half hearted. Whenever I looked for him for most of the game he seemed to be running into space rather than having anything to do with the ball.

Danderhall Hibs
25-09-2011, 07:42 PM

If he'd played like that for Hibs he wouldn't have been released.

Cropley10
25-09-2011, 07:48 PM

Precisely:agree:

Gala Foxes
25-09-2011, 08:00 PM
He's gone so move on

Judas Iscariot
25-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Just 'cos John Rank looked good yesterday doesn't mean heehaw..

Our PATHETIC centre midfield could make the *****st of players look like world beaters!!

JR was woeful at us, the fact he looked good yesterday says more about how useless our manager is and the players he's brought in than anything about the wee melted welly midget Rank than anything...

Alfred E Newman
25-09-2011, 08:28 PM

:agree: As he says, best move ever for him getting away from the so called coaching set up at Easter Road.

Judas Iscariot
25-09-2011, 08:34 PM
:agree: As he says, best move ever for him getting away from the so called coaching set up at Easter Road.

Was it the Hibs coaching that made him crap?

Danderhall Hibs
25-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Was it the Hibs coaching that made him crap?

Must've been. All 3 management teams that he played (and didn't impress) under.

I fully expect him to be in the next Scotland squad now he's getting proper coaching and that.

marinello59
25-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Must've been. All 3 management teams that he played (and didn't impress) under.

I fully expect him to be in the next Scotland squad now he's getting proper coaching and that.

When do we move on from ridiculing and over exagerating any positive claims made here about Rankin's ability and get back to throwing more vitriol at the guy?
If only Houston had read this forum before sigining the dud. :agree:

500miles
25-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Rankin was a decent player for us. He was unfortunate to be in the midfield he was - he had to be all things to all men, and while he was capable in most roles - a dogged ballwinner, energetic runner, a far better passer than he was often credited with, and a hard, hard worker. Under Mixu, I thought Rankin has some rather good performances for us. Fared quite well in the assists chart when he played regularly, and when the season was coming to an end and other players were losing thier edge, Rankin was often a one man midfield.

Danderhall Hibs
25-09-2011, 09:38 PM
When do we move on from ridiculing and over exagerating any positive claims made here about Rankin's ability and get back to throwing more vitriol at the guy?
If only Houston had read this forum before sigining the dud. :agree:

The thread was started as some kind of GIUY to folk that thought he was pish.

Folk then moved on to over exaggerate how good he was yesterday. Then it was pointed out that he said it was all the managers he had at Hibs' fault for him being pish. So he got some vitriol thrown at him. Big deal likes.

Septimus
26-09-2011, 06:40 AM
The thread was started as some kind of GIUY to folk that thought he was pish.
Folk then moved on to over exaggerate how good he was yesterday. Then it was pointed out that he said it was all the managers he had at Hibs' fault for him being pish. So he got some vitriol thrown at him. Big deal likes.

The thread was started to point out that Rankin was better on Saturday than any of the midfield players that we had on show. The general concensus of the posters in the thread seems to be that they felt the same. There is no point whatsover in getting rid of players if we cannot put better players in their place and right now, in the case of Rankin, that does not appear to have happened.

patlowe
26-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Offered us very little, and to be honest, I forgot he was playing at times yesterday so he's not exactly noticeable.

He had a significant role in all three of Utd's goals. I wish our midfielders could be so anonymous!

Seriously though, Rankin was pretty awful for Hibs and had to go. Fair doos to the guy for making a move that has worked out well for him.

blackpoolhibs
26-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Ranking was a limited player who always gave 100%. We replaced him with better, that's correct isn't it?

NOLA
26-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Ranking was a limited player who always gave 100%. We replaced him with better, that's correct isn't it?
aye, that's it:wink:

Bayern Bru
27-09-2011, 04:32 PM
He had a significant role in all three of Utd's goals. I wish our midfielders could be so anonymous!

Seriously though, Rankin was pretty awful for Hibs and had to go. Fair doos to the guy for making a move that has worked out well for him.

Aye, alright. :greengrin

"at times" were the key words in my original post. I don't deny that he had a hand in their goals. But I still forgot he was playing at times. Maybe it's a sign of an effective player, that he does the business without drawing attention to himself, but there was clearly something missing from his game when he was at Hibs.

greenlex
27-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Aye, alright. :greengrin

there was clearly something missing from his game when he was at Hibs.

Aye. Support

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Aye. Support

Really? Is that all?

greenlex
27-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Really? Is that all?

Wouldn't have hurt would it?
A player who always gave 100% and was rarely as bad as suggested on this board. Funny how he ended up at tannadice and not that first division.

Albion Hibs
27-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Cringworthy but to be expected that this thread would have appeared following the game. Rankin took so much abuse on here when he was one of our own players, as soon as he moves on he is great, and the classic, 'it must have been the managers fault'.

Fact of the matter is his own fans canned him when he was one of our own players. Yet it will be the ones that hammered him before that are praising him now. Probably the same ones that said Scott and Palsson were the best thing in the world, despite having probably never having heard of them. With all the passes being "sprayed about" the midfield being dominated, and of course us having the next Scott Brown, it was pretty easy for more than a few to turn on a player that worked his nuts off for us every week.

Regardless of his performance at the weekend, he would be in my team over Palsson the pass sprayer and Jimmy Scott Brown.

I wonder if we will ever learn that showing support to our players will actually help there preformance, or will we just given our own more abuse than we give away players, until they say **** it who needs the hassle of playing for Hibs.

Alfred E Newman
27-09-2011, 08:05 PM
This is the classic " not Hibs class" thread. It probably says more about why every manager who comes here and tries to build a team is destined to struggle.

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2011, 08:11 PM
This is the classic " not Hibs class" thread. It probably says more about why every manager who comes here and tries to build a team is destined to struggle.

A lot of folk get an opinion early doors and will never change that opinion. So you get a few guys on here that've been dying for Rankin to have a good game coming on to say told you I was right.

It's funny that they say that all Rankin needed was a bit of support to be good but then go on to say that he's better than the guys we've got currently - obviously they don't need any support?

IWasThere2016
27-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Majority of Arabs' fans would have him as their POTY. IIRC, RP signed him and Yogi was letting his contract run doon :devil:

Danderhall Hibs
27-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Majority of Arabs' fans would have him as their POTY. IIRC, RP signed him and Yogi was letting his contract run doon :devil:

POTY or Player of the first few games? :devil:

Winston Ingram
27-09-2011, 09:06 PM
I watched him for nearly 3 years and he was rotten.

Players are signed up primarily for their talent from an early age and to me it beggars belief this boy was ever scouted. Yes he could beat a player, he could shoot and even get a pass on target occasionally. The thing for me with Rankin is that his decision making was on a par with an 11 year old boy.:jamboak:

Bayern Bru
28-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Aye. Support

You don't think there were management issues? Rankin wasn't the only player who didn't seem to perform/got slated on here and I can't help but feel that there was something going on behind the scenes. Especially when you look at quite a few players and what they say in the media. Specifically Hughes, actually...did the 'Ah'm yer best pal, so ah um' routine get tired after a while?

FWIW, I am not part of the anti-Rankin brigade - there were times when I didn't think he offered much but I certainly didn't level the abuse at him that some on here did.

I just think there was something going on behind the scenes, with the management, that affected a lot of players and that's why so many didn't perform.

And I don't mean the huddies that Hughes signed! :greengrin

IWasThere2016
28-09-2011, 04:22 AM
POTY or Player of the first few games? :devil:

Ye kent ..

I thought JR would be a good signing at the time but he was a huge disappointment.