PDA

View Full Version : O'Hanlon and Hanlon....

smurf
25-09-2011, 11:35 AM
I've read the comments of us being exposed on the flanks etc but these two as a partnership look awful...

Can O'Hanlon jump? He's certainly no pace... I don't rate him at all.

Hanlon looks short in confidence but again he has a liability alongside him.

The fragility of our central defence is horrendous. We look like always conceding with any half decent ball whipped in across our central defence. A half decent through ball exposes our lack of pace in central defence. And then on the rare occasion the ball isn't aimlessly launched forward they look incredibly cumbersome passing it out from the back...

To eventually win any football games we are going to have to score an awful lot of goals with that shambolic defence.

That we have so few options is shameful use of the managers resources.

R'Albin
25-09-2011, 11:36 AM
I've read the comments of us being exposed on the flanks etc but these two as a partnership look awful...

The fragility of our central defence is horrendous. We look like always conceding with any half decent ball whipped in across our central defence. A half decent through ball exposes our lack of pace in central defence. And then on the rare occasion the ball isn't aimlessly launched forward they look incredibly cumbersome passing it out from the back...

To eventually win any football games we are going to have to score an awful lot of goals with that shambolic defence.

:agree: But we are exposed on the flanks though, that is also a problem.

matty_f
25-09-2011, 11:39 AM

While I don't think O'Hanlon is as bad as you suggest, the biggest problem between the two of them is a total lack of communication with each other and the full backs.

Sodje_18
25-09-2011, 11:42 AM

Totally disagree with that. I think Hanlon is the liability. He's no hard enough for this league, way too lightweight. He's also been at fault for some amount of goals this season.

Craig_HFC
25-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Totally disagree with that. I think Hanlon is the liability. He's no hard enough for this league, way too lightweight. He's also been at fault for some amount of goals this season.

I agree.

blackpoolhibs
25-09-2011, 12:39 PM
O'hanlon is an average player, playing alongside a lot of the same. We were told by clueless it was quality over quantity this time round. Not really sure how he fits in with this strategy? And to be fair he's not alone.

Northernhibee
25-09-2011, 12:40 PM
I like O'Hanlon. Put a more pacey, strong central defender next to him, a couple of decent full backs and he'll look a lot better, but like Osbourne, there are some really good signs with him.

greenlex
25-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Both are unfortunately guilty of ball watching.
Not sure about O'Hanlon to be honest. Slow and doesn't seem to be very vocal. Paul ain't vocal either. We need a commanding vocal leader in there. I don't think we have such a thing at the club.

--------
25-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Both are unfortunately guilty of ball watching.
Not sure about O'Hanlon to be honest. Slow and doesn't seem to be very vocal. Paul ain't vocal either. We need a commanding vocal leader in there. I don't think we have such a thing at the club.

The penny, apparently, has finally dropped. HOW long has he been here? :rolleyes:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/hibernian/271866-colin-calderwood-turns-his-attention-to-leaky-defence/

Hibernia Na Eir
25-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Hibs HAVE to get this area, the spine, sorted once and for all. its where we've been let down for years. Rangers and Hearts always make sure they have experience in those positions. we seem to overlook it, constantly. I'm not convinced with either Hanlon or O'Hanlon. very poor the both of them. guess that's what you get for a cheaper player.

MountcastleHibs
25-09-2011, 04:21 PM
While I don't think O'Hanlon is as bad as you suggest, the biggest problem between the two of them is a total lack of communication with each other and the full backs. O'Hanlon was marshalling the defense yesterday. He was roaring at them, I could hear him from my seat in the East. There's communication there, just a lack of understanding.

tamig
25-09-2011, 05:10 PM

Totally agree with this.

ancient hibee
25-09-2011, 05:14 PM
If they continue to refuse to stay tight on players we will lose a lot more goals-particularly as Stack couldn't catch a cold.We must lose more goals to tap ins by unmarked players than the rest of the league put together.

Booked4Being-Ugly
25-09-2011, 05:19 PM
The bottom line is we don't have a decent defender at the club.

Even Stack has lost the plot recently and has contributed to the total shambles at the back.

I just can't see CC sorting this out and we're going to be languishing around the bottom of the table again at the end of the season if it's not sorted.

Or

GOC will need to double his goal tally to around 40 to make up for shipping goals at the back.

The good thing is it can't get any worse!

BroxburnHibee
25-09-2011, 05:26 PM
I think we need to forget about the goalkeeping situation. We're lucky IMO to have 2 pretty good goalies who can both do a job.

Yes there will be mistakes but not overreacting to them will help reduce the frequency of them hopefully :greengrin

Our central defense are painfully slow and hesitant. That should be the focus IMO.

.Sean.
25-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Hanlon is vastly over-rated. He's not particularly strong, isn't commanding, not excellent in the air nor is he great with the ball at his feet. As for O'Hanlon, he's a poor imitation of Rob Jones. I didn't rate Jones so I think that speaks volumes on what I think of him as a player. Calderwood had cash to spend, he could have invested it in a few good defenders, but he *****ed his cash on pish like Agogo.

hibs0666
25-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Hanlon is vastly over-rated. He's not particularly strong, isn't commanding, not excellent in the air nor is he great with the ball at his feet. As for O'Hanlon, he's a poor imitation of Rob Jones. I didn't rate Jones so I think that speaks volumes on what I think of him as a player. Calderwood had cash to spend, he could have invested it in a few good defenders, but he *****ed his cash on pish like Agogo.

That'll be the Agogo that scored one and set one up yesterday? :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
25-09-2011, 06:59 PM
That'll be the Agogo that scored one and set one up yesterday? :thumbsup:

He did that J :agree:

He also lost possession allowing Utd to score their 2nd*

*In the interest of balance likes :greengrin

Shrekko
25-09-2011, 07:03 PM
As for O'Hanlon, he's a poor imitation of Rob Jones.

I'd say he's more a poor mans Colin Murdock- words I never thought I'd type.

Hopefully he's just settling in but his lack of pace, mobility, passing and heading ability is a worry at this point. He looks absolutely useless and I'm stunned that folk would say he looks ok at this stage.

hibs0666
25-09-2011, 07:04 PM
He did that J :agree:

He also lost possession allowing Utd to score their 2nd*

*In the interest of balance likes :greengrin

He did indeed - he's clearly not match-fit yet yet his ball through for O'Connor was fantastic and his finish was also top-drawer. But I know it's not the Hibs way to dwell on the positives. :flag:

MWHIBBIES
25-09-2011, 07:28 PM
I think O'Hanlon has done fine so far. Hanlon on the other hand hasn't. He doesn't win any headers and always tries to nick the ball from the attacker before he can get it and turn, this leads to him constantly being out of position and leaves a big hole in the defence. I also think that the fullbacks are a huge problem. Not the players but the system that I assume CC has told them to operate under. I can't be the only one who realised that both of them going forward at the same time every time we go over the half way line is leaving us very very open for the counter. Yes they both are attacking young fullbacks(when Towell and Booth play) but 1 of them has to stay back and slot in when the other does forward or we are going to get killed by quick teams this season.

Forthview
25-09-2011, 07:30 PM
IMO Paul Hanlon is as piss poor as Restalrig's finest John yogi Hughes and him ang Hogg are about the worst I've seen in 35 years of support.
He is good at nothing in particular and has no clue where 'his man' is ,so many goals are conceded from opponents on his blind side(s).
Does anybody think that all other managers dont see this, its a gift for them. He is a liability.
I dont know the guy and have nothing personal against him, I just think he is a rank rotten footballer and a liability.

stevensons-fan
25-09-2011, 07:33 PM

What an earth was he doing for their 3rd goal?! :confused:

lucky
25-09-2011, 07:38 PM

Totally disagree over O Hanlon. He is the only defender at the club that has been decent this season. Paul Hanlon has had lts of chance but makes too many mistakes. I know we are exposed at full back but I blame who ever is playing wide in the midfield. Spoony was all over the place yesterday not supporting his full back. Ozzy is never a wide player. I would play Booth in front of Murray and Ivan in front of Towell. Give them a few games to try and build an understanding.

Jones28
25-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Still unsure if there is ANY communication between the two CB's

O'hanlon didn't lose a ball in the air at all yesterday, Hanlon was an empty jersey. Tuesday will be the other way around. The fact is we have a developing partnership that will get better with more games.

I hope :pray:

Duffys13
25-09-2011, 07:53 PM

Agree with the lightweight part, I noticed Swanson beat him in the air a couple of times yesterday. Have you seen the size and build of Swanson!

sesoim
25-09-2011, 09:54 PM

And a fair few last season as well. CC should have signed TWO CBs in the summer, but he was too busy signing mediocre players for other positions.

Albion Hibs
25-09-2011, 10:16 PM

Are you being serious, he won plenty in the air yesterday against Daly, a player who is very good in the air. What game were you watching?

I think it is fair to say a lot of the goals we have conceeded this season have come from the left / at the left CH. I think Murray playing alongside him will help massively.

The defence seems to be taking a pounding from yesterday yet a blind man could see it was our midfield, strikers and keeper were the ones that let us down / caused us to end up two down and fighting back to achieve a good point.

rossi
26-09-2011, 03:09 AM
The problem this season is we're spoilt for scapegoats; Murray, Spooney, Hanlon, Ohanlon.....

We need to decide on one and really get stuck into him. It's what 'supporting' Hibs is all about.:greengrin

brydekirk
26-09-2011, 05:04 AM
Totally disagree over O Hanlon. He is the only defender at the club that has been decent this season. Paul Hanlon has had lts of chance but makes too many mistakes. I know we are exposed at full back but I blame who ever is playing wide in the midfield. Spoony was all over the place yesterday not supporting his full back. Ozzy is never a wide player. I would play Booth in front of Murray and Ivan in front of Towell. Give them a few games to try and build an understanding.
agree with this, playing 433 we have no midfield, doesnt help when spoony and ivan cant be bothered tracking back.

I'm_cabbaged
26-09-2011, 05:55 AM
O'Hanlon makes Murdoch look like Franz Beckenbauer.

swazzie
26-09-2011, 07:37 AM
How about Palsson at centre back along side O'Hanlon to give Hanlon a break to get his confidence and form back. Move Scott into Palsson's midfield role :dunno:

aussie_hibee
26-09-2011, 07:50 AM
How about Palsson at centre back along side O'Hanlon to give Hanlon a break to get his confidence and form back. Move Scott into Palsson's midfield role :dunno:
:agree::agree::agree:
Basic 4-4-2 reading right to left
Brown

Towell
O'hanlon
Pallson
Murray

Sproule
Osbourne
Scott
Booth

O'Connor
Griffiths

Luna Landing
26-09-2011, 08:31 AM
I agree we are losing too many easy goals - if we stopped giving the ball away in midfield it would be a start - what was Agogo thinking about in the lead up to their 2nd goal ? ( and who voted him MoM - I know he scored but come on osbourne was head and shoulders above everyone else)

Anyway as for the defence if you think back to Saturday all of their goals came from attacks down our right flank with Towell and O'Hanlon being caught hopelessly out of position on several occasions. From what I could see Hanlon did OK ( though he could do with being a bit stronger in the tackle ) and Murray was fine ( if a bit slow nowadays). Of course its only one game but in my view its the right side of the defence that needs sorted - we still dont have a decent RB much as I like Towell when we are going forward.

StevieC
26-09-2011, 08:45 AM
While I don't think O'Hanlon is as bad as you suggest, the biggest problem between the two of them is a total lack of communication with each other and the full backs.

Totally disagree.

One thing I noticed with O'Hanlon, and commented on at the time, was that we now had a player that would shout and command his defence.

Dashing Bob S
26-09-2011, 08:48 AM
IMO Paul Hanlon is as piss poor as Restalrig's finest John yogi Hughes and him ang Hogg are about the worst I've seen in 35 years of support.
He is good at nothing in particular and has no clue where 'his man' is ,so many goals are conceded from opponents on his blind side(s).
Does anybody think that all other managers dont see this, its a gift for them. He is a liability.
I dont know the guy and have nothing personal against him, I just think he is a rank rotten footballer and a liability.

Except one of them:

1. Can't tackle
2. Doesn't shout at fellow defenders
3. Doesn't intimidate opposition players
4. Dosen't say 'right good' or play with his heart on his sleeve.

I'd settle for a Hughesesque presence at the back right now.

Dashing Bob S
26-09-2011, 08:55 AM
We lack pace in defence with Murray now practically walking backwards and O'Hanlon, well, I could seriously give him a run for his money after twelve gins. So it's important that defenders stay tight on forwards, which the don't do, are not left exposed by a lacklustre midfield, which they are, not pulled wide due to an inability to defend on the flanks, which they are, and also talk to each other, which they don't seem t be, or at least not enough.

The sad thing is, we have the forward power, and even a bog-standard SPL-competent defence would see us climbing the table.

MB62
26-09-2011, 09:16 AM

It is something I have been saying since the Kilmarnock game but Palsson was getting wasted at right back. We all love to see our own young laddies coming through the ranks and doing the biz for the first team. Unfortunately, IMO, the present crop are falling short of making the grade but are getting shoved in to the deep before being either ready or simply good enough. Paul Hanlon, I'm afraid, is needing either rested or replaced but we don't have an obvious choice to replace him as big Stephens is in the same boat. When Palsson first came to Hibs he stepped in to the centre half role in a game at ER when we either had a man sent off or was taken off injured. Apparently he has played that role as a laddie for Liverpool and I think he is certainly worth a try, it would also take him out of the midfield where he seems to be struggling too, don't think him and Osbourne together is working.

matty_f
26-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Totally disagree.

One thing I noticed with O'Hanlon, and commented on at the time, was that we now had a player that would shout and command his defence.

Fair enough, someone else said the same and I have to admit I never noticed it on Saturday. Maybe it was the Hanlon/Murray side of defence that weren't communicating, but there definitely seemed to be huge breakdowns in communication in the defence.

Speedway
26-09-2011, 08:04 PM
O'Hanlon was marshalling the defense yesterday. He was roaring at them, I could hear him from my seat in the East. There's communication there, just a lack of understanding.

He should stop shouting in gaelic then.

The bottom line is we don't have a decent defender at the club.

Even Stack has lost the plot recently and has contributed to the total shambles at the back.

I just can't see CC sorting this out and we're going to be languishing around the bottom of the table again at the end of the season if it's not sorted.

Or

GOC will need to double his goal tally to around 40 to make up for shipping goals at the back.

The good thing is it can't get any worse!

Oh, I dunno about that.