PDA

View Full Version : What's the problem with the defence?

matty_f
24-09-2011, 07:05 PM
I thought that all of the back four had decent games individually today, but the defence has me covering my eyes any time a team attacks us. How does CC sort it out?

I think the biggest problem is we get left very exposed down the flanks, and it leaves both full backs with two, sometimes three players to deal with, this means that a centre half normally comes over to help, leaving a massive gap in the middle to be exploited.

I'd love to see more communication from them, there was one point in the first half where Murray needlessly headed a ball out for a throw, where if Hanlon had given him a shout he'd have known to let the ball go over his head and out of play. The players aren't talking to each other when picking players up either, so two will go to one man, leaving someone else totally free.

It looked today (IMHO) that Palsson and Osbourne were doing not a bad job of stopping United coming straight through us, but any time United got the ball out wide, we struggled.

If you were CC, how would you fix it?

Albion Hibs
24-09-2011, 07:15 PM
I would agree that today the defence was not the problem, it is how the players in front of them defend when we are being attacked. Despite the fact we were always going to be exposed down the flanks given we were playing with a narrow 3 in midfield I thought Utd had little to no joy in those areas. Our first goal game from a midfielder not defending (Wotherspoon) and not tracking back, very lazy and school boy stuff, he should be miles better than that. Our second came from a centre forward getting mugged needlessly in a deep position if we are playing with two defensive midfielders then I dont know why both of them were ahead of the ball, if they were behind it I dont think Utd can run through the middle of the park and score. The third was offside, an easy spot if the linesman was where he was supposed to be and a reflection of the pash poor standard of officials in this league.

In terms of how to solve it is difficult, he can only select the team and ask them to do the job they are paid for, some of them need to be far more aware and get the basics right every time, I dont think that is too much to expect.

Hiber-nation
24-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Opinons opinions. I though that the defence were the cause of almost everything that went wrong today in what was a terrible game for a 3 all. Going by the comments on the main board tonight it must have been only me and all the others around me that thought Hanlon was absolutely dire today and Towell offers us nothing whatsoever.

matty_f
24-09-2011, 07:24 PM
I would agree that today the defence was not the problem, it is how the players in front of them defend when we are being attacked. Despite the fact we were always going to be exposed down the flanks given we were playing with a narrow 3 in midfield I thought Utd had little to no joy in those areas. Our first goal game from a midfielder not defending (Wotherspoon) and not tracking back, very lazy and school boy stuff, he should be miles better than that. Our second came from a centre forward getting mugged needlessly in a deep position if we are playing with two defensive midfielders then I dont know why both of them were ahead of the ball, if they were behind it I dont think Utd can run through the middle of the park and score. The third was offside, an easy spot if the linesman was where he was supposed to be and a reflection of the pash poor standard of officials in this league.

In terms of how to solve it is difficult, he can only select the team and ask them to do the job they are paid for, some of them need to be far more aware and get the basics right every time, I dont think that is too much to expect.

Tend to agree with that (I was at the other end though, so don't know about the third being offside).

Their first goal actually came from us having a throw in well into their half on our left hand side. I could see, when the ball got switched by United, that the goal was coming. Wotherspoon was nowhere and Towell was left exposed. I actually thought Stack did well to get down to the shot and couldn't really be blamed for not holding it, but I'd like to see it again given a few folk have said that he was poor for it.

Alfred E Newman
24-09-2011, 07:29 PM
The main problem with the defence is our powder puff and pedestrian midfield.

At The Edge
24-09-2011, 07:36 PM
I thought that all of the back four had decent games individually today, but the defence has me covering my eyes any time a team attacks us. How does CC sort it out?

I'd love to see more communication from them, there was one point in the first half where Murray needlessly headed a ball out for a throw, where if Hanlon had given him a shout he'd have known to let the ball go over his head and out of play. The players aren't talking to each other when picking players up either, so two will go to one man, leaving someone else totally free.

This! so many times today the defenders O'Hanlon in particular had time to bring the ball down and pick a pass, but instead chose to header it back where it came from. if one of his fellow team mates had gave a shout to say that he had time we might have less bombscare moments.
another time it looked like Towell and O'Hanlon left the utd player to each othe in our boxr, neither got to him and they utd player got a cross in.
as Hoskins was paid to say 'its good to talk!'

by the way not picking on O'Hanlon but those moments stick in my mind
:flag:

hibsbollah
24-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Individually, they're just not very good. Hanlon can occasionally have good games, but isnt physically strong or quick and prone to lapses in concentration. O'Hanlon is painfully slow, although decent in the air and a battler. Murray is now a liability in my opinion. Booth is still learning and although talented, needs a bit of nurturing to stop him turning into the next Spoony. Towell? not bad, not great.

For us to be solid for 90 minutes we need 4 of the players above to ALL play as well as theyre capable of playing, ie-no-one is allowed an off-day. That isnt going to happen very often, so, we're probably going to concede a lot of goals over the course of a season.

On top of that, the system CC is playing is leaving both fullbacks (hardly our strongest position at the moment) painfully exposed. The midfielders are ridiculously narrow, so we essentially dont have wide midfielders anymore, certainly not ones that give our fullbacks any protection.

Against a decent team with decent wide players and a decent coach who will instruct his players to keep attacking from the flanks, we could get seriously hammered this season.

Yours,
Mr. :flag:Happy Clapper

matty_f
24-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Individually, they're just not very good. Hanlon can occasionally have good games, but isnt physically strong or quick and prone to lapses in concentration. O'Hanlon is painfully slow, although decent in the air and a battler. Murray is now a liability in my opinion. Booth is still learning and although talented, needs a bit of nurturing to stop him turning into the next Spoony. Towell? not bad, not great.

For us to be solid for 90 minutes we need 4 of the players above to ALL play as well as theyre capable of playing, ie-no-one is allowed an off-day. That isnt going to happen very often, so, we're probably going to concede a lot of goals over the course of a season.

On top of that, the system CC is playing is leaving both fullbacks (hardly our strongest position at the moment) painfully exposed. The midfielders are ridiculously narrow, so we essentially dont have wide midfielders anymore, certainly not ones that give our fullbacks any protection.

Against a decent team with decent wide players and a decent coach who will instruct his players to keep attacking from the flanks, we could get seriously hammered this season.

Yours,

Do you think bringing Stephens in for Hanlon would make a difference?

I agree with what you're saying, btw. Looking at it objectively I think the players there are capable of good games, but doing it consistently and at the same time as everyone else is something that they've not managed to do yet.

hibsbollah
24-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Do you think bringing Stephens in for Hanlon would make a difference?

I agree with what you're saying, btw. Looking at it objectively I think the players there are capable of good games, but doing it consistently and at the same time as everyone else is something that they've not managed to do yet.

I actually like what ive seen of Stephens and would be happy for him to have a run in the team.

MotherSuperior
24-09-2011, 07:55 PM
I mentioned it in the match update thread: we hold a dangerously high defensive line, and none of our defenders are blessed with any real pace. Also our fullbacks often hit the opposition byline and leave gaping holes for the opposition to exploit. You would think that the two holding midfielders would be able to plug the gaps, but they don't seem to have the tactical awareness, or positional sense to get into crucial positions when we lose possession. Essentially though, i blame the high line and lack of pace for big chunk of our vulnerability.

IFONLY
24-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Opinons opinions. I though that the defence were the cause of almost everything that went wrong today in what was a terrible game for a 3 all. Going by the comments on the main board tonight it must have been only me and all the others around me that thought Hanlon was absolutely dire today and Towell offers us nothing whatsoever.

Agree but I would also add O`Hanlon to the list.

Captain Trips
24-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Why dont we face it, one week its the defence next week its something else, the following week its them alltogether the following week we win then repeat the process. We are pish folks.

IFONLY
24-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Why dont we face it, one week its the defence next week its something else, the following week its them alltogether the following week we win then repeat the process. We are pish folks.

Wish we did.

Aubenas
24-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Hamlin is struggling at the moment. CC clearly knows the fb problem -notable at Fir Park that he had Spoon doubling up with Towell & Ian Murray hassling Ivan to tackle back. Fb position looked better this week when Spoon at Rb & Ritchie @ Lb. Dunno why but seemed to work better

3pm
24-09-2011, 08:59 PM

I think the biggest problem is we get left very exposed down the flanks, and it leaves both full backs with two, sometimes three players to deal with, this means that a centre half normally comes over to help, leaving a massive gap in the middle to be exploited.

It looked today (IMHO) that Palsson and Osbourne were doing not a bad job of stopping United coming straight through us, but any time United got the ball out wide, we struggled.

If you were CC, how would you fix it?

I assume, that in relation to your final question, 'resign' wasn't an answer you were looking for?!

thebakerboy
24-09-2011, 09:44 PM
I have a feeling that with the players we have available ( no real full backs) we would be better playing a 3 5 2 system. Neither Booth or Towell are really full backs both are wide mid field players. Ian Murray is not the player he was but he might be able to do a good job as a sweeper behind Hanlon and O'Hanlon with his experience . With Palsson in front that would leave 6 players to attack the opposition. I feel that too often over the past few years our mangers have picked a system and tried to fit players into system but would be better looking at players available and find a system to suit them. This still seems to be happening ie. square pegs round holes.

keep the faith
24-09-2011, 09:48 PM

This

JimBHibees
24-09-2011, 10:37 PM

Yours,

Nail on head for me. They arent great defenders any of them, Towell is average and looks to me overweight, O'Hanlon is very slow but should be more commanding, Hanlon isnt strong enough though would be good with stronger defences around him and Murray is experienced but struggling physically. We should have signed another centre half in the window and are still short in defence.

To add to that the system brutally exposed the full backs with Agogo although playing ok on the ball isnt anywhere near fit. Griffiths out wide was a waste of time and I have no idea why we played a right footed player in Sproule on the left and a left footed player on the fight.

You would have thought with how poor we were defensively at Motherwell that the team would have been set up to protect the defence in a midfield 4, while leaving GOC and LG up front as a pair, to me Agogo's inclusion upset the whole set up.

marinello59
24-09-2011, 10:44 PM

You have hit the nail on the head there.

I am glad you managed to see the system CC is playing. I was struggling to work out just what it was during the first half and I am fairly sure the players were too.

Haggis Hibby
25-09-2011, 03:22 AM
I have a feeling that with the players we have available ( no real full backs) we would be better playing a 3 5 2 system. Neither Booth or Towell are really full backs both are wide mid field players. Ian Murray is not the player he was but he might be able to do a good job as a sweeper behind Hanlon and O'Hanlon with his experience . With Palsson in front that would leave 6 players to attack the opposition. I feel that too often over the past few years our mangers have picked a system and tried to fit players into system but would be better looking at players available and find a system to suit them. This still seems to be happening ie. square pegs round holes.

my thoughts exactaly.... although 5 3 2 would be my option but with both full backs pushing on,,, leaving 3 centre halfs to cope with any crosses that get in the box...

towel stevens (for his pace) hanlon ohanlon booth

palson sitting in midfield

scott and ozzy getting forward

goc and LG up front

KiddA
25-09-2011, 04:54 AM

Have to agree with you on Hanlon, he has been truly dire this season and needs to be dropped :agree: but for who? Stephens might not be much better but CC needs to do something as we are leaking goals for fun right now.

EasterRoad4Ever
25-09-2011, 07:09 AM

Spot on. Our defensive line is not the best, but the problem lies with our midfield.

matty_f
25-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Spot on. Our defensive line is not the best, but the problem lies with our midfield.

I think that's fair comment. Comparing us to Utd yesterday, their wide midfielders doubled up on our wide men - watch the highlights and see how many times Griffiths got the ball and had 2 or 3 United players to beat. Willo Flood did very well against him yesterdayby just using sheer persistence.

Beefster
25-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Whilst Hanlon remains undroppable, our defence will always struggle. A taller Hogg IMHO.

Towell is way over-rated too.

greenginger
25-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Yesterday was the first game I've seen this Season ( Work/ holidays/apathy) and I was truly shocked !

We were like a bunch of cart-horses compared to United. Beat for pace all over the pitch.

tamig
25-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Think we need a straight 4-4-2 imo with the wide guys in midfield being able to track back and protect the fbs. Towell was exposed numerous times yesterday with 2 Utd players on him. It was only down to their bad decision making/execution of passes that stopped us being punished more from that area. Don't think a 3-5-2 would suit as you need pace in the middle of the back 3 to be able to play that way and your wide men in the middle 5 need to be real runners. we need to keep our shape and everyone needs to stick to their task but I don't see this happening too much at the mo.

duffers
25-09-2011, 01:27 PM
I would like to stick pallson in at centre back. Give Hanlon a rest. And as said above, yesterday, all the problems came from down the wings. It was like we were playing a 4-2-4 at times. Pallson and osbourne done a good job in the centre, but griffiths and spoony were constantly caught out to far forward leaving the full backs exposed.
For Wednesday, I'd go with
Towell O'Hanlon Pallson Booth
Thornhill Osbourne Murray Scott
O'Connor Griffiths

That's if thornhill / Scott are fit?
A solid midfield which should give the defence plenty of cover, and O'Connor an Griffiths have the ability to score at the other end

Captain Trips
25-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Moving players about at the moment and different formations is really like rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic imo the reality is many players are not good enough along with mamager.

hibs0666
25-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Moving players about at the moment and different formations is really like rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic imo the reality is many players are not good enough along with mamager.

You forgot to have a pop at the board too.

hibs0666
25-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Yesterday was the first game I've seen this Season ( Work/ holidays/apathy) and I was truly shocked !

We were like a bunch of cart-horses compared to United. Beat for pace all over the pitch.

Two of our goals came from our players out-pacing their opponents.

Cabbage1875
25-09-2011, 05:02 PM

This analogy is absolutely brilliant. The truth is that the defenders we have are individually not good enough. It's as simple as that for me. You could even go as far as saying the midfielders we have are not good enough either. Thank god for Garry O'. :agree:

hibs0666
25-09-2011, 05:04 PM
This analogy is absolutely brilliant. The truth is that the defenders we have are individually not good enough. It's as simple as that for me. You could even go as far as saying the midfielders we have are not good enough either. Thank god for Garry O'. :agree:

Au contrainre. As a unit they are not yet good enough, but as individuals there is plenty ability.

edwards
25-09-2011, 05:06 PM
As stated all we seem to be doing is arranging the deck chairs. Still feel our best option in the centre of defence is O'Hanlon and Murray and play Hanlon at left back and leave it like that until we find someone more suitable.
Our defenders seem to slow to react and Craig Paterson on the radio has highlighted this since the start of the season so if he can see it how can CC not. :rolleyes:

hibs0666
25-09-2011, 05:09 PM
As stated all we seem to be doing is arranging the deck chairs. Still feel our best option in the centre of defence is O'Hanlon and Murray and play Hanlon at left back and leave it like that until we find someone more suitable.
Our defenders seem to slow to react and Craig Paterson on the radio has highlighted this since the start of the season so if he can see it how can CC not. :rolleyes:

Calderwood is well aware of our defensive issues.

Cabbage1875
25-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Au contrainre. As a unit they are not yet good enough, but as individuals there is plenty ability.

Ok yesterday:

Towell: This guy is murder. Positionally all over the shop. Distribution is poor. Not pacy enough. He backs off from his marker whenever they run at him giving them too much space to do whatever they please. I am amazed that some people rate him.

Hanlon: Not strong enough in the air or in physical battles. Gets bullied by pretty much every striker he plays against, even Kenny Deuchar gave him a torrid time when he was at St Johnstone. Distribution not the best. Prone to mistakes and has cost many a goal this season.

O'Hanlon: I have seen enough of this guy so far to know we have a poor player on our hands. Slow, poor in the air for a big lad, shocking distribution, poor positionally, he takes gambles and dives in on many an occasion.

Ian Murray: He is finished. It's sad to see him playing at the level he currently does. He can hardly move and when he does venture forward it's a real struggle for him to get back.

Booth: Confidence is absolutely shot, a promising player but as a defender? I'm not so sure at the moment.

Individually this is a really shoddy side. We are lucky we have some decent attacking options and the individual brilliance of Garry O'Connor or we would be in real trouble.

I am amazed that folk think the defence could be a decent unit with the personnel we currently have. For me they are not good enough.

ancient hibee
25-09-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm amazed nobody has mentioned the biggest weakness of all -yesterday's goalie- he won't organise-he lets defenders play the ball when there's no need-he only takes the slightest interest in balls passing through the 6 yard box(goal 3)-he constantly fails to clutch the ball-he parries the ball instead of holding it(goal 1)-he never makes it clear if he's coming for the ball if it's loose in the penalty area-he's nowhere near the player he was before his injury-I suspect he's lost his bottle.

hibs0666
25-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Ok yesterday:

Towell: This guy is murder. Positionally all over the shop. Distribution is poor. Not pacy enough. He backs off from his marker whenever they run at him giving them too much space to do whatever they please. I am amazed that some people rate him.

ROI management team rate him seeing as he is an U21 international.

Hanlon: Not strong enough in the air or in physical battles. Gets bullied by pretty much every striker he plays against, even Kenny Deuchar gave him a torrid time when he was at St Johnstone. Distribution not the best. Prone to mistakes and has cost many a goal this season.

Under 21 captain, 14 caps at that level. Not many 21 year olds have made almost 70 appearances for their club.

O'Hanlon: I have seen enough of this guy so far to know we have a poor player on our hands. Slow, poor in the air for a big lad, shocking distribution, poor positionally, he takes gambles and dives in on many an occasion.

Picked for League 1 team of the season in 2009.

Ian Murray: He is finished. It's sad to see him playing at the level he currently does. He can hardly move and when he does venture forward it's a real struggle for him to get back.

I didn't see United causing much problem down their right yesterday. :confused:

Booth: Confidence is absolutely shot, a promising player but as a defender? I'm not so sure at the moment.

Just like Towell and Hanlon he is inexperienced and will make mistakes for a few seasons yet.

Cabbage1875
25-09-2011, 05:40 PM
John Rankin and Michael Stewart were on the books of Manchester United. That doesn't mean they are world beaters - although if you watched the former against our bunch of also-rans yesterday you would have thought he was.

I am more interested in the present, and in my opinion, these guys are not of the standard required to get us out of this mess. I think losing the amount of goals we have lost this season so far would be testament to that.

I know that we should defend as a team but it seems if we lose the ball in the midfield area it is far too easy to brush us off and get in behind. We are powderpuff.

HibbyAndy
25-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Ok yesterday:

Individually this is a really shoddy side. We are lucky we have some decent attacking options and the individual brilliance of Garry O'Connor or we would be in real trouble.

I am amazed that folk think the defence could be a decent unit with the personnel we currently have. For me they are not good enough.

This for me, I truly am staggered the amount on here that think he is a good player.

He is murder.

IFONLY
25-09-2011, 06:43 PM
The ROI management team rate Towell so he must be good

O`Hanlon in League 1 team of the year, must have been toiling to fill the centre half position, they tell me he just pipped a one legged player,

Hanlon has made nearly 70 appearances for Hibs and 14 for his country but he is inexperienced.

Albion Hibs
25-09-2011, 07:24 PM
ROI management team rate him seeing as he is an U21 international.

Under 21 captain, 14 caps at that level. Not many 21 year olds have made almost 70 appearances for their club.

Picked for League 1 team of the season in 2009.

I didn't see United causing much problem down their right yesterday. :confused:

Just like Towell and Hanlon he is inexperienced and will make mistakes for a few seasons yet.

I would agree with that. A lot of comments on here about our defence following the game yesterday. I am going to put it down to people commenting based on the highlights package, sky sports, or just talking nonsense. All of yesterdays problems came from our defensive failings as a team in front of our back four. If people were actually watching the game it was obvious to see. I dont recall our defenders getting ripped a new one.

Capt Mainwaring
25-09-2011, 07:34 PM
The problem with the defence is the midfield!

Cabbage1875
25-09-2011, 07:47 PM
The problem with the defence is the midfield!

The midfield is not helping as much as it should, granted, but to completely admonish the individual defenders of blame is laughable for me. These guys have to defend better as individuals.

blackpoolhibs
25-09-2011, 07:52 PM
I remember last season the midfield was slaughtered for failing to protect our back four. We then have this new policy of bringing in quality over quantity. Why are we now saying the same?

JimBHibees
25-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Calderwood is well aware of our defensive issues.

Well not enough to completely expose the defence with the shape of the team that he put out yesterday.

hibs0666
25-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Well not enough to completely expose the defence with the shape of the team that he put out yesterday.

Shape was fine. Players need to do their jobs more effectively.

JimBHibees
25-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Shape was fine. Players need to do their jobs more effectively.

Not sure about that and to be honest dont think i know what shape we were playing however Agogo central with GOC and especially Griffiths wide didnt at any time protect the full backs.

hibs0666
25-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Not sure about that and to be honest dont think i know what shape we were playing however Agogo central with GOC and especially Griffiths wide didnt at any time protect the full backs.

Ian Murray wasn't exposed and United caused no problems on that side of the park. Towell was a different story and Spoony was hooked at half time as he wasn't doing the necessary. That's different from the shape not being right.

hibsbollah
25-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Ive changed my mind. Ive decided the problem with our defence is the absence of John Rankin buzzing around in front of them. He was involved in all three of yesterdays goalsİ, after all.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-09-2011, 09:28 PM
until the back four is sorted we need to set up 4-4-2 and afford the backline more protection. Makes it a more stuffy set up, bit the only other way is too make sure that we always score one more than the other team. Swanson was thriving yesterday in the acres of space that our narrow middle was providing.

Cabbage1875
25-09-2011, 09:31 PM
For example. The third goal yesterday. Towell is nowhere near close enough to his man to allow him a delivery with ease, and Hanlon is nowhere near Daly. Horrendous defending.

How often does the ball flash unopposed across the box?

Albion Hibs
25-09-2011, 09:39 PM
For example. The third goal yesterday. Towell is nowhere near close enough to his man to allow him a delivery with ease, and Hanlon is nowhere near Daly. Horrendous defending.

Dont know if I agree with your towel/Hanlon shout, but I would say how the **** is Daly getting a header in the 6 yard box, good delivery, yeah maybe but any chance of stack getting off his line to collect a cross 3 yards from his line and clean out daly at the same time.

JimBHibees
26-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Ian Murray wasn't exposed and United caused no problems on that side of the park. Towell was a different story and Spoony was hooked at half time as he wasn't doing the necessary. That's different from the shape not being right.

I think Murray was exposed a few times in the first half as their right back was bombing forward with noone on him. He wasnt as good as Swanson so didnt take advantage.

ancient hibee
26-09-2011, 10:12 AM

Shouldn't the goalie be doing something about that?

Dashing Bob S
26-09-2011, 10:14 AM
I tink we need to bring in de man wit de nails to fix it.

--------
26-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Shouldn't the goalie be doing something about that?

You mean, like coming off his line to intercept the cross?

Do we still do that at ER? :rolleyes:

I thought Stack had a poor game on Saturday.

For their first, he should have held Rankin's shot; as it was he deflected the ball right into the path of the United forward. His positioning left a lot to be desired and his reactions were slow.

I don't think he could have done too much about the second, but his insistence on punching the ball away rather than taking it into his hands was one reason why the back four were so shaky and I do hold him partly accountable for their third.

He's a good keeper IMO, but this was one of his poorer games for Hibs.

ancient hibee
26-09-2011, 10:23 AM
I think he's lost his nerve since his injury.

calumb
26-09-2011, 10:53 AM
The midfield is not helping as much as it should, granted, but to completely admonish the individual defenders of blame is laughable for me. These guys have to defend better as individuals.

Its not that the midfield is not helping as much as it should but that the midfield is not helping at all.
Yes the defenders will make errors during a match but our back 4, and at times back 2 when Towell and Booth push on up the park are being left horribly exposed so if an error is
made it usually results in a goal as there is nobody there to cover up the error.
At times on saturday o'hanlon/hanlon had no idea who to pick up as there were so many orange shirts running at them, we were supposed to have a self proclaimed holding midfielder in pallson playing but he was nowhere at the goals, Osbourne allowing runners to pass him by has cost us goals in nearly every game he has played and the same can be said for both Wotherspoon and Sproule.
Its easy to blame individual defenders for goals lost but it must be a horrible experience being a Hibs defender at the moment.

Geo_1875
26-09-2011, 11:40 AM

Totally agree. None of the defenders attack balls in the goalmouth. Hanlon stood watching the cross for their 3rd then turned round to look for someone to blame. Much rather he had gone for the ball and knocked it into the net than stand there taking no responsibility.

happiehibbie
26-09-2011, 02:06 PM
our issue is O Hanlon and Hanlon just dont work together O Hanlon is just not good enough Hanlon is work in progress

Goal keeper keeps palming the ball out after a save now happened for several games in a row we will lose more goals like there first one again

RIP
26-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Its not that the midfield is not helping as much as it should but that the midfield is not helping at all. Yes the defenders will make errors during a match but our back 4, and at times back 2 when Towell and Booth push on up the park are being left horribly exposed so if an error is made it usually results in a goal as there is nobody there to cover up the error.

At times on saturday o'hanlon/hanlon had no idea who to pick up as there were so many orange shirts running at them, we were supposed to have a self proclaimed holding midfielder in pallson playing but he was nowhere at the goals, Osbourne allowing runners to pass him by has cost us goals in nearly every game he has played and the same can be said for both Wotherspoon and Sproule.

Its easy to blame individual defenders for goals lost but it must be a horrible experience being a Hibs defender at the moment.

:top marks

Our SPL rivals attack as a team and defend as a team. Their workrate and fitness are several levels higher than us and they play the game at a faster pace. All they have to do is bypass our powder puff midfield and put the balls into the wing.

The diamond we play often sees 2 or 3 opposing players in the area between the corner flag and the 18 yard box. That area is normally only controlled by our full back as our right or left midfielder are playing the part of the invisible man.

Pallson and Osbourne look classy going forward but stroll back rather than sprint to cover. Don't get me started on the (lack) of positional awareness and tackling ability of Sproule and Spoony.

Defend as team - NOT!! :grr:

Captain Trips
26-09-2011, 04:40 PM
He has had 12mths to asses this defence and sort it, the fact we are still discussing issues in that area prove to me that CC is not up for this job, there have been problems with this area at Hibs for before CC arrived and it is still here, the time to gel argument is not a factor for me plenty of teams sign players and they work out quicker.

CC at this juncture should be tweaking here and there not looking to sort out major issues in key areas still.

calumb
26-09-2011, 07:38 PM
He has had 12mths to asses this defence and sort it, the fact we are still discussing issues in that area prove to me that CC is not up for this job, there have been problems with this area at Hibs for before CC arrived and it is still here, the time to gel argument is not a factor for me plenty of teams sign players and they work out quicker.

CC at this juncture should be tweaking here and there not looking to sort out major issues in key areas still.

Agreed but after nearly a year in the job and of nearly a year of us constantly losing soft goals he comes out in the press today about the need to stop losing soft goals - Do you think he has actually watched any hibs matches since he arrirved