PDA

View Full Version : A Goalkeeper!!

brog
24-09-2011, 04:27 PM
I posted in the close season that a reliable keeper was our number 1 priority. I received very little support for my view, what are our thoughts now?

edinburghhibee
24-09-2011, 04:38 PM
I posted in the close season that a reliable keeper was our number 1 priority. I received very little support for my view, what are our thoughts now?

Not sure I agree with you yet Brog, think there are still more issues with our cb and our full backs which I would rether be rectified before the goalkeepers and a creative midfielder.

hibsbollah
24-09-2011, 04:51 PM
I havent had the benefit of a replay but i didnt blame Stack for the goal, he had to get down low across his body, never easy to hang onto the ball in that situation.

I blame the system for putting ridiculous pressure on the full backs. Poor Richie Towell had the entire arabs midfield charging down his flanks and spoony/sproule were too central; offering no cover. Palsson was poor, Osbourne held the midfield together IMO.

MontrealHibs
24-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Stack has a problem holding the ball and prefers to punch it. I say give Brown a run, although I do think Stack is good, he looks off form.

Beefster
24-09-2011, 05:01 PM
I'd rather have a new defence first. The worst defence in the SPL last season and all we do is bring in one player.

Andy74
24-09-2011, 05:06 PM
I'd rather have a new defence first. The worst defence in the SPL last season and all we do is bring in one player.

Agreed.

R'Albin
24-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Stack has a problem holding the ball and prefers to catch it. I say give Brown a run, although I do think Stack is good, he looks off form.

Agree with the bit in bold, no idea what you mean by the first bit though:greengrin

BS44
24-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I havent had the benefit of a replay but i didnt blame Stack for the goal, he had to get down low across his body, never easy to hang onto the ball in that situation.

I blame the system for putting ridiculous pressure on the full backs. Poor Richie Towell had the entire arabs midfield charging down his flanks and spoony/sproule were too central; offering no cover. Palsson was poor, Osbourne held the midfield together IMO.

Terrible goalkeeping for the first. No pace on the shot, he gets both hands on the ball and rather than hold it he palms it out straight to Daly.

hibsbollah
24-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Terrible goalkeeping for the first. No pace on the shot, he gets both hands on the ball and rather than hold it he palms it out straight to Daly.

I'll watch it again when the highlights are up. Wouldnt be the first time it looked different away from the ground, i admit.

whiskyhibby
24-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Stack has a problem holding the ball and prefers to catch it. I say give Brown a run, although I do think Stack is good, he looks off form.

I thought Stack looked unconvincing at two of the goals today and I would give Brown a run...............

Golden Bear
24-09-2011, 05:37 PM
I thought Stack looked unconvincing at two of the goals today and I would give Brown a run...............

:agree:

Without a doubt.

Stack is a fans favourite but he was badly at fault for the first goal and generally he played as though the ball had the same texture as a bar of soap.

BS44
24-09-2011, 05:38 PM
I'll watch it again when the highlights are up. Wouldnt be the first time it looked different away from the ground, i admit.

I'm going by what I saw at the game today. Hope the highlights prove me wrong but I'm pretty certain on this one.

ancient hibee
24-09-2011, 06:58 PM
stack is not playing well-he gave away the first goal -should have held on-then at the third he was in no position to do anything.he allows the ball to travel through the 6 yard box as is it had nothing to do with him.

coco22
24-09-2011, 07:06 PM
brown should have played today without a doubt. i am a fan of stack but think he has looked a bit shaky at times this year and has conceded a few soft goals. players who show form should be picked.

TornadoHibby
24-09-2011, 07:58 PM

Agreed 100%!

erin go bragh
24-09-2011, 08:14 PM
brown should have played today without a doubt. i am a fan of stack but think he has looked a bit shaky at times this year and has conceded a few soft goals. players who show form should be picked.

Agree, but could see why stack played today, as it would have been tough on stack if he had been dropped, but brown has to start against st johnstone midweek .

GGTTH

DH1875
24-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Given our past history with keepers I got to say Stack and Brown are the best we've had for a while.

connerg
24-09-2011, 11:27 PM

:top marks Can anyone tell me why Brown was dropped? Stack used to be a good shot stopper, that was the only good part of his game. He is now a goalkeeper who is costing us points.

Bayern Bru
25-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Daly's goal was near identical to Dunfermline's equaliser - piss-easy shot to save and Stack palms it to one of their players, goal on a plate, thank you very much.

He either needs to catch it or push it well out the road.

CmoantheHibs
25-09-2011, 02:59 AM

I think Stack defo should have done better at the goal though if Spoony had tracked back with Rankins run then he may not have had to deal with it.
The second point you make is a great point.I noticed this too and Im sure it was part of their gameplan as time and again it was the same thing.I thought Towell played well under the circumstances but was crying out for some support.I felt Palsson played well for the 1st 20/25mins but just disappeared after that especially in the 2nd half.Agree about Osbourne,thought he was Hibs best player but needs help from others around him.
Overall I felt we were a bit disjointed and Utd were a much more coherent unit and we were a bit fortunate to get a point.

brog
25-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Many good comments there. FWIW I think Brown's the better shopstopper but Stack organises the defence better. Neither are particularly convincing at crossballs & I would love us to have a keeper who could dominate our penalty area. I recognise any keeper could struggle behind our defence but I think a strong keeper is the foundation for a secure defence. Remember Brian Clough's first signing was when he signed Shilton & broke the world record in so doing. I really can't remember the last time ( possibly Leighton ) I looked at our team & felt we had a top class keeper.

sixtwo
25-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Brown was impressive at fir park. He made several vital stops during normal play then saved two penalties. I think he deserves a recall for the St Johnstone game. Stack has been poor in almost every game. He no longer commands his box. His distribution is poor and his handling is a bit suspect.

MontrealHibs
25-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Agree with the bit in bold, no idea what you mean by the first bit though:greengrin

Oops.... I meant punch :-)

H18sry
25-09-2011, 06:22 PM
A bar of soap dipped in olive oil !!

Still better than Maka tho :devil:

Danny_Hibee
25-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Just watched the highlights now from the game. Does anyone else think Stack is affected by the bobble from the ball at the first goal? Definitely takes a dodgy bounce on its way to him which might have made all the difference.

Dashing Bob S
25-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Stack and Brown both have their strengths and weaknesses, and Stack made a bad error yesterday, but I'd say that both are decent goalkeepers overall, and that area, plus the strikers, are the one area of the team we don't have problems with.

Our defence is a joke and our midfield is slow, soft and uninspiring.

Dunbar Hibee
25-09-2011, 10:00 PM
I like Stacky but I think Brown should be given a run.

nortonhibby
25-09-2011, 10:02 PM
I like Stacky but I think Brown should be given a run.

Stacky is better:na na:

sesoim
25-09-2011, 10:15 PM

Totally agree.

cocopops1875
26-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Brown was impressive at fir park. He made several vital stops during normal play then saved two penalties. I think he deserves a recall for the St Johnstone game. Stack has been poor in almost every game. He no longer commands his box. His distribution is poor and his handling is a bit suspect.

He never commanded his box mate but you really lost me with his distribution comment his kicking is as good as anyone at spl level and actually better than most, 1 miss kick on Saturday watch any game brown has ever played and I would bet there is more than that on 1 half

JimBHibees
26-09-2011, 10:36 AM
I dont think we should continually chop and change goalies. Stack has had a couple of poor performances IMO however personally think he is the better of the two and a bit of faith should be shown in him at present.

Andy74
26-09-2011, 03:54 PM
I dare you to look at Makalamby part one and part three once you've pulled it up on google.And then tell me that's not a better keeper than any we have at the moment :wink:

I don't doubt he had some great moments and was able to pull off some cracking saves and collect some good crosses.

The problem is, and what videos and the stats don't quite show, is that outwith those great moments he was more liable than most to make an erse of something.

Stack is probably on no nore than 4 or 5 howlers for his whole Hibs career, Brown hasn't had many, commentators and media are suddenty leaving Hibs goalkeepers alone.

Maka just isn't consistent and reliable, that's the minimum base for any decent goalkeeper.

Hibiza
26-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Stack a great keeper and Brown not far behind.

cocopops1875
29-09-2011, 10:36 AM
He never commanded his box mate but you really lost me with his distribution comment his kicking is as good as anyone at spl level and actually better than most, 1 miss kick on Saturday watch any game brown has ever played and I would bet there is more than that on 1 half

2 miss kicks last night found touch at halfway both times not bad for poor distribution

brog
29-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Stack a great keeper and Brown not far behind.

I admire your faith but I think you're looking through rose tinted specs. I honestly believe only the 2 teams currently below us in the league have poorer keeper(s) than Hibs. I really couldn't see any of the other teams swapping their keeper for either of our 2. I also think OF & unfortunately Yams reserve keepers are better than our 2. I know it's all about opinion & I'll be delighted to be proved wrong come season end.