PDA

View Full Version : RIP Flash (Gordon Smith the Photographer)

deek1875
23-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Passed away peacefully last night another good hibby gone. A true gentleman

Betty Boop
23-09-2011, 09:55 AM

Was he Flash the photographer ?

deek1875
23-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Was he Flash the photographer ?

yes that`s him Flash Gordon.

Betty Boop
23-09-2011, 10:05 AM
yes that`s him Flash Gordon.

Sorry to hear that. He took great pictures that I treasure, from the POY night at the Hibs Club, the year Scott Brown won the award.

RIP Flash.

Mary Hinge
23-09-2011, 10:14 AM
A great friend and a true Hibby.

RIP Flash.......

H18sry
23-09-2011, 10:34 AM
A sad loss to the Hibs supporting community Gordon Smith, flash to all of us who new him sadly lost his battle with cancer this morning passing away in his sleep.

I knew flash for many many happy years and I have never ever heard a bad word said about him a true gentleman in every sense of the word, supporters club functions will be a sadder place with out him.

RIP Gordon gone but never forgotten

Jessops will now go in to receivership

Mr Pants
23-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Really sorry to hear this news. I had many laughs with flash at many Hibs events, notably the POTY Dinners at Sunnyside...

And I too have some really nice snaps courtesy of him.

Real gentleman in every sense of the word.

RIP Flash. Have you got a film in that?

berwickhibee
23-09-2011, 10:49 AM
very sad to hear this,flash graced us with his presence at the berwick and district burns supper on numerous occasions and was a delight to have there,a true hibernian gentleman. Rip flash.

Boris
23-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Very sad news indeed. A real gentleman, a hugely talented photographer & a great Hibby. Popped out to Stenhouse to see him a couple of weeks back & although he knew he was terminally ill all he wanted to do was talk about trips watching the Hibs.

First really got to know Flash when Hibs went on tour to Trinidad & Tobago a few years back. Got some great photos from that trip & many other hibby occassions since - all courtesy of Flash. Flash's hallway is covered from floor to ceiling in Hibs related photos & if you made it onto Flash's "hall of fame", whether a player or a punter, it was an honour indeed.

A couple of years after that trip I had a wee health scare & had to spend several weeks in hospital - Flash came in every day, travelling by bus from Stenhouse, to bring me all the newspapers & a bar of chocolate! Top man.

Mind you, that camera of his could be a nightmare. Remember a pre-season trip to L'Orient in France. Now Flash didn't drink but the rest of us still had a hangover from the night before which was Bastille Day if I mind correctly & after a few lunchtime scoops we all went back to the hotel for a wee snooze before the night time session. Suddenly there's banging on the doors & Flash telling us all to get downstairs quick, "it's an emergency" was the cry. Cue all the lads making it downstairs in various stages of undress thinking the hotel must be on fire but nope, there's Flash with Big Eck, Andy Watson & half the Hibs team waiting. Flash had seen them out for a walk & the "emergency" was that he'd got them all lined up to get photos taken with the lads! I think McGhee went for it but the rest of us were "politely" telling Flash where to stick his camera!

He'll be missed - R.I.P. auld yin.

Mikey
23-09-2011, 11:20 AM
I've removed a couple of posts due to a case if mistaken identity.

RIP Flash the photographer.

bawheid
23-09-2011, 11:23 AM
I've removed a couple of posts due to a case if mistaken identity.

RIP Flash the photographer.

Thanks.

RIP Flash.

1875 NO 1
23-09-2011, 11:35 AM

sad news. Flash was a top man and hibby.

RIP

GGTTH

1875 NO 1
23-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Very sad news indeed. A real gentleman, a hugely talented photographer & a great Hibby. Popped out to Stenhouse to see him a couple of weeks back & although he knew he was terminally ill all he wanted to do was talk about trips watching the Hibs.

First really got to know Flash when Hibs went on tour to Trinidad & Tobago a few years back. Got some great photos from that trip & many other hibby occassions since - all courtesy of Flash. Flash's hallway is covered from floor to ceiling in Hibs related photos & if you made it onto Flash's "hall of fame", whether a player or a punter, it was an honour indeed.

A couple of years after that trip I had a wee health scare & had to spend several weeks in hospital - Flash came in every day, travelling by bus from Stenhouse, to bring me all the newspapers & a bar of chocolate! Top man.

Mind you, that camera of his could be a nightmare. Remember a pre-season trip to L'Orient in France. Now Flash didn't drink but the rest of us still had a hangover from the night before which was Bastille Day if I mind correctly & after a few lunchtime scoops we all went back to the hotel for a wee snooze before the night time session. Suddenly there's banging on the doors & Flash telling us all to get downstairs quick, "it's an emergency" was the cry. Cue all the lads making it downstairs in various stages of undress thinking the hotel must be on fire but nope, there's Flash with Big Eck, Andy Watson & half the Hibs team waiting. Flash had seen them out for a walk & the "emergency" was that he'd got them all lined up to get photos taken with the lads! I think McGhee went for it but the rest of us were "politely" telling Flash where to stick his camera!

He'll be missed - R.I.P. auld yin.

he was some boy with the camera, and has a great collection of hibs photos.

givescotlandfreedom
23-09-2011, 11:44 AM
I met him through the Hibs club and he was a great guy and invited my wife and me to see hib Hibs photos and the hall of fame (amazing!) and then gave us more photos he printed for us. RIP

Last Minute
23-09-2011, 12:44 PM
RIP Flash, Thank you for all the photo's over the last couple of years, A true Gent and will never be forgotten.

Hope the Lads do it on Saturday for you Flash

Hibby D
23-09-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this news. I doubt there are many Hibbies who've not at some point seen Gordon with his camera at various functions over the years. Such a weel kent face. My condolences to his family and many friends. RIP

Boris I love your story :thumbsup:

invisible man
23-09-2011, 01:24 PM
A sad loss to the Hibs supporting community Gordon Smith, flash to all of us who new him sadly lost his battle with cancer this morning passing away in his sleep.

I knew flash for many many happy years and I have never ever heard a bad word said about him a true gentleman in every sense of the word, supporters club functions will be a sadder place with out him.

RIP Gordon gone but never forgotten

Jessops will now go in to receivership

You're not wrong there. I tried to get him into digital photography a few times but he was having none of it, quality of the prints are nowhere near as good he said.

A true gentleman.

RIP Flash

oconnors_strip
23-09-2011, 03:47 PM
i have informed some former players and they wish to pass on their condolences along with myself. travelled on the same supporters bus as flash for years and also have many photos he took at functions, always great pics as he was always the perfectionist!

rip flash

Jonnyboy
23-09-2011, 06:12 PM
RIP Flash

stu in nottingham
23-09-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this sad news. I never got to meet Gordon but had the pleasure of talking to him on the boards for a lot of years. He will be missed by the Hibs community as well as his family and friends.

Rest in peace Flash

Boris
23-09-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this sad news. I never got to meet Gordon but had the pleasure of talking to him on the boards for a lot of years. He will be missed by the Hibs community as well as his family and friends.

Rest in peace Flash

Think you've maybe got the wrong 'Flash' - can only assume someone else with the nickname posts on Hibs boards as to the best of my knowledge, 'Flash' was never near a computer never mind post on a Hibs fans board.

Bunter
23-09-2011, 09:32 PM
RIP Flash

Stevie 'Haddock'

TornadoHibby
24-09-2011, 07:09 AM
My father and mother used to have lunch with Flash nearly every weekday and only a couple of weeks ago Flash insisted that they go with him to his house so that he could let them see his collection of Hibs photos as he was well aware that my Dad was as big a Hibee as he was!

My Dad was amazed at some of the photos and raved about them when he was telling me later. Flash gave him a Famous Five photo for me which he'd had Eddie Turnbull sign only a couple of weeks before he died and that has pride of place in my home office!

Flash reckoned when he showed my folks his photo collection that he had a few months left but it looks like the prognosis was optimistic!

RIP Flash!

w.connectionfc
24-09-2011, 06:51 PM
found out at todays game he had passed away, very sad news indeed, first met him in T&T in 2000, and many times on pre season tours after that, great person

rest in peace flash gordon

H18sry
25-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Gordon's funeral will be held at Warriston Crematorium on Friday @10 and then back to the Hibs club to swap stories and memories, all are welcome.

Hibby D
27-09-2011, 11:20 PM
http://www.scottishfootballblog.co.uk/2011/09/cheers-flash.html

A fine tribute here from Tom Hall, a close friend of Gordon's. (Tom I don't know if you post on here but hope you don't mind)

And a few photographs of Flash's infamous hall of Hibs fame :top marks

franks
28-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Great well written tribute which all true football fans can connect with.

R.I.P. Flash