PDA

View Full Version : I think recent results show

down the slope
22-09-2011, 02:01 PM
That a larger league is a goer, there are no easy games anymore as we have seen last night and to our cost in recent cup matches. I hope that the ten team league is dead and buried and we can expand the league to at least sixteen teams, if we want to bring through the new talent then we do not need Doncasters idea of a smaller league where we can "bring in a better quality of player" as he has said on numerous occasions. Sixteen teams with two going for the relegation play off , seems to work ok in Norway which is a similar size of country to us and look where they are in the rankings.

Stevie Reid
22-09-2011, 02:03 PM
If our results don't improve dramatically over the next few months we might be praying for a bigger league for more that one reason...

Definitely up for a 16 team league anyway.

PatHead
22-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Gets my vote but there should be financial rules as well not allowing you to buy success or live outwith your means. Might only need a 14 team league then.........

ancient hibee
22-09-2011, 03:14 PM
So an immediate reduction in the number of home games plus the replacement of games against Hearts and the OF(the biggest attendances) by sayMorton Falkirk and Dundee.How is that money going to be replaced?

down the slope
22-09-2011, 03:50 PM
So an immediate reduction in the number of home games plus the replacement of games against Hearts and the OF(the biggest attendances) by sayMorton Falkirk and Dundee.How is that money going to be replaced?

Oh ancient one, how about splitting the tv money equally for a start plus if we had 10k of a crowd say against Dundee the difference between that and a Celtic game would be max 5k, there is also the chance that going to see teams just once a season might bring a freshness to games and we might get crowds returning , worth a try rather giving us even more of the say if Donkey gets his way.

ancient hibee
22-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Say 3 less home games a season 30,000 fans at £20------£600000

Say OF and Hearts reduction of 20,000 fans at £25-------£500000

There's no way we can drop that kind of money-never mind splitting the Tv money among 16clubs insteadof 12.

francobaresi
22-09-2011, 10:29 PM
I've been a keen advocate of the 20 team league since way back as far as I can remember and can't understand the barriers put up opposing such a structure. Play each other twice a year, midweek games, play offs, opens the league and makes it as entertaining as the Premiership... (Ok, maybe not as beautiful but everyone gets a fair share and brings on our beautiful game)... But who am I...:wink:

francobaresi
22-09-2011, 10:35 PM

There's no way we can drop that kind of money-never mind splitting the Tv money among 16clubs insteadof 12.

I get what you're saying but I welcome less games against these teams if we have the opportunity to win more games then the crowds will increase and balance itself out financially... Only one way to prove the fact...

Kaiser1962
23-09-2011, 07:02 AM
I get what you're saying but I welcome less games against these teams if we have the opportunity to win more games then the crowds will increase and balance itself out financially... Only one way to prove the fact...

There is not a lot of evidence that this actually happens. Crowds might increase but not in significant enough numbers to make the difference up.

But just because it's never happened does not mean to say it shouldnt be tried.

IWasThere2016
23-09-2011, 07:29 AM

Play them every week then .. that'll be exciting for a month or so

down the slope
23-09-2011, 07:48 AM

Make it an eighteen team league and there's your 600k , make the football and the league more exciting with less chance of the OF winning it then maybe we will get bigger crowds again. Playing each other more is not the answer, we must have dropped 3k ST this year , how long can we afford to that ?. Please don't forget that the OF would be out of Scottish fitba like a shot if anyone would have them or a new European league for the also rans were set up, then by your criteria we would have an eight team league or would the rest then be good enough to be asked back to the SPL ?.

down the slope
23-09-2011, 01:23 PM
I see Elvis has changed his tune if you will pardon the pun !
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/09/23/cup-results-have-shown-two-leagues-of-20-is-the-way-to-go-says-steven-pressley-and-brian-reid-86908-23439966/
Not long ago he was advocating a league of ten.

JimBHibees
23-09-2011, 01:37 PM
No doubt the money men will have real concerns in terms of what could come in if there was a bigger league only playing twice a season. The tv, sponsorship and advertising revenue would drop however the key point to me is that it would IMO be much more competitive due to teams being able potentially to put together a run of wins without then playing the OF and more than likely losing. This would make the league closer and also mean there was more chance of teams competing over a season.

Hibs Class
23-09-2011, 09:27 PM
The league cup could also once again take on the section format with group winners going through to the QFs and that would give more games.

marinello59
23-09-2011, 09:36 PM
The league cup could also once again take on the section format with group winners going through to the QFs and that would give more games.

That format ended when fans lost all interest in it and no wonder. It really was a turn off compared to one off ties decided on the night. Why would it work now?

down the slope
28-09-2011, 09:58 AM
If Whyte gets his way then they will be off to the EPL and leave a team in Scotland, unbelievable arrogance.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/8792112/Craig-Whyte-actively-seeking-to-leave-the-SPL-to-secure-Rangers-financial-future.html

Where does that leave the ten team league idea ?.

PatHead
28-09-2011, 11:49 AM
re 10 team league it's okay as he will allow their reserves to play up here. One thing I don't understand is that they won't be able to play Celtic 4 times a season though! Obviously not thought it through