PDA

View Full Version : oconnors a goner

CRAZYHIBBY
22-09-2011, 08:26 AM
gaz is apparently off to celtic in january according to an unnamed team mate.........saw an article this morning on newsnow site and heard the same thing on tuesday ........would make good buisness sense right enough, but without him then we will struggle like we did when we lost stokes to celtic......towell will no doubt be part of the deal....

Beefster
22-09-2011, 08:33 AM
gaz is apparently off to celtic in january according to an unnamed team mate.........saw an article this morning on newsnow site and heard the same thing on tuesday ........would make good buisness sense right enough, but without him then we will struggle like we did when we lost stokes to celtic......towell will no doubt be part of the deal....

The 'article' on Newsnow (the one that I've seen anyway) is a blog entry. Hardly authorative.

Either way, O'Connor was never going to be here past next summer unless he wasn't performing well. I can't see the point of selling him in January though unless there is a clause in his contract.

IFONLY
22-09-2011, 08:33 AM

I wonder how many strikers Celtic need!!!!!!

Dunbar Hibee
22-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Doubt it is true, but if so Celtic can **** right off.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-09-2011, 08:36 AM
I wonder how many strikers Celtic need!!!!!!

Success in search of, dismantle teams they do

Steve20
22-09-2011, 08:38 AM
I'll be disgusted if Hibs sell him to Celtic in January.

Keith_M
22-09-2011, 08:41 AM
What a quandry for the Hibs board, get some money for him in January or have him make a meaningful contribution to the second half of Hibs' season....

:hmmm:

Alex1875
If we loose Gazza and Griffith is away back down south, you really have to wonder.. what standard of player are we going to be able to bring in to replace these two guys, who are clearly way about our standard anyway!

.Sean.
I don't believe this story, but he would make the move to Parkhead in a heartbeat - he's still a huge Celtic fan.

lucky
22-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Only team he will play for in the east end of Glasgow is Barlinnie. No chance of him going there in Jan

hibiedude
22-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Georgios Samaras agent in the papers this morning and is not a happy chappy I think he'll be moving on January so that would free up a wage.

I said in another thread that Garry trained with Celtic before he put pen to paper for us and MY TAKE was Lennon asking Garry to prove he still had it in him to play at a decent level.

A reply informed he and Lennon share the same agent which is a fair point but I wondered if there wasn't more in it than just that.

Garry's off field problem's are still to be dealt with so we'll have to see what actions the courts take before we'll know were Garry's future lies.

ShanksSaidNo
22-09-2011, 08:52 AM
If we loose Gazza and Griffith is away back down south, you really have to wonder.. what standard of player are we going to be able to bring in to replace these two guys, who are clearly way about our standard anyway!
Lets not jump the gun here. How can Griffiths be considered way above our standard?? He scored some goals for a 1st division side in Scotland then got his move down south to a bottom end EPL team, where as yet he has made no contribution whatsoever.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it transpires that Griffiths' has in fact found his level.

northgreen24
22-09-2011, 08:54 AM
it was almost a lose lose for us, if he played rubbish we would get flack for taking a has been back and "was of a wage", but now he is playing great in our crap team we are still second bottom and he will move on as is way above our standard now !!!!

i would love him to stay but i doubt even the most blinkered hibs fan believes he will

sad to say but the sodje and agogo are really our standard :(

Garry thanks for the goals just showed us a glimps of the past.............those were the days:not worth

bawheid
22-09-2011, 08:59 AM
it was almost a lose lose for us, if he played rubbish we would get flack for taking a has been back and "was of a wage", but now he is playing great in our crap team we are still second bottom and he will move on as is way above our standard now !!!!

i would love him to stay but i doubt even the most blinkered hibs fan believes he will

Garry thanks for the goals just showed us a glimps of the past.............those were the days:not worth

Well done on managing to get up this morning.

There's no chance Hibs will sell O'Connor to Celtic in January, unless the money is ridiculous or Garry has a clause in his contract.

scoopyboy
22-09-2011, 09:11 AM

Don't slash your wrists just yet.

SlickShoes
22-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Garry is about 8 times the player Samaras is, if hes still scoring at this rate and the stuff in his personal life hasnt went completely haywire then he will 100% be away in January. Rod will take whatever he can get, at the very best oconnor will sign a pre contract with someone in Jan. We were all aware of this scenario, anyone who didnt think this would happen is living in dreamland.

northgreen24
22-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Don't slash your wrists just yet.

just being realistic, going to enjoy him for the next couple of months as with his goal ratio he will not be at hibs in january, his aim was to establish himself and move on and he is doing that so why would he wait till the summer:confused::confused:

god the website frustraites me, if you are positive you are a happy clapper, realistic means you are a pesamist and negative you are having a pop at the club

hey ho

NOLA
22-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Doubt it is true, but if so Celtic can **** right off. celtic would just be looking out for themselves mate, up to the hibs board to nail Oconnor down to a longer contract now not leave it till january,

northgreen24
22-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Garry is about 8 times the player Samaras is, if hes still scoring at this rate and the stuff in his personal life hasnt went completely haywire then he will 100% be away in January. Rod will take whatever he can get, at the very best oconnor will sign a pre contract with someone in Jan. We were all aware of this scenario, anyone who didnt think this would happen is living in dreamland.

:agree: what he said comon sense and well put

easty
22-09-2011, 09:33 AM

I like this :rolleyes:..it's pretty specific, like you've got a formula based on a number or attributes.

How many times better is O'Connor than John Sutton?

scoopyboy
22-09-2011, 09:39 AM
just being realistic, going to enjoy him for the next couple of months as with his goal ratio he will not be at hibs in january, his aim was to establish himself and move on and he is doing that so why would he wait till the summer:confused::confused:

god the website frustraites me, if you are positive you are a happy clapper, realistic means you are a pesamist and negative you are having a pop at the club

hey ho

In the last week we have won 5-2 at Murray Park against Rangers in the 19s, won a tricky away tie in the League Cup, then saw Hearts and Rangers go out the following evening and all you can focus on is a rumour about GOC leaving in January.

Can you not see where I'm coming from?

scoopyboy
22-09-2011, 09:41 AM

If his personal life hadn't went haywire we would never have got him in the first place.

bawheid
22-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Make your mind up, is he away in January or not? Did Rod take whatever he could get when Boozy was in the last six months of his contract and bids were being made?

The reason he would wait until the summer is that he is on a contract at Hibs until then. The only way he would move is if someone offers silly money (that won't be Celtic) or if there is a release clause in his contract.

Peevemor
22-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Nonsense. Nobody's going to splash big money to buy the final 4/5 months of a player's contract, and RP knows that an on-form GO'C is worth more to Hibs than the £150K or so we might get in January.

How many players has RP cashed in on in the past?

If GO'C moves, it'll either be because of off-field stuff or if there's a release clause in his contract.

Peevemor
22-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Make your mind up, is he away in January or not? Did Rod take whatever he could get when Boozy was in the last six months of his contract and bids were being made?

The reason he would wait until the summer is that he is on a contract at Hibs until then. The only way he would move is if someone offers silly money (that won't be Celtic) or if there is a release clause in his contract.Snap. :greengrin

Jack
22-09-2011, 09:45 AM
What a quandry for the Hibs board, get some money for him in January or have him make a meaningful contribution to the second half of Hibs' season....

:hmmm:

I think it would depend on how well we were doing and how many cups we were still in :doh:

bawheid
22-09-2011, 09:45 AM
Snap. :greengrin

:thumbsup:

zlatan
22-09-2011, 09:48 AM
I like this :rolleyes:..it's pretty specific, like you've got a formula based on a number or attributes.

If he's eight times better than samaras then that must make him about two times better than sutton.

bawheid
22-09-2011, 09:58 AM
If he's eight times better than samaras then that must make him about two times better than sutton.

:agree:

(2(Samaras) + Sutton) = O'Connor

This means that Sutton is four times better than Samaras.

It's basic maths FFS.

Edit - that might be wrong, but my head hurts now.

northgreen24
22-09-2011, 10:04 AM
:agree:

(2(Samaras) + Sutton) = O'Connor

This means that Sutton is four times better than Samaras.

It's basic maths FFS.

Edit - that might be wrong, but my head hurts now.

:greengrin

bawheid
22-09-2011, 10:05 AM
:greengrin

It should actually be

4(Samaras) + Sutton = O'Connor

Apologies.

DC_Hibs
22-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Shame, just as folks bedsheets had dried following a good cup midweek we get this!!

Sounds like (Paul) Tosh.

As an aside...at about 90k per league placing I wonder if Rod has any regrets on the exits last January of Zemmama and Bamba for smallish fees rather than letting them leave for nowt in the summer.

SlickShoes
22-09-2011, 10:28 AM

According to my calculations 7 times to 0 the ability of any hearts player.

SlickShoes
22-09-2011, 10:32 AM

The reason he would wait until the summer is that he is on a contract at Hibs until then. The only way he would move is if someone offers silly money (that won't be Celtic) or if there is a release clause in his contract.

By AWAY I mean that he will either move or sign a pre contract with someone. I think if anyone comes in with any sort of decent offer in January hibs will take it, picking up and inform striker then is a great asset to any club there will be someone out there that would pay. Celtc offloading Samaras would free up the money.

I am happy to enjoy his goals while he is here anyway, if anyone is going to save us from relegation this year it looks like he is the man.

scott7_0(Prague)
22-09-2011, 10:47 AM
If we loose Gazza and Griffith is away back down south, you really have to wonder.. what standard of player are we going to be able to bring in to replace these two guys

I think you have answered your own question.

Golden Bear
22-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Seems like good news week on Hibs Net has ended already.:rolleyes:

Ah well, it was good when it lasted.

lapsedhibee
22-09-2011, 11:41 AM

It should actually be

4(Samaras) + Sutton = O'Connor

Apologies.

Disagree.

Firstly, we have to distinguish between "as good as" and "better than". To illustrate, consider the difference between saying that A is half "as good as" B, and saying that A is 50% "better than" B. Completely different results follow.

The claim was not that GOC is 8 times as good as Samaras, but that GOC is 8 times better than Samaras. So GOC does not equal 8 Samarases. GOC equals 9 Samareses.

GOC = 9 Sams.

Likewise, GOC does not equal 2 Suttons, because the claim is not that GOC is twice as good as Sutton, but that he's two times better than him.

GOC = 3 Suts.

Adding these two equations, 2 GOCs = 9 Sams + 3 Suts
Or, since there's only one Gaz O'Connor, GOC = 4.5 Sams + 1.5 Suts.

All this assumes that GOC stays out of pokey. If not, then his worth to us drops to approximately one satsuma.

Franck is God
22-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Was wondering when a thread like this would start....

Garry has signed for a year and I think will stay for at least that long then head back south and if he stays in the SPL he's more likely to be at Hibs as I don't see him playing for either of the old firm sides.

His attitude has been first class since he signed and if he leaves at the end of his contract he owes us nothing.

Jones28
22-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Hibs and O'connor can both f*** right off if this happens

Hibs for showing a total lack of ambition and seemingly desire to do well and O'connor for leaving at an extremely important point in the season, exactly like he did last time.

Chances are this is bullsh*t (no offence to the OP) however :flag:

bawheid
22-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Disagree.

Firstly, we have to distinguish between "as good as" and "better than". To illustrate, consider the difference between saying that A is half "as good as" B, and saying that A is 50% "better than" B. Completely different results follow.

The claim was not that GOC is 8 times as good as Samaras, but that GOC is 8 times better than Samaras. So GOC does not equal 8 Samarases. GOC equals 9 Samareses.

GOC = 9 Sams.

Likewise, GOC does not equal 2 Suttons, because the claim is not that GOC is twice as good as Sutton, but that he's two times better than him.

GOC = 3 Suts.

All this assumes that GOC stays out of pokey. If not, then his worth to us drops to approximately one satsuma.

Do you know, when I was posting my sums, I thought of you. :greengrin

Hibby D
22-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Disagree.

GOC = 9 Sams.

GOC = 3 Suts.

This thread is worth reading for this post alone :tee hee:

SteveHFC
22-09-2011, 11:57 AM
If this is true. Celtic can **** off.

Albion Hibs
22-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I think this sort of story was bound to come out when he reached a certain level of goals in so many games. Perhaps Hibs would sell him in January, but I would think that would depend on the league position at that time i.e. if we had a chance of finishing 3rd or 4th versus the bottom end of the table, in addition to whether we were anywhere in the cups. It will come down to money so it will probably be a simple equation for the board i.e. if we keep him we may end up getting X or we can sell him for Y.

From Celtics point of view I dont think they are short on the striker front so why not wait and get him for free at the end of the year. They would also have longer to monitor his progress on and off the pitch.

Deep down I am hoping that Hibs had some sort of extension clause, especially as he was about at rock bottom when he came back to us. Would love to see him stay at Easter Road, but like all good things I guess there is a chance of them coming to an end.

Speedway
22-09-2011, 12:33 PM
If this is true. Celtic can **** off.

And if it isn't?

--------
22-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Disagree.

GOC = 9 Sams.

GOC = 3 Suts.

I'm speechless.... :devil:

Hibs7
22-09-2011, 12:36 PM
I see wolves have signed mcfadden, that makes it even tougher for sparky to get a game down there. Hope for him staying here ?

supersauzee
22-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Georgios Samaras agent in the papers this morning and is not a happy chappy I think he'll be moving on January so that would free up a wage.

I said in another thread that Garry trained with Celtic before he put pen to paper for us and MY TAKE was Lennon asking Garry to prove he still had it in him to play at a decent level.

A reply informed he and Lennon share the same agent which is a fair point but I wondered if there wasn't more in it than just that.

Garry's off field problem's are still to be dealt with so we'll have to see what actions the courts take before we'll know were Garry's future lies.

Totally agree with the above! Garry has more than proven that with his injuries out of the way he is an even better striker than he was when he was originally with us! We are very fortunate to have him but I really hope we do keep him, he is a personal friend as I was at school with him so I will try and make him stay! :greengrin But it looks like he is proving he is a top striker and nothing is fazing him, wouldnt be surprised if he was back in the scotland squad soon too, goodwillie, fletcher and miller aint scoring so no reason why not!

Well done tho GO'C :thumbsup:

Wembley67
22-09-2011, 12:50 PM
And if it isn't?

They can **** off anyway.

HibbyKeith
22-09-2011, 01:03 PM
The timing of this thread topic is proof that the league cup draw is fixed!

its a conspiracy :devil::stirrer:

Houchy
22-09-2011, 02:30 PM

I've got the magic formula but he's rounded up.He's actually 7.628 times better than Sammaras and 10.294 times better than Sutton but the Hearts fans have put forward a concern re the system as for the system to work, each player needs a value to start with but Sutton doesn't have one as he's pish and we all know that 0 x anything is still 0 so it's impossible to work out the ratio of how much better GOC is compared to JS:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
22-09-2011, 06:47 PM
I think it would depend on how well we were doing and how many cups we were still in :doh:

It didn't matter the last time we sold him. :wink:

Hibs On Tour
22-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Nonsense. Nobody's going to splash big money to buy the final 4/5 months of a player's contract, and RP knows that an on-form GO'C is worth more to Hibs than the £150K or so we might get in January.

How many players has RP cashed in on in the past?

If GO'C moves, it'll either be because of off-field stuff or if there's a release clause in his contract.

Well, one that springs to mind is... Garry O'Connor! Right before a cup semi IIRC?... :wink:

Captain Trips
22-09-2011, 07:22 PM

That is why we are p1sh, selling players as it is good business sense, there has to be some football sense, of course we have to sell players from time to time but sometimes we need to keep. Of course this all depends if story true. This is why the way our squad is built up is a shambles far to many players on short deals so if they are any good we get fa for them almost.

Peevemor
22-09-2011, 07:32 PM
That is why we are p1sh, selling players as it is good business sense, there has to be some football sense, of course we have to sell players from time to time but sometimes we need to keep. Of course this all depends if story true. This is why the way our squad is built up is a shambles far to many players on short deals so if they are any good we get fa for them almost.

Okay, so who are the good players that we've sold but could have kept (ie. offered wages that nobody else could better)?

hibsbollah
22-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Was wondering when a thread like this would start....

Garry has signed for a year and I think will stay for at least that long then head back south and if he stays in the SPL he's more likely to be at Hibs as I don't see him playing for either of the old firm sides.

His attitude has been first class since he signed and if he leaves at the end of his contract he owes us nothing.

This.

majorhibs
22-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I've got the magic formula but he's rounded up.He's actually 7.628 times better than Sammaras and 10.294 times better than Sutton but the Hearts fans have put forward a concern re the system as for the system to work, each player needs a value to start with but Sutton doesn't have one as he's pish and we all know that 0 x anything is still 0 so it's impossible to work out the ratio of how much better GOC is compared to JS:agree:

How comes the formulas have all dried up all of a sudden? Looks like I´ll have to go back to the san miguels, as it was only all this mental stimulation wi formulas that was keeping me out the pub anyway. And hopefully before long someone can tell me how much one satsuma is worth compared to Vlads estimation of the value of the Scottish press & SFA.

Kato
22-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Well, one that springs to mind is... Garry O'Connor! Right before a cup semi IIRC?... :wink:

He didn't exactly push GOC out the door.

Captain Trips
22-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Okay, so who are the good players that we've sold but could have kept (ie. offered wages that nobody else could better)?

I dont know who we could have kept as I am not in on the negotiations unless you are. I am suggesting that as we will not really get a massive fee for him this instance is a player we should be asking to complete his contract, there would be no interest from any clubs if it was not for Hibs giving him the chance. Every player we have sold whom was in a contract we could have kept technically I am not saying we were in a position to do so but technically we could have kept every player in a contract.

down-the-slope
22-09-2011, 07:44 PM
It didn't matter the last time we sold him. :wink:

:greengrin well remembered...GET HIM SOLD ROD.....League Cup here we come :devil:

Captain Trips
22-09-2011, 07:47 PM
:greengrin well remembered...GET HIM SOLD ROD.....League Cup here we come :devil:

I think it did matter, 0-4 v Hearts says different to me.

Kato
22-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Every player we have sold whom was in a contract we could have kept technically I am not saying we were in a position to do so but technically we could have kept every player in a contract.

That technicality being we would have to have matched or approached the wages being offered from elsewhere, as well as the sum they receive from their transfer.

The only player realistically we messed up on in the last decade imho was Brewster, wouldn't have taken much to better Dunfermline's offer.

Everyone else who has left took the chance to earn a far bigger wage than we could offer.

Captain Trips
22-09-2011, 07:55 PM
That technicality being we would have to have matched or approached the wages being offered from elsewhere, as well as the sum they receive from their transfer.

The only player realistically we messed up on in the last decade imho was Brewster, wouldn't have taken much to better Dunfermline's offer.

Everyone else who has left took the chance to earn a far bigger wage than we could offer.

No we dont have to match anything, I am saying that technically we could keep every player in a contract until it runs out, we dont as we need money so allow negotiations and that is fine.

I am not saying that we should keep every player of course not but there are times to make efforts to keep, did we knock back Scott Brown and Steven Fletchers wishes to leave in a January window? Lets make sure we have our best players as long as we can, ffs its a one year deal can we not even manage to keep somebody for that?

The Falcon
22-09-2011, 08:00 PM

We sell players because they dont want to be here. Their heads are turned by riches elsewhere and cant get away quick enough.

Captain Trips
22-09-2011, 08:03 PM
We sell players because they dont want to be here. Their heads are turned by riches elsewhere and cant get away quick enough.

I am not saying this isnt case all I am saying is we have sold our best players or they have left and we are p1sh, not saying we could have kept them just stating a point that I think is true.

The Falcon
22-09-2011, 08:06 PM
No we dont have to match anything, I am saying that technically we could keep every player in a contract until it runs out, we dont as we need money so allow negotiations and that is fine.

Technically that is correct but how long would you have allowed the Katie Thomson situation to drag on?

HFC 0-7
22-09-2011, 08:07 PM

Not really true is it, Petrie knows that there is a difference between our incomings and outgoings, that needs to be filled. Whether they wanted to stay or go, Petrie had to sell to balance the books. We have done so for quite some time and we will do it again, probably for ever. Hibs have to balance the books so they will sell the hottest talents, hopefully in the future we wont sell them all as soon as they hit form like we have in the past and instead hang on to some of them for a season or two longer.

Kato
22-09-2011, 08:08 PM

I am not saying that we should keep every player of course not but there are times to make efforts to keep, did we knock back Scott Brown and Steven Fletchers wishes to leave in a January window? Lets make sure we have our best players as long as we can, ffs its a one year deal can we not even manage to keep somebody for that?

I see what you are saying re - O'Connor's position this time around.

He should stay to the end of his contract in this instance and the money would be next to not worth it compared to what he could offer.

Captain Trips
22-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Technically that is correct but how long would you have allowed the Katie Thomson situation to drag on?

I would have sold him like we did, I am not arguing about or against some of the sales I was asked whom we could have kept and if we choose to it is every player in our history whom had a contract. Again we are discussing a player on a 1 year deal if we cant even get that out of a player we really are in a mess.

The Falcon
22-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Not really true is it, Petrie knows that there is a difference between our incomings and outgoings, that needs to be filled. Whether they wanted to stay or go, Petrie had to sell to balance the books. We have done so for quite some time and we will do it again, probably for ever. Hibs have to balance the books so they will sell the hottest talents, hopefully in the future we wont sell them all as soon as they hit form like we have in the past and instead hang on to some of them for a season or two longer.

Who wanted to stay?

Agree with the rest that we need to sell to balance the books and would like to see guys like Fletcher or Brown stay a bit longer, you could even argue that they did, but dont see how we can realistically compete in the finance department.

The Falcon
22-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I would have sold him like we did, I am not arguing about or against some of the sales I was asked whom we could have kept and if we choose to it is every player in our history whom had a contract. Again we are discussing a player on a 1 year deal if we cant even get that out of a player we really are in a mess.

You are right but it's loaded against clubs like us. Player plays well then the wages on offer elsewhere eclipse ours. Even the OF are being outbid by Championship sides so what chance the rest of us.

HFC 0-7
22-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Who wanted to stay?

Agree with the rest that we need to sell to balance the books and would like to see guys like Fletcher or Brown stay a bit longer, you could even argue that they did, but dont see how we can realistically compete in the finance department.

Never said any of them wanted to stay! I was saying that your comment of saying that they were sold because they wanted to leave wasnt true, it may have been a factor but I would say balancing the books was probably the biggest reason. I am not saying we could compete with other clubs either. i am just saying that players wanting to leave isnt the only reason why we sell players.

WhileTheChief..
22-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't buy this Celtic thing at all. I think GOC is loving it back here and if anything is much more likely to extend his contract at Hibs. He's made his money already and I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed with us for a good few years. He seems to be settled back here and has a great opportunity to establish himself in the Scotland setup too.

A 12 month contract was right at the time for both parties and I'm sure that come Jan we will open negotiations to keep him here. :thumbsup:

The Falcon
22-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Never said any of them wanted to stay! I was saying that your comment of saying that they were sold because they wanted to leave wasnt true, it may have been a factor but I would say balancing the books was probably the biggest reason. I am not saying we could compete with other clubs either. i am just saying that players wanting to leave isnt the only reason why we sell players.

Then who did we sell that didnt want to leave?

scoopyboy
22-09-2011, 09:01 PM
I don't buy this Celtic thing at all. I think GOC is loving it back here and if anything is much more likely to extend his contract at Hibs. He's made his money already and I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed with us for a good few years. He seems to be settled back here and has a great opportunity to establish himself in the Scotland setup too.

A 12 month contract was right at the time for both parties and I'm sure that come Jan we will open negotiations to keep him here. :thumbsup:

I'm not so sure.

silverhibee
22-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm not so sure.

Neither am i.

MrSmith
22-09-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm not so sure.

spill it scoopy!

WhileTheChief..
22-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Well I suppose he does have expensive taste in cars and habits so maybe doesn't have so much money left :wink:

Still, i reckon he will stay put and I'm no having this Celtic nonsense. They had their chance to sign him and blew it big time by sticking with Samaras.

The Harp
22-09-2011, 09:52 PM

Good on you mate, a bit of positivity for a change. Too many on here all too ready to tell us Garry, or whoever, is definitely off. They are only opinions but some are posted as 'fact'. As far as I'm concerned only Garry will know what he's going to do. Let's just wait and see - and enjoy the goals he's bagging as we do so. :not worth

Hibs On Tour
23-09-2011, 12:10 AM
He didn't exactly push GOC out the door.

Not suggesting he did. Neither however did he use his much-vaunted bargaining powers to keep GOC to the end of the season with him perhaps signing a pre-contract instead of heading straight off to Rushkia...

Septimus
23-09-2011, 03:48 AM
If, and it is a big IF, Celic and the like are sniffing round O'Connor then it is proof positive that he is doing well. Long may it last.

Lucius Apuleius
23-09-2011, 04:55 AM
I am intrigued by the Celtc can **** off argument. How de we bring this to actuality?

Kaiser1962
23-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Not suggesting he did. Neither however did he use his much-vaunted bargaining powers to keep GOC to the end of the season with him perhaps signing a pre-contract instead of heading straight off to Rushkia...

It was Mowbray who had the final say on GOC leaving when he did. Mowbray at the time described the move as both "exceptional" and "life changing". GOC and his agent Gary MacKay both publicly thanked Hibs for allowing the move to take place.

AlbertK86
23-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Personally i don't think he will sign for celtic. Too many strikers there so he would end up only playing now and again. Gaz needs to play every week to keep his fitness. When he is fit he is a real danger to other teams at SPL level

Kato
23-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Neither however did he use his much-vaunted bargaining powers to keep GOC to the end of the season with him perhaps signing a pre-contract instead of heading straight off to Rushkia...

How do you know he never tried to keep him and what makes you think the Russian team were willing to wait around?

An offer was made and GOC accepted, bottom line.

oregonhibby
23-09-2011, 07:15 AM
The deal was life changing and lucrative for the club. It was a braver and more rewarding move than his striking partner made along the M8. I recall Sproule was also mentioned in the same move to Russia but he decided it would not be the right time.

In the end it is down to the player. The club capitalised on a good bit of business and made a return that would have been much smaller had he moved to any of the old firm teams. Playing abroad helped O'Connor break in to the EPL, something continuing to play in Scotland would ave made difficult.

If he can get his pal god to help him sort out his personal issues he could get a career back on the tracks and set himself up for life. Otherwise lesser mortals will send him down for a time just when he should be at his peak.

Dashing Bob S
23-09-2011, 08:12 AM
I'd be dubious about the Celtic thing for the following reasons:

1. It's lazy - any player who strings two passes will be linked with one or both of the OF
2. Celtic have plenty strikers.
3. One is Stokes from Hibs. Do they want another potentially troublesome Hibernian rascal at their club?

Reasons why it could happen:

1. They might be able to double his wages from 5 bob to ten bob.
2. Gaz's sinuses might have taken a bit of a battering over the years so he wouldn't be able to smell the weedgies so bad.

Mikeystewart
23-09-2011, 08:26 AM
O'Connor will have freedom of contract in January so he can sign for whoever he wants for no money, but have to face playing with Hibs for another 6 months

ancient hibee
23-09-2011, 08:55 AM
I see in today's paper that Allan of D.U.has put in a huge wage demand or he's off-he's played 3 games for them!

Niffy
23-09-2011, 09:06 AM
You can bet your house that Celtic will do a bit of PR in the press etc about O'Connor, right before the cup game.
that's the way these underhand sneaky weedgies do it.

Big Frank
23-09-2011, 09:22 AM
You can bet your house that Celtic will do a bit of PR in the press etc about O'Connor, right before the cup game.
that's the way these underhand sneaky weedgies do it.

Correct. Load of nonsense regarding the soapys. He settling in nicely at the cabbage and is enjoying his football again, and starting to score for fun. Few good performances and wouldn't you know it, one of the provincial clubs from the west are interested, hey, wait a minute, we have them in the next round of the cup, you dont think?, nah.....

Sometimes its like us Hibbys WANT their players to leave, so that we can have something to bleat about the club. :rolleyes:

silverhibee
23-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I see in today's paper that Allan of D.U.has put in a huge wage demand or he's off-he's played 3 games for them!

Seen that, the young lad is demanding £1600p/w which would make him the third highest player at the Arabs, with Flood being there top earner on £2000p/w, Scott Allan must have other clubs sniffing about him, either that or his agent thinks he is worth that money, cant see D. Utd paying that money for a youngster.

CapitalHibs
23-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Correct. Load of nonsense regarding the soapys. He settling in nicely at the cabbage and is enjoying his football again, and starting to score for fun. Few good performances and wouldn't you know it, one of the provincial clubs from the west are interested, hey, wait a minute, we have them in the next round of the cup, you dont think?, nah.....

Sometimes its like us Hibbys WANT their players to leave, so that we can have something to bleat about the club. :rolleyes:

:agree:Why is this thread still running?

JimBHibees
23-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Seen that, the young lad is demanding £1600p/w which would make him the third highest player at the Arabs, with Flood being there top earner on £2000p/w, Scott Allan must have other clubs sniffing about him, either that or his agent thinks he is worth that money, cant see D. Utd paying that money for a youngster.

Chick Dung was reporting a few weeks back both OF teams wee rumoured to be in for him. How depressing.

bawheid
23-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Chick Dung was reporting a few weeks back both OF teams wee rumoured to be in for him. How depressing.

:agree: There's a lot of what's wrong with Scottish football in this story.

Greedy young player no doubt being egged on by greedy agent. Thinking about the money now rather than seeing the bigger picture. Celtic and Rangers looking to snap up any of their rivals' talent on the cheap, no doubt to put them in their reserves / U-19s.

If the boy was being advised properly he would stay at Tannadice until he actually became a footballer, and then move to England.

Kaiser1962
23-09-2011, 02:24 PM

And Scott Allan just happens to be someone Celtic "admire". Expect the statements soon as he is in the last year of his contract.

ballengeich
23-09-2011, 02:24 PM
If the boy was being advised properly he would stay at Tannadice until he actually became a footballer, and then move to England.

Agreed. Interestingly, when Greg Wylde recently signed a lengthy new contract with Rangers he said that one of the considerations was that his pal Danny Wilson isn't getting game time with Liverpool. Allan would likely have a better long-term career if he has a few seasons at Tannadice.

silverhibee
23-09-2011, 02:36 PM

Also heard Man Utd keeping tabs on him. The lad must have something if they clubs are looking at him.

JimBHibees
23-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Also heard Man Utd keeping tabs on him. The lad must have something if they clubs are looking at him.

Saw a clip of him scoring or setting up a goal for Utd in a game earlier in the season on a highlights programme and he looked very skilful. What kind of advice is he getting? First of all get a decent contract at Utd, then be a first team regular for a season or two then move.

No doubt what will happen is he will sign for a bigger club, go on loan for a spell and disappear without trace. As long as the agent gets his percentage that is the main thing. :confused:

Hibernia Na Eir
23-09-2011, 03:16 PM
this is a nonsense story (again).

snooky
23-09-2011, 06:08 PM
It was Mowbray who had the final say on GOC leaving when he did. Mowbray at the time described the move as both "exceptional" and "life changing". GOC and his agent Gary MacKay both publicly thanked Hibs for allowing the move to take place.

Is it any wonder I'm always singing Mogga's praises?
:clown: ........... :grr:

Kaiser1962
23-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Is it any wonder I'm always singing Mogga's praises?
:clown: ........... :grr:

Could you enlighten us at to who the clown is?

brydekirk
23-09-2011, 07:58 PM
can u remember exactly, what did brewster do 4 hibs, or tell me how many goals he scored ? :confused:

snooky
23-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Could you enlighten us at to who the clown is?

Depends on your point of view I suppose. :greengrin

nortonhibby
23-09-2011, 10:16 PM
GO

No Chance:flag:

HFC 0-7
24-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Then who did we sell that didnt want to leave?

Read my posts again. You said The reason we sell those players is because they want to leave. I am saying thats not strictly true because we have had to sell players to balance the books so if all those players wanted to stay we would have had to sell some of them. I am not saying any of them wanted to stay I am just saying you are wrong saying the reason we sold them is because they wanted to leave, thats only part of it.

The Falcon
24-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Read my posts again. You said The reason we sell those players is because they want to leave. I am saying thats not strictly true because we have had to sell players to balance the books so if all those players wanted to stay we would have had to sell some of them. I am not saying any of them wanted to stay I am just saying you are wrong saying the reason we sold them is because they wanted to leave, thats only part of it.

That argument suggests the fact we had to sell them then negates the argument that if we spend more on wages for better players then that money will be recouped by the increase in gate money? When we had the players we couldn't even afford the wages they were on, or we would not have had to sell them?

Irrespective whether they wanted to leave or not.

BEEJ
24-09-2011, 07:56 AM
O'Connor will have freedom of contract in January so he can sign for whoever he wants for no money, but have to face playing with Hibs for another 6 months
That would be such an ordeal for him. :rolleyes:

:agree: There's a lot of what's wrong with Scottish football in this story.

Greedy young player no doubt being egged on by greedy agent. Thinking about the money now rather than seeing the bigger picture. Celtic and Rangers looking to snap up any of their rivals' talent on the cheap, no doubt to put them in their reserves / U-19s.

Indeed. :agree:

An excellent summary of why the game in this country is going steadily down the pan.

matty_f
24-09-2011, 08:38 AM
That would be such an ordeal for him. :rolleyes:

Indeed. :agree:

An excellent summary of why the game in this country is going steadily down the pan.

Worryingly, Bawheid's assertion that the player's best bet would be to stay at United to earn a move to England probably reflects just as badly on Scottish football. Wouldn't it be great if we could get to the point where Scottish players could excel in Scotland!? Of course, Bawheid's totally correct with what he said - and as much as it saddens me to say it, Scottish football's best chance of survival and growth is to understand it's role as a feeder for bigger leagues.

Hibs On Tour
25-09-2011, 05:52 PM

Wouldn't have been any less "exceptional" or "life changing" if he'd went in the summer. Read between the lines FFS - those are the words of someone trying to paint a good reason for something bad for *his* team/squad happening. Of course GOC and GM are gonna say thanks - they both made serious poppy out of the deal.

Point I'm making is that *before* TM had his 'final say', Petrie would have had to have had his 'final say' and if RP had said 'not until the summer' or 'pre-contract only just now' TM wouldn't have had a decision to make, neither would GOC. People seem to forget that until and unless the chairman accepts the offer on the table, there are no other decisions to be made - in effect the chairman has the *only* 'final' decision as the others cannot happen unless he's already OK'd it.

Tell you what would *really* have been "exceptional" and "life changing"... us hanging onto GOC until that summer, him remaining part of our team and perhaps just perhaps us having had a better chance of winning that semi and maybe just maybe winning THAT cup. Would *YOU* trade that for £1m in the bank of the club? I know I would...

sixtwo
25-09-2011, 06:03 PM
we should give him a five year deal as the highest paid player at the club. He is passionate about the club. He is one of the best strikers in the country. Get the boy signed now

hibsbollah
25-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Wouldn't have been any less "exceptional" or "life changing" if he'd went in the summer. Read between the lines FFS - those are the words of someone trying to paint a good reason for something bad for *his* team/squad happening. Of course GOC and GM are gonna say thanks - they both made serious poppy out of the deal.

Point I'm making is that *before* TM had his 'final say', Petrie would have had to have had his 'final say' and if RP had said 'not until the summer' or 'pre-contract only just now' TM wouldn't have had a decision to make, neither would GOC. People seem to forget that until and unless the chairman accepts the offer on the table, there are no other decisions to be made - in effect the chairman has the *only* 'final' decision as the others cannot happen unless he's already OK'd it.

Tell you what would *really* have been "exceptional" and "life changing"... us hanging onto GOC until that summer, him remaining part of our team and perhaps just perhaps us having had a better chance of winning that semi and maybe just maybe winning THAT cup. Would *YOU* trade that for £1m in the bank of the club? I know I would...

I thought only characters in Irvine Welsh novels call money 'poppy' :greengrin
Agree with your point btw.

HibbyAndy
25-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I absolutely love GOC ( Have had him as my Avatar for about 7 years now :agree:).

Went absolutely radge in midweek when he bagged the leveler to make it 2-2 against Motherwell so much so my burd said to me 'Get real Andy its only a 'friggin' game' ( Friggin being her word).. I told her to bolt!!.

Hibernian without GOC is unthinkable in this current predicament IMO..Bottom 2 for sure..I have absolute no doubt he will be gawn by the summer, That i have no doubt whatsoever!..Lets enjoy him whilst he is here, We may even get THAT cup with GOC in oor team.

He wont be here beyond the summer.IMO.

Hamish
26-09-2011, 05:50 AM
we should give him a five year deal as the highest paid player at the club. He is passionate about the club. He is one of the best strikers in the country. Get the boy signed now

Is that you Martin?:greengrin.

.Sean.
26-09-2011, 06:24 AM
I've been told by a mate of mine who is in the loop that O'Connor has no intention of being a Hibs player beyond this season.

PaulSmith
26-09-2011, 06:26 AM
I've been told by a mate of mine who is in the loop that O'Connor has no intention of being a Hibs player beyond this season.

A £3m EPL player who is used to earning £25/30k a week will not stay around on £3k a week. He's here to get his lief/career back on track and Hibs get the benefit for 12 months. Seems fairly straightforward.

Dr Jimmy
26-09-2011, 06:31 AM
A £3m EPL player who is used to earning £25/30k a week will not stay around on £3k a week. He's here to get his lief/career back on track and Hibs get the benefit for 12 months. Seems fairly straightforward. Total agree, and let's just enjoy and appreciate him while he is here. No matter how long/short this spell may be.

Kaiser1962
26-09-2011, 07:08 AM

Point I'm making is that *before* TM had his 'final say', Petrie would have had to have had his 'final say' and if RP had said 'not until the summer' or 'pre-contract only just now' TM wouldn't have had a decision to make, neither would GOC. .

Only pointed out what was said by all parties at the time and since. They may all be lying but I see no reason why they would.

Dav1986
26-09-2011, 03:35 PM

Did we not sell him to lokomotiv at that time because of the Russian transfer window closing at the end of march so it would have been then or at the end of their season and not during the summer.

Pretty sure that's what I recall happening at the time...

matty_f
26-09-2011, 05:14 PM
A £3m EPL player who is used to earning £25/30k a week will not stay around on £3k a week. He's here to get his lief/career back on track and Hibs get the benefit for 12 months. Seems fairly straightforward.

:agree: Would be great if he stayed, but unless nobody else will touch him we'll not have a hope in hell of keeping him.

If he carries on his current form he'll get a good move, and buying clubs won't give a toss about any off-field stuff that will be more or less forgotten about come the summer.

We should just enjoy him while he's here.

18/03/07
27-09-2011, 11:33 AM
China?

Coco Bryce
27-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Why on earth would Garry want to stay and play his football here with that bunch of imposters :confused:

HibsMax
27-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Why on earth would Garry want to stay and play his football here with that bunch of imposters :confused:

To show some support for a team willing to take a chance on him and put him back in the spotlight?

tamig
27-09-2011, 06:16 PM

And that is exactly the deal - although you have overstated the money he's getting paid. :agree: No cash for Hibs out of this - but we get the benefit of a Premiership quality striker for a season and for buttons.

Prawn Sandwich
28-09-2011, 12:16 PM
O'Connor pleads 'not guilty' to cocaine charge. Trial to be held in February 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-15089082

NOLA
28-09-2011, 01:12 PM
should be an interesting trial.

HibeeMG
28-09-2011, 01:17 PM
O'Connor pleads 'not guilty' to cocaine charge. Trial to be held in February 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-15089082

'Sheriff Isabella McColl set an intermediate diet for January.'

I would've thought that was a job for the club nutritionalist! :wink:

bighairyfaeleith
28-09-2011, 01:20 PM
'Sheriff Isabella McColl set an intermediate diet for January.'

I would've thought that was a job for the club nutritionalist! :wink:

you found your coat yet?

The_Famous_HFC
28-09-2011, 02:44 PM
you found your coat yet? If he has pled not guilty then I can't see him being charged with anything. He either had it on him or he didn't...? Its his insurance fraud case he should be concerned about.