PDA

View Full Version : Garry O'Connor

H18sry
21-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Even with all the off field problems hanging over his head, I think it is time the board sat down with Garry and his agent and tried to get him signed up on a longer term contract. Even if it is only to give us a fee when he does move on. :agree:

matty_f
21-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Even with all the off field problems hanging over his head, I think it is time the board sat down with Garry and his agent sat down and tried to get him signed up on a longer term contract. Even if it is only to give us a fee when he does move on. :agree: Completely agree.

YehButNoBut
21-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Why not show some ambition, pay him a decent salary and sign him up for 5 years.

Go on Rod, you know it makes sense.

Depending if he stays out of Saughton that is. :wink:

essexhibee
21-09-2011, 07:52 PM
As I said lastnight .... THAT is how you make a statement garry. Let's hope he's turning it around im behind him all the way. Hes actions were wrong but he could be a lot worse (see Craig Thomson).

"The past can hurt, you can either run from it or learn from it."

DH1875
21-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Would love him to stay but can't see it. Can you imagine where we would be if it wasn't for him this season :ill:.

Reaper
21-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Good to see the big man show his class.

Sadly I do think he is one who may look back and wonderjust how good he could have been had he had his head screwed on :confused:

3pm
21-09-2011, 08:10 PM
He said it all with the message on his T-shirt at East End Park ; 'Only Rod can judge me'.

DC_Hibs
21-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Sadly I do think he is one who may look back and wonderjust how good he could have been had he had his head screwed on :confused:

Earning a fortune in Russia and in the EPL/Championship suggests to me that he has done very well for himself.

At still only 28, a decent full season with Hibs should see him back at a higher level next season and again earning serious wedge.

Good on the cant!

The Falcon
21-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Sadly this was always likely to be a parasitical relationship. GOC was given a platform to show he could still do the business and Hibs got a player on a fraction of the wage he has recently commanded. If he keeps doing what he's doing he moves out of our price range each game. Lets just enjoy watching him in a hibs shirt again for however long it lasts.

H18sry
21-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Sadly this was always likely to be a parasitical relationship. GOC was given a platform to show he could still do the business and Hibs got a player on a fraction of the wage he has recently commanded. If he keeps doing what he's doing he moves out of our price range each game. Lets just enjoy watching him in a hibs shirt again for however long it lasts.

We can still give him a longer deal with a release clause in it :greengrin

allezsauzee
21-09-2011, 08:47 PM
I would love for us to show a bit of ambition and try and get him to stay. Even if we made the squad a couple of players smaller and shift the wages to him he'd be worth every penny

Sir David Gray
21-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I think we really have to wait and see what the outcome is of the charges that he faces. If it was to go against him, that decision could be taken out of our hands.

H18sry
21-09-2011, 09:02 PM
I think we really have to wait and see what the outcome is of the charges that he faces. If it was to go against him, that decision could be taken out of our hands.

It is worth the gamble to take that chance,even if it was to go pear shape it would still will be in our best interest. :agree:

hibsbollah
21-09-2011, 09:13 PM
When is the court case?

Winston Ingram
21-09-2011, 09:24 PM
He'd be mental to sign a longer deal with us now. Fair enough if we were a good side but we're not.

Kaiser1962
21-09-2011, 09:28 PM
He'd be mental to sign a longer deal with us now. Fair enough if we were a good side but we're not.

If he continues in his current form and is top scorer in Scotland come January the starting point will be about £20k a week as long as he's a free agent.

Tonez
21-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Gary was Celtic bound and it was almost a done deal until the s**** hit the fan. I think come end of season if he continues to turn around his career he'll be offski. I also think if there's the slightest chance that Rod could get any cash for him come Jan transfer window he might just take it. Personally i'd love him to stay and help build a better team. :agree:

dp00
21-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Or he could have made his money... Enjoy being back home and think that he would rather stay with us

I reckon he will be here for a few years

LeithBoozy
21-09-2011, 11:38 PM
That is a good shout, happy back home playing with the Hibs. I would have loved to have seen Garry O teamed-up with Stokes, two natural born goalscorers. I think they could have caused some damage in this league. :greengrin

brydekirk
21-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Sadly this was always likely to be a parasitical relationship. GOC was given a platform to show he could still do the business and Hibs got a player on a fraction of the wage he has recently commanded. If he keeps doing what he's doing he moves out of our price range each game. Lets just enjoy watching him in a hibs shirt again for however long it lasts. ma be he had no where else to go, who else would take a chance on him, knowing his situation. He is one of our own.

Hibtastic
21-09-2011, 11:46 PM
That is a good shout, happy back home playing with the Hibs. I would have loved to have seen Garry O teamed-up with Stokes, two natural born goalscorers. I think they could have caused some damage in this league. :greengrin

And Yogi said he wouldn't have signed him and we had made a mistake. Clown!

Septimus
22-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Just be pleased that he is with us right now.

hibiedude
22-09-2011, 06:14 AM
I might have this wrong but Garry trained with Celtic before signing 1 year deal with us so its not hard to quess that Lennon told Garry to prove he still had in in him to play at a decent level before making him an offer.

But Garry's off field troubles might have ruined his chances of going up the M8.

I hope something can be done making sure he stays at Hibs- but January will tell us one way or the other.

Prawn Sandwich
22-09-2011, 06:24 AM
I might have this wrong but Garry trained with Celtic before signing 1 year deal with us so its not hard to quess that Lennon told Garry to prove he still had in in him to play at a decent level before making him an offer.

But Garry's off field troubles might have ruined his chances of going up the M8.

I hope something can be done making sure he stays at Hibs- but January will tell us one way or the other.

Lennon and O'Connor share the same Agent, so may be read no more than that. However, I agree that I don't see any better options than Hibs as a result of all the negativity in the media.

Hakim Sar
22-09-2011, 07:07 AM
Folk called Yogi ken what's going oan

CallumLaidlaw
22-09-2011, 07:19 AM
I seem to remember Garry commenting when he signed, something along the lines of "if I do well this year, hibs won't be able to afford me". Signals a shop-window season deal. I don't mind that. He's on course for 20+ goals this year which is not to be sniffed at.

silverhibee
22-09-2011, 09:44 AM
When is the court case?

Next week sometime.

H18sry
22-09-2011, 09:47 AM
I seem to remember Garry commenting when he signed, something along the lines of "if I do well this year, hibs won't be able to afford me". Signals a shop-window season deal. I don't mind that. He's on course for 20+ goals this year which is not to be sniffed at.:cool2:

bawheid
22-09-2011, 09:47 AM
He's on course for 20+ goals this year which is not to be sniffed at.

:greengrin Nice one.