PDA

View Full Version : Inter sack Gasperini after five games (merged)

'Mon the Hibs
21-09-2011, 11:58 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15004394.stm

euro Hibby
21-09-2011, 12:31 PM
3 months and only 4 games into his tenure, Inter Milan have sacked their manager after 4 defeats in a row. To be fair 3 of the defeats were against good teams and the other against a newally promoted side. Fair to say the difference between success and failure can be slight especially if you consider that Alex Ferguson was close to the sack in his early days at man utd !

easty
21-09-2011, 12:33 PM
I didnt realise they'd started the season badly but did see the score from yesterday. I didn't even recognise the name of the team that had beaten them!

euro Hibby
21-09-2011, 12:40 PM
They sold Samuel Eto to a Russian team and replaced him with Diego Forlan. I think they have won the last 3 championships so the team has obviously peaked and need a year of transition to get the balance and motivation back. I have watched them in spells and they have been pretty average but its so early in the season to judge. The owner claims he has lost the dressing room and hence the need for a quick change. The olast man in the hot seat lasted a season.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Ive kept a close eye on Inter since the Matthaus days, the couple of games ive watched this season they do look a shadow of their former selves, good shout by the boss methinks!

frazeHFC
21-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Wow not like Inter to do so bad!

RyeSloan
21-09-2011, 05:08 PM
A dangerous policy regarding chopping and changing don't you think?.. I would have thought Inter could have done with some stability on the managerial front.They'll never win anything with that kind of attitude!

Inter have won absolutely loads recently...granted mostly under 'stable' managers in Mancini and Mourinho but none the less if it ain't working then you better change it!

Ive kept a close eye on Inter since the Matthaus days, the couple of games ive watched this season they do look a shadow of their former selves, good shout by the boss methinks!

They have been horrible this season...I'm not surprised he got his jotters, 5 games or not that's all it took to work out that he didn't have the players on his side or the ability to get them to play the way he wanted. Ripped apart at the back in every game they have played so far and humbled by a newly promoted side....for a team that has almost owned the title recently that was never going to go down well!!

Gettin' Auld
21-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Do you REALLY want a board like that?

Tricla
21-09-2011, 05:16 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15004394.stm

Sacking someone after 5 games is just a joke and I wouldn't want a boeard like that at all.

The Tubs
21-09-2011, 05:21 PM
I do agree that 5 games is a bit extreme, but if they know that it's not going to work then I understand it.

In my opinion, and in the long term, the manager is just like a member of the playing staff: if a better option becomes available, then bring him in - just as you would if we're looking at a left back.

Future17
21-09-2011, 06:44 PM
They sold Samuel Eto to a Russian team and replaced him with Diego Forlan. I think they have won the last 3 championships so the team has obviously peaked and need a year of transition to get the balance and motivation back. I have watched them in spells and they have been pretty average but its so early in the season to judge. The owner claims he has lost the dressing room and hence the need for a quick change. The olast man in the hot seat lasted a season.

The mighty AC Milan won the Scudetto last year, but granted, Inter did technically* win it during the previous five seasons.

To be fair, when we talk about the Inter "board", we're basically talking about Massimo Moratti. Moratti owns the club (it was previously owned by his father during the time of their most successful period under the management of Helenio Herrera). He took over mid-90s and promised to restore them to their former glory after some wilderness years where Milan had basically surged ahead under Berlusconi.

Fair enough, it took longer than he might have wanted but they have achieved quite a lot in recent years. He's spent an absolute fortune on transfers (in the pre-Abramovich/Sheikh Mansour era) and has backed recent managers fairly consistently. Mancini technically* won 3 Scudettos as manager but never delivered European success despite being reasonably well-backed financially. After several European failures, Moratti sacked Mancini and brought in Mourinho who had a proven European record at the highest level, including a Champions League win. Under Mourinho, Inter won the treble of Scudetto, Coppa Italia and Champions League, which no other Italian team has ever achieved.

After Mourinho left, Benitez was considered a strange appointment by many, however, he does have a very impressive record in Europe. It didn't work out and Leonardo was appointed as more of a stop-gap than anything else (perhaps in a desperate attempt to annoy Milan fans).

I thought the appointment of Gasperini was bizarre and I'm not surprised he's gone so early. However, if Moratti can get the next appointment right, I'd expect Inter to be challenging for the title at the end of the season. They've lost Eto'o but they still have some great players in Julio Cesar, Maicon, Sneijder etc and some fantastic young players who will come good in time. I think the big factor this season will be the success of Forlan. He's a phenomenal striker, but he struggled last time he left La Liga.

I expect Moratti to try and appoint Walter Mazzarri as the new manager. I'm not sure whether or not he'd move if approached given the recent turmoil and his current success with Napoli but he's got all the right attributes to make Inter a real force again.

* not really

euro Hibby
21-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Inter have agreed terms with ranieri who you remember did a spell at chelsea ! The point of the thread was also to highlight how it works elsewhere and how clubs have a different approach to hiring and firing.

euro Hibby
21-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Moratti is a bit of a joke. His family are loaded and he basically just runs Inter as president and fan pumping in fortunes from the family coffers. After years of spending , inter got lucky with the Juventus scandal which saw them awarded 2 league titles by default and Juventus had the heart and soul ripped from them. to his credit, Moratti kept spending as Milan had peaked and were not cash rich anymore. They won the title almost at a canter 3 years running and are running into difficulties now as the cycle seems finished. Players ahve left and those their are older and have their bellies full.

Personally I hate clubs who buy there way to success.............but I have always been a Hibby and with less funding available you have to put up with crap managers for 40 odd games and all the rst that clubs have available when run with tight budgets

Future17
21-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Inter have agreed terms with ranieri who you remember did a spell at chelsea ! The point of the thread was also to highlight how it works elsewhere and how clubs have a different approach to hiring and firing.

From a Milan perspective, I would be delighted with that appointment. :greengrin

R'Albin
21-09-2011, 07:08 PM

Gone by Xmas:agree:

euro Hibby
21-09-2011, 07:17 PM
it was on the national news tonight.....Iwas half listening but I am pretty sure he has a contact to the end of the year with Inter. Ranieri has a lot of experience and has worked with top players, Gasperini less so .........

renato
21-09-2011, 09:24 PM
From a Milan perspective, I would be delighted with that appointment. :greengrin

:agree:

I'd fancy Allegri and Milan to have the beating of them if they appoint Ranieri. Mazzarri would have been a great appointment, he's working miracles with Napoli and they will seriously challenge this year in Serie A and Europe. Cavani is also a monster and I can see the really big clubs scrambling to pay a Kaka-esk fee for him come January or next summer.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Euro Hibby - Inter were awarded 2 league titles by default, maybe they won them by not cheating!
Tricky one I suppose!

euro Hibby
22-09-2011, 06:00 AM
na inter have dirty noses as well.....maybe less in those years but they have a few clouds over their heads as well.

hibiedude
22-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Former Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri named new manager of Inter Milan

Future17
22-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Euro Hibby - Inter were awarded 2 league titles by default, maybe they won them by not cheating!
Tricky one I suppose!

na inter have dirty noses as well.....maybe less in those years but they have a few clouds over their heads as well.

In those years as well. :agree:

aberhibsfc
23-09-2011, 09:39 AM

Lothar? I had a soft spot for them when he was there, good player. That and they always seemed to be the underdogs as AC were on one of their unbeatable dominance of Seria A.

I remember watching those games on Channel 4 years ago some amazing players. Maldini was a full-back rock, but it was Baresi that stood out at AC.

Nostalgia is a funny thing, I am not saying these guys were much better than what's on offer just now. I will say they were damn fine players, and maybe even as far to say that there hasn't been a defence as good since that AC backline early 90's. The only thing that left me a bit cold was the consistant determination utilising the catanaccio system. Teams bolted the back door and hoped that the other defence would make that one mistake, 1 nils were very much the order of the day. That system witnessed Italy's dominance for some time at club and International level, but fell into decline, they employed it once more successfully at the 2006 World Cup against the odds reaching and winning the tournament final.

I am not sure if the Italians have the players to employ this anymore or if it can compete in modern football.

Whilst it was successful, it was not entertaining.

I kind of felt that about German football too, it reminded me of English though more technical but less passionate.

I used to enjoy a bit of French football, when Papin was still going strong. Those were technically good, maybe not the same blood and thunder as the British game but was real end to end stuff.

Oh yeah, Lothar, what a player. Anyone think that Matthaus, Khan and Ballack have been cloned somehow?