PDA

View Full Version : Left back Lewis

hibsbollah
21-09-2011, 12:24 PM
I know he's not everyones cup of tea but i'd like to see him tried back at left back again. We have a longstanding problem in this position,Murray, Booth both struggling and Lewis has performed well there before, has good pace and is strong in the tackle, although always prone to be caught out by the long diagonal ball.

In the absence of a new signing, he could be the best option.
Thoughts?

Stevie Reid
21-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I know he's not everyones cup of tea but i'd like to see him tried back at left back again. We have a longstanding problem in this position,Murray, Booth both struggling and Lewis has performed well there before, has good pace and is strong in the tackle, although always prone to be caught out by the long diagonal ball.

Thoughts?

Has to be worth considering, he's done well when he's played there before and we have real problems down that side - he does seem way out of the picture at the moment though, which is hardly surprising given his poor performances in midfield at the start of the season.

euro Hibby
21-09-2011, 12:35 PM
I think he played his first few games for the first team at left back and did a good job. There was later a few who thought that he was too wee for the position and that he did not offer enough going forward.

I think its a shame because he showed early promise and somewhere along the line he just stopped getting better.

Beefster
21-09-2011, 12:35 PM

Thoughts?

He's also performed terribly there on numerous occasions. If Lewis Stevenson is the answer, we're asking the wrong question.

Golden Bear
21-09-2011, 12:41 PM
An average player at best and not the answer I'm afraid.

Albion Hibs
I would stick with the same left as we did last night without a doubt. Perhaps Galbraith for Sproule but that will depend on injuries. No left back in the league will have to play against someone with that boys pace, and I think we coped well, as did towell as the guy on the other side cant have been much slower. Both full backs seem to stay narrow, tuck in well and make the defense in the box tight. And there was not the mistake of getting too tight to him.

I think I would play Murray, Towell and Booth at LB (in that order) before we put Lewis there. The OP does raise a valid point in that the left back got little cover from Sproule or Galbraith so I think Lewis has more chance in there. I would also play him ahead of Scott, he may not be the most technical but he is honest and will go in for a challange, thats what we needed at times in the middle last night.

easty
I'd much rather we persevered with Booth than played Stevenson there. He shouldn't be at Hibs anymore, I don't understand why he got a new deal from Calderwood. He certainly didn't deserve one on last seasons showing.

If we're desperate to play someone else at LB then I'd consider throwing Palsson back in at full back, perhaps at RB, with Towell going over to the left. Or Hanlon at LB with Murray in the middle.

The Voice Of Reason
21-09-2011, 12:44 PM
He's also performed terribly there on numerous occasions. If Lewis Stevenson is the answer, we're asking the wrong question.

Agreed ! :agree:

Prepare for being told to "jog on" and Hibs not needing you as a fan ! :wink:

easty
21-09-2011, 12:44 PM
I think he played his first few games for the first team at left back and did a good job. There was later a few who thought that he was too wee for the position and that he did not offer enough going forward.

I think its a shame because he showed early promise and somewhere along the line he just stopped getting better.

Youthful exhuberence counts for a lot. You get loads of players who break into first teams young, but then never reach the heights folk thought they would.

Stevie Reid
21-09-2011, 01:00 PM

Any specific matches that you remember, Beefster? I can't remember any where he's been terrible, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

hibsbollah
21-09-2011, 01:15 PM
The one that stuck in my head was a goalless draw at Tynecastle 2 or 3 seasons ago where we had a makeshift defence of Lewis at LB at Thicot at LCB and we pretty much soaked everything up. I gave him MOM that day. Theres been a few other good performances too, although hes obviously never really made the position his own. Hes not the new David Murphy but we dont have too many alternatives at the monent.

Stevie Reid
21-09-2011, 01:16 PM
The one that stuck in my head was a goalless draw at Tynecastle 2 or 3 seasons ago where we had a makeshift defence of Lewis at LB at Thicot at LCB and we pretty much soaked everything up. I gave him MOM that day. Theres been a few other good performances too, although hes obviously never really made the position his own. Hes not the new David Murphy but we dont have too many alternatives at the monent.

Yeah that one stuck out for me too, no score draw at Tynie the week before Hearts put us out of the SC at ER. I think he actually played LB at Tynie a couple of times in decent performances by us under Mixu.

Scooter
21-09-2011, 01:31 PM
i watched lewis at LB in the testimonial game and he looked to struggle against brewster Jackson and lovell, so i dont have much hope for him in the SPL

Shrekko
21-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Thoughts?

That some folk are obsessed with certain players who've had umpteen chances to establish themselves but failed to?

How long before the lines about all our managers ruining him and him just needing 'a run of games'?

Dirkster23
21-09-2011, 01:48 PM

Thoughts?

He'll be playing for Raith Rovers next season.

silverhibee
21-09-2011, 01:57 PM

Thoughts?

Could it be that they get no help from the left sided midfielder and are just over run when the opposition attack down that side, still dont think Lewis would be the answer mind you, Lewis is a good wee grafter but dont think he offers that much else to be honest.

Bayern Bru
21-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I'd much rather we persevered with Booth than played Stevenson there. He shouldn't be at Hibs anymore, I don't understand why he got a new deal from Calderwood. He certainly didn't deserve one on last seasons showing.

If we're desperate to play someone else at LB then I'd consider throwing Palsson back in at full back, perhaps at RB, with Towell going over to the left. Or Hanlon at LB with Murray in the middle.

:no way::shocked:

Definitely not. He's no' a right back. Never.

greenlex
21-09-2011, 02:04 PM
It is true to say that Booth has been strugglinh butto put itinto some sort of perspective he has been roasted by two of the better wide men in the league. I say stick wuth the laddie but the midfield have to be mindful of their defensive duties too.

Gettin' Auld
21-09-2011, 02:38 PM
There was later a few who thought that he was too wee for the position.

Roberto Carlos was only 5' 6" and wasn't thought of as being "too wee" to play a similar position.

:greengrin

ShanksSaidNo
21-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Reading the extensive number of threads and posts on here regarding our troublesome left side - I am amazed how lightly Sproule has got off! He doesnt track back - and when he does get forward his final ball is torture.

Its got to the point that people are actually asking for Lewis Stevenson to replace Booth (our most exciting young player to emerge for some time!)

In my opinion Booth should continue in the position that he has undoubtedly made his own and Sproule should be the one facing a spell on the sidelines!!

Our defence is shipping way too many goals than is acceptable this season and in my opinion this is not Booths fault - the biggest liability in the defence this season is Paul Hanlon!!

Kaiser1962
21-09-2011, 04:20 PM
It is true to say that Booth has been strugglinh butto put itinto some sort of perspective he has been roasted by two of the better wide men in the league. I say stick wuth the laddie but the midfield have to be mindful of their defensive duties too.

Certainly two of the fastest at any rate,and pace is always difficult to defend against, and are a major reason that Motherwell have started so well, this season.

Judas Iscariot
21-09-2011, 04:37 PM
He's been played nearly everywhere apart from in goals & he's been rank in all of them :agree:

Never, ever good enough a player for a team with aspirations as ours!

AlbertK86
21-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Definate no for me.

I would stick with what we started with last night for the sake of trying to get some consistency and not changing a winning team. However I have grave doubts over Hanlon and if he continues to struggle and ship goals I would try a back four of

RB Spoony
LB Towell
RCB Murray
LCB O'Hanlon

Would put Booth in at LM after another couple of shots on the bench. Hopefully we can take some confidence from last night get a couple of wins and bring him back into a winning teamso there is less pressure on him

Sorry Lewis ain't the answer

Franck is God
21-09-2011, 06:09 PM
I am a bit surprised that Stevenson didn't come in for Booth when he was left out.

For me Murray is the one that should be nowhere near the first team, every match he plays he looks slow and off the pace and to be honest doesn't actually defend that well.

I would be sticking with Booth though, he has the talent and should be allowed to play himself back into form. I agree that he has struggled a bit but as some have said doesn't get a lot of cover from the midfielder ahead of him, pretty sure that's why Sproule was taken off against Dunfermline.

Albion Hibs
21-09-2011, 06:13 PM
I am a bit surprised that Stevenson didn't come in for Booth when he was left out.

For me Murray is the one that should be nowhere near the first team, every match he plays he looks slow and off the pace and to be honest doesn't actually defend that well.

I would be sticking with Booth though, he has the talent and should be allowed to play himself back into form. I agree that he has struggled a bit but as some have said doesn't get a lot of cover from the midfielder ahead of him, pretty sure that's why Sproule was taken off against Dunfermline.

Reeking? Murray did well last night, what did you think of his performance?

The fact you would suggest Stevenson and Booth to play in front of him seems.....ridiculous to me.

MotherSuperior
21-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Murray and Booth obviously have very different styles, and i think either could start at fullback dependent on the opposition.

easty
21-09-2011, 06:40 PM
:no way::shocked:

Definitely not. He's no' a right back. Never.

I agree, but I'd still rather that than Stevenson!

Franck is God
21-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Reeking? Murray did well last night, what did you think of his performance?

The fact you would suggest Stevenson and Booth to play in front of him seems.....ridiculous to me.

Didn't go to the game last night but I wouldn't pick or drop a player based on a single display anyway.

Booth has a bit of pressure on him now as he has started the season as our first choice left back and he has made a few mistakes that have proved costly in games. I don't see the point in him being dropped though, other than the mistakes he has made his performances have been fine. If he is to be a top player (which he can be) then those are the things he has to learn from.

Albion Hibs
21-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Didn't go to the game last night but I wouldn't pick or drop a player based on a single display anyway.

Booth has a bit of pressure on him now as he has started the season as our first choice left back and he has made a few mistakes that have proved costly in games. I don't see the point in him being dropped though, other than the mistakes he has made his performances have been fine. If he is to be a top player (which he can be) then those are the things he has to learn from.

Glad you would not pick or drop a player based on one game. On that basis you wont have an issue with Murray at LB.

Booth has had more than a few mistakes so far this season. I think it is perfectly normal for young players to go through this and I dont think any manager or player would want to be thrown in week after week if that was the case. I am sure he will be equally grateful for the break to allow him to get his head together, the odd sub appearance when we are up or in a game will no doubt help, especially if he is played a little higher up the pitch.

If we dont every team in the league is going to target him for 90mins each game, there is no way that can help him.

Franck is God
22-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Glad you would not pick or drop a player based on one game. On that basis you wont have an issue with Murray at LB.

Booth has had more than a few mistakes so far this season. I think it is perfectly normal for young players to go through this and I dont think any manager or player would want to be thrown in week after week if that was the case. I am sure he will be equally grateful for the break to allow him to get his head together, the odd sub appearance when we are up or in a game will no doubt help, especially if he is played a little higher up the pitch.

If we dont every team in the league is going to target him for 90mins each game, there is no way that can help him.

All players have to learn from mistakes and Booth is no different and some teams will target him as a potential weak link in the team but that is something to work on in training. The errors he has made though have not come from his defending in open play it has been poor use of the ball or getting caught in possession, decision making like that in a game comes from experience and you only get that playing.

I have an issue with Murray playing at all not based on one game but the fact that in my opinion he has barely played a good game for us in over a season in whichever position he has played. He has a poor first touch, limited range of passing, is too slow and every time he tackles there is a chance he will get booked or sent off.

silverhibee
22-09-2011, 12:17 PM
All players have to learn from mistakes and Booth is no different and some teams will target him as a potential weak link in the team but that is something to work on in training. The errors he has made though have not come from his defending in open play it has been poor use of the ball or getting caught in possession, decision making like that in a game comes from experience and you only get that playing.

I have an issue with Murray playing at all not based on one game but the fact that in my opinion he has barely played a good game for us in over a season in whichever position he has played. He has a poor first touch, limited range of passing, is too slow and every time he tackles there is a chance he will get booked or sent off.

Murray has been decent this season Fig, he hasn't cost us any games with stupid mistakes or anything like that, as usual you are being a bit harsh on IM but hey ho, how many yellow or red cards has IM picked up this season.

happiehibbie
22-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I would not open my curtains if he was in my garden

Albion Hibs
22-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Murray has been decent this season Fig, he hasn't cost us any games with stupid mistakes or anything like that, as usual you are being a bit harsh on IM but hey ho, how many yellow or red cards has IM picked up this season.

One, a crap decision by the ref against hertz. At the end of the day I dont agree with torturing booth into learning, and I dont think there are many fans or any managers out there that would do that.

Not to sure what the other boy was on about when he said none of his mistakes had come from open play, correct me if I am wrong but they all have and almost did again during his short spell on Saturday at Dunfermline.

Dont get me wrong I do not want this to appear that I am battering the kid or dont think he is good enough. I think one day he could be, but he needs a slot on the bench for a while in the interst of saving him from any long term damage. It may only be a few games, and hopefully he comes back with a bang.