PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Griffiths

Hibiza
21-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Sign him up before we regret it.

Stevie Reid
21-09-2011, 12:21 PM
He's on loan from a Premiership side who want him to gain experience, they also paid £150K for him. Selling him isn't in the equation, never mind the financial implications if it were an option.

sundo1875
21-09-2011, 02:37 PM
I think if it was up to him he would be a hibs player the only problem is wolves,

CropleyWasGod
21-09-2011, 02:55 PM
I think if it was up to him he would be a hibs player the only problem is wolves,

... you mean the fact that they are probably paying him three times what we can? The scoundrels....:rolleyes:

The Falcon
21-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Personal terms may be more of an issue than Wolves I think.

LancashireHibby
21-09-2011, 03:12 PM

Then I'm sure there would be ways and means of going about if that is the case, but we'll see how much is up to him when he'd have to take a huge cut in wages to play for us rather than Wolves.

7Hero
21-09-2011, 04:11 PM
sign him up before we regret it ?

obvioulsy he is a quality player, 6 months of him better than none, impossible to expect anymore.

pentlando
21-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Best we can hope for is to get the full season out of him. Just because he's a fan doesn't mean Hibs are the only side he wants to play for. If i had his ability I would have designs on playing at a level far higher than ours. He's probably already too good for us, and will be a Scotland international in the next few years. That's before we even think about how we would finance it.

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2011, 05:59 PM
if he's any sense he'll want a crack at Wolves in the Premiership. However, only he'll know what's going on behind the scenes and whether he has a real chance of breaking through there or is just going waste a couple of his best footballing years in the reserves/Carling Cup/FA Cup.

£150,000 is nothing to an EPL side.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-09-2011, 06:22 PM
He's been good for us so far and I think he is too lightweight for the EPL so we may get an option in January but really can't see TBH...here's hoping

Jack
21-09-2011, 06:32 PM
6 months of him is a real bonus at this time. A 6 month extension to that is a real real bonus bonus.

hibeemikey21
21-09-2011, 06:39 PM
sign him up before we regret it ?

obvioulsy he is a quality player, 6 months of him better than none, impossible to expect anymore.

I doubt an extension until the end of the season is outwith the realms of possibility...........

essexhibee
21-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Loving the lad already....he's expression on the fishy site picture tells it all. Hibee through and through can't wait until he gets his first goal will be some celebration.

The Falcon
21-09-2011, 08:30 PM
He's been good for us so far and I think he is too lightweight for the EPL so we may get an option in January but really can't see TBH...here's hoping

6 months of him is a real bonus at this time. A 6 month extension to that is a real real bonus bonus.

He looked good last night anyway. I think McCarthy was a wee bit afraid he would get lumps kicked out of him, similar to what Mick did when he was at Celtic, and if he gets to January in one piece and playing regularly MM might consider extending.

DAVE1875
21-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Best we can hope for is somehow Hibs manage to negotiate an extension of the loan to the end of the season.

IWasThere2016
22-09-2011, 06:14 AM
Personal terms may be more of an issue than Wolves I think.

Really? What do you think he is on?

If (say :wink:) he was on £1k at Dens, why would Wolves automatically and significantly increase this?

ano hibby
22-09-2011, 06:52 AM
We certainly need to try & do something as Leigh and & GOC are our 2 best hopes of avoiding relegation / doing something in a cup. They could both be away at the next 2 windows respectively. Can you imagine how bad things would be without them both?

Don Giovanni
22-09-2011, 07:17 AM
They could both be away at the next 2 windows respectively. Can you imagine how bad things would be without them both? FFS I was having an enjoyable morning, basking in the glory of the League Cup results until I read that! I'd love them to stay but I think we just have to enjoy them whilst they are here... GGTTH

The Falcon
22-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Really? What do you think he is on?

If (say :wink:) he was on £1k at Dens, why would Wolves automatically and significantly increase this?

I have no idea but I would surmise that, if his agent's any good at all, there will considerable scope for him to increase his earnings substantially at Wolves based on how well he does. Wolves appear to be a well run club and dont pay stupid money but I would not be surprised to find that Wolves lowest paid first team squad will probably be paid more than our highest, or most in the SPL for the matter. In the case of first team regulars the gap will be quite considerable and the better he does in a tough, physical, league the more his stock will rise with McCarthy. Some have already said "he's too wee" so the more he proves he can mix it the more chance he has at Wolves.

Lucius Apuleius
22-09-2011, 07:45 AM
We certainly need to try & do something as Leigh and & GOC are our 2 best hopes of avoiding relegation / doing something in a cup. They could both be away at the next 2 windows respectively. Can you imagine how bad things would be without them both?

Won't really matter as we would have avoided relegation in the above scenario.

The Sea-gull
22-09-2011, 07:48 AM
By all accounts the boy has looked good but talk of signing him is miles off just yet.

As others state, if we could get him for the second half of the season that would be great.

Trouble is, if he does well at Hibs in the next few months, McCarthy may want to send him on loan to the Championship for the second half of the season to see how he gets on there.

If he did well there, then Wolves would either move him into their squad for next season or sell him on and we'd probably be priced out of a deal.

There will be clubs in the Championship monitoring his performance up here.

Lets just enjoy him while he is here.

Could do with scoring a goal though Leigh. Maybe one will come on Saturday and I have a wee feeling, though it will be tough and we are not suddenly world beaters, the tails will be up enough now to have a good go at United and I have more hope than I did a few days ago.

IWasThere2016
22-09-2011, 08:58 AM
I have no idea but I would surmise that, if his agent's any good at all, there will considerable scope for him to increase his earnings substantially at Wolves based on how well he does. Wolves appear to be a well run club and dont pay stupid money but I would not be surprised to find that Wolves lowest paid first team squad will probably be paid more than our highest, or most in the SPL for the matter. In the case of first team regulars the gap will be quite considerable and the better he does in a tough, physical, league the more his stock will rise with McCarthy. Some have already said "he's too wee" so the more he proves he can mix it the more chance he has at Wolves.

There will be - based on EPL or first team appearences most - how many have there been of those, and how many are likely? Not many at IMHO.

As you say Wolves are well run, and not stupid .. so we go back to my initial question - why signifcantly increase his earnings upfront? :wink:

bawheid
22-09-2011, 09:03 AM
There will be - based on EPL or first team appearences most - how many have there been of those, and how many are likely? Not many at IMHO.

As you say Wolves are well run, and not stupid .. so we go back to my initial question - why signifcantly increase his earnings upfront? :wink:

In case Griffiths got a better deal elsewhere? (Championship? Dunno, just asking the question.)

I have no idea what he earns. I suspect he'll want to at least try his luck in the Prem though.

JimBHibees
22-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Best we can hope for is to get the full season out of him. Just because he's a fan doesn't mean Hibs are the only side he wants to play for. If i had his ability I would have designs on playing at a level far higher than ours. He's probably already too good for us, and will be a Scotland international in the next few years. That's before we even think about how we would finance it.

Agree that is the best we will get hopefully the Wolves strikers stay fit and McCarthy is ok for him to spend more time up here. Personally think he has been excellent and provided a great boost to the team with his aggression, ability and confident attitude.

The Falcon
22-09-2011, 07:48 PM

If they do it right they end up paying the minimum the agent/player will accept and better overall terms than are on offer anywhere else.