PDA

View Full Version : Media BBC Sportsound

hibiedude
21-09-2011, 10:59 AM
After listening to sportsound last night especially open all mics when they were bleating on about Hibs fans hoping we would lose last night so CC would be a step nearer being sacked.

It angered me that so called experts in the game some who have dipped their toe in management but were found lacking ability now see themselves fit to pass judgement on what fans are thinking.

Trying to hear Chic Young give updates while Preston screamed over him with total nonsense was farcical at best.

Do you need any training to be a commentator or do you just open your mouth and say something controversial to get attention.

Hibby D
21-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Richard Gordon is the only one who gets any kudos from me - the rest are just a bunch of unprofessional amatuers. Time of BBC Licence money was put to better use!

Hibs TV for me from now on :agree:

Jim44
21-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Richard Gordon is the only one who gets any kudos from me - the rest are just a bunch of unprofessional amatuers. Time of BBC Licence money was put to better use!

Nah, he's as bad as the rest but as anchor man he has to at least attempt to show a bit decorum. In unguarded moments you still catch him extracting the Michael out of Hibs. I know we don't deserve their praise and I can be as critical as they are of Hibs but it's not pleasant to hear a bunch of trumped up, disinterested, juvenile balloons putting the boot into the team you support. I never listen to Open All Mics for that reason now.

Sammy7nil
21-09-2011, 11:40 AM
To be fair they can only "report" on what they see and Hibs have been laughable for a very long time up until last night.

Having said that I think they all talk tosh with only Richard Gordon and Derek Ferguson occasionally talking sense.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Hibs tv Commentator lastnight failed to capture the drama IMO. Even the penalties were a bit on the monotone. I was a bit disappointed as there seemed to be just that wee bit longer lag in his commentary. Probably less irritating than biscuits but at least the
Guy shows some emotion albeit misguided

Real lack of response when we scored I just found him really hard to follow

--------
21-09-2011, 12:16 PM

Open All Mikes is a waste of time IMO. A bunch of half-assed prima donnas each trying to yell louder than the rest and any half-decent contributions being drowned out by morons like Preston and Dodds.

The need a moderator like Jeff Stelling on Sky to keep order, and regular updates on scores. And a number of people need to be sacked - above-mentioned top priority, please.

Gordon's a competent commentator; CY was OK last night (for once); most of the others are an embarrassment.

WhileTheChief..
21-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I thought last nights open all mics was fantastic. The penalty shoot outs were nail biting stuff going between the 2 games.

I even find Alan Preston funny at times , it's only a bit of banter! I will however concede that Billy Dodds is a fud!

007 Mickey Weir
21-09-2011, 01:26 PM
I thought last nights open all mics was fantastic. The penalty shoot outs were nail biting stuff going between the 2 games. I even find Alan Preston funny at times , it's only a bit of banter! I will however concede that Billy Dodds is a fud! I have to agree with you. Last night they did really well at covering all the games and capturing the drama to the very end. Chic young was about creaming himself at the Hibs game. They all were winding up Richard Gordon about the Sheep losing. Not sure what people want. At the start of the show they got several people texting in (hibs fans) wanting hibs to lose. All they did was debate this. Its a poor mans sky sports news. But we do support the poor mans premier league.

Dan Sarf
21-09-2011, 01:40 PM
I have to agree with you. Last night they did really well at covering all the games and capturing the drama to the very end. Chic young was about creaming himself at the Hibs game. They all were winding up Richard Gordon about the Sheep losing. Not sure what people want. At the start of the show they got several people texting in (hibs fans) wanting hibs to lose. All they did was debate this. Its a poor mans sky sports news. But we do support the poor mans premier league.

Personally, I'd like to know what is going on at the game. Not listen to a lot of shouting.

ronaldo7
21-09-2011, 01:47 PM
When Preston was asked who'd win at the shoot out, he opted for Hibs.

I nearly fell oot my bath chair.

Broken Gnome
21-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Personally, I'd like to know what is going on at the game. Not listen to a lot of shouting.

Aye. It's like fanzone on Sky without being able to see the game. 'OHHHHHHHHH' and 'AHHHHHHHH' isn't reaLly giving you an idea of what's going on.

hibiedude
21-09-2011, 01:58 PM
They were allegedly Hibs fans phoning up stating they want their team to loose somehow I can t see it myself and listening to football on the radio you think we would get to hear it instead of the nonsense .

The one that shouts the loudest seems to win :rolleyes:

And before anyone says I should have been there if I was that interested, it was my decision not to go last night.

Malthibby
21-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Thought I would hate Open all Mikes but it's won me over - not always 'professional' but
they get very worked up & actually sound like a bunch of proper footie fans. GG

silverhibee
21-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Hibs tv Commentator lastnight failed to capture the drama IMO. Even the penalties were a bit on the monotone. I was a bit disappointed as there seemed to be just that wee bit longer lag in his commentary. Probably less irritating than biscuits but at least the

Who were the commentators for Hibs TV last night.

PatHead
21-09-2011, 02:58 PM
I can only listen to Open All Mikes in Small doses. Last night was as poor as ever. Often they talked more about their quiz questions than the games. By the way they all showed how stupid they were not knowing Milan wasn't a capital city. All of them want to be a Kris Kamara rather than reporting on the game.

Turning to the commentary Chic seemed more pro Hibs than he has ever been but seemed to take great pleasure in us not scoring, if he said Hibs must score again radio was going out the window! Took an awful long time to tell us Motherwell goal was disallowed, penalty coverage was a joke with Aberdeen commentator getting priority to describe placing the ball, change of kicker etc whilst Chick was muttering in the background. Not as bad as either the BBC news though which got both the scores wrong showing Aberdeen and Motherwell as winners or the muppet covering the Kilmarnock game who couldn't get the details of the sending off correct as there was a pillar in the way or the twat covering the Aberdeen game who missed the East Fife equalizer as he was counting the crowd out loud.

Richard Gordon tried to justify why a full match coverage was not being made last night whilst it is tonight when co-incidently the Old Firm are playing. Wonder which games they are covering. Bet they miss the big upset at Somerset Park. BBC are meant to be a public service broadcaster and should not be reserved for the Old Firm fans.

.Sean.
21-09-2011, 03:47 PM
The only Sportssound pundit i've any time for is Jim Spence.

--------
21-09-2011, 04:00 PM

My thought exactly.

A wee while ago we were talking about the late David Francie. For all his open allegiance to Glasgow Rangers, one thing David never forgot was that he was a RADIO commentator and therefore the only way any of his listeners could know what was going on was if he told them. Which he did, clearly and succinctly.

On OAM you get Chic Young starting to tell you about something happening at Parkhead only to be blotted out by Preston going "AWWWWW NAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!" at the top of his voice because he thought Hibs had scored and Billy Dodds bellowing "YAAAASSSSS!!!!!!!!!!" because Rangers have scored and then everybody shouting at once.

Like I said - news from all the main games being played that afternoon or evening, regular updates on the scores, and one person talking at a time please.

But if we had THAT, it would become totally and embarrassingly obvious that most of these clowns haven't a clue what they're talking about. Their collective IQ must be a number smaller than Hibs' points total so far this season.

(Except Richard Gordon and Jim Spence. The rest couldn't out-think a lump of horse manure.)

Jim44
21-09-2011, 04:11 PM
When Preston was asked who'd win at the shoot out, he opted for Hibs.

I nearly fell oot my bath chair.

He was only covering all his bases by that prediction. He was probably surprised, not to say deflated by the fact that we had held on to the end of extra time. To have said Motherwell to win on penalties and then to see Hibs come out on top would have been galling for him. I bet he had all fingers crossed for Motherwell to win.

jdships
21-09-2011, 04:13 PM
In the cold light of day we have to remember we are listeing to the " BEARSDEN BROADCASTING COMPANY"

:greengrin:wink:

--------
21-09-2011, 04:18 PM
He was only covering all his bases by that prediction. He was probably surprised, not to say deflated by the fact that we had held on to the end of extra time. To have said Motherwell to win on penalties and then to see Hibs come out on top would have been galling for him. I bet he had all fingers crossed for Motherwell to win.

All twelve of them? Thumbs too? :devil:

007 Mickey Weir
21-09-2011, 05:19 PM
My thought exactly.

A wee while ago we were talking about the late David Francie. For all his open allegiance to Glasgow Rangers, one thing David never forgot was that he was a RADIO commentator and therefore the only way any of his listeners could know what was going on was if he told them. Which he did, clearly and succinctly.

On OAM you get Chic Young starting to tell you about something happening at Parkhead only to be blotted out by Preston going "AWWWWW NAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!" at the top of his voice because he thought Hibs had scored and Billy Dodds bellowing "YAAAASSSSS!!!!!!!!!!" because Rangers have scored and then everybody shouting at once.

Like I said - news from all the main games being played that afternoon or evening, regular updates on the scores, and one person talking at a time please.

But if we had THAT, it would become totally and embarrassingly obvious that most of these clowns haven't a clue what they're talking about. Their collective IQ must be a number smaller than Hibs' points total so far this season.

(Except Richard Gordon and Jim Spence. The rest couldn't out-think a lump of horse manure.)

Its all a bit fun nothing more. Non of them hide who they support. No big deal. They only have one channel midweek. Rather than getting one game you get them all and a bit of a laugh too. At the weekend they are allowed to cover all the games and you can choose your game or open all mics.
Ok there is a little bit of ooooohhhhh and chic young screaming at a corner kick being awarded but you get the goals and information as it happens.
Better than the old days of watching Ceefax update every 2 mins. But being about 20mins behind the game.
If Open all mics is not for u well don't listen to it. Simple! You have HibsTV as an alternative.

Sir David Gray
21-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Its all a bit fun nothing more. Non of them hide who they support. No big deal. They only have one channel midweek. Rather than getting one game you get them all and a bit of a laugh too. At the weekend they are allowed to cover all the games and you can choose your game or open all mics.
Ok there is a little bit of ooooohhhhh and chic young screaming at a corner kick being awarded but you get the goals and information as it happens.
Better than the old days of watching Ceefax update every 2 mins. But being about 20mins behind the game.
If Open all mics is not for u well don't listen to it. Simple! You have HibsTV as an alternative.

It's not quite as simple as that.

As licence fee payers, people are entitled to voice their displeasure at a service that the BBC puts out.

Personally, I think Open All Mics is terrible.

blackpoolhibs
21-09-2011, 09:51 PM

:agree: I really dont want this to sound like an anti english post, but i do find him so boring i sometimes turn off his interviews. Give me someone like John Campbell who goes berserk when we score or get near a goal.

At least John or Willie Dunn sounded as if they were excited, and actually supported the team.

Jonnyboy
21-09-2011, 10:07 PM
:agree: I really dont want this to sound like an anti english post, but i do find him so boring i sometimes turn off his interviews. Give me someone like John Campbell who goes berserk when we score or get near a goal.

At least John or Willie Dunn sounded as if they were excited, and actually supported the team.

:embarrass :greengrin

SteveHFC
21-09-2011, 10:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cLJ8Y8ZgVo

jabis
21-09-2011, 11:09 PM

correct,I really like openmikes,it's just good banter !

NGH
21-09-2011, 11:22 PM
I thought last nights Open All Mics was excellent. You would have to have tin ears and a heart of stone to have failed to get some pleasure from the penalty shoot-out mash-up at the end. Having a full commentary on Hibs would be preferable of course but its far better to have the open format than to have to listen to another commentary and hope they remember to give a score update. You are never going to please everyone with the choice of pundits and I can get as fed up and annoyed with "biscuits" and "doddsy" as the next man but Richard Gordon anchors the show well, when the discussion is not dominated by the Infirm it can be entertaining and the contributors all come across as genuine fans of the game. I'll cope without Jim Traynor though.

Dan Sarf
21-09-2011, 11:31 PM

Now THAT is how to do it. :flag:

blackpoolhibs
22-09-2011, 07:15 AM
:embarrass :greengrin

Thats how to commentate on a Hibs goal. :top marks:flag::flag::flag:

Now you are not even sure if a goal has been scored.

Hibernia Na Eir
22-09-2011, 07:18 AM
john Robertson is akin to an amateur or a 14 year old wanna-be pundit. he's a joke. I can't begin to imagine what his team talks are like!

Hamish
22-09-2011, 07:26 AM

:top marks - said for years that the Controller of BBC Scotland can't possibly ever listen to Sportsound or it would be taken off the air. Embarrassingly bad.

R'Albin
22-09-2011, 06:42 PM
All of them want to be a Kris Kamara rather than reporting on the game.

:top marks I also agree with others that Richard Gordon and Jim Spence are the only decent pundits there. Trying to listen to pens was also a nightmare, you had a commentator shouting goal and I wasn't even sure which game it was :rolleyes:

Why do they not have seperate commentary online for cup games? (except the OF)