PDA

View Full Version : Perspective

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2011, 10:55 AM
It's a bit sad that we have this euphoria for a 2-2 aet draw at Fir Park, when not long ago (Mowbray/Collins) we were dismantling the place like Thatcher's government back in the eighties. We've been here before this season, when we went ballistic that we'd ended the Inverness hoodoo. That was followed by mediocre performances.

Last night the team showed fight, character and that they were in this together. In other words, they looked to have gelled.

So there can be no hiding place for them or CC now. After last night they've set a bar in terms of effort and battling, and the fans will accept nothing less now that we know they can do it.

I'm intrigued as to what kind of Hibs performance we'll see against Dundee United. We desperately need the points but to me the attitude is the key element here.

This is most important game of the season.

CallumLaidlaw
21-09-2011, 11:02 AM
It is certainly a big game. I think its fair to say we got out of jail at inverness, whereas last night sounded like a much better "performance".

The team need to pick up where they left off on Saturday, otherwise the fans will see at as another false dawn after Inverness and Ibrox last season.

alfieboi75
21-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Us Hi Bees fans look at every game as a big game although Saturday's game is one of our biggest.

I intend to be at the game, and I hope the attendence shall be over 11000.

iwasthere1972
21-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Forget about the league and just concentrate on the cup.

You know it makes sense.

To the poster above, there's no chance that the attendance will be anywhere 11,000. If we see 9,000 we will be doing well.

Stevie Reid
21-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Very happy with the win last night, and it's important to enjoy it - but perspective is most definitely required. Callum Booth was the one shining light from last season, and it was hard for many not to go overboard about his potential when he made some good performances in the first team. His recent struggles have been a (hopefully temporary) reality check about how far he has to go to even come close to fulfilling his potential, though I must say that I'm delighted that he felt confident enough to be the final penalty taker last night, and hope that his miss doesn't affect him.

I don't want to be guilty of over analysing what CC says, but I did find the following a bit alarming: -

"I'm sure the supporters who came thoroughly enjoyed that. It washes away any doubt about the level we can perform at," said Calderwood. "I think we've got to take the enjoyment from it. I'm delighted with what the players have produced in front of a paying public. It's what I see time after time in training."

It doesn't wash away anything, just like a late goal against Aberdeen wouldn't have sent everyone home happy, and there is still a huge deficit to be covered in terms of the ratio of good-awful performances. We were miles better under Mixu than we have been under Calderwood, and we all thought that we had finally seen the end of the eye bleeding football under MP when we went to Fir Park and hammered a good Motherwell side 4-1 - but the next game and from there on in, we were just as bad as before. In fact, when you think back to the flawless 6-1 victory under Collins and the very good 3-2 win there at the start of last season, Fir Park has been home to a few false dawns for us recently.

However, a quarter final place in a cup is always a good thing, and we should enjoy the fact that we can read a match report without cringing or shirking at the memories. Billy Brown may be the foil that CC has so desperately needed given the passion and commitment that the players have shown last night, but it is also far too early to make that judgement. For the first time in a while we have some grounds for optimism - but the reasons to be realistic and keep our feet firmly on the ground are far more compelling and real.

Roll on Saturday though, it will be the first time in a long time that I've gone to ER without complete trepidation. Mon the Cabbage.

Stevie Reid
21-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Perspective, in a different way: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15004394.stm

ancient hibee
21-09-2011, 12:00 PM
There is no more over reaction to this game than there is to any game we play.

--------
21-09-2011, 12:02 PM
It's a bit sad that we have this euphoria for a 2-2 aet draw at Fir Park, when not long ago (Mowbray/Collins) we were dismantling the place like Thatcher's government back in the eighties. We've been here before this season, when we went ballistic that we'd ended the Inverness hoodoo. That was followed by mediocre performances.

Last night the team showed fight, character and that they were in this together. In other words, they looked to have gelled.

So there can be no hiding place for them or CC now. After last night they've set a bar in terms of effort and battling, and the fans will accept nothing less now that we know they can do it.

I'm intrigued as to what kind of Hibs performance we'll see against Dundee United. We desperately need the points but to me the attitude is the key element here.

We needed to get through last night and we did - just and no more. A decent draw in the quarters and another gutsy performance and we have a nice wee cup run at last. Plus a bit of sponsorship cash to boost the depleted coffers and keep the bean-counters happy.

But you're right - if they can do it in the League Cup on a Tuesday they can do it in the League on a Saturday, and the League is what matters. The Arabs will be tough opposition and a lot hangs on how the team plays and the attitude they display.

The next six weeks will be decisive for the season, IMO. If we haven't clearly turned the corner by mid-November, we're in real trouble.

Prawn Sandwich
21-09-2011, 12:14 PM
I was at the game last night and while it was a very positive performance there is still a problem on the left. Murray was run ragged and Sproule did very little tracking back to help. Motherwell got everything down their right hand side for an average player according to the Motherwell fans I went to the game with.

Palsson drifted in and out of the game at times, but he did get better as the game went on. I'm sure he is a better player and could really influence a game if he showed a better work ethic.

I noticed Billy Brown wasn't holding back on giving CC advice and when Murray came on and Towel switched from right to left and Wotherspoon to the right then this was much more effective.

Full marks to Brown. I thought both goal keepers were brilliant. Best out field players were O'Connor, Griffiths and Galbraith when he came were very good.

I know that it was technically a draw at full time, but the performance was the best I have seen this season.

Saturday is big day again for Hibs. Let's hope they can put in another good shift.

HibsMax
21-09-2011, 01:11 PM

It's not sad at all. It's progress. We ALL know that Hibs are not performing at the level that we want them to perform at but that doesn't mean we should ignore progress, no matter how miniscule you might think it is. I don't care if we take baby steps just as long as we're headed in the right general direction. The last three results while nothing to wet your pants about are still better than three losses.

jdships
21-09-2011, 02:21 PM
There is no more over reaction to this game than there is to any game we play.

:agree::thumbsup: