PDA

View Full Version : i know we've not won the cup.. .

IanM
21-09-2011, 07:48 AM
but just had a look through the **match updates** thread and when hibs went 2-1 down you've gotta admit some posters need to hang their head in shame.. i know at the time we're getting beat but the 'taxi for CC' posts etc need to stop

altho there's only a few cringy posts, even still.. if you've got enough time to call a taxi for CC, maybe you should get one to the game

HH81
21-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Got to agree. I posted a reply to one of them. I'm sure they were all going mad like the rest of us at the end.
Fantastic result well done to CC and the players.

matty_f
21-09-2011, 07:56 AM
but just had a look through the **match updates** thread and when hibs went 2-1 down you've gotta admit some posters need to hang their head in shame.. i know at the time we're getting beat but the 'taxi for CC' posts etc need to stop

altho there's only a few cringy posts, even still.. if you've got enough time to call a taxi for CC, maybe you should get one to the game

I'll hold my hands up as one of those posters, and to be fair I'm usually one of the happy clappers. The experiences of the last couple of years, watching numerous capitulations led to the frustration at chucking a goal lead by half time. I don't think those posts would have appeared if we'd been on anything like a decent bit of form recently.

Fair play to the team, absolutely delighted that they turned it around and got through, probably more elated with the way it eventually panned out than if we'd held onto a 1-0 win, to be honest, but that's what football's all about - the despair and the ecstacy.

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2011, 08:00 AM
I wasn't one of the posters you mention, but I'm going to back them anyway. Caldo's reign has been nothing short of a dire embarrassment to the club, and you can't blame people for thinking, at 1-2, that they'd seen it all before.

When you're Tom Kite fans will vent, when you're decent, and/or show courage and determination, they'll back you to the hilt. It's because they care.

Yes, some people jumped the gun, but given the groundhog day purgatory of the last six months and beyond, you can hardly blame them for that.

Rather than point fingers, its far better to leave it and acknowledge that this result and performance has given players, manager, club and fans a little but of traction - nothing more - to arrest this relentless downward slide, and therefore lets unite against United and play our part in ensuring that they do just that.

Andy74
21-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Away you go. I'm sure there were conversations along the same lines at the game. There were certainly reports on the same thread of booing and people arguing between each other.

Credit to the team for turning around what they had chucked away for another week, which at the end of the day was still a draw after 90 minutes.

When you have the record of CC and the players then that's what you get and until they properly turn it around consistently then they are going to be questioned.

You do know some of the people commenting on the thread do so from the game as well?

JimBHibees
21-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Away you go. I'm sure there were conversations along the same lines at the game. There were certainly reports on the same thread of booing and people arguing between each other.

Credit to the team for turning around what they had chucked away for another week, which at the end of the day was still a draw after 90 minutes.

When you have the record of CC and the players then that's what you get and until they properly turn it around consistently then they are going to be questioned.

You do know some of the people commenting on the thread do so from the game as well?

Tend to agree was at the game and at 2-1 Motherwell were very much threatening to score another couple adn defensively the team were very poor. Half time came at the right time and ther performance was much better.

.Sean.
21-09-2011, 08:54 AM
but just had a look through the **match updates** thread and when hibs went 2-1 down you've gotta admit some postders need to hang their head in shame.. i know at the time we're getting beat but the 'taxi for CC' posts etc need to stop altho there's only a few cringy posts, even still.. if you've got enough time to call a taxi for CC, maybe you should get one to the game Bolt. A win on penalties and a semi-decent performance does not make up for 18 months of torturous hoofball. It does however seemed to have papered over the cracks in the eyes of some. CC's time is stil up IMO.

hibiedude
21-09-2011, 09:00 AM

Perhaps the comments you refer too are from guys like me who are not taken it with one result and will wait to see what the next few weeks bring.

Perhaps the guys you refer too were at the Pars game saturday and seen us chuck a 2 goal lead away.

Why does the taxi for CC replies need to stop because if we lose the next 4-5 games there will be more people calling for Calderwoods head.

lets wait and see what the next few games bring and lets enjoy this victory because it's been a while since we won.

Jim44
21-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Bolt. A win on penalties and a semi-decent performance does not make up for 18 months of torturous hoofball. It does however seemed to have papered over the cracks in the eyes of some. CC's time is stil up IMO.

Perhaps the comments you refer too are from guys like me who are not taken it with one result and will wait to see what the next few weeks bring.

Perhaps the guys you refer too were at the Pars game saturday and seen us chuck a 2 goal lead away.

Why does the taxi for CC replies need to stop because if we lose the next 4-5 games there will be more people calling for Calderwoods head.

lets wait and see what the next few games bring and lets enjoy this victory because it's been a while since we won.

By default, because I wasn't listening to the game, I didn't express my displeasure, but I support those who did. I was at East End Park on Saturday and was disgusted at the way they handed the game to Dunfermline and a repeat of that was on the cards last night. No wonder some folk thought, 'here we go again'. Last night's result goes nowhere near papering over the cracks. Calderwood is still useless and I can't wait to see the back of him.

IanM
21-09-2011, 09:12 AM

so what is it ive said that has annoyed you? the fact my post is could be taken as positive towards CC or the fact that i may have called you fickle?

hibiedude
21-09-2011, 09:23 AM
By default, because I wasn't listening to the game, I didn't express my displeasure, but I support those who did. I was at East End Park on Saturday and was disgusted at the way they handed the game to Dunfermline and a repeat of that was on the cards last night. No wonder some folk thought, 'here we go again'. Last night's result goes nowhere near papering over the cracks. Calderwood is still useless and I can't wait to see the back of him.

Jim, a lot of people think they way you do and good on them for saying so but I hope the Billy Brown effect is starting to kick in because he has the knowledge about scottish football and football in general that Calderwood lacks.

Any improvement in the team will go to BB because CC has been dire for some time.

Jim44
21-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Jim, a lot of people think they way you do and good on them for saying so but I hope the Billy Brown effect is starting to kick in because he has the knowledge about scottish football and football in general that Calderwood lacks.

Any improvement in the team will go to BB because CC has been dire for some time.

Fair comment. Your last observation reflects what I was thinking but if it's true, how long can Calderwood live in the 'limelight' and 'shadow' of his No.2? If they can build up a mutually agreeable and 'respectful' working relationship which turns us around, I'll be delighted. They don't have much time 'tho.

Don Giovanni
21-09-2011, 10:03 AM
I wasn't one of the posters you mention, but I'm going to back them anyway. Caldo's reign has been nothing short of a dire embarrassment to the club, and you can't blame people for thinking, at 1-2, that they'd seen it all before. When you're Tom Kite fans will vent, when you're decent, and/or show courage and determination, they'll back you to the hilt. It's because they care. Yes, some people jumped the gun, but given the groundhog day purgatory of the last six months and beyond, you can hardly blame them for that.Rather than point fingers, its far better to leave it and acknowledge that this result and performance has given players, manager, club and fans a little but of traction - nothing more - to arrest this relentless downward slide, and therefore lets unite against United and play our part in ensuring that they do just that. :agree: Delighted with the win last night in what was a tough draw but wins against Dundee United & St. Johnstone would be far more important IMO. Let's see how we perform in those games and take it from there. CC & BB still have a lot of work to do...

Hainan Hibs
21-09-2011, 10:27 AM
I think it is only normal for fans to try to vent some of their emotion on the messageboard, especially the way the game was going at 1-2 and having to rely on Chic Young for updates while Preston screamed over him with total nonsense.

To come on and try to act all high and mighty above people getting worked up over the game makes you look like a bit of a knob to be honest.

LeithBoozy
21-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I'll hold my hands up as one of those posters, and to be fair I'm usually one of the happy clappers. The experiences of the last couple of years, watching numerous capitulations led to the frustration at chucking a goal lead by half time. I don't think those posts would have appeared if we'd been on anything like a decent bit of form recently.

Fair play to the team, absolutely delighted that they turned it around and got through, probably more elated with the way it eventually panned out than if we'd held onto a 1-0 win, to be honest, but that's what football's all about - the despair and the ecstacy. I dont think you have anything to reproach yourself for Matty, most of us were thinking the same thing. In my opionion you are one of the fairest and most loyal suppourters on the boards, so chin-up mate and keep smiling.:wink:

Beefster
21-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Bolt. A win on penalties and a semi-decent performance does not make up for 18 months of torturous hoofball. It does however seemed to have papered over the cracks in the eyes of some. CC's time is stil up IMO.

We're not starting to blame Calderwood for seven months of piss-poor performances under Hughes now, are we?

.Sean.
21-09-2011, 11:14 AM
We're not starting to blame Calderwood for seven months of piss-poor performances under Hughes now, are we? Apologies, that's an error on my part. We've only actually had to endure 12 months of 'football' that has made us want to gouge our eyes out from Calderwood, and we've only had to put up with his downright shambolic view on how a defence should be selected and set up. And only since last year when he was appointed have we all had to enjoy having a tactically inept buffoon at the helm. He doesn't know his best side despite yhe fact it is HIS team, he can't set his side up, we're easy to beat and the opposition pinpoint and exploit these frailties from the kick-off. Get him tae ****.

Andy74
21-09-2011, 11:19 AM
so what is it ive said that has annoyed you? the fact my post is could be taken as positive towards CC or the fact that i may have called you fickle?

Eh?

iwasthere1972
21-09-2011, 11:21 AM

A 2-2 draw against Motherwell after a year of abysmal results and performances won't stop me saying :taxi for CC.

IWasThere2016
21-09-2011, 11:22 AM
I'll hold my hands up as one of those posters, and to be fair I'm usually one of the happy clappers.

cough .. splutter .. err., bl**dy founder member mare like! :wink: :greengrin

We're not starting to blame Calderwood for seven months of piss-poor performances under Hughes now, are we?

:greengrin

Apologies, that's an error on my part. We've only actually had to endure 12 months of 'football' that has made us want to gouge our eyes out from Calderwood, and we've only had to put up with his downright shambolic view on how a defence should be selected and set up. And only since last year when he was appointed have we all had to enjoy having a tactically inept buffoon at the helm. He doesn't know his best side despite yhe fact it is HIS team, he can't set his side up, we're easy to beat and the opposition pinpoint and exploit these frailties from the kick-off. Get him tae ****.

No been easy to beat in the last 3 :wink: and was it 'hoofball' last night? :dunno:

matty_f
21-09-2011, 11:36 AM
I dont think you have anything to reproach yourself for Matty, most of us were thinking the same thing. In my opionion you are one of the fairest and most loyal suppourters on the boards, so chin-up mate and keep smiling.:wink:

:aok: Cheers bud!

Big Frank
21-09-2011, 12:00 PM

Fair play to the team, absolutely delighted that they turned it around and got through, probably more elated with the way it eventually panned out than if we'd held onto a 1-0 win, to be honest, but that's what football's all about - the despair and the ecstacy.

Quality honest post Matty. :agree:

ancient hibee
21-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Isn't the time to get behind the team when they go 1 down rather than 1 up?

--------
21-09-2011, 12:27 PM

What they said. I've been stuck in the house with a tummy bug and watched the Leeds-Man U game last night, with ten-minute checks on the Hibs score. When Well equalised, I expected them to score again. When they did, I expected a collapse, or at best desperate backs-to-the-wall stuff and a 3-1 defeat. Ten minutes from time I was expecting 2-1 and out of the cup. I had tried listening to BBC radio but those morons do my head in.

I was delighted when Gazza equalised, but still very apprehensive. I'm delighted we won the shoot-out, but unless this result is followed up by improved League results, nothing has changed.

Maybe Billy Brown's the one knows where you can get job-lots of backbones and testicles cheap? :devil:

HibsMax
21-09-2011, 01:03 PM

Have to agree with you. I don't know why some people can't wait until the game is OVER before writing us off. That doesn't mean you have to be happy with the way the game is going but the "that's us out" sort of threads are, at best, premature.

Andy74
21-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Have to agree with you. I don't know why some people can't wait until the game is OVER before writing us off. That doesn't mean you have to be happy with the way the game is going but the "that's us out" sort of threads are, at best, premature.

That's not reality though is it, at the game people will be talking about the same sort of stuff, same in the pubs if the game is on.

That's the highs and lows of football and people are only going on their experiences.

If we go a goal down do you want us all to not discuss the likelihood of getting back in it? Should we just stay silent until the end of the game when we can be sure of the outcome.

I think a few pwople need to lighten up about what is discussed on a fans website.

I wouldn't be going too daft on getting a draw at a team that just lost 3-0 at home to St Johnstone either so I'm not sure so many seem to think something has been proved to the doubters here that should make us all eat our words.

greenlex
21-09-2011, 02:13 PM
I desperatey want Calderwood to do well but IMO the clock is definately still ticking. It may have slowed down a bit but its definately still ticking.

Stevie Reid
21-09-2011, 02:14 PM
That's not reality though is it, at the game people will be talking about the same sort of stuff, same in the pubs if the game is on.

That's the highs and lows of football and people are only going on their experiences.

If we go a goal down do you want us all to not discuss the likelihood of getting back in it? Should we just stay silent until the end of the game when we can be sure of the outcome.

I think a few pwople need to lighten up about what is discussed on a fans website.

I wouldn't be going too daft on getting a draw at a team that just lost 3-0 at home to St Johnstone either so I'm not sure so many seem to think something has been proved to the doubters here that should make us all eat our words.

This could also have been added to the 'Perspective' thread, along with the fact that East Fife took 3 goals from an Aberdeen team at Pittodrie that we couldn't score against at Easter Road.

Good things were shown last night, but nothing was has been proved.

kennyh
21-09-2011, 02:39 PM
[QGood things were shown last night, but nothing was has been proved.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, many on here are forgetting that for an hour last night the performance was piss poor. We now need to carry this momemntum forward and get a result on Saturday. We started and closed out well in the game but completely lost our way for a masive spell in the 90 minutes.

Great result but lets not get carried away.

HibsMax
21-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Looking at the facts, the reality of the situation is people started to write Hibs off after we went behind, yet we came back and won the game.

I don't care what you want to discuss when Hibs go behind. Personally I'll always be hoping we can get back in it and get a favourable result. I certainly won't be calling it quits.

EDIT : My comments are aimed directly at those who threw in the towel before the game was over. I am not trying to convince anyone that we are suddenly a team of world-beaters.

--------
21-09-2011, 02:59 PM

:agree: A nice change to go through for once, but we got through by the skin of our teeth and would have gone out if the Motherwell 'goal' had stood, which it might well have done.

If Hibs fans really don't believe in the team's commitment or backbone, it's no one's fault but the players' themselves.

And with all due respect to the SFL and the sponsors, this cup is a sideshow - it's the League that counts, and in the League we've been abysmal.

HibsMax
21-09-2011, 03:00 PM
I desperatey want Calderwood to do well but IMO the clock is definately still ticking. It may have slowed down a bit but its definately still ticking.

No doubt. We can't clutch occasional wins, we have to build upon each result.

LancashireHibby
21-09-2011, 03:11 PM
A win on penalties and a semi-decent performance does not make up for 18 months of torturous hoofball. It does however seemed to have papered over the cracks in the eyes of some. CC's time is stil up IMO.

Pretty much sums it up for me. I wouldn't go as far as saying I wanted us to lose last night because that simply isn't true, but it's fair to say it's something that CC chooses to dine out on for the next few weeks if the performances don't match last night.

HibsMax
21-09-2011, 04:54 PM

It hasn't papered over the cracks for me. I'm just happy that results have changed a little. Don't mistake people's recognition of this as a belief that we're now the finished product. It's about making progress IMO. I don't expect us to go from zeros to heros overnight, it's going to take some time. I'll take two draws and a cup win as a start but we have to keep progressing with every game. Staying rooted to the foot of the table is not progress so obviously results have to improve which includes, but is not limited to, not throwing away games that we're winning.

3pm
21-09-2011, 05:02 PM
I am really pleased we got through. I think it's because I am so shocked we showed bouncebackability.

We've on pens, we easily could have been out. The bar has so fallen so low under the current manager that last night has been dressed up as a bigger deal than it should be.

hibiedude
21-09-2011, 05:16 PM
I think some f the abuse CC gets “rightly in my opinion” goes back to the start of the season when he wouldn’t commit himself to Hibs and the fans didn’t know if we would be looking for a new a new manager and put that along side that as a manager he has fallen way short of what’s required to get us back to being a decent side hasn’t help his cause.

Captain Trips
21-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Good result last night, for me CC is still not the right man for Hibs as are his bosses now. Next few games will be interesting to see if we can build.

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Pretty much sums it up for me. I wouldn't go as far as saying I wanted us to lose last night because that simply isn't true, but it's fair to say it's something that CC chooses to dine out on for the next few weeks if the performances don't match last night.

Don't think he'll have that option. Saturday is massive for him. He needs to show that it wasn't a fluke and this team is coming together and that he he is behind a sustained revival. A poor/spineless performance and a defeat and and the glorious victory against Motherwell will quickly become a scrappy draw against poor opposition in a diddy cup tie. He's given himself four days breathing space and cast a few minor doubts in the minds of some who'd written him off (myself included) - but nothing more.

hibs0666
21-09-2011, 05:27 PM
:agree: A nice change to go through for once, but we got through by the skin of our teeth and would have gone out if the Motherwell 'goal' had stood, which it might well have done.

If Hibs fans really don't believe in the team's commitment or backbone, it's no one's fault but the players' themselves.

And with all due respect to the SFL and the sponsors, this cup is a sideshow - it's the League that counts, and in the League we've been abysmal.

Did you think it a sideshow when we won the thing?

blackpoolhibs
21-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Last night was huge imo, we actually came back from the jaws of defeat, and although i only watched it on HI, we seemed to play well at times, and pass the ball around a fair bit.

We got through to the next round, so progress was made.:greengrin

Its all pish though if we dont build on it, starting this saturday. :pray:

Albion Hibs
21-09-2011, 06:04 PM

There was a couple of numpties arguing with a guy that seemed to be giving support to the team, they clearly came to the game with an agenda in mind.

As for still a draw after 90 mins - "away you go" - it was not that long ago that plenty on here were heading into a dark room with their wilson sports socks when going on about how good Motherwell were, how they were the bench mark. At the end of the day whether it was 90 mins it was irrelevent, we beat a decent SPL team away in the cup to go through to the next round. A draw away in the league would equally be a good result.

I hope all those who started hammering the team from Sunday onwards, and during the game, including the goons booing at half time have a good look at themselves.

--------
21-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Did you think it a sideshow when we won the thing?

When we 'won the thing' we weren't struggling in the League the way we are now.

First priority IMO has to be to make sure of SPL status, preferably in the top half. Then to qualify for Europe. Then the SCup, then the LCup.

With both the OF still in, plus Hearts whom we haven't beaten for ages, plus the Arabs, I'd say that right now we're long-odds outsiders to repeat 2007.

Therefore - right now - I want to see the sort of fight and determination the team showed last night translated to the League campaign. THAT's the place we'll see whether any improvement - and let's face it, last night could well be no more than a flash in the pan - is REALLY taking place.

That's what I mean.

HibsMax
21-09-2011, 06:22 PM
I am really pleased we got through. I think it's because I am so shocked we showed bouncebackability.

We've on pens, we easily could have been out. The bar has so fallen so low under the current manager that last night has been dressed up as a bigger deal than it should be.

IMO it is a big deal because of what we've had to endure over the past years. I know it shouldn't be a big deal but it is. Don't get me wrong, I want Hibs to climb out of this hole and get to a place where beating Motherwell in the league cup is little more than an expected result but we're not there yet.

I know what I mean even if others don't. :wink:

HibsMax
21-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Don't think he'll have that option. Saturday is massive for him. He needs to show that it wasn't a fluke and this team is coming together and that he he is behind a sustained revival. A poor/spineless performance and a defeat and and the glorious victory against Motherwell will quickly become a scrappy draw against poor opposition in a diddy cup tie. He's given himself four days breathing space and cast a few minor doubts in the minds of some who'd written him off (myself included) - but nothing more.

This is the key for me. A loss is a backwards step. A draw is still not a loss but we can't move forward by "not losing". A win can only help us climb one spot but that is the progress we need. Yes, my new buzzword is progress. :)

hibs0666
21-09-2011, 10:00 PM
When we 'won the thing' we weren't struggling in the League the way we are now.

First priority IMO has to be to make sure of SPL status, preferably in the top half. Then to qualify for Europe. Then the SCup, then the LCup.

With both the OF still in, plus Hearts whom we haven't beaten for ages, plus the Arabs, I'd say that right now we're long-odds outsiders to repeat 2007.

Therefore - right now - I want to see the sort of fight and determination the team showed last night translated to the League campaign. THAT's the place we'll see whether any improvement - and let's face it, last night could well be no more than a flash in the pan - is REALLY taking place.

That's what I mean.

There's only two trophies we have any chance of winning, and the cup is now hun-less. League survival in my positive view of Hibs is not even worth talking about - I'll leave that to the uber-pessimists. :wink:

--------
21-09-2011, 10:46 PM
There's only two trophies we have any chance of winning, and the cup is now hun-less. League survival in my positive view of Hibs is not even worth talking about - I'll leave that to the uber-pessimists. :wink:

Aye, well, after nearly 50 years of following them, I guess my optimism's all worn out. Not that I was ever all that optimistic anyway. Not so much that my glass is always half-empty - I have the strongest suspicion that some dirty so-an-so's just gone and peed in it.

But I have to say that our odds in the League Cup this season have shortened quite a bit this evening.

Nae Huns, nae Mini-Huns. How nice. :devil:

Now all we need is a decent draw tomorrow and someone to knock out Celtic...

R'Albin
22-09-2011, 05:35 AM

I know the discussion has moved on a bit but.. What a ridiculous post. You expect us all to just stay happy after it seemed like we bottled it again. If I had been able to post at that time I would no doubt post something along the same lines.

Also, some of us might have a reason they can't get to the game?

Lucius Apuleius
22-09-2011, 05:36 AM
Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat. No matter how good the outlook you just know sooner or later some ***** or **** is gonna come along and P you right off.

Onwards and upwards. The upward spiral has started again, I hope. :greengrin

--------
22-09-2011, 03:26 PM
But I have to say that our odds in the League Cup this season have shortened quite a bit this evening.

Oh, well - it was a nice thought while it lasted... :rolleyes: