PDA

View Full Version : Sol Bamba

YehButNoBut
20-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Sol's been doing very well this season for Leicester and is being lined up for an improved contract to ward off interest from the EPL.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7190976,00.html

Like the quote from Erikson below, sums him up I suppose.

"Sometimes you are close to a heart attack when he wants to control the ball like Franz Beckenbauer, but I don't think he made any mistakes at all last Saturday. He was fantastic."

Just wish as a club we had showed some ambition and tried to keep Bamba along with Liam Miller & Riordan, I know they were not perfect but they were a lot better than what we have now and Hibs have never showed any ambition by holding on to our better players which, IMO, is a big part of the reason we are where we are now.

sahib
20-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Sol's been doing very well this season for Leicester and is being lined up for an improved contract to ward off interest from the EPL.

"Sometimes you are close to a heart attack when he wants to control the ball like Franz Beckenbauer, but I don't think he made any mistakes at all last Saturday. He was fantastic."

Just wish as a club we had showed some ambition and tried to keep Bamba along with Liam Miller & Riordan, I know they were not perfect but they were a lot better than what we have now and Hibs have never showed any ambition by holding on to our better players which, IMO, is a big part of the reason we are where we are now.

He was a bomb scare - so they said.

Elephant Stone
20-09-2011, 05:33 PM

Bamba was a top class player for sure but his heart wasn't here so there was no point in trying to force him to stay. I think it was time for Riordan to move on aswell, and I never really rated Miller to be honest, better than our current options but by no means all that good.

Bayern Bru
20-09-2011, 05:34 PM
He had a huge attitude problem, as well as commitment issues, exemplified perfectly by needing a 2 week rest after his exertions sitting on the bench at the last World Cup. He thought he was bigger than the club.

Look at the stick Palsson gets on here for having an attitude problem. Plus, with Bamba, you didn't know if you were going to get the 'Beckenbauer' Bamba, or the Bamba.

We were probably right to get rid of him, and Miller if I'm being honest. Miller's attitude stank as well, which went hand in hand with his lack of bottle for any 50-50 or even 60-40 (in his favour) challenge he avoided.

Besides, Miller never delivered the sort of form we thought/believed he was capable of.

I hear what you're saying about ambition, but we've never been a club held to ransom by any player in recent years - although you're probably right in that they're better than what we have at the moment.

Elephant Stone
20-09-2011, 05:39 PM
He had a huge attitude problem, as well as commitment issues, exemplified perfectly by needing a 2 week rest after his exertions sitting on the bench at the last World Cup. He thought he was bigger than the club.

Look at the stick Palsson gets on here for having an attitude problem. Plus, with Bamba, you didn't know if you were going to get the 'Beckenbauer' Bamba, or the Bamba.

We were probably right to get rid of him, and Miller if I'm being honest. Miller's attitude stank as well, which went hand in hand with his lack of bottle for any 50-50 or even 60-40 (in his favour) challenge he avoided.

Besides, Miller never delivered the sort of form we thought/believed he was capable of.

I hear what you're saying about ambition, but we've never been a club held to ransom by any player in recent years - although you're probably right in that they're better than what we have at the moment.

What do you mean by the latter Bamba? People always say this kind of thing but I don't ever remember any 'bombscare' moments from him at all. Occasionally he'd get a rush of blood to the head and would decide to go on a little run with the ball but he very rarely, if even at all, lost it. With the exception of David Murphy I'd say Bamba looked our most composed and comfortable defender in recent times, he was brilliant.

Wotherspiniesta
20-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Anybody seen Oscar Lomax kicking around here lately?

Bayern Bru
20-09-2011, 05:54 PM
What do you mean by the latter Bamba? People always say this kind of thing but I don't ever remember any 'bombscare' moments from him at all. Occasionally he'd get a rush of blood to the head and would decide to go on a little run with the ball but he very rarely, if even at all, lost it. With the exception of David Murphy I'd say Bamba looked our most composed and comfortable defender in recent times, he was brilliant.

Just a very ordinary, error-prone defender. When he was with Dunfermline we used to comment on how humpty he looked at times. Whilst I think he looked better at Hibs, there were still times when he was posted missing at set pieces, or didn't pick up his man. He was probably one of our better defenders in recent times, I wouldn't argue with that, but he was still very unpredictable and prone to heart-in-mouth moments.

blackpoolhibs
20-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Bamba for me was the best centre half i have seen at easter road in my years of watching Hibs.

Yes he made the odd mistake, but he has it all, strength pace and power. Good in the air and decent on the ball.

I think he did out grow us, he wanted to play at a better level, and earn the money that entails.

His injury at the last world cup cost us a decent transfer fee.

Andy74
20-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Bamba for me was the best centre half i have seen at easter road in my years of watching Hibs.

Yes he made the odd mistake, but he has it all, strength pace and power. Good in the air and decent on the ball.

I think he did out grow us, he wanted to play at a better level, and earn the money that entails.

Best we will get for some time.

If him and Stokes were disruptive then great. Seems we only get results when people are being disruptive.

Jack
20-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Bamba for me was the best centre half i have seen at easter road in my years of watching Hibs.Yes he made the odd mistake, but he has it all, strength pace and power. Good in the air and decent on the ball.I think he did out grow us, he wanted to play at a better level, and earn the money that entails.His injury at the last world cup cost us a decent transfer fee. I'd agree, I loved his bombscare moments too.Like the others mentioned he didn't want to be at Hibs so I'll thank them for their time with us and having moved anywhere other than Glasgow I'll wish them all the best.

Tricla
20-09-2011, 09:04 PM
I'd agree, I loved his bombscare moments too.Like the others mentioned he didn't want to be at Hibs so I'll thank them for their time with us and having moved anywhere other than Glasgow I'll wish them all the best.

And the PBS of course. :wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
20-09-2011, 09:29 PM

:agree:

I concur. Best centre-half I've ever seen at Easter Road. I can even recall a performance in midfield against Rangers where he was an absolute collossus.

magnificent_seven
21-09-2011, 09:29 AM
I know we never had the option at the time but I thought he was better in midfield than defence. Was brilliant at breaking up the play. As far as bombscare moments go, does nobody remember the step over in the 6 yard box against Rangers?! Novo just about scored!

.Sean.
21-09-2011, 11:59 AM
I've always maintained he was a far better holding midfielder for us than he was at center-half. He was simply outstanding during his first season with us.

Baw187
21-09-2011, 12:03 PM
I've always maintained he was a far better holding midfielder for us than he was at center-half. He was simply outstanding during his first season with us.

While I agree he was good at holding midfielder, we got more value out of him in defense as he was a much better centre half than anyone else we could have played there at the time.

Albion Hibs
21-09-2011, 01:09 PM
I thought he was rank in midfield, that is why every opposition player stood off him as they knew he was never going to find as pass!

I would take Rob Jones over him any day of the week, not even a question as far as I am concerned.

I hope he does well down there, he touted himself for his move for long enough, so glad he got it.

hibsbollah
21-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Ive no doubt he'll end up in the english premier league or another top league in europe. Could never ever see the evidence for the bombscare jibes.

Stevie Reid
21-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Contract signed: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15000890.stm

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Not really a relevant statement to say that they club doesn't show any ambition. If anything, it shows that we are fairly sharp traders within the level that we operate. In all honesty, what could we have done financially to stop Bamba leaving the club? That goes for all the players that we have sold on. Looking back, the only gripe about Bamba is that he left on the cheap and so, in hindsight, did Fletch. Liam Miller stopped showing the ambition required to earn the money that he was already being paid, so offering him more cash would have been throwing good money after bad imho.

LancashireHibby
21-09-2011, 03:09 PM

Agree with absolutely every word of that. We know Bamba is capable of good performances, but they were barely once in a blue moon for us.