PDA

View Full Version : Throw ins

down the slope
20-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Anyone notice on Saturday the state we get in with throw ins ?, for most teams it's a chance to retain possession and build from there but i think we give the ball away nine times out of ten. The ball is mostly thrown down the line and lost or chucked at someone's throat at ninety miles an hour, this speaks volumes about the level of coaching at ER and it has to be said it's been going on for years. As for free kicks that are floated into the box don't get me started , you do wonder what goes on at the training ground.

scott7_0(Prague)
20-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Anyone notice on Saturday the state we get in with throw ins ?, for most teams it's a chance to retain possession and build from there but i think we give the ball away nine times out of ten. The ball is mostly thrown down the line and lost or chucked at someone's throat at ninety miles an hour, this speaks volumes about the level of coaching at ER and it has to be said it's been going on for years. As for free kicks that are floated into the box don't get me started , you do wonder what goes on at the training ground.

For as long as i remember Hibs have always had an issue with throw in's.....

calumhibee1
20-09-2011, 09:29 AM

We've always been like that from throw ins. It really is a joke. As for free kicks getting floated into the box, that annoys me aswell. Everyone has been raving about Ashley Youngs delivery for Man Utd this season, and that's because he whips the ball in, floating it is a load of pish.

truehibernian
20-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Always been a bugbear of mine, but interesting you talk about other teams being able to retain possession better. That's quite easy if you watch Hibs marking from set pieces. The players literally stand off and more often than not ball watch. On Saturday it was infuriating seeing our players watch the ball go out of play and then completely switch off from the thrower. Not one of our players gets tight to their man. Contrast that to when Hibs get a throw-in, and again, more often than not, teams are quick to mark and react, and are up the erchie of the player demanding the ball.

Set pieces are simply awful at Easter Road at present, for and against. It's criminal that our free kicks and corners are repeatedly not clearing the first man for example. Whenever we get a free kick on the edge of the box these days I can happily go to the toilet/get a bovril/check my coupon, knowing that the danger will be easily cleared as we won't even get past the wall (or floated high and long past the far post, meaning the ball boy has more chance of scoring)

Sprouleflyer
20-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Always been a bugbear of mine, but interesting you talk about other teams being able to retain possession better. That's quite easy if you watch Hibs marking from set pieces. The players literally stand off and more often than not ball watch. On Saturday it was infuriating seeing our players watch the ball go out of play and then completely switch off from the thrower. Not one of our players gets tight to their man. Contrast that to when Hibs get a throw-in, and again, more often than not, teams are quick to mark and react, and are up the erchie of the player demanding the ball.

Set pieces are simply awful at Easter Road at present, for and against. It's criminal that our free kicks and corners are repeatedly not clearing the first man for example. Whenever we get a free kick on the edge of the box these days I can happily go to the toilet/get a bovril/check my coupon, knowing that the danger will be easily cleared as we won't even get past the wall (or floated high and long past the far post, meaning the ball boy has more chance of scoring)

:agree:

We don't even go looking to retain the ball from a throw in. Most of the time only 1 player makes himself available for the ball and he tends to be closely marked.

When we have a throw in in the opponents half, why do we not have 3-4 players making runs, pulling defenders and giving options for the player taking the throw in?

Seems pretty basic stuff to me!

Craig_in_Prague
20-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Unless the players are instructed to just chuck it down the line, why don't the players themselves sort this out. If I play football and take a throw-in, you wait until someone moves to recieve the ball, or are at least are able to 1st time pass it back to you. How the hell professional footballers cannot carry out this, is most irritating indeed. But I'd agree the coaching team should solve it as the players seem unable to think.

Throw-ins, set pieces, passing the ball. Can we do anything?
Seems to me we're purely a bog standard side that will rely on opportunist goals from GOC to save us. It won't be enough!

Onceinawhile
20-09-2011, 11:39 AM
We scored on Saturday from a throw in.

IanM
20-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Throw in's are nowhere near as bad as our corners.. high slow lofted balls into the box.. easiest thing to defend against..

Albion Hibs
20-09-2011, 12:18 PM
This has been an area I think we have struggled with this season, most noticeable in the ICT game when we ended up reverting to throwing down the line to avoid creating a problem for ourselves, we seem to still be doing this, which I suppose is sensible if we are struggling to hold onto the ball.

We also seem to fail to put a lot of pressure on other teams taking throw ins, they seem to easily retain the ball which allows them to build and work from it.

That along with set pieces are things we need to work on. Set pieces are something we used to be strong at especially when Riordan was concerned.

brydekirk
20-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Unless the players are instructed to just chuck it down the line, why don't the players themselves sort this out. If I play football and take a throw-in, you wait until someone moves to recieve the ball, or are at least are able to 1st time pass it back to you. How the hell professional footballers cannot carry out this, is most irritating indeed. But I'd agree the coaching team should solve it as the players seem unable to think.Throw-ins, set pieces, passing the ball. Can we do anything?Seems to me we're purely a bog standard side that will rely on opportunist goals from GOC to save us. It won't be enough! spot on btw, plus 70% of the team dinnae want the ball. This hiding, no wanting the baw crept into oor game last season aswell and noticed it at the aberdeen game tae.

bandylegs_jLeighton
20-09-2011, 12:31 PM
The first time I noticed a problem with throw ins was when Alen Orman started playing right back.

I used to squirm uncomfortably in my seat waiting for somebody to show, and for him to actually release the ball.

hibsbollah
20-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Throw in's are nowhere near as bad as our corners.. high slow lofted balls into the box.. easiest thing to defend against.. I cant remember our last decent corner taker. Zemmama and Deeks were very unpredictable but at least you'd know theyd occasionally get one whipped in right on the back post in line with the penalty spot, hard to defend. Rankin last season was a joke, and Jimmy Scott this year looks like hes trying to convert a try at rugby. Did Spoony not take them very poorly for a while as well?

IanM
20-09-2011, 02:17 PM
I cant remember our last decent corner taker. Zemmama and Deeks were very unpredictable but at least you'd know theyd occasionally get one whipped in right on the back post in line with the penalty spot, hard to defend. Rankin last season was a joke, and Jimmy Scott this year looks like hes trying to convert a try at rugby. Did Spoony not take them very poorly for a while as well?

the last player we had was Zitelli, he used to ping it in with some zip.. Scott Smith looks like he can hit the ball well with his left

BonnieFitbaTeam
20-09-2011, 02:19 PM
We have been woeful when we've had throw ins for as long as I've been watching Hibs...It's almost a disadvantage for us to get a throw in!

Ditto.

In all my years of watching football I have never seen any team, at any age group, at any level perform so woefully at throw-ins as Hibs.

Andy74
20-09-2011, 04:01 PM

Hibs are to set pieces as women are to parking. Just never going to happen.

stubru59
20-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Hibs are to set pieces as women are to parking. Just never going to happen.

Now, now, my dear, you'll have the PC brigade on your case.

thebakerboy
20-09-2011, 04:58 PM
I've been watching Hibs since the 1950's and throw ins have nearly always been a problem just not the Hibs way to take a decent throw in.:dunno: