PDA

View Full Version : Need for a battler or something else ?

persevere1875
19-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Like most on here, Hibs make me pull my hair out, they've done it for years so its no great surprise, its always been a rollercoaster and yes there have been great times but the over riding factor has always been there stupendous ability to **** on you from a great height just when your starting to believe, not really the point of the post but I thought I'd get it off my chest anyway.

That said, when I look at our current squad on paper, I struggle to recognise them when they get on the pitch. I'm not claiming there the greatest squad we've ever assembled, but realistically they shouldnt be anywhere near the position and standard we currently find ourselves in.

It led me like others to try and figure out where its all going wrong. Some say its Calderwood and whilst I agree he's hardly the most charismatic character ive ever seen, nor the most media friendly or even from outward appearance the most motivating, I cant agree with those who think he's a bad coach. I just dont buy the line that a guy who's had success in other clubs, and is/was being actively courted by Forest and Brum, hardly the most insignificant of Midlands clubs, because of his coaching abilities, can be classed as a bad coach.

Some say its the whole set up at ER, Rod Petrie being the main culprit, again I cant buy that one, Lets be fair, Ive no doubt he's not a saint but in some respects he's done wonders for Hibs, no doubt he's made some bad decisions, dont we all, but as others have pointed out, he and the board have backed respective managers when requested to within their financial means.

Which brings me to my other conclusion, Do we just need a Battler, is it that simple, do we need someone who'll sit in the middle all day long and kick the living crap (hypothetically speaking) out of the opposite team, mix it up and most importantly set the tempo for the rest of the team, Do we need a leader, because when you look at the current team on the pitch, that to me seems to be the missing link, no-one steps up to the mark, goes banging into a tackle and says there you go, thats the desire we need, stop pissing about and get stuck in, no-one cranks them up on the pitch and no matter what you do on the training pitch and what formation and instructions you go out there with if there's no leader on the pitch your wasting your time.