PDA

View Full Version : How do we sort out the left side of defence

AlbertK86
19-09-2011, 07:50 PM
How many times are we going to lose goals this season down our left side.

Booth and Hanlon are having a horrible time at the moment. Both are continually ball watching and getting caught out of position.

They both need a rest big time for their own sakes but unfortunately we are short on suitable replacements.

After a few weeks rest Booth has to be moved further up into left midfield where he can put his skills to use. Never in a month of Sundays is he a defender. If we continue with him at LB just now we are going to kill his confidence which I can see gradually seeping away each week. This could ruin a potentially great player and at the same time contribute to our own downfall.

As far as Hanlon is concernedIi'm not sure he will ever make it as it a centre half due to his lack of physicality in build and in the challenge.

We need a short term solution and I'm beaten on what we do due to lack of resources!!!

Anybody got any bright ideas ?

hiberactive
19-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Totally agree with this 100% and think that teams are targeting our left side due to the weaknesses.

AlbertK86
19-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Totally agree with this 100% and think that teams are targeting our left side due to the weaknesses.

Yep and they will continue to do so.... surely CC must realise this. I must be desperate as I have even considered whether we should be trying Lewis there again !!

Future17
19-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Hanlon has been one of our best players so far this season IMO.

However, I agree that he isn't getting much protection from left-back. Booth looks a great prospect but perhaps as a LM not a LB.

Unfortunately, given that Calderwood has completely failed to sign a RB since he's been at the club, I don't expect him to address the LB problem any time soon.

AlbertK86
19-09-2011, 08:14 PM

However, I agree that he isn't getting much protection from left-back. Booth looks a great prospect but perhaps as a LM not a LB.

Unfortunately, given that Calderwood has completely failed to sign a RB since he's been at the club, I don't expect him to address the LB problem any time soon.

Sorry cannae agree about Hanlon. Too powderpuff in my opinion but respect your opinion as that's what this forum's all about.

Saying that there's not much competition for best players of the season so far !!!

blackpoolhibs
19-09-2011, 08:25 PM

I too cant agree with you regarding Hanlon. IMO he's been poor all season, and to be fair again imo, last season was not much better.

There's high hopes for this boy, but he needs to buck his ideas up quickly, and start showing us this potential i keep hearing he has.

Future17
19-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Sorry cannae agree about Hanlon. Too powderpuff in my opinion but respect your opinion as that's what this forum's all about.

Saying that there's not much competition for best players of the season so far !!!

True.

Re: Hanlon and your OP. His positioning isn't always perfect I'll admit, but this is not a problem caused by him, it's a problem caused by the lack of coherence in our defence as a unit (i.e. he's sometimes having to cover other folks' :asshole: probably because Booth is an inexperienced LB and Towell has never been a RB.

Watch Hanlon in our next game in terms of headers won, interceptions made and his simple use of the ball and retention of possession. As an all-round central defender, I think he's streets ahead of anything we've had for a good few seasons.

AlbertK86
19-09-2011, 08:32 PM
True.

Re: Hanlon and your OP. His positioning isn't always perfect I'll admit, but this is not a problem caused by him, it's a problem caused by the lack of coherence in our defence as a unit (i.e. he's sometimes having to cover other folks' :asshole: probably because Booth is an inexperienced LB and Towell has never been a RB.

Watch Hanlon in our next game in terms of headers won, interceptions made and his simple use of the ball and retention of possession. As an all-round central defender, I think he's streets ahead of anything we've had for a good few seasons.

Take on board what your saying but there has been nowt to be streets ahead of!! Last decent central defence we had was Caldwell and Murray

PISTOL1875
19-09-2011, 09:13 PM
How many times are we going to lose goals this season down our left side.

Booth and Hanlon are having a horrible time at the moment. Both are continually ball watching and getting caught out of position.

They both need a rest big time for their own sakes but unfortunately we are short on suitable replacements.

After a few weeks rest Booth has to be moved further up into left midfield where he can put his skills to use. Never in a month of Sundays is he a defender. If we continue with him at LB just now we are going to kill his confidence which I can see gradually seeping away each week. This could ruin a potentially great player and at the same time contribute to our own downfall.

As far as Hanlon is concernedIi'm not sure he will ever make it as it a centre half due to his lack of physicality in build and in the challenge.

We need a short term solution and I'm beaten on what we do due to lack of resources!!!

Anybody got any bright ideas ?

Murray to LCB

Hanlon to LB

Booth to LM..

Simples...

Dinkydoo
19-09-2011, 09:17 PM
It doesn't really solve our problems at the moment but I don't think that putting Towell and Booth on Left and Right Mid, whilst putting Murray and a fit Hart at Left and Right Back respectively would be such a bad idea.

It would add a bit of pace and skill to the midfield and experience to our defence.

Stack

Hart --- O'Hanlon --- Hanlon ---Murray

Towel --- Scott --- Osbourne --- Booth

Griffths/Sproule --- O'Connor

Probably not ideal to have players so slow at fullback but as long as Towell and Booth provided cover it could work - how much worse can we get?

PISTOL1875
19-09-2011, 09:24 PM
It doesn't really solve our problems at the moment but I don't think that putting Towell and Booth on Left and Right Mid, whilst putting Murray and a fit Hart at Left and Right Back respectively would be such a bad idea.

It would add a bit of pace and skill to the midfield and experience to our defence.

Stack

Hart --- O'Hanlon --- Hanlon ---Murray

Towel --- Scott --- Osbourne --- Booth

Griffths/Sproule --- O'Connor

Probably not ideal to have players so slow at fullback but as long as Towell and Booth provided cover it could work - how much worse can we get?

These players in these position is a receipe for disaster....

Dinkydoo
19-09-2011, 09:25 PM
These players in these position is a receipe for disaster....

Probably :faf: but we're getting desperate.

Bishop Hibee
19-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Given that Galbraith has given no indication of being good enough for the left midfield/wing role, I'd play Booth at left midfield with Murray left back.

Why did CC bring in Osbourne who plays in an area we have lots of cover for as opposed to a left sided midfielder :confused: . Scott drifts in field which gives Booth no help whatsoever.

PISTOL1875
19-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Probably :faf: but we're getting desperate.

Murray is slow enough.. Put him up against a winger with pace..

Hart ?? Moving on.............

Andy74
19-09-2011, 09:31 PM
The boat has sailed on this one. Nowt we can do until yet another transfer window.

Jonnyboy
19-09-2011, 09:35 PM

I actually feel a bit sorry for Hanlon and I disagree that he's not had any good games this season. His problem is that he's been inconsistent and if you add in the fact that O'Hanlon ain't the great white hope many were predicting it makes Paul's job all the harder.

Still, opinions are the name of the game :greengrin

hibbysam
19-09-2011, 09:57 PM
might just be me but im struggling to see where booth was at fault for either goal on saturday?

The first was scored from the centre of the 18yard line while the second Sproule didn't cover the lad thomson's run who had a tap in at the back post, Booth had quite rightly tucked in to cover any danger in the 6yard box.

IMO the first was a total lack of concentration as a whole after going 2 up and the second was sproule for not covering the players run..

Future17
19-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Murray to LCB

Hanlon to LB

Booth to LM..

Simples...

Murray is finished as a starting XI player.

Dashing Bob S
20-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Murray is finished as a starting XI player.

I agree. Sad but true.

Stevie Reid
20-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Even last season when he was in great form, many teams got mileage out of diagonal balls in behind Booth - he isn't great in the air and very weak in the tackle, and therefore has no place in our back four, unfortunately. Left midfield has to be his position.

Hanlon I do have some sympathy for, he's had too much responsibility too soon, what with being captain and the oldest in our back four for much of last season when he just turned 21.

Both players are in real danger of having the stuffing knocked out of them in every possible way, and I fear neither may recover to fulfill their considerable potential unless things change soon. Our manager should be protecting these players, but he is damaging them greatly.

I think Murray at centre half is a goer for the moment - we'd just never be able to play a high line. He could still play left back some games too.