PDA

View Full Version : An observation

Mark79
19-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Anyone else noticed how drastically unfit/overweight several of our squad appear to be?

Towell,oconnor,agogo, osbourne and thornhill all spring to mind as being either overweight or well off the pace or both.

What exactly did we do pre season and at training?

Onceinawhile
19-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Towell and osbourne, weren't with us for pre season, o Connor has scored in almost every game and thornhill is currently injured...

Hibs Class
19-09-2011, 06:44 PM
I thought O'Connor has looked pretty fit in all the games I've seen this season.

Bobo
19-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Anyone else noticed how drastically unfit/overweight several of our squad appear to be?

Towell,oconnor,agogo, osbourne and thornhill all spring to mind as being either overweight or well off the pace or both.

Not enough obviously ....fitness is an atribute that our players have been sadly lacking for the past 3 or 4 seasons now!!

They're meant to be athletes but none of them appear to be anywhere near peak fitness, probably due to a combination of poor training methods and a lack of application / poor life styles.

:rolleyes:

tamig
19-09-2011, 06:45 PM

Considering most of these guys weren't even signed when pre-season finished I don't think there's a lot you can say about them really :rolleyes:

And are you really questioning GOC's fitness? Sure he looks a bit bulky round the erse but I think his running and workrate cannot be called into question. He's looked tremendous so far imo.

brydekirk
19-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Not enough obviously ....fitness is an atribute that our players have been sadly lacking for the past 3 or 4 seasons now!!They're meant to be athletes but none of them appear to be anywhere near peak fitness, probably due to a combination of poor training methods and a lack of application / poor life styles.:rolleyes: first thing steven fletcher mentioned when he moved to barnsley was about how much harder he had to work in training.

brydekirk
19-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Not enough obviously ....fitness is an atribute that our players have been sadly lacking for the past 3 or 4 seasons now!!They're meant to be athletes but none of them appear to be anywhere near peak fitness, probably due to a combination of poor training methods and a lack of application / poor life styles.:rolleyes: first thing steven fletcher mentioned when he moved to barnsley was about how much harder he had to work in training.

Mark79
19-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Considering most of these guys weren't even signed when pre-season finished I don't think there's a lot you can say about them really :rolleyes:

And are you really questioning GOC's fitness? Sure he looks a bit bulky round the erse but I think his running and workrate cannot be called into question. He's looked tremendous so far imo.

Surely players have a level of fitness they maintain whilst even unattached? They need a club so surely they ain't sitting eating pies.

Even so they should only be a couple of weeks training from being fit at any point. Point I make is that most of the above have played nearly every game or pre season match with us or someone else and they still look overweight and slow.

Towell looks well short, osbourne looks of the pace and agogo is like a barrel. Garry has been scoring the goals granted but so he should do when he was our lone striker for a number of matches. He still looks too heavy.

Jonnyboy
19-09-2011, 09:12 PM
first thing steven fletcher mentioned when he moved to barnsley was about how much harder he had to work in training.

first thing steven fletcher mentioned when he moved to barnsley was about how much harder he had to work in training.

Crikey he moved there twice and never told anyone :wink::greengrin

McKenzie
19-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Crikey he moved there twice and never told anyone :wink::greengrin Not trying to be a smart a**e but he moved to burnley not barnsley

Holmesdale Hibs
19-09-2011, 10:10 PM
They're meant to be athletes but none of them appear to be anywhere near peak fitness, probably due to a combination of poor training methods and a lack of application / poor life styles.

:rolleyes:

These are exactly the reasons that I'm crap at football but unfortunately I'm paid less to sit on my erse all day.

If we're noticeably less fit than other teams then that is completely unacceptable. Good fitness should come for free and being overweight should not be an issue for any professional footballer unless they have some unusual circumstances. Injury fair enough but someone in our first team should not be overweight, pre-season or not.

Jonnyboy
19-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Not trying to be a smart a**e but he moved to burnley not barnsley

I know - maybe it was me being a smartarse :greengrin

Future17
19-09-2011, 10:14 PM

Not trying to be a smart a**e but he moved to burnley not barnsley

But the run from Barnsley to Burnley every morning was probably why the training seemed harder. :greengrin

Bristolhibby
20-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Do we not have a fitness & conditioning coach? If not why not.

Personalized plans for all the players, dietition aswell, to make sure they are eating correctly.

Dashing Bob S
20-09-2011, 11:26 AM

Ah, but didn't Caldo say that this was really our preseason?

So it means that our real season will be in the off-season. Perhaps it might be an idea to line up some glamour friendlies to give us some fun and notable scalps pre-season, before we get to the next season, which will, of course, really be next preseason, and therefore not count, just like this season.

NeilOrrSquareBa
20-09-2011, 11:54 AM
For me the most disappointing forward I've seen this season is Sodje. Last season he was all about movement, and causing disruption along the oppostion back line. This season he's ben totally introverted and uninterested.
Whass'up wi him eh?

loanheadhibby
20-09-2011, 12:05 PM

I've heard a few times that Gaz is supposedly carrying some weight. Wished I was carrying the same weight as him.

Seen him warm up saturday pre game and he looks as fit as a butchers dug. I was just glad my mrs wasnae at the game or she might have asked me to shape up like him.

easty
20-09-2011, 12:16 PM

I dont know why that would be an excuse? If these guys had planned to stop playing football in the summer and go get a "real job" then I could understand the lack of fitness. Clearly though, they would have known that they were planning on getting back into football and should have had the professionalism to go out and keep themselves fit, in fact not just fit, they should have been out making sure they were the fittest they had ever been in an attempt to get back into football at the highest level they could.

It's a shame that they were obviously too busy playing on thier playstations, knowing that there are plenty teams out there who would happily sign someone who doesn't know how to keep himself fit without a manager or coach telling him to.

easty
20-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I've heard a few times that Gaz is supposedly carrying some weight. Wished I was carrying the same weight as him.

Seen him warm up saturday pre game and he looks as fit as a butchers dug. I was just glad my mrs wasnae at the game or she might have asked me to shape up like him.

Couple of grams? :devil:

hibsbollah
20-09-2011, 01:22 PM
O'Connor is looking full of running and is scoring regularly and late in games. Can't believe anyone can call his fitness into question to be honest. Osbourne also looks fit to me, although hes got an unusual rynning style which might make him look slower than he is.Agogo: totally agree with you, doesnt look fit at all and looks like he'll need time to shift the weight as well. Persevering with him is Colin's strangest decision yet IMO.

Craig_in_Prague
20-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Ah, but didn't Caldo say that this was really our preseason?

So it means that our real season will be in the off-season. Perhaps it might be an idea to line up some glamour friendlies to give us some fun and notable scalps pre-season, before we get to the next season, which will, of course, really be next preseason, and therefore not count, just like this season.

:greengrin

ancient hibee
20-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Fitness between the ears is what counts.If they don't know when or where to run they look slower than the opposition who are probably reading the game better.

hibsbollah
21-09-2011, 06:49 AM
O'Connor is looking full of running and is scoring regularly and late in games. Can't believe anyone can call his fitness into question to be honest. Osbourne also looks fit to me, although hes got an unusual rynning style which might make him look slower than he is.Agogo: totally agree with you, doesnt look fit at all and looks like he'll need time to shift the weight as well. Persevering with him is Colin's strangest decision yet IMO. Yet again, Garry scores near the death to save us. From all accounts he was full of running throughout, including in injury time.Can we please put this rubbish about him being 'unfit' to bed? Total, unadulterated pish.

hibs0666
21-09-2011, 07:02 AM

Well done to the fatsos last night who lasted 2 hours of end to end football and ended up looking the fitter team.

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Yet again, Garry scores near the death to save us. From all accounts he was full of running throughout, including in injury time.Can we please put this rubbish about him being 'unfit' to bed? Total, unadulterated pish.

And a lot of people who were dismissing cocaine as a dangerous, self-indulgent drug should also now be taking a long, hard look at themselves and hanging their heads in shame. Funny, but I don't see any of the knockers coming out with this ill-informed nonsense now.

hibsbollah
21-09-2011, 10:27 AM
And a lot of people who were dismissing cocaine as a dangerous, self-indulgent drug should also now be taking a long, hard look at themselves and hanging their heads in shame. Funny, but I don't see any of the knockers coming out with this ill-informed nonsense now.

In all seriousness Bob, i doubt hes using cocaine anymore, or if he is its very infrequently. Which is good news for lots of reasons.

Dashing Bob S
21-09-2011, 10:46 AM

In all seriousness Bob, i doubt hes using cocaine anymore, or if he is its very infrequently. Which is good news for lots of reasons.

Watching him last night, I'd be very surprised if he was abusing anything other than the treadmill at the East Mains gym.

Jack
21-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Yet again, Garry scores near the death to save us. From all accounts he was full of running throughout, including in injury time.Can we please put this rubbish about him being 'unfit' to bed? Total, unadulterated pish.

Ah, nah hibsbollah ... but you see someone spotted a lardarse at the Berwick pre-season game. :faf:

If its Hibs or a Hibs player, if its true or not, if its negative it must be true – forever. :rules:

Garry could become a size zero model and do you what? There would still be somebody …. :agree:

Still you only have 6,000 posts I’m sure you'll get the hang of it :rolleyes:

Andy74
21-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Ah, nah hibsbollah ... but you see someone spotted a lardarse at the Berwick pre-season game. :faf:

If its Hibs or a Hibs player, if its true or not, if its negative it must be true – forever. :rules:

Garry could become a size zero model and do you what? There would still be somebody …. :agree:

Still you only have 6,000 posts I’m sure you'll get the hang of it :rolleyes:

On a realgted topic did anyone hear the line on that sky programme looking at Ronaldo and what makes him the player he is - it said he had 3% less body fat than a supermodel. Quite surprising.

Future17
21-09-2011, 06:51 PM
On a realgted topic did anyone hear the line on that sky programme looking at Ronaldo and what makes him the player he is - it said he had 3% less body fat than a supermodel. Quite surprising.

Perhaps someone has told him that body fat is chocolate and he has actually started to eat himself.

HibsMax
21-09-2011, 07:17 PM

Did they give the numbers? Women have higher bf% than men anyway (sorry, it's true - obviously not in all cases, I am speaking in general). Having too low a bf% can actually be dangerous.

tamig
21-09-2011, 08:54 PM
I dont know why that would be an excuse? If these guys had planned to stop playing football in the summer and go get a "real job" then I could understand the lack of fitness. Clearly though, they would have known that they were planning on getting back into football and should have had the professionalism to go out and keep themselves fit, in fact not just fit, they should have been out making sure they were the fittest they had ever been in an attempt to get back into football at the highest level they could.

It's a shame that they were obviously too busy playing on thier playstations, knowing that there are plenty teams out there who would happily sign someone who doesn't know how to keep himself fit without a manager or coach telling him to.

The OP was questioning Hibs pre-season training and went on to list a few names who weren't even there. That's the point I was making.

Besides, it's very hard for a player to train on his own and keep up the levels of fitness that are aquired during a hard pre-season. And again, there's a big difference between being fit and match-fit. Bit of a shabby comment suggesting they were all too busy playing playstations and stuff. How do you know what they were doing?

Walter
21-09-2011, 09:54 PM
The OP was questioning Hibs pre-season training and went on to list a few names who weren't even there. That's the point I was making.

Besides, it's very hard for a player to train on his own and keep up the levels of fitness that are aquired during a hard pre-season. And again, there's a big difference between being fit and match-fit. Bit of a shabby comment suggesting they were all too busy playing playstations and stuff. How do you know what they were doing?

Agree.

Some of them are bound to have Xbox's.

Future17
22-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Agree.

Some of them are bound to have Xbox's.

Xbox's what?

Sodje_18
22-09-2011, 08:41 PM

If he was skinny you'd be calling him too lightweight. Terrible example as our 'overweight' striker is carrying us right now :rolleyes:

easty
22-09-2011, 10:45 PM

The OP commented that the first team looked over-weight and drastically unfit.

The bit in bold, I totally disagree. They know what pre-season entails, they know what to do without having someone to tell them. They should be in peak physical condition....and they're not. They have nobody to blame but themselves for that, barring any injuries theyd been carrying of course.

I'd agree that match fitness and generally being fit are two different things, match fitness is more technical. I wouldnt expect any of the players to be match fit without games.

WellingtonHibby
23-09-2011, 12:11 AM
These are exactly the reasons that I'm crap at football but unfortunately I'm paid less to sit on my erse all day.If we're noticeably less fit than other teams then that is completely unacceptable. Good fitness should come for free and being overweight should not be an issue for any professional footballer unless they have some unusual circumstances. Injury fair enough but someone in our first team should not be overweight, pre-season or not. saw Mr Wotherspoon on twitter chatting about how much he had enjoyed his friday night chicken nuggets and chips. Probaby lot in most healthy eating manuals.

Septimus
23-09-2011, 03:37 AM
It would be interesting if someone would post a "Typical Day in the Life of a Hibs Player"

How much time do they actually spend training? Collins clearly identified a weakness in the fitness regime at Hibs and this was doubtless due to his experience at a higher level. The Fletcher quote above seems to confirm that, if you want to step up a level, then fitness is one of the required ingredients.

Dashing Bob S
23-09-2011, 08:17 AM
saw Mr Wotherspoon on twitter chatting about how much he had enjoyed his friday night chicken nuggets and chips. Probaby lot in most healthy eating manuals.

Pow! Another swathe of grey hairs on John Collins' head.

Baker9
23-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Xbox's what?

:faf:

WellingtonHibby
23-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Pow! Another swathe of grey hairs on John Collins' head. pow! Right in the kisser!