PDA

View Full Version : Must read football books

CFC
19-09-2011, 09:28 AM
What football books have you read that you would recommend? I recently read Maradonas official autobiography and it was disappointing tbh. It was rambling, Fever Pitch is superb really captures the obsessive nature of football fans and I can recommend "All played out" by pete davis, a great book on Italia 90. Which would you recommend?

--------
19-09-2011, 09:38 AM
What football books have you read that you would recommend? I recently read Maradonas official autobiography and it was disappointing tbh. It was rambling, Fever Pitch is superb really captures the obsessive nature of football fans and I can recommend "All played out" by pete davis, a great book on Italia 90. Which would you recommend?

Probably the most riveting book about football I've read is "Dynamo - Defending the Honour of Kiev" by Andy Dougan, about the Dynamo Kiev team and the games they played against German teams during the Second World War.

It's just recently come out in paperback, and you can get it from Amazon UK.

I'd recommend it 100%.

YehButNoBut
19-09-2011, 09:47 AM
The Damned Utd (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/The_Damned_Utd), a largely fictional book based on the author's interpretation of Brian Clough (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Brian_Clough)'s tenure as manager of Leeds United (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Leeds_United_A.F.C.) :thumbsup:

Del Boy
19-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Damned united, miracle of castel Di sangro are excellent

goosano
19-09-2011, 09:52 AM
A Season With Verona by Tim Parks-he follows Hellas Verona round the country for a season. Brilliant descriptions of the hard core supporters of Verona and travels to away games.

Cocaine&Caviar
19-09-2011, 09:54 AM
All Played Out - Pete Davies, great account of Italia '90 for England, only half way but very enjoyable thus far.

YehButNoBut
19-09-2011, 10:01 AM
3 other good ones are below: -

Fever Pitch (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0140293442?ie=UTF8&tag=et00d-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0140293442) by Nick Hornby. Fever Pitch is not a typical memoir–there are no chapters, just a series of match reports falling into three time frames (childhood, young adulthood, manhood). While watching the May 2, 1972, Reading v. Arsenal match, it became embarrassingly obvious to the then 15-year-old that his white, suburban, middle-class roots made him a wimp with no sense of identity: “Yorkshire men, Lancastrians, Scots, the Irish, blacks, the rich, the poor, even Americans and Australians have something they can sit in pubs and bars and weep about.” But a boy from Maidenhead could only dream of coming from a place with “its own tube station and West Indian community and terrible, insoluble social problems.”

Seeing Red (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0007262833?ie=UTF8&tag=et00d-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0007262833) by Graham Poll. A Premier League and international referee with 26 years of combined experience, Graham Poll handled some of the toughest games in soccer history—in total more than 1,500 matches—before his retirement in 2007. In this brilliant, no-holds-barred autobiography, Poll reveals what really goes on between the players in the tunnel before a match and in the dressing room after, and unveils the true nature behind the nicest and the nastiest figures in the game. Poll also shares private conversations with the likes of Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Sepp Blatter, and Steve McClaren, and the inside story behind controversial incidents involving Roy Keane, David Beckham, Patrick Vieira, and current England captain John Terry, among others. The infamous 2006 World Cup match—during which he failed to send off a Croatian player after he earned three yellow cards—that brought Poll home early in disgrace and nearly ruined his career is covered as well. Honest and eye-opening, this is a gripping behind the scenes look from one of the beautiful game’s most noted figures.

Among The Thugs (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0679745351?ie=UTF8&tag=et00d-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0679745351) by Bill Buford. The American-born editor of the British literary magazine Granta presents a horrifying, searing account of the young British men who turn soccer matches at home and abroad into battlegrounds and slaughterhouses. Buford, resident in England for the last 15 years, set out to get acquainted with these football supporters–as their fellow Britons call them in more measured moments–to learn what motivates their behavior. He discovered a group of violent, furiously nationalistic, xenophobic and racist young men, many employed in high-paying blue-collar jobs, who actively enjoy destroying property and hurting people, finding “absolute completeness” in the havoc they wreak. He also discerned strong elements of latent homosexuality in this destructive male bonding. Following his subjects from local matches to contests in Italy, Germany and Sardinia, Buford shows that they are the same wherever they go: pillaging soldiers fighting a self-created war.

McD
19-09-2011, 10:03 AM
The Ripple Effect, by Dominic Holland (I think :greengrin), very funny book which revolves around a lower league club in England.

Liberal Hibby
19-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Addicted by Tony Adams.

The Keeper
19-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Provided You Don't Kiss Me (20 Years With Brian Clough) by Duncan Hamilton.
Just one of the best books about football ever. It was the William Hill Sports Book of the Year in 2007.

tony
19-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Slightly different from all the good choices already mentioned but Inverting The Pyramid by Jonathon Wilson is the best football book i've ever read. Goes through the history of the game through a look at the changing tactics. Sounds a bit dull but is honestly isnt. Great, thrilling book and a mention of the Famous Five.

Steve-O
19-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Just read John Burridge's autobiography, actually pretty decent :agree:

Hibernia Na Eir
19-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Football, violence and Social Identity? interesting final chapter on a certain Edinburgh mob ;)

joe breezy
19-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Tim Park's A Season With Verona is really enjoyable especially if you have any interest in Italy, well written and interesting

As much about the culture if travelling fans as it is about kicking a ball about but all the better for that

Edit
Just realised goosano has already mentioned it, all the more reason for checking it out

Personally didn't enjoy Among the Thugs, didn't really understand the culture of casuals and the complexities in football fan culture

tamig
19-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Have read loads over the years but for something a bit closer to home, and something that really encapsulates what being a Hibby is all about, I loved Ted Brack's "There is a Bonny Fitba Team." Excellent read.

ShanksSaidNo
19-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Heartfelt by Aidan Smith

bigwheel
19-09-2011, 11:22 AM

Miracle of .... Is a stunning football book - superb! Also agree with the Year in Veronica book - two fantastic reads

There is also a Simon Kuper book - think it is football with the enemy - great read

Martin

Newry Hibs
19-09-2011, 11:28 AM
'Football against the Enemy' - various stories about football rivalries and why politics should be kept out of sport.

'Pointless' - Jeff Connor. Follows East Stirling for a year (a bit like Heartfelt).

The_Exile
19-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Also agree with the Year in Veronica

I endorse this product, a year in Veronica is something to experience before you die.

givescotlandfreedom
19-09-2011, 12:10 PM
'Football against the Enemy' - various stories about football rivalries and why politics should be kept out of sport.

:agree: Great read. Shows the heroism and villainy of human culture through true stories in football.

goosano
19-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Miracle of .... Is a stunning football book - superb! Also agree with the Year in Veronica book - two fantastic reads

There is also a Simon Kuper book - think it is football with the enemy - great read

Martin

Well, if you had a year in Veronica then it was probably good :greengrin

'A Season With Verona' is excellent

Musselbound
19-09-2011, 03:21 PM
There's a fictional element to this but it's a very good recent addition:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Countries-World-Steven-Porter/dp/0956078893/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307787727&sr=1-1

fat freddy
19-09-2011, 03:37 PM
The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw - The Robin Friday Story....by Paul McGuigan (ex oasis) and Paolo Hewit with an introduction by our very own Irvine Welsh.

a roller coaster story of a talented nutter in the mould of jim baxter, george best ect...only this guy played for reading and cardiff when they were rubbish...but he wasn't...he was blessed with extraordinary skills but as he was a total bampot so no one would take a chance on him...theres a famous picture of a player scoring and giving the goalie the v sign as he runs off laughing...that was Robin Friday....he dies an alky aged 38 in 1990 and his story will make you cry...i promise.

.Sean.
19-09-2011, 04:17 PM
If it's anything like the film, it's more a work of fiction than an autobiographical account, as many of the key occurances did not happen. Good watch nonetheless :agree:

bigwheel
19-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Well, if you had a year in Veronica then it was probably good :greengrin

'A Season With Verona' is excellent

Hahaha. Yes - that was another type of book! :-)

Winston Ingram
19-09-2011, 06:03 PM
If you like reading about tactics Inverting the Pyramid (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inverting-Pyramid-History-Football-Tactics/dp/1409102041/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316455231&sr=1-1) & Brilliant Orange (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brilliant-Orange-Neurotic-Genius-Football/dp/0747553106/ref=pd_sim_b1):agree:

Stonewall
19-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Got a number of mentions already but 'A Season with Verona' is the one I've enjoyed most.

sundo1875
19-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Being the best in the world by emile heskey

gackohibs
19-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Just finished "Last Minute Reilly" by the man himself. Cracking.

Also read Turnbulls "Having A Ball" both brilliant! :top marks

I also recommend "Heartfelt" By Aidan Smith.

erin go bragh
19-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Sunshine on leith

A book which some of our finest players tell what it was like to play for the famous hibernian [with an updated version including latapy and sauzee ]

:flag:

GGTTH

Broken Gnome
19-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Castel di Sangro is a ridiculously good story, hard to believe it is not fiction at times.

Extremely hard to engage with the writer though, comes across terribly. The computer game, trying to influence the manager.... ugh.

PatHead
19-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Nobby Styles book was a good read as was Brian Clough's authorised biography. Worst one I've read recently was George Best's 3rd? book which wasn't really about him!

Best Football film has to be Mike Basset England Manager.

heretoday
19-09-2011, 08:09 PM
The Glory Game by Hunter Davies - still a classic about one season of a top club - Spurs in 1971-72 - the Greaves, Gilzean, Chivers era at the end of which they won the first UEFA Cup.

Very frank for the time, he covered every corner of the club, even the political leanings of the players (they were all Tories except Steve Perryman!) and the hooligans among the support.

IWasThere2016
19-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Pointless - as endorsed by Newry above

You'll Never Walk Alone - Craig Johnston autobiog. Remarkable man, and a great read!

And - The Quiet Man :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
19-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Bloody casuals = Aberdeen casual Jay Allen giving us an insight into hooliganism in the 80's.

marinello59
19-09-2011, 08:25 PM
The best football related book I have read is ''My Father and other Working Class heroes'' by Gary Imlach. A great insight in to how the game used to be.

NorthNorfolkHFC
19-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Who Ate All The Pies? The Life and Times of Mick Quinn

FranckSuzy
19-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Have to admit to a bit of nepotism here as Daniel Gray is a friend of mine but Stramash: Tackling Scotland’s Towns & Teams is a great read. Took it on holiday with me and got many a funny look around the pool as I LOL :greengrin Stramash is 'part travel log, part history and part being accosted in a strange Alloa pub'.

JimBHibees
20-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Eamon Dunphy:
Only a game: A Diary of a professional footballer

Absolutely classic book about life as a professional footballer at that time. Well worth a read.

TheEastTerrace
20-09-2011, 10:56 AM
The Glory Game by Hunter Davies - still a classic about one season of a top club - Spurs in 1971-72 - the Greaves, Gilzean, Chivers era at the end of which they won the first UEFA Cup.

Very frank for the time, he covered every corner of the club, even the political leanings of the players (they were all Tories except Steve Perryman!) and the hooligans among the support.

:agree: Excellent book.

'Provided You Don't Kiss Me - 20 years with Brian Clough' - Duncan Hamilton
'The Beautiful Game?' - David Conn
'Back from the Brink' - Paul McGrath
'Barca' - Jimmy Burns
'Calcio' - John Foot
'Why England Lose' - Simon Kupar and Stefan Szymanski
'The Football Men' - Simon Kupar
'Football Against the Enemy' - Simon Kupar

Not a book as such, but I've subscribed to The Blizzard, which is run by Jonathan Wilson of 'Inverting the Pyramid'. Excellent football journal and devoid of any journalistic or editorial bias - just football writers writing about football.

TheEastTerrace
20-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Bloody casuals = Aberdeen casual Jay Allen giving us an insight into hooliganism in the 80's.

The original and best for me. When it came out, it was a real insight into the 'scene'. Now it's just a money-making exercise for ex-hoolies like Cass Pennant.

xyz23jc
20-09-2011, 11:03 AM
I have to agree with the poster as to the excellence of Eddie Turnbull's Having a Ball. Brilliant. A real legend. Also two interesting books on Spanish football well worth a read, Morbo the story of spanish football by Phil Ball, and el Barca a people's passion by Jimmy Burns.