PDA

View Full Version : one for the historians

hibeg
18-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Hi guys
Can anybody remember what was the last game played before the old main stand was demolished?
Also trying to find out the first game played in front of the new south and famous five stand. I have a small wager on with someone that it was v Hearts in 96/7 but he insists it was v motherwell :confused:
Neither of us can remember the very last game with the main stand in operation:dunno:

ginger_rice
18-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi guys
Can anybody remember what was the last game played before the old main stand was demolished?
Also trying to find out the first game played in front of the new south and famous five stand. I have a small wager on with someone that it was v Hearts in 96/7 but he insists it was v motherwell :confused:
Neither of us can remember the very last game with the main stand in operation:dunno:

Don't know about the main stand but I'm sure the first game with the new South and FF was against the sheep, the south was only open in the lower half that day

greenlad
18-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Last game before the old Main stand was demolished: 3-0 vs Dundee 2nd January 2001 (and in retrospect the absolute peak of that team as we were never as good after the winter break)

First game in front of the Famous Five Stand: friendly vs Middlesborough on a Thursday night 1995 preseason, bottom tier only open as the top hadn't been fully fitted. South Stand was only just taking shape (steel and concrete in place, but no roof or seats) and wasn't opened.

First game in front of a fully opened Famous Five Stand: 3-1 League Cup vs Stenhousemuir 19th August 1995

First game for the South Stand to be opened: 1-1 vs Aberdeen 16th september 1995 (bottom tier only)
First game in front of a fully opened South Stand: 2-2 vs Hearts 1st october 1995.

James70
18-09-2011, 03:10 PM
I wasn't at the other games in question but took this photo of the new South Stand at the friendly against Middlesbrough.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatcher/1507450419/

Hibs Class
18-09-2011, 03:33 PM
The game against Dundee was my first and only time in the old centre stand. I'd been in the south end of it a few times as there were at least a couple of seasons where it had a father & son gate and in the north end at a few sellout matches where that was the last area with tickets available. Enjoyed the Dundee game and had a cracking view. Very cramped though.

greenlad
18-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I wasn't at the other games in question but took this photo of the new South Stand at the friendly against Middlesbrough.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatcher/1507450419/

I'm as sure as i can be that the south stand definitely wasn't ready for the Middlesborough game (Nick Barmby's debut!). That was the Thursday, QPR was the Saturday and on both occasions the away fans were accomodated in the lower paddock section of the south wing of the Main Stand. The Famous Five Upper fans were located in the upper section of the south wing. We got letters from Dougie Cromb telling us the upper tier wasn't quite ready for the friendlies but would be for the first League Cup game.

At those two games all there was at the South Stand was a steel and concrete shell.

I think that is the Aberdeen game you've got there.

hibeg
18-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Last game before the old Main stand was demolished: 3-0 vs Dundee 2nd January 2001 (and in retrospect the absolute peak of that team as we were never as good after the winter break)

First game in front of the Famous Five Stand: friendly vs Middlesborough on a Thursday night 1995 preseason, bottom tier only open as the top hadn't been fully fitted. South Stand was only just taking shape (steel and concrete in place, but no roof or seats) and wasn't opened.

First game in front of a fully opened Famous Five Stand: 3-1 League Cup vs Stenhousemuir 19th August 1995

First game for the South Stand to be opened: 1-1 vs Aberdeen 16th september 1995 (bottom tier only)
First game in front of a fully opened South Stand: 2-2 vs Hearts 1st october 1995.

Thanks for that info greenlad. I could not remember the FF stand being open before the Hearts game ( or for that matter the south stand). I thought there were problems with safety certificates so fans could not be seated till October. IIRC Raith and Bayern also played at ER in the uefa cup and I presumed the west and east were the only stands in use. However you are very convincing.
Supermac appears convinced the South was open v Boro. All very complicated :greengrin

hibeg
18-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Don't know about the main stand but I'm sure the first game with the new South and FF was against the sheep, the south was only open in the lower half that day
Thanks for that mate, now I am totally confused :greengrin

James70
18-09-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm as sure as i can be that the south stand definitely wasn't ready for the Middlesborough game (Nick Barmby's debut!). That was the Thursday, QPR was the Saturday and on both occasions the away fans were accomodated in the lower paddock section of the south wing of the Main Stand. The Famous Five Upper fans were located in the upper section of the south wing. We got letters from Dougie Cromb telling us the upper tier wasn't quite ready for the friendlies but would be for the first League Cup game.

At those two games all there was at the South Stand was a steel and concrete shell.

I think that is the Aberdeen game you've got there.

A long time ago now and without the benefit of XIF data from a digital camera at that time very difficult to prove, however I took three photos at that match and one of the shots shows a team with red shirts and white shorts which I am certain is Middlesbrough. The third photo shows the North Stand as it was called at that time with players warming up in front. I am as convinced as you are so I think we will have to agree to differ in our opinions! :greengrin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatcher/1507967820/in/set-72157602269717720

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatcher/1749394045/in/set-72157602269717720/

greenlad
18-09-2011, 05:44 PM
A long time ago now and without the benefit of XIF data from a digital camera at that time very difficult to prove, however I took three photos at that match and one of the shots shows a team with red shirts and white shorts which I am certain is Middlesbrough. The third photo shows the North Stand as it was called at that time with players warming up in front. I am as convinced as you are so I think we will have to agree to differ in our opinions! :greengrin

Agree that the red team look more like Middlesbrough than Aberdeen but sticking to my guns as the upper tier of the FF (yes the "North Stand" as it was for the first year or so :wink:) definitely wasn't open for the Middlesborough game (as we were relocated to the West Upper - south wing) but your players warming up photo shows the FF Upper populated so that photo at least HAS to be a later game:wink:

Also the East looks too rammed for a pre-season friendly!

Anyway its all by the by but they are all great photos :agree:. Really show how much everything has changed at Easter Road, complete rebuild in 15 years, I can't think of another British club that can say that - other than those that have moved ground:dunno:

James70
18-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Agree that the red team look more like Middlesbrough than Aberdeen but sticking to my guns as the upper tier of the FF (yes the "North Stand" as it was for the first year or so :wink:) definitely wasn't open for the Middlesborough game (as we were relocated to the West Upper - south wing) but your players warming up photo shows the FF Upper populated so that photo at least HAS to be a later game:wink:

Also the East looks too rammed for a pre-season friendly!

Anyway its all by the by but they are all great photos :agree:. Really show how much everything has changed at Easter Road, complete rebuild in 15 years, I can't think of another British club that can say that - other than those that have moved ground:dunno:

You have actually got me wondering about these photos. I am adamant that the action photo is the Middlesbrough match and I definitely was at that match. If, as you say, the north and south stands were not open that could explain the size of crowd in the east.

There does seem to be a difference in the light and the pitch markings compared to the other two photos. The light could be explained by the photo being taken later in the evening but the grass patterns seem to be different. These photos were in albums for a number of years before I scanned them and uploaded them to Flickr. I got it into my head they were all taken on the same day and have no way of checking though I may have the programmes hidden away somewhere that may cast light on the issue.

The beauty of digital cameras is the availablity of info about the shot years after it was taken and I wish they had been invented 20 years ago!

Billy McKirdy
18-09-2011, 06:47 PM
IIRC, Aberdeen played for a couple of seasons in the mid 90s with red shirts and white socks, so that could be the Aberdeen game !!