PDA

View Full Version : 186 Scottish players in the English Championship

Hibbyradge
18-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Someone told me yesterday that some football pundit was quoted as saying that there are 186 Scottish players signed with clubs in the Championship in England.

Is that right?

if so, it really does explain why the SPL is of such poor quality. Anyone with any ability heads south where the streets are paved with gold and we're left with the rump.

A Britsh league would help, but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Signed, an ex-happy clapper.

Hibstrooper
18-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Someone told me yesterday that some football pundit was quoted as saying that there are 186 Scottish players signed with clubs in the Championship in England.

Is that right?

if so, it really does explain why the SPL is of such poor quality. Anyone with any ability heads south where the streets are paved with gold and we're left with the rump.

Seems awful high, surely they meant that many in the Championship, league one and league two?

Still regardless your point still stands as most league one clubs probably pay more than the spl.

Jack
18-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Right or wrong you only have to look at the players in the national squad and the number of players who when they're first picked you say to yourself 'who?' because they have never kicked a ball in Scotland.

Money.

SkintHibby
19-09-2011, 08:52 AM
That equates to about 8 Scots per club!!!:taxi

kennyh
19-09-2011, 09:31 AM
The number is something like 56 including managers. The Herald had a breakdown of this pre season.

I havent heard of too many Scots in the lower leagues to maybe make up the higher total but then again I was surprised at the 56 (roughly that cant remember excatly)

Keith_M
19-09-2011, 10:10 AM
The number is something like 56 including managers. The Herald had a breakdown of this pre season.

I havent heard of too many Scots in the lower leagues to maybe make up the higher total but then again I was surprised at the 56 (roughly that cant remember excatly)

Even 56 seems high to me. If we're being really generous and say there are 6 of them are managers/assistants, that's 50 Scots out of around 500 players, or 10%. Scots don't even quite make up 10% of the population of the UK, so it would be a remarkable achievement. Would be interesting if it was true though, as it would mean that Scotland does actually produce decent footballers (just unfortunate so many of them play elsewhere).

ancient hibee
19-09-2011, 10:18 AM
At least half,if not just over half,of the British managers in the EPL are Scots.I suspect that goes a long way to explaining the poor standard in the SPL-there are no good coaches.

kennyh
19-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Even 56 seems high to me. If we're being really generous and say there are 6 of them are managers/assistants, that's 50 Scots out of around 500 players, or 10%. Scots don't even quite make up 10% of the population of the UK, so it would be a remarkable achievement. Would be interesting if it was true though, as it would mean that Scotland does actually produce decent footballers (just unfortunate so many of them play elsewhere).

I had a look but cant find the story to put the link up. I am sure there were two or three clubs that had around 7 each and remember there are 24 teams involved so only an average of just over two per club.

Dashing Bob S
19-09-2011, 11:50 AM

Is that right?

Also explains why the Championship is Tom Kite.

sidjames
19-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Also explains why the Championship is Tom Kite.

That was a question in my local quiz on Saturday."What sport is Tom Kite associated with" I put Hibs.

Jack
19-09-2011, 12:10 PM
EPL (21)
Alan Hutton; Barry Bannan; Charlie Adam; Christophe Berra; Craig Beattie; Craig Gordon; Danny Wilson; Darren Fletcher; David Goodwillie; Gary Caldwell; Graham Dorrans; Grant Hanley; James McArthur; James Morrison; Jamie Mackie; Phil Bardsley; Russell Martin; Shaun Maloney; Simon Lappin; Stephen Dobbie; Steven Fletcher.

Championship (49)
Alex Pearce; Alexander MacDonald; Andy Gray; Andy Halliday; Barry Ferguson; Barry Robson; Bob Harris; Brian Easton; Cameron Park; Chris Burke; Chris Iwelumo; Chris Maguire; Craig Bryson; Craig Conway; Craig Forsyth; Craig Mackail-Smith; Craig Sutherland; Danny Fox; David Marshall; Don Cowie; Fraser Kerr; George Boyd; Gordon Greer; James McEveley; James McPake; Jamie McAllister; Jim McNulty; Jim O'Brien; Kenny Miller; Kevin McNaughton; Kevin Thomson; Louis Carey; Martin Woods; Matthew Gilks; Neil Sullivan; Paul Gallagher; Paul Quinn; Robert Snodgrass; Ross McCormack; Ross Wallace; Russell Anderson; Stephen Crainey; Stephen Husband; Stephen McGinn; Stephen McManus; Stephen Pearson; Steve Howard; Steven Caldwell; Tom Cairney.

League One (21)
Andy Welsh; Barry Nicholson; Colin Nish; David Clarkson; David Gray; Gary Naysmith; Iain Turner; Jordan Rhodes; Kevin McDonald; Lee Miller; Marc Twaddle; Mark Reynolds; Neill Collins; Nick Montgomery; Paul Coutts; Peter Sweeney; Ryan Flynn; Scott Arfield; Steve MacLean; Steven Smith; Zander Diamond.

League Two (20)
Alan Martin; Blair Sturrock; Chris Mitchell; Chris Robertson; Darryl Duffy; Gary McDonald; John Dempster; Jon McLaughlin; Manny Panther; Mark Stewart; Nathan Taylor; Paul Caddis; Peter Leven; Scott Brown; Scott Shearer; Sean Murdoch; Simon Ferry; Steven Leslie; Stuart Campbell; Will Haining.

3pm
19-09-2011, 12:40 PM
I'd take David Clarkson.

.Sean.
19-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Half them have had caps!

KWJ
19-09-2011, 01:17 PM
That boy Nish looks a player, 2 good goals on Saturday. Hear he's a Hibee too.

Joe Baker II
19-09-2011, 01:49 PM
I counted over 60 in Division 2 (ignoring ridiculous new names) alone so 186 might be about right if similar numbers in other leagues - think post title should be changed btw to say Football League as 5 at least at Cardiff for a start (Miller, Cowie, Marshall, McNaughton, Conway, others?).

Sadly symbolises the cancerous effect marketing of English football has on rest of leagues in Northern Europe.

IanM
19-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Emmanuel Ugochukwu Ezenwa "Manny" Panther (born 11 May 1984) is a Scottish Footballer who plays for Aldershot Town as a Midfielder.

9 goals in 10 seasons

GET HIM SIGNED PETRIE!

Irish_Steve
19-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Isn`t Danny Fox the guy who played about half a season for Celtc and ended up being capped for Scotland whilst playing for the mhankies?

Sir David Gray
19-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Emmanuel Ugochukwu Ezenwa "Manny" Panther (born 11 May 1984) is a Scottish Footballer who plays for Aldershot Town as a Midfielder.

9 goals in 10 seasons

GET HIM SIGNED PETRIE!

Started his career with St Johnstone about 10 years ago.

Wasn't very good as I recall.