PDA

View Full Version : Interesting trialists

capi
17-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Looking through some old Hibs records I noticed that in 1997-1998 season we gave a trial to a Paulo Sergio from the Estoril club in Portugal.

Wikipedia says that the Hearts boss was with Estoril around that time. Anyone confirm that it's the same guy?

What about any other interesting trialists we've had? Apart from Ronnie Rosenthal.

Future17
17-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Looking through some old Hibs records I noticed that in 1997-1998 season we gave a trial to a Paulo Sergio from the Estoril club in Portugal.

Wikipedia says that the Hearts boss was with Estoril around that time. Anyone confirm that it's the same guy?

What about any other interesting trialists we've had? Apart from Ronnie Rosenthal.

It is indeed the same guy. IIRC Duffy brought him in for a trial.

How about Jamaican internationalist and million pound man Trevor Benjamin?

Or, more recently, Dutch internationalist Romano Denneboom?

Winston Ingram
17-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Thorsten Schmugge, German U21 international

Jonnyboy
17-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Duff Jimmy gave a trial to a certain Stephane Adam but decided not to sign him :devil:

Hiber-nation
17-09-2011, 08:30 PM

Ronan Larrieu and Guus Uhlenbeek both played at East Fife at the beginning of 1999-00 and were never seen again. Uhlenbeek actually scored. Larrieu is still with Plymouth I think.

BroxburnHibee
17-09-2011, 08:32 PM
David Platt :rolleyes:

Future17
17-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Ronan Larrieu and Guus Uhlenbeek both played at East Fife at the beginning of 1999-00 and were never seen again. Uhlenbeek actually scored. Larrieu is still with Plymouth I think.

:agree:

I think he was voted their best player of the 00's or something ridiculous like that. Kept Stack out the team when they were both at Plymouth.

Hiber-nation
17-09-2011, 08:34 PM
:agree:

I think he was voted their best player of the 00's or something ridiculous like that. Kept Stack out the team when they were both at Plymouth.

And there was Andy McLaren and further back Juha Rippa (sp).

Scouse Hibee
17-09-2011, 09:07 PM
The next player on trial............................................. .......GOC :tin hat:

bod
18-09-2011, 10:28 AM
The next player on trial............................................. .......GOC :tin hat:

:tee hee:

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Ronan Larrieu and Guus Uhlenbeek both played at East Fife at the beginning of 1999-00 and were never seen again. Uhlenbeek actually scored. Larrieu is still with Plymouth I think. i can remember Ian Westwater running round the pitch to explain the new pass back rules to that keeper. Must have been the same season that they were applied.

tamig
18-09-2011, 02:46 PM

I believe Yogi welcomed him into the fold by playing one of his infamous pranks on Paulo. It involved waxing strips and the guy's eyebrows still haven't grown back to this day.

heidtheba
18-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Duff Jimmy gave a trial to a certain Stephane Adam but decided not to sign him :devil:

Sometime last year I started a thread along the lines of 'what were the best players we almost signed'. Someone said that Duff Jimmy stayed with Lee Power and Paul Tosh and turned down the loan of a wee Monaco player (I think) by the name of David Trezeguet...NHC? I don't think so somehow...

Winston Ingram
18-09-2011, 06:06 PM
David Platt :rolleyes:

Platt never had a trial. We just made a bid for him:agree:

McD
18-09-2011, 06:14 PM

I think it was only a few weeks later that he went on trial at hearts then signed.

Ryan69
18-09-2011, 06:21 PM

Im sure we decided he wasnt good enough.

GordonHFC
18-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Im sure we decided he wasnt good enough.

Sure we had a bid of around 300k accepted but Crewe came back and asked for another 20k and AM told them to bolt.

itchy07
18-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Platt never had a trial. We just made a bid for him:agree: Not Hibs class.

Harpandcastle
18-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Sure we had a bid of around 300k accepted but Crewe came back and asked for another 20k and AM told them to bolt.

Then signed Gareth Evans from Rotherham who he noticed while scouting Platt.

Stevie Reid
19-09-2011, 09:50 AM

I'm pretty sure that Adam chose Hearts over us, but I may be wrong.

Yeah. the story as I remember it was that it was between us and Villa, and Platt understandably chose Villa.]

Don't think Rosenthal was on trial either, think we just tried to sign him.