PDA

View Full Version : Settle an Argument who signed Jimmy Boco ?

nortonhibby
15-09-2011, 07:31 PM
My mate is convinced the Duffster signed Jimmy Boco, and he also said we were top of the league for a few weeks when the Duffster was in charge. ? no way he is mad.

I Dont recall it this way all i recall is pain when Duffstar was in charge can FH Settle this argument ?

or any other Hibby with good memory.:flag:

Chris1
15-09-2011, 07:37 PM
It was duff jim that signed him, and we did get off to a flyer that season- beating the tic, hammered dunfy and killie early doors too then the wheels came off. I'm hoping this season turns out to be the exact opposite!

Ferryhibby
15-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Think yer mates right boco was signed by duffy who kept playing him at full back when he was outstanding in midfield when he played there.

nortonhibby
15-09-2011, 07:40 PM
It was duff jim that signed him, and we did get off to a flyer that season- beating the tic, hammered dunfy and killie early doors too then the wheels came off. I'm hoping this season turns out to be the exact opposite!

Are you sure ? okay but we never were top of league ? i got a score says Duffsters team never topped the league and a score that he never signed a decent player JB Was a good player :confused:

Argylehibby
15-09-2011, 07:40 PM
My mate is convinced the Duffster signed Jimmy Boco, and he also said we were top of the league for a few weeks when the Duffster was in charge. ? no way he is mad.

I Dont recall it this way all i recall is pain when Duffstar was in charge can FH Settle this argument ?

or any other Hibby with good memory.:flag:

I think Duffy did sign JB and we started the season well. We could well have been top when we threw away a game v Rangers at Easter Rd. Boco elected to pass instead of shoot when 1 on 1 with the keeper. Would have put us 3 ahead and a few minutes later they were level. Hardly won another game that season until McLeish took over.

Argylehibby
15-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Are you sure ? okay but we never were top of league ? i got a score says Duffsters team never topped the league and a score that he never signed a decent player JB Was a good player :confused:

No he wasnt that good. Never scored in his life and was for ever playing forwards onside when the rest of the defence stepped forward. :tin hat:

keep the faith
15-09-2011, 07:46 PM
I think Duffy did sign JB and we started the season well. We could well have been top when we threw away a game v Rangers at Easter Rd. Boco elected to pass instead of shoot when 1 on 1 with the keeper. Would have put us 3 ahead and a few minutes later they were level. Hardly won another game that season until McLeish took over.

was that the game when Negri scored a few for the huns? That game literally changed our season. Complete and spectacular collapse from the minute they equalised until McLeish took over.

eastmainsmsh
15-09-2011, 07:47 PM
We started to play mmmm Excuse me BETTER when Andy Walker joined on loan .....Jimmy got smacked in the coupon at *********** from a fulton freekick in the 2-2 newyearday draw When we were 2-0 down And super Pat and Walker scored to make it 2-2 :flag:

Pheona
15-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Duffys team definitely topped the league!

spudhib
15-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Hibs WERE top after 4 games then the yams beat us 1-0 with a goal by McCann at ER,remember feeling super optimistic about the Crawford Lavety strikeforce but it never really took off also sure it was Duffy that signed JB as he only played one season.

nortonhibby
15-09-2011, 08:11 PM
No he wasnt that good. Never scored in his life and was for ever playing forwards onside when the rest of the defence stepped forward. :tin hat:

This is good i have a chance of getting even come on boys was Jimmy Boco a good or bad signing 5 bads and im in.:flag:

spudhib
15-09-2011, 08:16 PM
This is good i have a chance of getting even come on boys was Jimmy Boco a good or bad signing 5 bads and im in.:flag:

Good player compared to some in that team.

HibbyAndy
15-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Hibs WERE top after 4 games then the yams beat us 1-0 with a goal by McCann at ER,remember feeling super optimistic about the Crawford Lavety strikeforce but it never really took off also sure it was Duffy that signed JB as he only played one season.

Defo got the scroats back in the next Derby at Easter Road!!.

Jonnyboy
15-09-2011, 10:13 PM

We did indeed top the league for a wee while

Duffy signed Shaun Dennis, David Elliot, Jamie McQuilken, Chic Charnley, Bjarnolfur Larusson, Lee Power, Paul Tosh, Tony Rougier, Stevie Crawford, Jimmy Boco, Olafur Gottskalksson and Andy Walker. He also released Kevin McAllister, Mickey Weir and Keith Wright.

And Duffy wonders why he was so unpopular :greengrin

Future17
15-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Bjarnolfur Larusson - I thought he was going to be great.

Another in the "cursed by a debut goal" club.

smurf
15-09-2011, 11:26 PM
GJP told me he nearly signed Jimmy for Motherwell before Duffy Jimmy signed him for us. Apparently Motherwell had concerns over eyesight...

Gettin' Auld
16-09-2011, 05:44 AM
GJP told me he nearly signed Jimmy for Motherwell before Duffy Jimmy signed him for us. Apparently Motherwell had concerns over eyesight...
Was his hair getting in his eyes? :wink:

easty
16-09-2011, 08:38 AM

Duffy signed Shaun Dennis, David Elliot, Jamie McQuilken, Chic Charnley, Bjarnolfur Larusson, Lee Power, Paul Tosh, Tony Rougier, Stevie Crawford, Jimmy Boco, Olafur Gottskalksson and Andy Walker. He also released Kevin McAllister, Mickey Weir and Keith Wright.

Who is David Elliot? That's the only name I don't recognise, did he play in the Brian Kerr role?

allezsauzee
16-09-2011, 08:39 AM

He binned Geebsie as well....never forgave him for that

bawheid
16-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Who is David Elliot? That's the only name I don't recognise, did he play in the Brian Kerr role?

Dreadful left-back signed from Falkirk. Started off at Celtic and was given a straight red at Ibrox for a shocking challenge on some hun mutant. I remeber the Sun going to town on him the next day for it.

He was awful.

Boco wasn't that great either, in fact he was pretty terrible. Cult hero status for daft hair and unconventional style.

bawheid
16-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Found this through google. It's from the Sunday Mirror, January 19, 1997.

Struggling Hibs are steeling themselves for a mass clear out by new manager Jim Duffy.

The Easter Road club have slipped dangerously close to the relegation area despite the recent change of boss.
Duffy arrived from Dundee just three weeks ago and has watched three straight defeats by Hearts, Rangers and Motherwell.
And now his patience has snapped with up to 10 of the current Hibs first team squad set for the job.

First to go was former England star Ray Wilkins, who walked away from Easter Road after the Rangers defeat, at the end of his third short term contract.

And "Duff" continued the process by swapping utility player Andy Millen for Raith Rovers unsettled defender Sean Dennis.
However he is suffering from an ankle injury and is unfit along with pounds 200,000 signing John Hughes from Celtic.

And on Friday night he tried to swap club record signing Keith Wright for Falkirk's David Elliot - Wright refused to go and Duffy paid pounds 100,000 for the former Celtic winger.

With only 12 games to go in the Premier Division programme, Hibs have slipped into the detached group at the foot of the table.
And with Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Raith all picking up points, the Edinburgh club could quickly find themselves in deep trouble.

The bit in bold says it all about James Duffy.

Stevie Reid
16-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Struggling Hibs are steeling themselves for a mass clear out by new manager Jim Duffy.

The Easter Road club have slipped dangerously close to the relegation area despite the recent change of boss.
Duffy arrived from Dundee just three weeks ago and has watched three straight defeats by Hearts, Rangers and Motherwell.
And now his patience has snapped with up to 10 of the current Hibs first team squad set for the job.

First to go was former England star Ray Wilkins, who walked away from Easter Road after the Rangers defeat, at the end of his third short term contract.

And "Duff" continued the process by swapping utility player Andy Millen for Raith Rovers unsettled defender Sean Dennis.
However he is suffering from an ankle injury and is unfit along with pounds 200,000 signing John Hughes from Celtic.

And on Friday night he tried to swap club record signing Keith Wright for Falkirk's David Elliot - Wright refused to go and Duffy paid pounds 100,000 for the former Celtic winger.

With only 12 games to go in the Premier Division programme, Hibs have slipped into the detached group at the foot of the table.
And with Motherwell, Kilmarnock and Raith all picking up points, the Edinburgh club could quickly find themselves in deep trouble.

I had heard a story years ago (on a similar line to the Martin Hayes to Celtic legend) that David Elliott (when he was at Falkirk) had been told he could to Ross County for free - apparently Elliott went up there to look around before deciding that he didn't fancy relocating his family to the Highlands - Alex Totten told him that it would be very much in his best interests to go as he had no future at Falkirk; Hibs then stepped in with a £100K bid. This does sound though that it could somehow have got twisted out of the Keith Wright story.

Duffy ruined what Miller had built up over ten years in less than a year - seeing the effect that Mickey Weir had at Motherwell (especially in a 2-0 at Ibrox that condemned us to the relegation play off), and the mileage that Falkirk got out of Kevin McAllister was particularly hard to take.

Andy74
16-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Found this through google. It's from the Sunday Mirror, January 19, 1997.

The bit in bold says it all about James Duffy.

It does to an extent but let's not forget that Keith Wright was largely disappointing after his first season, maybe two.

Anyone recall the Mass hibsteria with a front page which had Keith Wright and 'missing' on it? He was for large spells.

Duffy was poor, but at least, compared to today's lot, we had a spell where it was going well and we tried to entertain and score goals. It might have been a bit different if we had extended our lead that day against Rangers when we were flying.

nortonhibby
16-09-2011, 09:29 AM
I had heard a story years ago (on a similar line to the Martin Hayes to Celtic legend) that David Elliott (when he was at Falkirk) had been told he could to Ross County for free - apparently Elliott went up there to look around before deciding that he didn't fancy relocating his family to the Highlands - Alex Totten told him that it would be very much in his best interests to go as he had no future at Falkirk; Hibs then stepped in with a £100K bid. This does sound though that it could somehow have got twisted out of the Keith Wright story.

Duffy ruined what Miller had built up over ten years in less than a year - seeing the effect that Mickey Weir had at Motherwell (especially in a 2-0 at Ibrox that condemned us to the relegation play off), and the mileage that Falkirk got out of Kevin McAllister was particularly hard to take.

As i previously said all i can remember from the Duffy reign was pain, In al honesty the man should be Barred from Easter Road for what he did to our club, journalist or not barr him, maybee someone could do a poll.

bawheid
16-09-2011, 09:31 AM
It might have been a bit different if we had extended our lead that day against Rangers when we were flying.

You can't seriously believe that Andy? We had a couple of decent wins at the start of the season and Chic Charnley had scored from the half way line. We had also lost to Hearts at Easter Road though.

His signings were atrocious. He was buying guys from St Mirren and Dundee and Partick. We were mid table when he took over and we escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth in his first season. Darren Jackson and Jim Leighton saved us on their own. They then both left during the summer and the writing really was on the wall.

Nothing would have been different if we'd beaten Rangers that day. Duffy was an awful manager, incomparable to anyone we've had since.

smurf
16-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Yeah Keith Wright declined as a player quite quickly. Fantastic 1991-1994 but thereafter thought he lost a yard when he was never a player with pace.

Duffy inherited a team that needed major surgery but his replacements were all duds.

It's often forgotten that after Alex Miller left we tried very hard to get in GJP but failed to get Motherwell permission to talk....

Stevie Reid
16-09-2011, 09:51 AM
You can't seriously believe that Andy? We had a couple of decent wins at the start of the season and Chic Charnley had scored from the half way line. We had also lost to Hearts at Easter Road though.

His signings were atrocious. He was buying guys from St Mirren and Dundee and Partick. We were mid table when he took over and we escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth in his first season. Darren Jackson and Jim Leighton saved us on their own. They then both left during the summer and the writing really was on the wall.

Nothing would have been different if we'd beaten Rangers that day. Duffy was an awful manager, incomparable to anyone we've had since.

Although it's hard to imagine things being different given how awful we were for most of Duffy's reign, we were playing some great stuff under him at the start of that season, and banging the goals in. That was a great Rangers team and we were ripping them apart - at 3-1 up just after half time we missed a great chance to go 4-1 ahead; it was missed and then Rangers scored 2 stunners (Gazza free kick and Albertz special [just how many goals did that guy score against us?!]) - there is usually a turning point in most people's ER career, and that was Duffy's.

His tenure was a complete and utter disaster, without a shadow of a doubt, as I said earlier, the secure footing that Alex Miller spent ten years building was obliterated in just over a year - but there were still some exciting times. I can't remember the last time I felt excited at ER.

Stevie Reid
16-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Yeah Keith Wright declined as a player quite quickly. Fantastic 1991-1994 but thereafter thought he lost a yard when he was never a player with pace.

Duffy inherited a team that needed major surgery but his replacements were all duds.

It's often forgotten that after Alex Miller left we tried very hard to get in GJP but failed to get Motherwell permission to talk....

I've often stated that as a pivotal moment in Hibs' history - and the board at the time have a lot to answer for. We originally tried to get McLeish, Motherwell refused permission and McLeish refused to resign - however, he was out of contract at the end of the season and we installed Jocky Scott as a safe pair of hands until then. Sound plan.

Then, after an away draw at Pittodrie (back in the days when that was a very good point), when Aberdeen equalised in injury time, the board for some reason panicked and brought in Duffy. I think we were 5th/6th in the league at this point - Duffy came in, barely won a game and we descended into a relegation play off. Had we stuck to our original plan there's no way that we would have been relegated, and would have had McLeish under much better circumstances.

Sadly the board's then panic seemed to affect Duffy's tenure, in that they didn't want to remove him too quickly following their previous rash move - I can't help but think that our current board is also backing the wrong horse following the removal of previous managers (though I am happy with BB in as assistant, it's as much an admission of a crisis as getting Billy McNeil in was).

nortonhibby
16-09-2011, 11:19 AM
I've often stated that as a pivotal moment in Hibs' history - and the board at the time have a lot to answer for. We originally tried to get McLeish, Motherwell refused permission and McLeish refused to resign - however, he was out of contract at the end of the season and we installed Jocky Scott as a safe pair of hands until then. Sound plan.

Then, after an away draw at Pittodrie (back in the days when that was a very good point), when Aberdeen equalised in injury time, the board for some reason panicked and brought in Duffy. I think we were 5th/6th in the league at this point - Duffy came in, barely won a game and we descended into a relegation play off. Had we stuck to our original plan there's no way that we would have been relegated, and would have had McLeish under much better circumstances.

Sadly the board's then panic seemed to affect Duffy's tenure, in that they didn't want to remove him too quickly following their previous rash move - I can't help but think that our current board is also backing the wrong horse following the removal of previous managers (though I am happy with BB in as assistant, it's as much an admission of a crisis as getting Billy McNeil in was).

The circumstances are eerily similar we bring in un proven manager, we sign a load of mediocre players, we go on a dissasterous run of results, dont replace bing in a proven assistant with Experience.

Its Dito the same as Duffy all over again, heres hoping for a different outcome because if it goes bely up our support will go mad.

tamig
16-09-2011, 11:28 AM
was that the game when Negri scored a few for the huns? That game literally changed our season. Complete and spectacular collapse from the minute they equalised until McLeish took over.

Remember that game well. The turning point of that relegation season. If Jimmy Boco had scored to make it 4-1 I'm sure we'd have motored on. Negri did score but it's Gascoigne I remember pulling the strings for them that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfke1BSg4u4

Hibs Class
16-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Dreadful left-back signed from Falkirk. Started off at Celtic and was given a straight red at Ibrox for a shocking challenge on some hun mutant. I remeber the Sun going to town on him the next day for it.

He was awful.

Boco wasn't that great either, in fact he was pretty terrible. Cult hero status for daft hair and unconventional style.

:agree: That's how I'd sum him up too.

tamig
16-09-2011, 11:47 AM

Disagree with the bit in bold. Keith Wright had tremendous pace and I think Dundee got the best out of him tbh. I remember a game at ER in the late 80s when Keith and Tommy Coyne ripped us apart. Dundee won 4-0 I think. It was Keith's pace which did the damage.

allezsauzee
16-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Disagree with the bit in bold. Keith Wright had tremendous pace and I think Dundee got the best out of him tbh. I remember a game at ER in the late 80s when Keith and Tommy Coyne ripped us apart. Dundee won 4-0 I think. It was Keith's pace which did the damage.

yep we were 4 down after about half an hour that day i think. Keith was superb that day.

Jonnyboy
16-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Whilst true K I'd still have played him with both legs in stookies ahead of Lee (missed another sitter) Power and Paul Tosh aka Tall Pish :agree:

smurf
16-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Whilst true K I'd still have played him with both legs in stookies ahead of Lee (missed another sitter) Power and Paul Tosh aka Tall Pish :agree:

Most definitely!

Future17
16-09-2011, 09:14 PM

He was awful.

It was a bad tackle, but I think it was the fact that he walked off smiling from ear to ear that really endeared him to the weegie media.

The Baldmans Comb
16-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Duff Jimmy who was easily the worst Hibs manager of the modern era:agree: signed Jimmy Boco and Hibs wen't from top of the league after 3/4 games to the bottom of the league 12/13 games later and barely moved from this spot.

Jimmy was a cult player ie crap most of the tiime but he had an endearing personality and Mcleish binned him and Ollie the useless goalie after about 1 game which may well have been some TV gubbing at Aberdeen.

nortonhibby
16-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Duff Jimmy who was easily the worst Hibs manager of the modern era:agree: signed Jimmy Boco and Hibs wen't from top of the league after 3/4 games to the bottom of the league 12/13 games later and barely moved from this spot.

Jimmy was a cult player ie crap most of the tiime but he had an endearing personality and Mcleish binned him and Ollie the useless goalie after about 1 game which may well have been some TV gubbing at Aberdeen.

the sad thing is the duff still feels pain and out rage at getting sacked as with his comments on live radio " i got sacked for less "

WELL NO JAMES 19 GAMES ONE WIN YOU GOT RID OF SEVERAL HIBS LEGENDS WHO WENT ON TO PLAY FOR MANY YEARS AKA KEITH WRIGHT AND SIGNED LEE POWER.
AND THIS GUY http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ólafur_Gottskálksson
A DISGRACE OF A MAN, WHO AS I PREVIOUSLY STATED SHOULD BE BANNED FROM EASTER ROAD FOR LIFE.

DO NOT DARKEN OUR DOORSTEP AGAIN DUFFY. rant over:flag:

CabbageBoy
16-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Remember that game well. The turning point of that relegation season. If Jimmy Boco had scored to make it 4-1 I'm sure we'd have motored on. Negri did score but it's Gascoigne I remember pulling the strings for them that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfke1BSg4u4

My stag weekend; listened on the radio, still blootered from the night before