PDA

View Full Version : gary o charged with fraud

Wembley67
14-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Not one of his better weeks.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Hibs-footballer-Garry-O39Connor-charged.6836145.jp

Hibbyradge
14-09-2011, 10:23 AM
That'll be the end of the goals then.

R'Albin
14-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Link isn't working, what's the jist of it?

Sadly this week will have an effect on his performance.

Betty Boop
14-09-2011, 10:32 AM
http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Hibs-footballer-Garry-O39Connor-charged.6836145.jp

Gettin' Auld
14-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Link isn't working, what's the jist of it?

Sadly this week will have an effect on his performance.

Hibs footballer Garry O'Connor charged with fraud

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/images/1pixel_spacer.gif

Published Date: 14 September 2011
By GRAEME WILSON
HIBS footballer Garry O'Connor has been charged with fraud over an insurance claim for his crashed £100,000 Ferrari.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/getEdFrontImage.aspx?ImageID=480647

The 28-year-old Scotland player has been accused of attempting to fiddle the claim which followed an accident in East Lothian earlier this year. The Ferrari Spider F1 was found empty after smashing into a bridge at Meadowmill in Tranent, at around 7am on April 14 this year, about three miles from his then home in Port Seton.

Initial reports to police suggested an acquaintance of Mr O'Connor was driving.

A source said at the time: "The car was completely battered. The driver was lucky to escape without serious injury."

Insurance brokers are said to have spotted inconsistencies in O'Connor's claim and called the police. The player's agent Martin Reilly was today quoted saying the fraud case was in the hands of his lawyers.

A neighbour said: "After the Ferrari crash he downscaled his cars. They've been getting less and less glamorous."

O'Connor was accused last week of possessing cocaine and running away from police.

He did not appear at Edinburgh Sheriff Court and the case was continued.

A Lothian and Borders Police spokesman said: "A 28-year-old man has been charged in connection with an alleged attempted fraud. A report has been sent to the procurator fiscal."

Allant1981
14-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Bet he will be glad when this week is over

LancashireHibby
14-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Bet he will be glad when this week is over

It's going to hang over him for a lot longer than that.

Betty Boop
14-09-2011, 10:59 AM
I trust he has a decent lawyer, the sentences appear to be quite stiff for insurance fraud.

givescotlandfreedom
14-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Some folk really don't deserve the talent life gives them.

persevere1875
14-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Could this explain Calderwoods insistance on bringing in more strikers when some uf us felt with O connor, Sodje, Agogo and co we already had enough cover in this area, ie: were Hibs fully aware of the impending situation, Fraud and Possesion charges could sadly see Gary being made an example of.

Carheenlea
14-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Could this explain Calderwoods insistance on bringing in more strikers when some uf us felt with O connor, Sodje, Agogo and co we already had enough cover in this area, ie: were Hibs fully aware of the impending situation, Fraud and Possesion charges could sadly see Gary being made an example of.

I think we are now at the point where we have to look at life without O'Connor. From what I've seen so far this season, that is obviously a scenario that is alarming..

It is becoming increasingly difficult to defend the guy. Drugs, fair enough, you can accept that people get themselves into difficulties with addiction, but insurance fraud?

Pains me to say it but I think O'Connor's days are numbered at Easter Road, be that by way of custodial sentence or contract termination.

Hibs Class
14-09-2011, 11:33 AM
I think we are now at the point where we have to look at life without O'Connor. From what I've seen so far this season, that is obviously a scenario that is alarming..

It is becoming increasingly difficult to defend the guy. Drugs, fair enough, you can accept that people get themselves into difficulties with addiction, but insurance fraud?

Pains me to say it but I think O'Connor's days are numbered at Easter Road, be that by way of custodial sentence or contract termination.

Agree with all that.

Alfred E Newman
14-09-2011, 11:34 AM

Unfortunately O`Connor is our best scoring option. Our PR gets worse by the day and serious questions need to be answered as to why on earth we brought him back to the club.

Gatecrasher
14-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Unfortunately O`Connor is our best scoring option. Our PR gets worse by the day and serious questions need to be answered as to why on earth we brought him back to the club.

Why?

Because he's about the only person to score a league goal this season, thats why?
Hibs have taken a chance on him, if it works out great if it doesn't then at least he done well when he was here.

GOC - get your act together

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Drugs, Insurance Fraud FFS! Innocent until proven guilty and if so possible jail time. What a waste of talent he is proving to be, if Hibs bin him then so be it.

KeithTheHibby
14-09-2011, 11:45 AM

If Barnsley didn't know about his previous 2 years ago why should Hibs?

He wrecked his Ferrari before he joined Hibs so why would the club know about his dodgy insurance claim?

GoC is an idiot but also a good player which we need in abundance. The club is caught between a rock and a hard place.

FWIW I wouldn't like to see him leave.

Alfred E Newman
14-09-2011, 11:49 AM
If Barnsley didn't know about his previous 2 years ago why should Hibs?

He wrecked his Ferrari before he joined Hibs so why would the club know about his dodgy insurance claim?

GoC is an idiot but also a good player which we need in abundance. The club is caught between a rock and a hard place.

FWIW I wouldn't like to see him leave.

He had history before he left Hibs.

1875 NO 1
14-09-2011, 11:56 AM

that blether biscuits is claiming that he is only with us until January and will go to celtic if he can prove his fitness and ability. This is part of the deal when he signed.

KeithTheHibby
14-09-2011, 12:03 PM
He had history before he left Hibs.

I can only think of the Elvis impersonator which he was found not guilty of assault?

Cropley10
14-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Again no-one has died. Bed wetters and moral high groundists get a grip and get behind the player.

We all make mistakes!

Cropley10
14-09-2011, 12:25 PM

That's the spirit, hang him, flog him and chuck him out. Meanwhile we're bottom of the League on 4 points.

Wembley67
14-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Again no-one has died. Bed wetters and moral high groundists get a grip and get behind the player.

We all make mistakes!

Hardly taking the moral high ground :rolleyes:

joe breezy
14-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Life doesn't give out talent, there are genes and body size, which can't be helped but talent is learned and for footballers this means a lot of hard work and practice.

Some footballers are highly intelligent, many are less so, in the classical sense so it's no surprise some of them can do daft things now and then.

Scouse Hibee
14-09-2011, 12:58 PM

We all make mistakes!

Yes we do, however most of us learn from them, grow up, move on and become responsible adults!
I just wonder when the penny is going to finally drop with GOC or is he a lost cause?

H18S NX
14-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Let he who casts the first stone and all that,keep banging them in garry:aok:

Carheenlea
14-09-2011, 01:18 PM
That's the spirit, hang him, flog him and chuck him out. Meanwhile we're bottom of the League on 4 points.

I'm certainly not advocating any hanging and flogging. Merely suggesting that it is difficult to defend O'Connor's actions, and that there is a possibility that O'Connor could do time and his 2nd spell with us will not be a long one. Far from ideal.

eastmainsmsh
14-09-2011, 01:23 PM
I can only think of the Elvis impersonator which he was found not guilty of assault?

the Police asked the imperosonator if he was alright ??? He said Im all Shook up :wink:

bighairyfaeleith
14-09-2011, 01:32 PM
TBH as long as he isn't beasting kids, raping women or stealing from Hibs I really don't give a **** what he has been upto, as long as he scores goals.

If he goes down for a few months his wage on his next contract will be cheaper yet :devil:

just_joe
14-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Its stories like this that don't do our club any good. I don't care how many goals he can get us a season I think we should get rid. If this was one of the "poorer" players in the squad I can guarantee most people would want him out too. The guy has to grow up.

McD
14-09-2011, 01:48 PM

Did he not crash a club car (Honda?) and then run from the scene of the accident?

silverhibee
14-09-2011, 01:54 PM

We all make mistakes!

But you are ment to learn from your mistakes are you not.

He is a grown man with a family to look after now. time for him to grow up and act like a good dad.

bawheid
14-09-2011, 02:00 PM
But you are ment to learn from your mistakes are you not.

He is a grown man with a family to look after now. time for him to grow up and act like a good dad.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying silverhibee, but have to say I find it slightly ironic that you lay down thick the moralistic stuff over O'Connor, when you regularly leapt to the defence of his former strike partner, who wasn't exactly whiter than white during his time in Scottish football.

Keith_M
14-09-2011, 02:59 PM

We all make mistakes!

Charged with assault, cleared.

Spent Time in rehab for Drug Problem, covered up by his then employers by saying his absence was due to important surgery. Hidden from subsequent loan clubs,

Charged with possession of Cocaine and forcefully resisting arrest. Lawyer attended court on GOC's behalf and made no plea or declaration. Charges still pending.

Charged with Insurance fraud. Case Pending.

Related to above, may have fled the scene of an accident. Admittedly speculation but based on the fact whoever was driving the Ferrari did leave the scene, and the fraud part of this may bring this to light.

Aye, we've all done it. Let he who has not done all of the above cast the first stone. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. The lad's just been really unlucky with all these terrible accusations and will no doubt be cleared of any wrongdoing. Reports that he was seen behind the Grassy Knoll with a smoking gun have also never been proved (though, TBF, his birth certificate should about suffice as evidence, unless he's lying about his age :wink:)

If he was playing for Hearts, at least we could blame the Mafia.

fat freddy
14-09-2011, 04:05 PM
in ten years time we'll look back on garry o'connor and say he was a character and have a laugh about his escapades...we're not the first team to have a nutter in our ranks and we wont be the last...it adds a wee bit of colour to our lives and we should enjoy the drama while we have it.

NOLA
14-09-2011, 08:21 PM
no surprises here TBH, always thought the story was single fish at first, dearie me what next :rolleyes:

CFC
14-09-2011, 10:59 PM
in ten years time we'll look back on garry o'connor and say he was a character and have a laugh about his escapades...we're not the first team to have a nutter in our ranks and we wont be the last...it adds a wee bit of colour to our lives and we should enjoy the drama while we have it.LOL that made me laugh, GOC like a Paul Merson-Tony Adams hybrid.

Monkey Harris
14-09-2011, 11:26 PM
I think we are now at the point where we have to look at life without O'Connor. From what I've seen so far this season, that is obviously a scenario that is alarming..It is becoming increasingly difficult to defend the guy. Drugs, fair enough, you can accept that people get themselves into difficulties with addiction, but insurance fraud? Pains me to say it but I think O'Connor's days are numbered at Easter Road, be that by way of custodial sentence or contract termination.Think we now have a chance of keeping him beyond the year now.

bighairyfaeleith
15-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Think we now have a chance of keeping him beyond the year now.

only if he gets day release on a saturday!!

Hibrandenburg
15-09-2011, 06:31 AM
You commit the crime then you do the time.
Silly laddy if true.

matty_f
15-09-2011, 08:18 AM
You commit the crime then you do the time. Silly laddy if true. I agree with that. If he is found guilty then he deserves everything that is coming.Until that time comes he is innocent and therefore has my full support.

down-the-slope
15-09-2011, 08:42 AM
There is a lot in this thread about 'Mistakes' ... etc....these are no mistakes..these are adult choices (bad ones if true)

Its no mistake when you (allegedly) fill false information on a form with legal implications..in an attempt to gain a significant amount of financial gain you have no entitlement to...

Just like those 'unemployed' who jump out the work van to sign on........

Gus
15-09-2011, 11:58 AM
It's because of idiots like GOC why insurance premiums are so high

I'm sick of talking about his "mistakes". Maybe a wee bit of time under her majesty may do him good, coz f all else has over the last 10 years

Hibby D
15-09-2011, 12:23 PM

I agree with both posts :top marks

We all make mistakes!

We do all make mistakes, you're right. But most people with a modicum of common sense then learn not to make the same mistakes again. Garry O'Connor just seems to go from one "mistake" to the next without any concern for those who love him (his family) and support him (us). He's stretching any admiration I once had for him very thinly now and I'm not sure where I stand anymore in regards to whether he's good or bad for Hibs.

One thing I do know though is that myself and the many others whose thoughts are similar to my own are neither "bed wetters" nor "moral high groundists" (sic) and I'm damn well sick of people resorting to this sort of name calling because our morals and beliefs differ from your own.

Judas Iscariot
15-09-2011, 12:37 PM
It's because of idiots like GOC why insurance premiums are so high

I'm sick of talking about his "mistakes". Maybe a wee bit of time under her majesty may do him good, coz f all else has over the last 10 years

How much do you reckon your car insurance will go up because of this!?

marinello59
15-09-2011, 01:07 PM

Shouldn't the question be ''How much do you think insurance premiums rise because of the total cost of insurance fraud?''

marinello59
15-09-2011, 01:08 PM
only if he gets day release on a saturday!!

Surely playing for Hibs counts as Community Service these days?

Betty Boop
15-09-2011, 01:12 PM

£40 a year according to this article. http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jul/19/fastest-car-insurance-cost-rise

Dashing Bob S
15-09-2011, 02:53 PM
If we're taking into account practices on the football field, then GO'C would be one of the few to escape fraud charges. But there are quite a few manifestly guilty of badly impersonating footballers and managers at ER,

--------
15-09-2011, 04:39 PM

We all make mistakes!

Insurance fraud isn't a 'mistake'. It's a criminal offence.

Involving quite a lot of money, since the car was a Ferrari Spider.

So we sign him for a year, nine months of which he's quite likely to spend in jail. Who thought it was a good idea to sign him in the first place?

Calderwood?

Or Petrie?

What a total boorach these people are making of a once fine football club.:grr:

greenlex
15-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Insurance fraud isn't a 'mistake'. It's a criminal offence.

Involving quite a lot of money, since the car was a Ferrari Spider.

So we sign him for a year, nine months of which he's quite likely to spend in jail. Who thought it was a good idea to sign him in the first place?

Calderwood?

Or Petrie?

What a total boorach these people are making of a once fine football club.:grr:
Whatever happened to innocent till proven guilty?

Hibrandenburg
15-09-2011, 05:51 PM
I agree with both posts :top marks

We do all make mistakes, you're right. But most people with a modicum of common sense then learn not to make the same mistakes again. Garry O'Connor just seems to go from one "mistake" to the next without any concern for those who love him (his family) and support him (us). He's stretching any admiration I once had for him very thinly now and I'm not sure where I stand anymore in regards to whether he's good or bad for Hibs.

One thing I do know though is that myself and the many others whose thoughts are similar to my own are neither "bed wetters" nor "moral high groundists" (sic) and I'm damn well sick of people resorting to this sort of name calling because our morals and beliefs differ from your own.

Well said D.

Gus
15-09-2011, 06:28 PM
How much do you reckon your car insurance will go up because of this!? Not relevant for me. was a generic statement because insurance fraud does have an impact on those people i rely on lifts from;-)

nortonhibby
15-09-2011, 07:21 PM

You have to slip into RPs shoes to figure that one out top Striker for free bit of baggage but for free not cost me any money okay bit of Charlie kicking around but for free no cost no transfer fee for free.

To be fair i doubt RP Knew about the drunk/drug driving inpending charge. He crashed the car done a runner and tried to claim insurance it does not take Columbo to figure this one out:confused:

jacomo
15-09-2011, 11:43 PM
in ten years time we'll look back on garry o'connor and say he was a character and have a laugh about his escapades...we're not the first team to have a nutter in our ranks and we wont be the last...it adds a wee bit of colour to our lives and we should enjoy the drama while we have it.

Agreed. To my surprise he's the best thing about the current team. Let's hope, if he is found guilty of any of this he learns his lesson. I'd have him back.

Dan Sarf
16-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Sounds like it's not getting better for him. From today's EEN:

Calderwood had to defer to a Hibs press spokesperson at the club's Tranent training ground yesterday when asked questions on issues in O'Connor's private life that have now become all too public. In between being cut across for a PR line to be delivered to the effect that Hibs would not comment on any such matters with a court case - and not the fraud one - on a "related" matter pending, the Leith's club's manager did a decent job of explaining his reasoning for retaining O'Connor, a player who only last week championed the forward for a recall to a Scotland international set-up wherein he was also stalked by his troubles.

Hibby D
16-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Sounds like it's not getting better for him. From today's EEN:

Calderwood had to defer to a Hibs press spokesperson at the club's Tranent training ground yesterday when asked questions on issues in O'Connor's private life that have now become all too public. In between being cut across for a PR line to be delivered to the effect that Hibs would not comment on any such matters with a court case - and not the fraud one - on a "related" matter pending, the Leith's club's manager did a decent job of explaining his reasoning for retaining O'Connor, a player who only last week championed the forward for a recall to a Scotland international set-up wherein he was also stalked by his troubles.

:dizzy:

Translation please :confused:

Dan Sarf
16-09-2011, 10:15 AM
:dizzy:

Translation please :confused:

Sounds to me like he's got another charge to face.

--------
16-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Whatever happened to innocent till proven guilty?

Whatever happened to living in the real world?

Someone thought it a good idea to sign up a player with multiple criminal charges hanging over him.

That really doesn't seem to me to have been a good idea.

Especially when we go on about being a club seeking to attract and develop talented kids into professional footballers. Great incentive to dads and mums that - sign up at Hibs and your son too can have a life like Garry O's...

And we point the finger at other clubs. :rolleyes:

greenlex
16-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Whatever happened to living in the real world?

Someone thought it a good idea to sign up a player with multiple criminal charges hanging over him.

That really doesn't seem to me to have been a good idea.

Especially when we go on about being a club seeking to attract and develop talented kids into professional footballers. Great incentive to dads and mums that - sign up at Hibs and your son too can have a life like Garry O's...

And we point the finger at other clubs. :rolleyes:

FWIW I wouldnt have had him near the club and said so at the time. "It will end in tears" was my actual phrase. Having said that you have tried and found both him and the board guilty of their charges of Possesion of drugs/fraud and stupidity/ neglect respectively.
I am sure the board will act and tear up O'Connors contract if the need arises.