PDA

View Full Version : ****Adverts On hibs.net****

Mikey
13-09-2011, 05:39 PM
One or two people seem to have been having problems with the adverts not loading properly on the site. We've turned some of them off for now but they'll need to come back soon!

There's something you can try at home which could well sort your problem.

Make sure your browser is as up to date as possible. If your PC runs Windows Vista or Windows 7 you should be using Internet Explorer 9. You can download that from here......

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/internet-explorer/products/ie/home

If your PC is running Windows XP then you can't upgrade to IE9 and you're stuck with IE8. You would therefore be better trying another browser such as......

Firefox - http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Opera - http://www.opera.com/

Google Chrome - http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en-GB/landing_tv.html

I'm not suggesting that you do these updates just so that you can read hibs.net, you should do them for your own online security. Older browsers leave your PC more susceptible to attack.

The adverts are a necessary evil. They allow us to raise sufficient funds to pay the bills. The site costs around £300 a month (no, that's not a typo, it's £300 a month) to run and the money has to come from somewhere.

An alternative would be to take out Private Membership for £10 a year. This helps with the server costs and in return Private Members don't see the adverts. They also get a few other wee perks too.

If you would like to take out Private Membership please PM either me or HNA9.

If you're still having problems after trying the above please PM me and I'll get someone who knows what they're doing to look at it :greengrin

derekHFC
13-09-2011, 07:51 PM
The tenner a year is worth it alone for getting rid of the adverts :greengrin

PM = nae adverts :agree:

Gatecrasher
13-09-2011, 07:53 PM
What Adverts? :wink:

down-the-slope
13-09-2011, 09:59 PM
The tenner a year is worth it alone for getting rid of the adverts :greengrin

PM = nae adverts :agree:

Its true :agree:...certainly its not for the quality of PM board posters.....:rolleyes:

:devil: kidding fellow PM's :greengrin

BroxburnHibee
13-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Said it before - private membership works out at less than 3p a day :thumbsup:

Appreciate that a few people have had problems and we are trying to fix it.

Of course if there was a rich benefactor out there who really really loved dotnet..................:wink:

SkintHibby
14-09-2011, 04:09 AM
The adverts on this site are HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE and make coming on this site hell. I use my netbook most of the time and whether it be with Opera, IE9, Chrome or Firefox, this site is a stuttering, stalling hell.
:grr:

It's funny how this site went from near advert free to advert crazy just to survive. Somebody must be making a pretty penny from this!:agree:

Adverts are WAY OTT on this site!

Lucius Apuleius
14-09-2011, 05:21 AM
The adverts on this site are HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE and make coming on this site hell. I use my netbook most of the time and whether it be with Opera, IE9, Chrome or Firefox, this site is a stuttering, stalling hell.

It's funny how this site went from near advert free to advert crazy just to survive. Somebody must be making a pretty penny from this!:agree:

Oh dear. I will leave this to an admin for a wholehearted answer.

marinello59
14-09-2011, 05:57 AM

Any money left over here after our server costs are paid is donated to various causes as has been well documented over the years. Hibs Youth development has been the main recipient as most regular users will know but there are others.
Our techie guys are giving up far more of their free time than is sensible to try and ensure that the vast majorty of posters continue to enjoy using this site.Making false accusations like that will make them wonder why they bother. I assume that you will be along later to apologise.

Allant1981
14-09-2011, 06:44 AM
FAO skint hibby, the problem is easily solved. Either pay a tenner like the rest of us, dont come back on the site or just put up with it

DaveF
14-09-2011, 07:21 AM

:faf::faf::faf:

As superhibi1 has said there is a solution so you can decide on his excellent advice.

As for the money thing - well, how else do you expect the Admin team to fund their cocaine habits :rolleyes:

HNA6
14-09-2011, 07:31 AM
:faf::faf::faf:

As superhibi1 has said there is a solution so you can decide on his excellent advice.

As for the money thing - well, how else do you expect the Admin team to fund their cocaine habits :rolleyes::eek:

SkintHibby
14-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Sorry, yes I was defo a bit wayward with my comments and since I'm not a regular I was totally unaware of what money went where so again, apologies.:agree:

I absolutely despise the growing amounts of advertising on here though - fair enough if the adverts were static but forums are hopeless when they're embedded with flash adverts.

FranckSuzy
14-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Sorry, yes I was defo a bit wayward with my comments and since I'm not a regular I was totally unaware of what money went where so again, apologies.:agree:

I absolutely despise the growing amounts of advertising on here though - fair enough if the adverts were static but forums are hopeless when they're embedded with flash adverts.

There is a solution........and it costs £10 :wink:

R'Albin
14-09-2011, 07:00 PM

Wow.

derekHFC
14-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Said it before - private membership works out at less than 3p a day :thumbsup:

Appreciate that a few people have had problems and we are trying to fix it.

Of course if there was a rich benefactor out there who really really loved dotnet..................:wink:

Just a few more bans to hand out :greengrin

R'Albin
14-09-2011, 08:04 PM

:greengrin

BroxburnHibee
14-09-2011, 09:16 PM

:tsk tsk:

:greengrin