PDA

View Full Version : CL money madness

down-the-slope
13-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Prize money for the this season's Champions League will be the same as last year, Uefa have announced - meaning that English clubs in Europe can earn up to£50m if they win the competition. Arsenal, Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United are guaranteed £22.5m even if they fail to qualify for the knock-out stages.

thats 3.5 times our total annual turnover for failure to get out of group stage.........

CheesyHibby
13-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Prize money for the this season's Champions League will be the same as last year, Uefa have announced - meaning that English clubs in Europe can earn up to£50m if they win the competition. Arsenal, Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United are guaranteed £22.5m even if they fail to qualify for the knock-out stages. thats 3.5 times our total annual turnover for failure to get out of group stage.........Can't say I'm awfully surprised. 22.5 mill seems a ridiculous sum as a reward for what is essentially a failure.

down-the-slope
13-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Can't say I'm awfully surprised. 22.5 mill seems a ridiculous sum as a reward for what is essentially a failure.

Failure a second time for a good number who in fact are not Champions League at all...would love that name to be challenged in the courts as it is factually incorrect and misleading........

The_Exile
13-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Parity, that's what I love about this game! We should go down the NFL route, equal money for everyone no matter how many times you're on the telly, have a college draft system, imagine having articulate, intelligent football players?!! 22.5 million for getting pumped in the champions league is beyond words. Although I feel slightly guilty as it's the only football competition I actually get excited about these days!

CheesyHibby
13-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Parity, that's what I love about this game! We should go down the NFL route, equal money for everyone no matter how many times you're on the telly, have a college draft system, imagine having articulate, intelligent football players?!! 22.5 million for getting pumped in the champions league is beyond words. Although I feel slightly guilty as it's the only football competition I actually get excited about these days!I suppose you pay the most money for the best games, and as you say it's generally a very exciting tourney, especially in its latter stages. 22.5 mill tho, think how many junior agogos we could buy for that! Ha!

bob12345
14-09-2011, 12:36 AM
It just widens the gap between the big few countries and the rest, they are facilitating superleagues and superclubs - even ten years ago a dozen clubs could win this competition.

HibeesLA
14-09-2011, 06:23 AM
have a college draft system, imagine having articulate, intelligent football players?!!

Er... Whilst not saying this is every Football player, but the Colleges are always getting frowned upon for giving out grades to football players that they haven't earned. These kids go on sports scholarships, not academic record.
As - said, this isn't everyone, but trust me, football locker rooms aren't the Harvard debating society.