PDA

View Full Version : Gary O named tonight on ch4???

kj79
12-09-2011, 05:05 PM
http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2011/09/12/exclusive-former-birmingham-striker-garry-oconnor-had-cocaine-test-kept-secret-to-aid-recovery-120902/

Was linked on twitter by a Yam but seems pretty certain :confused::confused:

hibs0666
12-09-2011, 05:13 PM
http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2011/09/12/exclusive-former-birmingham-striker-garry-oconnor-had-cocaine-test-kept-secret-to-aid-recovery-120902/

Neither wonder he had a honking game on Sunday when he knew this was going public.

.Sean.
12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
To be fair there have been rumours circulating for years about his apparant illicit activities.

However if this is true I hope the club do stand by him.

Cropley10
12-09-2011, 05:21 PM
No body has died.

Charlie is a HUGE problem. It does not aid performance either.

It does allow you to stay up very late, drink like a fish whilst talking incessantly about oneself. Apparently.

hibsbollah
12-09-2011, 05:30 PM
1 million users in the UK, and 5% of all young people are users. Id imagine the percentage of footballers marching with the Colombians is well above that. There will be dozens of users in the SPL every weekendand it will have no obvious impact on their performance in the short term.

Anyone trying to make Garry O out to be somethung unusual or a pariah is an idiot.

HFC 0-7
12-09-2011, 05:35 PM
1 million users in the UK, and 5% of all young people are users. Id imagine the percentage of footballers marching with the Colombians is well above that. There will be dozens of users in the SPL every weekendand it will have no obvious impact on their performance in the short term.

Anyone trying to make Garry O out to be somethung unusual or a pariah is an idiot.

Maybe the cause of why the SPL is gash and why the national team is gash?

iwasthere1972
12-09-2011, 05:36 PM
He's the only player to have scored for us in the SPL this season so if I was Colin Calderwood I would be making sure that the other players have some of what Garry O' has/is snorting.

snooky
12-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Otolaryngology folk ken what's gaun oan. :wink:

Bristolhibby
12-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I am sure we signed him having full knowledge of his past.

J

Scouse Hibee
12-09-2011, 06:03 PM

That makes it ok then :rolleyes:

Nando™
12-09-2011, 06:09 PM
He said that right enough :rolleyes:

greenlex
12-09-2011, 06:16 PM
I would be really shocked if Garry was involved with this sort of activity.

Scouse Hibee
12-09-2011, 06:19 PM
He said that right enough :rolleyes:

No he never, read his post again you're mistaken!

hibiedude
12-09-2011, 06:26 PM

It says it names dozens including a EPL players

Ian Black is also a cert

hibsbollah
12-09-2011, 06:45 PM
The programme starts in twenty minutes so we'll find out shortly. They'll need to be careful about hiw tgey report the Rio Ferdinand story...i wouldnt like to be sued by Man Utds lawyers...

Nando™
12-09-2011, 07:09 PM
No he never, read his post again you're mistaken!
:eek:

Pedantic_Hibee
12-09-2011, 07:09 PM
It's GOC.

SteveHFC
12-09-2011, 07:10 PM
O'Connor named.

essexhibee
12-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Embarrassment. :rolleyes:

R'Albin
12-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Hope it's not too bad :paranoid:

Edit- Taping it if any are wondering..

DarrenSQH
12-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Garry O is the main story so far.

Explains why we have him back.

HibeeMcGinn1
12-09-2011, 07:14 PM
not good

col02
12-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Garry O is the main story so far.

Explains why we have him back.

Any player of decent pedigree we have had in recent times has been flawed and I do not see that changing anytime soon! Maybe those punters who backed the players over Collins should revise their opinion given the lack of professionalism since then that has been evident at our club!

DarrenSQH
12-09-2011, 07:19 PM
I have no idea why the FA protected Garry O but hung Rio Ferdinand out to dry just before a world cup.

Kaiser1962
12-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Any player of decent pedigree we have had in recent times has been flawed and I do not see that changing anytime soon! Maybe those punters who backed the players over Collins should revise their opinion given the lack of professionalism since then that has been evident at our club!

Who did that?

.Sean.
12-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Sky signal isn't working, how bad is it?

Will this show be available on 4OD tonight?

Future17
12-09-2011, 07:33 PM
To be fair there have been rumours circulating for years about his apparant illicit activities.

However if this is true I hope the club do stand by him.

:agree:

Probably wouldn't hurt for GOC to make a statement or face the press about the issue (if appropriate) though.

col02
12-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Who did that?

Plenty people on this board did this very thing by ridiculing Collins at any given opportunity post players revolt. I do not want to detract further from the thread other than to say there is a distinct lack of professionalism at our club that is put down by many as the footballers just being ordinary guys. This might be true but they are ordinary guys who earn more for one week than most punters earn in a month if not two.

bigstu
12-09-2011, 07:48 PM
its not made good viewing for GOC so far & he's been the headline player on the programme so far! Drugs should never be taken but surely we should be helping him with his drug problem rather than punting him like some will suggest, if he shows he can get clean then he'd surely be worth a second chance in life!

HFC 0-7
12-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Sky signal isn't working, how bad is it?

Will this show be available on 4OD tonight?

First part of the program was pretty much all about o connor. How mcleish basically covered for him saying he needed an operation which just happened to be at the same time he was given a ban by the FA. Then Barnsley were on saying they never knew anything about the ban. Doesnt look particularly good for o connor and wouldnt imagine it will help with any pending legal proceeding, if there are any, against him.

hibs0666
12-09-2011, 07:51 PM
its not made good viewing for GOC so far & he's been the headline player on the programme so far! Drugs should never be taken but surely we should be helping him with his drug problem rather than punting him like some will suggest, if he shows he can get clean then he'd surely be worth a second chance in life!

Except he's about to go to court on possession charges

Kaiser1962
12-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Plenty people on this board did this very thing by ridiculing Collins at any given opportunity post players revolt. I do not want to detract further from the thread other than to say there is a distinct lack of professionalism at our club that is put down by many as the footballers just being ordinary guys. This might be true but they are ordinary guys who earn more for one week than most punters earn in a month if not two.

I think that this board generally supported Collins and can't really think of any who "ridiculed" Collins. Plenty feel that, wrongly IMO, that the board backed the players and that has been the main bone of contention on here.

Maybe my memories going but, as you say, there are plenty other threads about this particular incident.

DC_Hibs
12-09-2011, 07:54 PM
I've no doubt there are hundreds of professional players in the UK who have taken cocaine.
The issue I have is that this story is supposed to be from a year or two back yet he was arrested for a possession offence this summer.

He wasnt a Hibs employee at either point so I can't see any action being taken by Hibs but hopefully they will be subjecting him to regular testing.
First name of the team sheet for Saturday please Caldo.

There isn't any cure for this unfortunately, he is and always will be a bit of a phanny!

Kaiser1962
12-09-2011, 07:58 PM
While not condoning the use of Cocaine it is part of the scene/culture, call it what you will, these days. I would add that more lives are destroyed by alcohol, which is perfectly legal, and lots more players take a drink. Is there any evidence that GOC's behaviour was anything other than decent?

Alfred E Newman
12-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Watching him lumber about half a yard of the pace on Sunday underlines what is wrong with our club at the moment. The fact that he is currently our best striking option makes it even worse.

Hiber-nation
12-09-2011, 08:03 PM
While not condoning the use of Cocaine it is part of the scene/culture, call it what you will, these days. I would add that more lives are destroyed by alcohol, which is perfectly legal, and lots more players take a drink. Is there any evidence that GOC's behaviour was anything other than decent?

Maybe but if you read Maradona's book (and he should know) he consistently states that cocaine completely knackers you as a player.

Barney McGrew
12-09-2011, 08:04 PM
It's just about to start on Channel 4 +1 if you missed it (Sky channel 135)

GodisaHibee
12-09-2011, 08:09 PM
If the laddie has a problem, then the club and us have a duty of care to protect him and help all we can.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a long standing problem that has never been properly addressed.

I'm dismayed by the whole thing and , as far as I'm concerned, seems to be endemic in the apathy that runs our club.

At this point in time, lose GOC, we will struggle to avoid relegation.

I know GOC himself will be cringing at this and I really hope the board support him from a personal point of few.

BUT, and it's a big BUT. SOMETHING needs to happen. We are rolling from bad result, to worse result to disaster and anyone that says 'we need to give things a chance' clearly doesn't understand what's happening.

Sorry, the truth hurts, but there it is.

hibsbollah
12-09-2011, 08:10 PM

You think so? :greengrin

Its definitely NOT okay; extremely dangerous for a professional athlete, as it puts extra pressure on your heart.

Kaiser1962
12-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Maybe but if you read Maradona's book (and he should know) he consistently states that cocaine completely knackers you as a player.

So do lots of other things.

Its a pity ours players appear to do them all :greengrin

Cabbage East
12-09-2011, 08:15 PM
I have no idea why the FA protected Garry O but hung Rio Ferdinand out to dry just before a world cup.

Probably because he refused a drugs test. The punishment for refusing to take a drugs test will always be more severe than actually failing one.

since90plustwo
12-09-2011, 08:16 PM
everyone deserves a second chance. O'connor is no different. back him 1000%

vanNISHtelroy
12-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Agree with you, just interested....were you one of the folk who had that opinion when it was Andy McLaren for example or does the facts hes at Hibs change things?

Alfred E Newman
12-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Surely you mean a third chance if he was caught in possession during the summer?

Kaiser1962
12-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Agree with you, just interested....were you one of the folk who had that opinion when it was Andy McLaren for example or does the facts hes at Hibs change things?

A couple of Yams were telling me when they were desperate to boot Thomson that Ian Black (and another I forget) should go as well for possession. I am happy to say now that I told them to get a grip and you couldn't possibly compare the two crimes.

I will be reminding them of this standpoint tomorrow. :greengrin

sunshine1875
12-09-2011, 08:33 PM
It never fails to amuse me, the double standards on Hibs.net. If this had been Ian Black and we had not signed GOC, this forum would have been full of people saying that it was shameful the Hertz FC had not sacked the player.

Barney McGrew
12-09-2011, 08:35 PM
It never fails to amuse me, the double standards on Hibs.net. If this had been Ian Black and we had not signed GOC, this forum would have been full of people saying that it was shameful the Hertz FC had not sacked the player.

I think you'll find when Black got caught earlier in the summer at the same time as O'Connor the overall reaction was one that it was not a sacking offence.

Nameless
12-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Doesn't surprise me that GO'C has been outed, as it was not much of a secret in the first place. I don't agree with having a coke head at the club, but as others have said, it is part of the culture now so what can we do. If we do sack him he would probably sue us for unfair dismissal:rolleyes:

sunshine1875
12-09-2011, 08:39 PM
I think you'll find when Black got caught earlier in the summer at the same time as O'Connor the overall reaction was one that it was not a sacking offence.

But I said "had we not signed GOC". The fact that people on here were saying it wasn't a sackable offence was because we had someone else caught for the same offence. Had we not signed GOC, the reaction would have been different!

sunshine1875
12-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Channel 4's investigative news program " Dispatches " teased Monday night's episode on the TRUTH about drugs in football by saying they would reveal a " top Premier League footballer " who tested positive for cocaine and had it hidden from the club that bought him in a "multimillion pound deal."

Discussing this on Twitter quickly prompted people to guess names like Nasri, Carroll and Meireles, but, as we really should've known, the truth was far more hype than revelation.

So who is the multimillion-pound top Premier League player? Known user and sometimes Scotland striker Garry O'Connor, formerly of Birmingham City but now with Hibernian in the Scottish Premier League. What he is the "top" of, I'm still not sure. And according to Sporting Intelligence , his drug test wasn't kept secret to dupe another club into taking him, but to help him recover from drug and alcohol problems without anymore publicity than necessary...

Birmingham are understood to have been praised for the pastoral care of their player at the time, and the relevant authorities and agencies, including the FA and Sporting Chance clinic, are believed to have agreed with how the case was handled. Sportingintelligence has not confirmed the length of ban O'Connor served but the UK Anti-Doping database contains details of a two-month ban for a metabolite of cocaine around the relevant time , with no name give for the offender. [...]

O'Connor has, in the past, commanded fees of millions of pounds, for example when sold by Hibs to Lokomotiv Moscow in 2006 for £1.6m, and then when sold for a reported £2.7m to Birmingham in 2007.

But since his drugs test — which sources say was in the 2009-10 Premier League season, when O'Connor missed the majority of the season with a hip problem — the player has not changed hands for any money. He spent time on loan at Barnsley and then moved to Hibs as a free agent this summer.

It seems O'Connor didn't get enough help for his addictions because just last week, police accused him of possessing cocaine and running away from them. From Scotsman :

O'Connor, who earned his first Scotland cap at the age of 18, is alleged to have resisted, molested and hindered Lothian and Borders Police constables Kathy Eager and Andrew Morrow who were on duty. He is said to have run away from them while they were attempting to establish his details. The offence is alleged to have happened on 14 May this year in Hope Street Lane, Edinburgh.

When you're getting charged with molesting police, Channel 4 programs are pretty much the least of your worries. Hopefully Garry gets the help he needs soon.

Allant1981
12-09-2011, 08:49 PM
To be honest i dont care what the guy does in his spare time, if he was a relation of mine or my employee then yip id be telling him to get a grip and get himself sorted out, at the end of the day we are fans of the club and unless anyone is either of the above then its nowt to do with us

Barney McGrew
12-09-2011, 08:53 PM
But I said "had we not signed GOC". The fact that people on here were saying it wasn't a sackable offence was because we had someone else caught for the same offence. Had we not signed GOC, the reaction would have been different!

I don't think it would have TBH. We'd have had a good giggle no doubt, but cocaine use is that endemic in society now that it's pretty much part and parcel of it unfortunately.

Hiber-nation
12-09-2011, 08:54 PM

I think you'll find that Andy McLaren got 100% backing on here re his addiction. Once he had signed for us that is, even if it was for just 1 game :greengrin

CraigHibee
12-09-2011, 08:59 PM

totally!

the club must have had some idea this was coming up, as far as everyone is concerned it happened when he was in birmingham and he's kickstarting things up here.

he has my backing for sure

Barney McGrew
12-09-2011, 09:01 PM
The plot thickens.....

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110912/channel-4-dispatches_2262950_2448998

sunshine1875
12-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Former Birmingham striker Garry O'Connor has been revealed as the Barclays Premier League player to fail an FA drugs test for cocaine.

The 28-year-old, who was arrested in Edinburgh on suspicion of possessing cocaine just four months ago, was named on Monday night's Channel 4 Dispatches programme after being tested in October, 2009.

Out injured at the time, he served a two-month FA suspension that was never made public before starting a loan spell at Barnsley, who were not informed of his drug ban.

Barnsley general manager Dan Rowling hit out at Birmingham for failing to disclose details of why O'Connor had been sidelined, saying: 'If we had known, we would not have signed him, but we had no idea. No-one told us anything.'

The programme claimed to have found evidence of 21 positive tests for cocaine since 2003, including striker Elvis Hammond, who was given a six-month ban for having the drug in his system while at Fulham.

It also highlighted apparent discrepancies over sentencing, with Shaun Newton suspended for seven months after failing a test at the end of West Ham's FA Cup semi-final win over Middlesbrough in 2006, when matchday offences are meant to carry a two-year ban.

It alleged that a former England striker was one of three ex-internationals to be implicated over testosterone use after a sample in September 2007 showed suspiciously high reading.

Though the programme claimed to know the player's identity, it chose not to name him for legal reasons.

Former Chelsea player Leon Knight claimed cocaine use was commonplace, saying: 'Loads of footballers are taking it. They've got lots of money, and it brings the girls in, so they do it.'

Monkey Harris
12-09-2011, 09:10 PM
I have no idea why the FA protected Garry O but hung Rio Ferdinand out to dry just before a world cup. Rio never failed a drug test. He skipped out on taking a Sport UK drug test. Imo, Rio thought being a Man U player he could get away with avoiding to take the test, giving time for the drugs out his system. Rightly he got the book thrown at him.

sunshine1875
12-09-2011, 09:10 PM
The Football Association will defend its policy of keeping the identity of players who fail drug tests for recreational substances confidential in the wake of a Channel 4 documentary that named a Scottish international as one of those who had served a ban in secret.

The Dispatches documentary revealed that the former Birmingham City striker Garry O'Connor failed a drug test for cocaine when he played for the club, believed to be during the 2009-10 season, with his ban coinciding with an injury.

In its pre-publicity, Channel 4 had said the programme would reveal a multimillion-pound footballer was transferred without the buying club being informed he had failed a drugs test. O'Connor fits the multimillion-pound tag having moved from Hibernian to Lokomotiv Moscow in 2006 for £1.6m and to Birmingham to for £2.7m a year later.

The player later moved to Barnsley on a free transfer and returned to Hibs this summer when out of contract, but has this season returned to something approaching his best form.

The FA has long had a policy of testing for recreational drugs, which it argues it is not required to do by the World Anti-Doping Agency, but keeping positive tests confidential if they are not recorded "in competition" on a match day.

The FA will argue that the vast majority of those who fail tests for cocaine and cannabis are young players whose names should remain confidential in order to give them the best chance of rehabilitation. The programme said it had seen details revealing the identities of "dozens" of players, whose failed tests are listed on the UK Anti-Doping website but whose names remain confidential.

"The FA prohibits all the doping offences listed in the World Anti-Doping Agency code and applies all the sanctions laid down in the code for those offences," an FA spokesman said.

"In addition, the FA, supported by all the football stakeholders, recognise the issues that social drugs may cause and choose to go beyond the Wada code by proactively testing all samples for social drugs, irrespective of whether the tests are conducted in or out of competition. Football is one of the only sports in the UK that ban social drugs at all times, and were the first to do so.

"Any player who tests positive for a social drug out of competition is charged and subject to a sanction which ordinarily includes a suspension from all football activity for a period of up to six months for a first-time offence.

"They are also subject to target testing for a period of two years. The FA do not report the name of the player as this offence is not a Wada Code offence and privacy allows for the player to undergo any necessary rehabilitation and counselling."

O'Connor, who won his first Scottish cap at 18 and has played 16 times for his country, was due to appear in court in Edinburgh last week accused of possessing cocaine and running away from police when they attempted to take his details. O'Connor was absent but the sheriff court continued the case without plea until later this month.

The 28-year-old, who was charged shortly after rejoining Hibs in June, was on Monday believed to be waiting for the programme to air before deciding how to respond.

The programme also discovered that between April 2007 and August 2010, 240 drugs tests had to be abandoned because testers turned up at training grounds but players were not there. The clubs involved included Manchester City, Liverpool, Fulham, Everton, Newcastle, Swansea and Crystal Palace.

But FA insiders said those figures equated to 60 abandoned tests, because each one involved testing four participants. They said that averaged out at five abandoned testing missions due to last-minute schedule changes per league per season, including youth and reserve teams.

The documentary also claimed that internal documents revealed UK Anti-Doping believed the six-month ban handed to Manchester City striker Kolo Touré for taking a banned substance found in slimming pills was "weak".

"UKAD always seeks expert opinion on a decision that may be considered, or perceived to be considered, lenient to defend the interests of clean sport," said a spokeswoman. "UKAD, Fifa, the FA and Wada had the opportunity to appeal the Kolo Touré decision. However, following legal consultation, UK Anti-Doping deemed that an appeal lacked the necessary point of law."

edwards
12-09-2011, 09:12 PM
I still give Garry my full support and hope he reads this, if so stick a coupe of goals in against Dumfy Garry, put the past behind you and lets get some good performances on the board.

Jonnyboy
12-09-2011, 09:14 PM
With the abuse so, allegedly, widespread I wonder why the programme makers chose to highlight GOC? I'd be surprised if they are not taken to task over it

Barney McGrew
12-09-2011, 09:17 PM
With the abuse so, allegedly, widespread I wonder why the programme makers chose to highlight GOC? I'd be surprised if they are not taken to task over it

They mentioned they knew of nineteen bans but mentioned only half the players by name.

All the build up has focused on an 'EPL star', but with all due respect to Garry I'd hardly say he falls into that category. They did say that there was an Everton player banned but didn't name him, so I wonder if that was the person they intended on naming but changed their mind for some reason :dunno:

Nelly070
12-09-2011, 09:17 PM

Easy target I'd guess given that his arrest has recently just been publicised.

Monkey Harris
12-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Non story, we have all known Garry loves the Charlie.

Now the rest of the UK has been clued up.

chrisski33
12-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Perhaps the media should look within too at how much folk. in the media use drugs

eastmainsmsh
12-09-2011, 09:26 PM
100 % backing Garry O Connor ....Everyone makes mistakes in life ....Paul Merson ,Gazza ,Andy Mclaren,Frank Mcavennie, Barry Lavety etc

All battled there demons and received help

Hope Big Man knocks them in and sticks 2 figers up to everybody esp the 2 face Jambo barstewards ...

Ian Black.....Roman Bednar pot the kettle eh :flag:

hibeemarley
12-09-2011, 09:27 PM
boys will be boys

keep the faith
12-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Garry's level of effort and enthusiasm since coming back looks to me like someone looking to come home and make a fresh start.

Im sure the makers of tonights show would have been hounding him for an interview and he must have known that this was coming yesterday. Im not surprised he was off the pace against the Dons.

If he is clean and ready to change then I back him 100% and I hope the rest of the Hibs family here do too.

Hibs90
12-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Just watching it now, what absolute cretins and the guy presenting is a total dweeb.

Albion Hibs
12-09-2011, 09:40 PM
The guy has made a mistake, a big one at that. But it looks like he has paid the price, and he is now trying to get his life back on track. He may have used it casually he may have been addicted, if it is the latter then it is a disease which will require treatment which I hope he gets, and I am sure he will be. If it is the former then he needs to lay off and get back to doing what he does best.

In terms of him at Hibs we have to take the view that he has cleaned up his act and therefore should be supported by us, his fans. In the modern world there is no reason he cannot be viewed as more of a role model having made a mistake a cleaned up his act, and got his life back on track.

Ozyhibby
12-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Sorry to go against the grain here but I think he should be sacked. By hiring him the club are basically saying to all the young lads at the academy that 'it's ok to take cocaine so long as your good'. Discipline at Hibs is disgraceful just now and it is showing on the park. I've seen fitter teams playing Saturday amateurs.

Albion Hibs
12-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Sorry to go against the grain here but I think he should be sacked. By hiring him the club are basically saying to all the young lads at the academy that 'it's ok to take cocaine so long as your good'. Discipline at Hibs is disgraceful just now and it is showing on the park. I've seen fitter teams playing Saturday amateurs.

I dont think so.

By firing him what are you saying, make one mistake in your life and you are finished. How about showing the young guys how much you can lose, and using that as an incentive to educate the younger guys.

Spike Mandela
12-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Club nip it in the bud...:rolleyes:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110912/channel-4-dispatches_2262950_2448998

Ozyhibby
12-09-2011, 09:51 PM
One mistake? All the evidence is that it is more than one mistake. Do we even know he has gone clean now? If it was just one incident then you might be inclined to give a second chance, but to be then charged with possession after he has been through rehab and been protected by his club is just taking the single fish.

Ozyhibby
12-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Wonder how many on here would be advocating a second chance if it was Michael Hart in trouble?

Iain G
12-09-2011, 10:00 PM
I dont think so.

By firing him what are you saying, make one mistake in your life and you are finished. How about showing the young guys how much you can lose, and using that as an incentive to educate the younger guys.

Was Grant Brebner not punted off to Melbourne as the club didn't want certain of his habits influencing the youngsters coming through into the first team?

I do hope Garry comes out with a statement in the press, if it is an ongoing problem that he wants to get past then he will need the support of family, friends and the club to help him.

3pm
12-09-2011, 10:05 PM
It's the closest we'll get to having any speed in our starting XI.

IberianHibernian
12-09-2011, 10:09 PM
If he hadn`t had any offield problems he wouldn`t have signed for us so can`t understand any criticism now .

sesoim
12-09-2011, 10:09 PM
I dont think so.

I think he might have taken it a fair few times than once.

I don't like O'Connor, and there are too many unsavoury stories surrounding him, but although I am totally against drugs, I actually don't think someone should be sacked for taking drugs if it isn't affecting their job or behaviour.

If it is, boot them.

sesoim
12-09-2011, 10:14 PM
The guy has made a mistake, a big one at that. But it looks like he has paid the price, and he is now trying to get his life back on track. He may have used it casually he may have been addicted, if it is the latter then it is a disease which will require treatment which I hope he gets, and I am sure he will be. If it is the former then he needs to lay off and get back to doing what he does best.

In terms of him at Hibs we have to take the view that he has cleaned up his act and therefore should be supported by us, his fans. In the modern world there is no reason he cannot be viewed as more of a role model having made a mistake a cleaned up his act, and got his life back on track.

I'm sure Craig Thomson will be hoping for the same kind of support.

Jim44
12-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Birmingham are understood to have been praised for the pastoral care of their player at the time, and the relevant authorities and agencies, including the FA and Sporting Chance clinic, are believed to have agreed with how the case was handled. Sportingintelligence has not confirmed the length of ban O'Connor served but the UK Anti-Doping database contains details of a two-month ban for a metabolite of cocaine around the relevant time , with no name give for the offender

It's a pity that Birmingham City's 'commendable' care didn't have any lasting effect on O'Connor's attitude to his alleged problem.

the club must have had some idea this was coming up, as far as everyone is concerned it happened when he was in birmingham and he's kickstarting things up here.

Kickstarting what? ............ his career or his problem?

I'm a bit dismayed at the level of 'acceptance' of 'leisure drug taking' expressed on this forum. It seems that the argument is 'it's so common in society that it's an acceptable form of behaviour'. This flies in the face of medical opinion which stresses that the use of these drugs is physically and mentally harmful.

Going back to O'Connor's situation, had the involvement of the police not arisen, the continuation of his behaviour might now be very seriously and uncontrolably underway. Let's hope that the pending legal proceedings and now very public scrutiny has the desired effect in allowing O'Connor to adopt a lifestyle conducive to the well-being and status of a professional sportsman.

hibsbollah
12-09-2011, 10:15 PM
He looks full of running late in games, has lost weight and is scoring goals late in games. There's no evidence anywhere that hes currently using cocaine. Im really hoping this story doesnt effect his game...hes been our one bright spot this season.

silverhibee
12-09-2011, 10:16 PM

Probably wouldn't hurt for GOC to make a statement or face the press about the issue (if appropriate) though.

Garry will say nothing regarding this, he is due in court soon for possession of cocaine.

silverhibee
12-09-2011, 10:19 PM

A second chance, surely he had that at Brum two years ago and it doesn't look like he has learnt from his mistakes in the past.

Albion Hibs
12-09-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm sure Craig Thomson will be hoping for the same kind of support.

If you think taking drugs and getting involved with children are on the same level then you perhaps need to have a word. Totally different spectrums for me, totally different.

silverhibee
12-09-2011, 10:29 PM
totally!

the club must have had some idea this was coming up, as far as everyone is concerned it happened when he was in birmingham and he's kickstarting things up here.he has my backing for sure

You do know that he was charged in the summer with possession of cocaine, inocent until proven guilty i know, but when you get caught with the stuff in the police station then there is only going to be one out come.

silverhibee
12-09-2011, 10:40 PM

Are you forgeting what he was charged with in the summer, does it look like he is learning from his mistakes, he was banned from football for two months for testing positive for cocaine, two years later and he has been charged with possession of cocaine and obstructing the police, seems like he has a serious problem, i am sure Brum done everything to help him but if you dont want to be helped what can you do.

Green&White
12-09-2011, 10:48 PM
How some people are at all surprised by this is beyond me.

I posted it just before we signed him that I know for a fact he was on weekly doses of Charlie when he was first at hibs. This does not looked to have stopped. So for how many years has he been pumping it into his body?!

Got to say if we knew about it how did hIbs not? And if they did it shows u how desperate we are for any kind of half decent player.

He's had plenty of chances/years and clubs to sort himself out. Maybe he's sorted it now, but he's made a mess of his career as a very talented player. Wonder where he culd have been if it weren't for the years of drug abuse....

MrSmith
12-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Tough one but hopefully he is on the mend and can make a fresh start of it at ER.

Makaveli
12-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Wealthy Edinburgh lad in cocaine shock! :rolleyes:

He looks fitter than he's been in ages so whatever he's been up to is working...

McIntosh
12-09-2011, 11:19 PM
This man needs our support and I hope this is what he is given.

McD
12-09-2011, 11:24 PM
I did find it interesting that GOC's name, image, and brief resume of his career were discussed at length, and yet the 'England International' was left nameless after 'we decided to withhold this player's name'.

Easy target for the programme in GOC, someone who due to upcoming charges, current situation (no longer in Prem, trying to get career restarted), as opposed to some former English international who is likely to have far more media clout, access to better legal counsel.

Bit of a copout by the programme producers, after banging the drum about naming and shaming 'stars', with all due respect and no offence intended, I doubt Garry himself would describe himself as a star down south.

Jamesie
12-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Wonder what our owner, as the chair of the Scottish Government's advisory group, Scotland Against Drugs, in the late 1990s makes of all of this.

Barney McGrew
12-09-2011, 11:32 PM
This man needs our support and I hope this is what he is given.

:top marks

Judas Iscariot
13-09-2011, 06:23 AM
No surprise really that the English grassed up a Scottish player under a Scottish manager is it now?!

Until he does something illegal whilst signed for Hibs whatever GOC has done previous has hee haw to do with us..

At least he's no been trying to beast bairns eh?!

CraigHibee
13-09-2011, 06:55 AM
No surprise really that the English grassed up a Scottish player under a Scottish manager is it now?!

Until he does something illegal whilst signed for Hibs whatever GOC has done previous has hee haw to do with us..

Spike Mandela
13-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Anyone get that sinking feeling that nothing is going to go right for us this season?

.Sean.
13-09-2011, 07:14 AM
He's front page of The Sun, and his face has been blurred.

Barney McGrew
13-09-2011, 07:20 AM

Don't do drugs kids - look at what too much does to your face :greengrin

Prawn Sandwich
13-09-2011, 07:24 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3810681/OConnors-Brum-rap.html

hibsbollah
13-09-2011, 07:25 AM

When tabloid journalists are making moral judgements and taking the high ground over other peoples drug use you know irony has died. The 4th estate is fuelled by cocaine. The hypocrisy is disgusting.

Beefster
13-09-2011, 07:27 AM
I did find it interesting that GOC's name, image, and brief resume of his career were discussed at length, and yet the 'England International' was left nameless after 'we decided to withhold this player's name'.

Easy target for the programme in GOC, someone who due to upcoming charges, current situation (no longer in Prem, trying to get career restarted), as opposed to some former English international who is likely to have far more media clout, access to better legal counsel.

Bit of a copout by the programme producers, after banging the drum about naming and shaming 'stars', with all due respect and no offence intended, I doubt Garry himself would describe himself as a star down south.

O'Connor was found guilty and banned. The England international was not and so must be assumed innocent. Two entirely different circumstances - naming the other guy would have damaged his reputation without any concrete proof.

If the club knew about O'Connor before signing, I don't understand why folk are getting their knickers in a twist. He's doing the business on the park and I'm sure the club are providing all the support that he needs.

Dashing Bob S
13-09-2011, 07:27 AM
All this utter tosh about unfortunate lads who need our understanding and support - nonsense. All GO'C needs to do is stay in a few nights and refrain from putting rubbish up his nose.

Anybody with any sort of social life knows that Britain is awash with cocaine. It's not an addiction, like heroin, its just a bad habit which has become acceptable in our country. It's impossible to get into a toilet in an Edinburgh bar for legitimate purposes with engaging a furtive, anxious line of edgy young and not-so-young men, or having a snorting, grinning crew emerge from a booth.

As far as I'm concerned, anybody daft enough to snort the brick shavings, horse tranquilizer, vim and talc which passes for 'cocaine' in Britain deserves everything that happens to them.

Get a good book, Gary, and try staying in at weekends. To be fair, you look like you're already doing that.

Geo_1875
13-09-2011, 07:50 AM
I believe next weeks programme reveals exclusively - George Best liked a bevvy!!!

What a complete waste of air time. He was caught and punished. Who gives a ****?

Peevemor
13-09-2011, 07:54 AM
O'Connor was found guilty and banned. The England international was not and so must be assumed innocent. Two entirely different circumstances - naming the other guy would have damaged his reputation without any concrete proof.

If the club knew about O'Connor before signing, I don't understand why folk are getting their knickers in a twist. He's doing the business on the park and I'm sure the club are providing all the support that he needs.

hibsbollah
13-09-2011, 08:00 AM
I believe next weeks programme reveals exclusively - George Best liked a bevvy!!!

What a complete waste of air time. He was caught and punished. Who gives a ****?

I was thinking about the Best thing yesterday. When Eddie Turnbull first met Best when we signed him, Turnbull recognised the yellow round the eyes from other people he knew who were serious alcoholics and knew straight away he had a problem. But we signed him anyway, added a few thousand to our attendances and indulged him massively. Even 30 years later its strange that alcohol abuse is so acceptable but mention illegal drugs and people get all moralistic.

truehibernian
13-09-2011, 08:02 AM
When tabloid journalists are making moral judgements and taking the high ground over other peoples drug use you know irony has died. The 4th estate is fuelled by cocaine. The hypocrisy is disgusting.

Totally agree bollah (as usual) :agree:

Strange that the English version has an Amy Winehouse leader where her drug addiction is almost considered a shame and so avoidable, yet up here, GOC is the unacceptable face of drug Britain eh ! Pity on one hand, disgust on the other........both making huge money in their professions though and seen as 'role models' ! In saying that, sympathy for a dead celebrity sells..........shame they weren't so symathetic when she was alive. One minute she was pure comedy for her stage 'performances', then she was the fallen angel of British soul !

I can't stand drugs, never have, but as you say the hypocrisy is simply astounding in the media.

HFC 0-7
13-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Think you are missing the point of the program. The point of the program was to have a go at the authorities. In particular, short term bans and that it isnt held on record anywhere that a prospective new club can see. I know I would be raging if we bought a player for decent money and then he provides a negative sample on a drugs test only for us to find out the player has been banned for drug use previously. It wasnt a witch hunt of GOC, he got caught he got banned and it was covered up.

The rest of the program went into look at how few drugs tests there are etc compared to other countries. Being able to go 3 seasons between drug tests is crazy.

RickyS
13-09-2011, 08:04 AM
All this utter tosh about unfortunate lads who need our understanding and support - nonsense. All GO'C needs to do is stay in a few nights and refrain from putting rubbish up his nose.

Anybody with any sort of social life knows that Britain is awash with cocaine. It's not an addiction, like heroin, its just a bad habit which has become acceptable in our country. It's impossible to get into a toilet in an Edinburgh bar for legitimate purposes with engaging a furtive, anxious line of edgy young and not-so-young men, or having a snorting, grinning crew emerge from a booth.

As far as I'm concerned, anybody daft enough to snort the brick shavings, horse tranquilizer, vim and talc which passes for 'cocaine' in Britain deserves everything that happens to them.

Get a good book, Gary, and try staying in at weekends. To be fair, you look like you're already doing that.

:top marks

franks
13-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Don't see why any football association should be handing out bans for people using drugs recreationally, they should be concentrating and taking action on performance enhancing drugs which is a form of cheating. If action is to be taken against players using drugs recreationally then that action should be taken by the club in line with club policy.

No surprise Garry O is involved I think most people knew he had a problem the first time he was with us.

Hibs had a statement out on the official site right after the program aired so were obviously aware of the content before it was aired. When he signed for us i seem to remember something in the paper about Hibs giving him the chance to get his career back on track and were probably referring to his drug problem rather than his foot-balling ability.

Since he has rejoined us he has IMO been our best player although that has nothing to do with the issues raised in this thread.

hibbiedon
13-09-2011, 08:51 AM
If he had a really serious problem we could send him on loan to Kaunas for a wee while till the heat dies down :devil:

Hibernia Na Eir
13-09-2011, 09:12 AM
why did the programme not mention Ian Black of Hearts ?

Nando™
13-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Probably because he either hasn't served a ban for failing a test or he hasn't played in England.

Black Kyle
13-09-2011, 09:26 AM
It's what GO'C does now that's important.

Drugs are all around us,appealing, available and affordable to more of the population than ever - just have a look at the pubs in Leith on a
Friday night...Charlie is everywhere and being used by tradesmen, office workers, charity workers etc etc.

It's why we choose to take and misuse drugs in all its forms is the question that needs to be answered. Giving people some self respect, hope
and a decent living would be a good start.

McD
13-09-2011, 09:55 AM

Fair point mate, hadn't thought of it that way, was getting a bit late :greengrin

I agree with your second point, the club would have been aware prior to signing him, at least of the current charges/situation, and will be providing the necessary support. If they felt his history was too much of a negative issue, they wouldn't have signed him, and if they were unaware of the full story, then I'm sure we'll hear what actions they decide to take soon enough.

NYHibby
13-09-2011, 09:58 AM
I think the interesting thing to come out of this is how much drug testing in football is a joke in this country, particularly compared to sports in America. Somebody said they were only drug tested once in a seven year career? It is absurd that my friends playing football (soccer) in university were drug tested much more frequently than someone playing in the Premier League.

--------
13-09-2011, 10:06 AM

Nobody south of the border would have the faintest clue who he is.

Not even the Spurs fans... :greengrin

timebomb
13-09-2011, 10:41 AM
It's what GO'C does now that's important.

Drugs are all around us,appealing, available and affordable to more of the population than ever - just have a look at the pubs in Leith on a
Friday night...Charlie is everywhere and being used by tradesmen, office workers, charity workers etc etc.

It's why we choose to take and misuse drugs in all its forms is the question that needs to be answered. Giving people some self respect, hope
and a decent living would be a good start.

Whats O'Connor's excuse then, he's made the sort of living most of us can only dream of (unless my Euro millions ticket comes in tonight!!) out of doing a job we would give anything to do and what a lot of guys actually pay to do (5vs or Sunday football etc).

O'Connor / Black, are a couple of ***** who don't know how good they have it and, in my opinion, both should have been emptied from their clubs when all the nonsnese went on over the close season.

Judas Iscariot
13-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Whats O'Connor's excuse then, he's made the sort of living most of us can only dream of (unless my Euro millions ticket comes in tonight!!) out of doing a job we would give anything to do and what a lot of guys actually pay to do (5vs or Sunday football etc).

O'Connor / Black, are a couple of ***** who don't know how good they have it and, in my opinion, both should have been emptied from their clubs when all the nonsnese went on over the close season.

Pity GOC wasn't contracted to anyone when he was arrested...

hibee62
13-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Rightly or wrongly Hibs employed O'Connor after the failed test and his arrest for possession, so they knew exactly what they were getting. They have not been duped in anyway so for them to now sack him would be wrong and highly hypocritical.

If they had hired him having been promised he was now clean/getting help and that all fell through then thats another matter!

As most have said, there is nothing here that nobody already knew/suspected so no Hibs (or Hearts) fan can take a moral high ground and demand his sacking until he is arrested again/fails another test/doesn't turn up for drug rehab classes (if he is going to them)...

scott7_0(Prague)
13-09-2011, 11:23 AM

I totally agree with you, at the time of the offense or the arrest both should have been emptied by their employers,

O'Connor wasn't employed by anyone, so that's that one sorted and Black is/was employed by Hearts and we all know Hearts don't sack players who are in trouble by the law.

Jack
13-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Hibs sell GOC to a Russian club, who are most likely unaware of his drug problem. They sell him to Birmingham who are most likely unaware of his drug problem. They punt him out on loan to a club who don’t know of his drug problem and he ends up at Hibs and all over the media – because of his drug problem!

What goes around comes around.

marinello59
13-09-2011, 11:43 AM

It's nothing to do with him being Scots and everything to do with him being unable to refrain from taking Coke. His English club and the English authorities protected him by covering things up when he was banned didn't they? It was inevitable that the truth would come out at some point.

HFC 0-7
13-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Rightly or wrongly Hibs employed O'Connor after the failed test and his arrest for possession, so they knew exactly what they were getting. They have not been duped in anyway so for them to now sack him would be wrong and highly hypocritical.

If they had hired him having been promised he was now clean/getting help and that all fell through then thats another matter!

As most have said, there is nothing here that nobody already knew/suspected so no Hibs (or Hearts) fan can take a moral high ground and demand his sacking until he is arrested again/fails another test/doesn't turn up for drug rehab classes (if he is going to them)...

This is the point which I thinki the program was highlighting. Because the ban was kept quiet no one was aware he had been caught. Barnsley never knew so I dont know why Hibs would have been told unless O Connor told them.

HFC 0-7
13-09-2011, 11:47 AM

This is the point which I thinki the program was highlighting. Because the ban was kept quiet no one was aware he had been caught. Barnsley never knew so I dont know why Hibs would have been told unless O Connor told them.

alangregory1875
13-09-2011, 11:49 AM

:top marks:top marks:top marksfirst class post

Argylehibby
13-09-2011, 11:54 AM

They probably knew nothing of the failed test as the programme indicated last night clubs do not have to say anything when the sell players on. On the arrest for possession the club will have known about that but perhaps not all of the details. Depending what was kept from them then they number / severity of the charges may not have been known.

I wonder if his lawyers are now pleading that he cannot get a fair trial on the charges, having been named in the programme last night. No idea if that is something that would be possible but surely it cannot be right with a charge pending for a TV channel to make it widely known that he has had a drug problem in the past?

Keith_M
13-09-2011, 11:58 AM
I think the fact that one of our players is taking Cocaine is really sad.

They really need to start thinking about taking performance enhancing drugs instead, it looks like they'd benefit enormously!

Golden Bear
13-09-2011, 12:00 PM
I've little sympathy. If Garry O is found guilty of these latest indiscretions then for the sake of the Club's reputation his contract should be terminated forthwith.

Just because he's a Hibs player gives us no right to claim the moral high ground or play the sympathy card and I suspect that this would not be the case if the player in question played for the really big gigantic team.

Sir David Gray
13-09-2011, 12:02 PM
I was thinking about the Best thing yesterday. When Eddie Turnbull first met Best when we signed him, Turnbull recognised the yellow round the eyes from other people he knew who were serious alcoholics and knew straight away he had a problem. But we signed him anyway, added a few thousand to our attendances and indulged him massively. Even 30 years later its strange that alcohol abuse is so acceptable but mention illegal drugs and people get all moralistic.

It's not strange at all, there is a fairly straightforward explanation for that and you've actually alluded to it in your own post.

Alcohol consumption is legal in this country, whereas the use of class A drugs, such as cocaine, is highly illegal.

I agree that people who have a drug habit, or even an alcohol addiction, need to be offered help but you can only help someone in that position if they want it and recognise that they need help.

Obviously Hibs knew what the score was with O'Connor before we signed him in the summer so there's no way that the club will sack him over this, however I'm not too sure that I'm very comfortable with the club's position.

I just cannot understand professional athletes who abuse alcohol and take illegal substances. Their careers are short enough as it is but the rewards are massive. Why would you want to harm your chances of having a prolonged and successful career?

Last night I watched the US Open men's final between two incredible athletes, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal. The match last over 4 hours and it was one of the most exciting sporting events I've ever seen. I may be wrong but I don't think you'll find an illegal substance in either of their bodies. I wonder if the sportsmen and women who abuse drugs and drink alcohol to excess would have the endurance levels to be able to last for over 4 hours like those two managed last night?

Albion Hibs
13-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Are you forgeting what he was charged with in the summer, does it look like he is learning from his mistakes, he was banned from football for two months for testing positive for cocaine, two years later and he has been charged with possession of cocaine and obstructing the police, seems like he has a serious problem, i am sure Brum done everything to help him but if you dont want to be helped what can you do.

I am not forgetting he was accused of something in the summer, I dont believe he has been charged? In any event if it was an average Joe they could probably continue with using, however, not only will hibs n doubt do their own checks, but so will the SPL, and I am sure he will be up there with the first they test everytime. On that basis there is every chance he is reformed, and has been since the initial incident as he has been found guilty of nothing yet.

I am sure the Dunfermline fans (all 1,000) of them will enjoy this on Saturday, I only hope our own fans show him support and help him to achieve what he is having to deal with in his private life.

patlowe
13-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Last night I watched the US Open men's final between two incredible athletes, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal. The match last over 4 hours and it was one of the most exciting sporting events I've ever seen. I may be wrong but I don't think you'll find an illegal substance in either of their bodies. I wonder if the sportsmen and women who abuse drugs and drink alcohol to excess would have the endurance levels to be able to last for over 4 hours like those two managed last night?

Good point, the fitness and dedication shown by the top tennis players puts professional football players in this country to shame. I wonder if team sports help to diffuse that sense of responsibility which guys like Andy Murray know is required to reach the very top.

Gus
13-09-2011, 12:26 PM
GOC FAILED a drugs test 2 years ago......Birmingham chose to stick by him & assist in any rehabiliation, tbh they should be praised for that IMO. Kept him away from the media scrutiny.

He hardly set the heather alight for Birmingham and done nothing to justify his wages or price tag. He then gets a move to Barnsley who say they where not informed of the failed drugs test, although as it was failed 2 years previously i'm not sure it would of been relevant. Also would it not show on any medical records :confused:

My problem is that the lad clearly has not seen the error of his ways over the years. Well known in Edinburgh before his move to Russia and it appears he didn't change his ways He is in a very privledged position & I think this is the reason we have him at Hibs just for a year, whether that is because Rod is fully aware of GOC's guilt or not.

Is his a gamble, that at the moment is paying off (unlike the rest of the team)

As he has not done anything wrong while at Hibs then yes he is the first person on the team sheet but lets see what the courts say.....

As for the English outing the Scottish and blaming a Scottish manager, calm yerslef :blah:

:hibees

Craig_in_Prague
13-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Good point, the fitness and dedication shown by the top tennis players puts professional football players in this country to shame. I wonder if team sports help to diffuse that sense of responsibility which guys like Andy Murray know is required to reach the very top.

I'd like to see our team training with Murray. See what training really means.

Folks sometimes still say Scottish football is quick, jesus it's anything but! ....Watching the EPL and that is quick. They are athletic, strong and quick (most of them). The SPL is mainly full of players who would not stand out at amateur level.

I agree to a certain extent that team sports and training very much relies on the coach to set the standards and training methods. However if I were lucky/good enough to have made it, i'd be staying behind to practice and practice. Whilst I remember training with tynecastle boys club was a bit tougher than a previous club I was with, I remember training once with Granton boys club and by god that was a shock.....they ran a hell of a lot more than the other sides I'd played with.... much fitter bunch of boys and it comes from the coach. It's true that you need to work on the technical side of your game, but 1st and foremast get them top fit and the rest comes easier. They have nice pitches, gyms and fresh air to enjoy, yet basically none of them seem to really get the most out of their opportunity.

silverhibee
13-09-2011, 12:52 PM
I am not forgetting he was accused of something in the summer, I dont believe he has been charged? In any event if it was an average Joe they could probably continue with using, however, not only will hibs n doubt do their own checks, but so will the SPL, and I am sure he will be up there with the first they test everytime. On that basis there is every chance he is reformed, and has been since the initial incident as he has been found guilty of nothing yet.

I am sure the Dunfermline fans (all 1,000) of them will enjoy this on Saturday, I only hope our own fans show him support and help him to achieve what he is having to deal with in his private life.

Of course he has been charged, the next step is the courts to see if he is guilty or not guilty, can only see one outcome if he has been charged with possession at the police station mind you.

And you think the crowd will be 1500 at EEP on Saturday. :greengrin

Nobody was forcing him to take it he is a big laddie and should no better than to be putting that crap up his nose being in the priviliged job that he is in, sorry but can have no sympathy for him. Drugs ruin lives. Hibs should have a tough policy on drugs after what has happened in the past at the club. :wink:

hibsbollah
13-09-2011, 01:13 PM
It's not strange at all, there is a fairly straightforward explanation for that and you've actually alluded to it in your own post.

Alcohol consumption is legal in this country, whereas the use of class A drugs, such as cocaine, is highly illegal.

'Highly illegal'? Something can either be illegal or legal, 'highly illegal' is about as meaningful as 'highly pregnant'.
:greengrin

Anyway, the illegality of the substance is totally separate to the morality argument. If cocaine became legal overnight it wouldnt suddenly change whether a professional sportsman snorting it is right or wrong. Both alcohol and cocaine have a detrimental impact on an athletes health (although one has a far greater impact on society and in the casualty wards and elsewhere in the NHS). It was acceptable in the 1970s for our club to encourage George Best to abuse his drug of choice with his teammates on a daily basis because it was all about 'team bonding'. It probably still is in some corners of our club. I dont claim to have the same knowledge of our players refueling habits as some others on this board.

Its fairly obvious to me that its not the illegality of what Garry was up to that bothers people. Its the social stigma, a lot of it based on total ignorance.

And has already been mentioned, he looks in excellent physical condition and is playing well, unlike, say Deeks before he left. His poor performance on Sunday was an exception, and was very probably because he knew the story was about to break. This suggests to me that hes no longer using, and bodes well for his future career.

Barney McGrew
13-09-2011, 01:22 PM
I think the fact that one of our players is taking Cocaine is really sad

The fact is that one of our current players WAS taking cocaine before he joined us. There is no evidence that he IS taking taking it now.

hibs0666
13-09-2011, 01:25 PM
'Highly illegal'? Something can either be illegal or legal, 'highly illegal' is about as meaningful as 'highly pregnant'.
:greengrin

Anyway, the illegality of the substance is totally separate to the morality argument. If cocaine became legal overnight it wouldnt suddenly change whether a professional sportsman snorting it is right or wrong. Both alcohol and cocaine have a detrimental impact on an athletes health (although one has a far greater impact on society and in the casualty wards and elsewhere in the NHS). It was acceptable in the 1970s for our club to encourage George Best to abuse his drug of choice with his teammates on a daily basis because it was all about 'team bonding'. It probably still is in some corners of our club. I dont claim to have the same knowledge of our players refueling habits as some others on this board.

Its fairly obvious to me that its not the illegality of what Garry was up to that bothers people. Its the social stigma, a lot of it based on total ignorance.

And has already been mentioned, he looks in excellent physical condition and is playing well, unlike, say Deeks before he left. His poor performance on Sunday was an exception, and was very probably because he knew the story was about to break. This suggests to me that hes no longer using, and bodes well for his future career.

The morality argument does not do it for me, although the role model argument comes into play. All I care about is that these guys are in peak physical and mental condition when playing for Hibs.

It is clear that guys like O'Connor cannot be trusted to act as professional athletes and I'm sure that is the same with other dafties at other clubs. With that being the case the drug testing regime in Scotland needs to be rigorous so that these guys know that there is a decent chance that they will be caught and severely punished if they continue to act like dafties.

Calvin
13-09-2011, 02:12 PM
For me, the main issue is whether Garry O'Connor deceived the club to gain employment. I think it's essential that he should have told Hibs about his drug ban for cocaine as it directly impacts whether we would have employed him. Fair enough if we knew this but gave him a chance, however going by the precedent he set with Barnsley it seems unlikely that Hibs would have known about this. I suppose that's just speculation though.

I don't really have a problem with the drug and completely understand why wealthy young guys get into it. You only have to go on a night out in London to get pissed off by all the coked up bankers on a Friday night. However when you are a professional athlete you are working within completely different parameters as you need your health and fitness to be at its peak and I'm sure that coke does far more harm than good to this. A fair point is that this is also true of alcohol and I am not a fan of our players getting smashed every night, but at least we know they won't fail a random test and face a ban because they were out on the lash.

His second chance was when he was at Birmingham and he has clearly failed to cut it out from his life. Maybe since the fiasco with getting caught in possession and doing a runner from the Police in May he hasn't touched the stuff and if so, credit to him, but knowing that our star striker has previous with a drugs ban and a criminal court case ongoing pertaining to cocaine fills me with dread as if he were to get another drug ban or jail term, our season would be even more screwed.

Septimus
13-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Makes you wonder how good he would have been without the drugs. That is the lesson we should be hammering home to our youngsters.

JimBHibees
13-09-2011, 02:36 PM

I agree that people who have a drug habit, or even an alcohol addiction, need to be offered help but you can only help someone in that position if they want it and recognise that they need help.

Obviously Hibs knew what the score was with O'Connor before we signed him in the summer so there's no way that the club will sack him over this, however I'm not too sure that I'm very comfortable with the club's position.

I just cannot understand professional athletes who abuse alcohol and take illegal substances. Their careers are short enough as it is but the rewards are massive. Why would you want to harm your chances of having a prolonged and successful career?

Tennis hasnt exactly got a great record with regard to performance enhancing drugs. I am a bit of a cynic and am a little suspicious with players that make such incrdible steps as ND has this year. Not saying he has just that his improvement has been startling. For good measure also think Rafa is too big and powerful also. :greengrin

West Upper
13-09-2011, 03:14 PM

Yeah the program was made to make the scottish players look bad.

:rolleyes:

marinello59
13-09-2011, 03:19 PM
The fact is that one of our current players WAS taking cocaine before he joined us. There is no evidence that he IS taking taking it now.

Correct. All the evidence points towards the team sharing a rather large spliff before setting foot on the park.

hibsbollah
13-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Correct. All the evidence points towards the team sharing a rather large spliff before setting foot on the park.

I wouldnt say a spliff, to be honest. Agogo looked like he'd been dosed up with horse tranquilisers.:drunk:

.Sean.
13-09-2011, 04:21 PM
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od#3232062

Link to the show for those who haven't yet seen it.

Kato
13-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Agogo looked like he'd been dosed up with horse tranquilisers.:drunk:

Just say, Neigh!

Kato
13-09-2011, 04:49 PM
You only have to go on a night out in London to get pissed off by all the coked up bankers on a Friday night. However when you are a professional athlete you are working within completely different parameters as you need your health and fitness to be at its peak and I'm sure that coke does far more harm than good to this.

Considering what the over-use of cocaine does to the synapses and decision making in particular if there was choice I'd rather have Bankers drug-tested (thouroughly and regularly) than sportsmen.

Look at banking in the last 25 years and the general rise in use by "workers"* in that sector I'd say it needs it.

* I of course mean "twats".

hibiedude
13-09-2011, 05:21 PM
A 2 year Ban is the norm for sport stars caught taking drugs!!!! unless you play football then its all hush hush.

Football is a billion pound bisiness and the people running football like sepp Blatter are bigger cheats than the drug takers.

Italy seem to have their house in order "Finally" because they have 2 players tested per game when their season starts.

hibsbollah
13-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Cocaine is OK, but absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
:hide:

Monkey Harris
13-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Hibs were aware of his drugs arrest before resigning him, as it had been widely reported in the papers. Imo any player caught taking non performance enhancing drugs, should be offered treatment. If O'Connor had a drinking problem would you expect the board to back him or sack him?

NOLA
13-09-2011, 06:25 PM
It's the closest we'll get to having any speed in our starting XI.
tried not too laugh there, :greengrin

Calvin
14-09-2011, 03:13 AM
I can't see this posted elsewhere: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3812771/Garry-OConnor-on-fraud-rap-after-Ferrari-smash.html

I wonder how long they've been sitting on that story waiting for an opportune day to break it. Basically it seems his insurance story has not checked out. Copied and pasted so you don't have to increase the Sun's hit count:

"TROUBLED Hibs striker Garry O'Connor has been charged with fraud after his £100,000 Ferrari was mysteriously found crashed on a country lane.

We can reveal the scandal-hit Scotland international has been accused of fiddling a high-value insurance claim over the wrecked supercar.
It comes hard on the heels of Channel 4's Dispatches programme claiming on Monday night that the married 28-year-old dad was secretly banned from playing following a failed drugs test.
We told yesterday how the TV documentary alleged that O'Connor tested positive for cocaine while playing for Birmingham City in the English Premiership during the 2009/10 season.
O'Connor was keeping a low profile after leaving his plush home on the private Archerfield estate near Dirleton, East Lothian, for morning training with Hibs.
His agent Martin Reilly last night said the fraud case was in the hands of his lawyers. And commenting on the TV exposé, he added: "We are just trying to let Garry move on from this, to let it die down. We're not saying anything."
A statement on Hibs website said: "Garry O'Connor has been advised by his lawyers not to comment about the programme."
The club also refused to discuss the Ferrari fraud charges.

We told in April how O'Connor's smashed-up F430 Spider F1 motor was dumped in Tranent, East Lothian — just three miles from his then home in Port Seton.
But the insurance brokers involved in the case allegedly spotted inconsistencies in his claim and called in the police.
Last night a neighbour said: "After the Ferrari crash he down-scaled his cars. They've been getting less and less glamorous." They added: "I don't think he'll be back for a few days.
"When the news about his Ferrari first broke he vanished for a while. We think he'll do the same again."
O'Connor bought the flash car after his megabucks £1.6million move from Hibs to Russian side Lokomotiv Moscow in 2006.
He said: "I had always wanted one since I was a boy."

O'Connor will be reeling from the Dispatches claims that the football authorities hushed up his two-month ban for allegedly failing a test for cocaine.
At the time of the alleged suspension then-Birmingham boss Alex McLeish said O'Connor had an injury which would rule him out for three to four months. He was later loaned out to Barnsley, who told the programme they didn't know about the alleged drugs test.
Last night a Lothian and Borders Police spokesman confirmed: "A 28-year-old man has been charged in connection with an alleged attempted fraud. A report has been submitted to the procurator fiscal."
O'Connor, who has 16 caps for Scotland, returned to Easter Road in June after spells with Lokomotiv, Birmingham City and Barnsley."

McD
14-09-2011, 09:33 AM
I'd like to see our team training with Murray. See what training really means.

Folks sometimes still say Scottish football is quick, jesus it's anything but! ....Watching the EPL and that is quick. They are athletic, strong and quick (most of them). The SPL is mainly full of players who would not stand out at amateur level.

I agree to a certain extent that team sports and training very much relies on the coach to set the standards and training methods. However if I were lucky/good enough to have made it, i'd be staying behind to practice and practice. Whilst I remember training with tynecastle boys club was a bit tougher than a previous club I was with, I remember training once with Granton boys club and by god that was a shock.....they ran a hell of a lot more than the other sides I'd played with.... much fitter bunch of boys and it comes from the coach. It's true that you need to work on the technical side of your game, but 1st and foremast get them top fit and the rest comes easier. They have nice pitches, gyms and fresh air to enjoy, yet basically none of them seem to really get the most out of their opportunity.

I agree, many footballers seem to forget that they are employed to play football to the best of their abilities. Setting aside the drugs and alcohol aspects of this, there seems to be an apathy towards this at Hibs. I don't pretend to know what training is done at East Mains, but we certainly never seem to look as fit, agile and athletic as other teams. As said above, if any of us were fortunate enough to have the requisite skills to be employed as a footballer, we'd practice and practice to ensure we were able to maintain that job, our players (from the outside looking in) appear to treat EM as a gang hut for a morning blether with their mates, and a meeting point before a trip to the bookies/pub.

Why is it just expected that professional footballers don't train for the full day? Training isn't just running, or kickabouts, there's specific skills to be worked on (passing, shooting, crossing, tackling, 1 touch, 2 touch, etc), there's specific areas of the pitch to be worked on (GK + defense, midfield, attack - everyone remembers how effective George Graham's Arsenal back four, which was due to relentless drilling), there's stretching exercises to increase flexibility and agility, studying opposition video and identifying strengths and weaknesses, swimming, aerobics, massages, tactics, etc etc. We could go on, so really, why aren't players/coaches expected to work a similar day to the rest of us. Professional sportsmen and women from tennis, NBA, NFL, formula 1, rugby union and league, even (many of) footballers from the EPL dedicate their minds and bodies to achieving all they can from respective talents and succeed, whatever that may be to each individual.

Someone like Gary Neville (annoying though he is) was a relatively average footballer (considering his peers), but has recently retired a wealthy man (and many winners medals) due in most part to dedication and making the most of his talent by working his backside off. (I know he played with some very gifted players, but he wouldn't have lasted at Man Utd if he wasn't pulling his weight). An example that I think every player at Hibs could do with looking at, and comparing their own lifestyle to it.

I'm not saying any player can't go out, have a drink etc, but that doesn't mean that they cannot be professional at the same time.

silverhibee
14-09-2011, 01:41 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/barnsley-failed-to-do-their-homework-on-oconnors-drug-ban-2354191.html

Wonder if Hibs done these checks regarding GOC.

blackpoolhibs
14-09-2011, 04:54 PM
I'd imagine Hibs knew all what has happened before he signed, and will probably be doing their own checks on a weekly basis?

Throw in the threat he could be tested at any time after a game, and with his history, will probably be a firm favorite with the drug testers.

Add that all up, i doubt very much he's still doing it. Yes its not great publicity, but personally sitting bottom of the league is the kind of publicity i dislike more.

If he's caught again, his erse is out the door. And his football career finished, surely he wont make that mistake again?