PDA

View Full Version : Bringing about change at our club

RIP
12-09-2011, 04:25 PM
If so many of us want a radical change at our club, why don't we use the power of the supporter base to bring this about? If we really care about something important in our lives - wouldn't we be willing to get off our backsides and do something about it? Of course this requires having the courage of our convictions and taking action - rather than simply moaning about it on internet messageboards.

Now I'm not recommending that all the following courses of action are effective but in my experience it usually takes a COMBINATION of action before organisations make a decision. Here's a list from the maximum impact down to the least effective

Mass action

Strike i.e. Mass Boycott until change is implemented e.g. Resignation, sacking, better football, a win (wot's that?)
Boycott of one game - advertised in advance
Terracing display - Large signs or banners backed up by protest songs
Public Meeting of Supporters to form Action Group
Attracting Support for action group from 'Respected Hibbies'
Protest outside AGM
Protest outside West Stand

Face to Face

Questions at the AGM
Emergency Fans Forum run by Directors with manager present
Directors meeting with supporters representatives
Talking to directors in Hospitality and Behind the Goals

Indirect

Mass emails to Directors
Mass emails to Press and calls to radio phone-ins
Individual letters and emails
Polls on internet messageboards

So for those who are advocating change - what lengths would you be willing to go to in order to bring about change at our club. Some of us gave Mark Donald a hard time for trying to organise a protest and then again for cancelling the protest in favour of a pre-match meeting with club officials. But whilst we may not have agreed with his chosen method or the timing - surely you have to admire Mark for getting off his backside and doing something about his concerns instead of just whining on a messageboard?

Davy Mac
12-09-2011, 06:17 PM
If so many of us want a radical change at our club, why don't we use the power of the supporter base to bring this about? If we really care about something important in our lives - wouldn't we be willing to get off our backsides and do something about it? Of course this requires having the courage of our convictions and taking action - rather than simply moaning about it on internet messageboards.

Now I'm not recommending that all the following courses of action are effective but in my experience it usually takes a COMBINATION of action before organisations make a decision. Here's a list from the maximum impact down to the least effective

Mass action

Strike i.e. Mass Boycott until change is implemented e.g. Resignation, sacking, better football, a win (wot's that?)
Protest outside AGM

Face to Face

Questions at the AGM

Indirect

Mass emails to Directors

So for those who are advocating change - what lengths would you be willing to go to in order to bring about change at our club. Some of us gave Mark Donald a hard time for trying to organise a protest and then again for cancelling the protest in favour of a pre-match meeting with club officials. But whilst we may not have agreed with his chosen method or the timing - surely you have to admire Mark for getting off his backside and doing something about his concerns instead of just whining on a messageboard?

Admirable post, well done for having the guts to do so.

The club is being run so prudently it's something we've had to become used to over the last 10 years or so even though the journey has been painful and unlikely to heal soon.

Jefferies got binned for less yet here we are trying to make a square fit in to a circle with Calderwood and I think the board are being stubborn by persisting with a guy who ultimately is not fitting in.

It's a results business and it's not working, it happens, we owe CC nothing.

We have a decent squad of players but they need to be busting a gut for somebody who the believe in but they just don't look like they do, that would then inspire the fans and we go back on the upward spiral again but for the board to allow this run of form/apathy to continue under CC's guidance is baffling.

For what it's worth there a helluva lot of young Hibbies out there who love the Hibs and yet:

a) It's too expensive to watch them at ER
b) Can't seem them train
c) Only see merchandise at the front door
d) Watched their best players leave

It's not looking good in my opinion, so you are quite correct something needs to change.

California-Hibs
12-09-2011, 06:44 PM

Mass action

Protest outside AGM

Face to Face

Questions at the AGM

Indirect

Mass emails to Directors

I agree 100% with this, but do you know what responses you'll get on here? They will be along the lines of, ''we have more class than to protest, leave that to the yams'' / ''The best thing do to is to stay away from Easter Road, a drop in attendances will make the board take notice, aye that's the best thing to do, yep''. TOTAL NONESENCE! Folk who come out with that statement are too affraid to actually do anything about this situation, as you say, folk just simply cant be bothered getting off their arse! I care a great deal about Hibernian FC, and I want to see a radical change and i'm willing to be involved 100% in a plan of action, which doesnt just involve the easy option of not going along to the games. I honest don't care what respones i get to this but i was in total support of the proposed protest that was ment to be happening on Sunday, and i'm actually gutted that it never went ahead.

Don't worry though, if folk out there just stop going, then that'll be the best way to get the point across to the board .. :rolleyes: SCARED TO ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING AND GET INVLOVED IS MY FEELINGS TOWARDS FOLK WITH THAT ATTITUDE! :agree:

Kaiser1962
12-09-2011, 07:22 PM
I agree 100% with this, but do you know what responses you'll get on here? They will be along the lines of, ''we have more class than to protest, leave that to the yams'' / ''The best thing do to is to stay away from Easter Road, a drop in attendances will make the board take notice, aye that's the best thing to do, yep''. TOTAL NONESENCE! Folk who come out with that statement are too affraid to actually do anything about this situation, as you say, folk just simply cant be bothered getting off their arse! I care a great deal about Hibernian FC, and I want to see a radical change and i'm willing to be involved 100% in a plan of action, which doesnt just involve the easy option of not going along to the games. I honest don't care what respones i get to this but i was in total support of the proposed protest that was ment to be happening on Sunday, and i'm actually gutted that it never went ahead.

Don't worry though, if folk out there just stop going, then that'll be the best way to get the point across to the board .. :rolleyes: SCARED TO ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING AND GET INVLOVED IS MY FEELINGS TOWARDS FOLK WITH THAT ATTITUDE! :agree:

What sort of "radical change" do you propose and how are you going to achieve it?

nortonhibby
12-09-2011, 07:29 PM

A Mass boycot is to extreme and would only harm the team walking out to an empty stadium on match day.
Our hard core support is probably down to around 3k now and our hard core supporters would not agee with this sort of protest.
maybee some banners would work and our singing section to organise chants at RP And the board would work.

Hiber-nation
12-09-2011, 07:33 PM
A Mass boycot is to extreme and would only harm the team walking out to an empty stadium on match day.
Our hard core support is probably down to around 3k now and our hard core supporters would not agee with this sort of protest.
maybee some banners would work and our singing section to organise chants at RP And the board would work.

About 7,000 of whom were there yesterday :confused:

nortonhibby
12-09-2011, 07:38 PM
About 7,000 of whom were there yesterday :confused:

i was in the stadium with over 40k there 3k 7k it does not matter in the big picture every year it gets smaller:flag:

Spike Mandela
12-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Sorry but there is just too much apathy just now about all things Hibs. Pains me to say it but people just don't CARE enough to be bothered about Hibs current plight.

Hope we wake up before it is too late.

Hiber-nation
12-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Sorry but there is just too much apathy just now about all things Hibs. Pains me to say it but people just don't CARE enough to be bothered about Hibs current plight.

That's how I feel. The only time I've felt concerned enough to write to the Board was after the 0-4 League cup game at Perth back in 1998. Then within a few months we'd signed Mixu, Sauzee and Latapy and everything turned out alright :greengrin So the answer to that crisis was simply to spend money we didn't have.

Problem is, no-one seems to know the answer this time.

matty_f
13-09-2011, 01:14 AM
That's how I feel. The only time I've felt concerned enough to write to the Board was after the 0-4 League cup game at Perth back in 1998. Then within a few months we'd signed Mixu, Sauzee and Latapy and everything turned out alright :greengrin So the answer to that crisis was simply to spend money we didn't have.

Problem is, no-one seems to know the answer this time.

That is a huge problem. I wish I knew where to start with it. I don't know if changing the manager would make a blind bit of difference. I don't know if protests, emails, boycotts, songs, banners, or anything else would do the trick.

I'd like to see some more action from Hibs though. I've enjoyed the interviews from the board recently and they have given assurances that they're not happy with the position we're in and that they're expecting better. I'd like to see action from Calderwood though. Look at the Yams - they punted FJK and got Sergio in, now I don't know if he's a decent manager or not, but apparently he's told Sutton he can go because he's not fit, and he's got the players in to do extra sessions.

I don't know if we're doing that at Hibs. I'd like to think we are, because everyone connected with the club needs to be aware that they need to work harder, that the standards need to be higher, that the expectations and demands are greater than what they are delivering at the moment. And that goes top to bottom at the club.

The board aren't delivering if the club are at the foot of the table, the manager isn't delivering, the players aren't delivering and the coaches aren't delivering. These people, collectively, need to held accountable for what's happening and for improving it.

We are too soft, IMHO, and I think players see Hibs as an easy club to be at. I don't think they appreciate what they've got and some of them clearly take the club for granted. It's a tough balance to maintain, but the club should have scope to sack players who are going and getting bevvied and getting into bother, or for taking drugs (depending on the circumstances, I think there are times when the right thing to do is to stand by a player and help them with their rehabilitation, however once that help has been given then it should be on the clear understanding that if drugs were taken again then the contract is terminated.).

Calderwood's job is to set those standards at Hibs, and he's failing miserable on the face of it. We don't look fitter than other teams, we aren't creative, we don't defend well, the players don't look as though they're all in it together.

This probably isn't helped by the fannying around that Calderwood did over the summer. Has that episode damaged his credibility with the players irreparably? I think that this is part of the problem as well, though. The players hold all the power at the moment. CC must be hanging onto his job by his finger nails. Anything that he does now that is unpopular with the players could see them down tools and see that he's sacked. If there is no indication that he is here for the long haul then they've nothing to lose. They're not worried about their jobs and they're not worried about results.

As a support all we can do is continue to make our voices heard.We certainly don't have to accept this pish over as long a period as we have done. Time for change is upon us, IMHO. How that change manifests itself remains to be seen.

mickki40
13-09-2011, 03:05 AM
Whatever the solution is to the problems that are at E.R. currently, you can bet your bottom dollar that the following will be touched on in some form or other.
1, Let's all have a protest.
2, Let's not have a protest.
3, Despite the obvious staring the manager in the face he will not resign until he has been guaranteed a big pay off.
4, Despite the obvious Staring R.P. in the face, nothing will be done about it.
5, People will stick their heads in the sand and pretend the whole thing will come good.

Unless you have been on a different planet lately, We drew with our nearest rivals for demotion, at home. The Manager was pleased we fought hard for a point. THE AMBITION IS IN THERE SOMEWHERE. Iam just not seeing it.

Geo_1875
13-09-2011, 05:20 AM
I don't know what the answer is but staying away is not the way to go. You can't protest if you're not there.

brydekirk
13-09-2011, 05:55 AM
Staying away would probably see CC get the sack, but, im not sure he is the only problem at hibs.

smurf
13-09-2011, 06:34 AM
That is a huge problem. I wish I knew where to start with it. I don't know if changing the manager would make a blind bit of difference. I don't know if protests, emails, boycotts, songs, banners, or anything else would do the trick.

I'd like to see some more action from Hibs though. I've enjoyed the interviews from the board recently and they have given assurances that they're not happy with the position we're in and that they're expecting better. I'd like to see action from Calderwood though. Look at the Yams - they punted FJK and got Sergio in, now I don't know if he's a decent manager or not, but apparently he's told Sutton he can go because he's not fit, and he's got the players in to do extra sessions.

I don't know if we're doing that at Hibs. I'd like to think we are, because everyone connected with the club needs to be aware that they need to work harder, that the standards need to be higher, that the expectations and demands are greater than what they are delivering at the moment. And that goes top to bottom at the club.

The board aren't delivering if the club are at the foot of the table, the manager isn't delivering, the players aren't delivering and the coaches aren't delivering. These people, collectively, need to held accountable for what's happening and for improving it.

We are too soft, IMHO, and I think players see Hibs as an easy club to be at. I don't think they appreciate what they've got and some of them clearly take the club for granted. It's a tough balance to maintain, but the club should have scope to sack players who are going and getting bevvied and getting into bother, or for taking drugs (depending on the circumstances, I think there are times when the right thing to do is to stand by a player and help them with their rehabilitation, however once that help has been given then it should be on the clear understanding that if drugs were taken again then the contract is terminated.).

Calderwood's job is to set those standards at Hibs, and he's failing miserable on the face of it. We don't look fitter than other teams, we aren't creative, we don't defend well, the players don't look as though they're all in it together.

This probably isn't helped by the fannying around that Calderwood did over the summer. Has that episode damaged his credibility with the players irreparably? I think that this is part of the problem as well, though. The players hold all the power at the moment. CC must be hanging onto his job by his finger nails. Anything that he does now that is unpopular with the players could see them down tools and see that he's sacked. If there is no indication that he is here for the long haul then they've nothing to lose. They're not worried about their jobs and they're not worried about results.

As a support all we can do is continue to make our voices heard.We certainly don't have to accept this pish over as long a period as we have done. Time for change is upon us, IMHO. How that change manifests itself remains to be seen.

Excellent post. Sums up how we all feel. CC has three winnable games coming up. I reckon the board will give him this month and they three games.

My opinion on CC not really wanting to be here is known. I'm asked for evidence etc etc. I get the negative vibes from his general demeanor and body language. Since arriving here a complete novice to SPL football I think he's been shocked by the awful standard of the game here. He gives as much away in his interviews.

The irony is with greater resources than most he manages a side one of the worst. Since his arrival he appears to have come in as soft and gentle CC with the players. Walking on the pitch shaking the players hands after defeats and shocking performances may very well be in the manual of man management. However, for CC its not working.

In JC we had a guy disliked and outrageously disrespected.

In Mixu we had a guy liked but not respected.

In Hughes we appeared to have a guy disliked and disrespected.

In CC we appear to have a guy liked but I often wonder if any player at all knows what he's really all about as a manager.

I feel a little bit sorry for our board of directors. I think they've got this appointment wrong but appointing him was an audacious move in terms of compensation etc. I do think though we've appointed a guy who came here for all the wrong reasons.

But on their watch its looking highly likely to be yet another failed appointment on their watch. And in terms of responsibility appointing a manager doesn't come much higher for a board.

marinello59
13-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Since arriving here a complete novice to SPL football I think he's been shocked by the awful standard of the game here. He gives as much away in his interview.
:agree:
I've been saying that since early on in his tenure. I think he totally understimated what he was up against at Hibs and in Scottish football in general.

bingo70
13-09-2011, 07:39 AM

Mass action

Protest outside AGM

Face to Face

Questions at the AGM

Indirect

Mass emails to Directors

This isn't a dig at people that want to protest as apathy (which is the way i'm feeling just now) is far more dangerous to the club than anger and we've laughed for long enough at hertz fans for their lack of action when unhappy, however, despite all the discontent about the board i've yet to hear specifically what people are unhappy about with regards to the board.

We're spending more than most of our rivals and more than we can afford so it can't be about the money.
They've just changed how the club is run from board level so that'll take time for it to show if there was a problem previously.
We can't argue that their not transparent, they've improved communication, they're not hiding away, they're still out meeting fans, giving interviews and offering disgruntled fans the opportunities for a meeting.
There's nobody waiting in the wings that i know of that wants to buy the club so whats the ideal resolution from any protest?

At the rate we are going through managers i'm happy to accept that maybe something isn't right, however without knowing specifically what people are protesting for or about i find it hard to give the protests any credibility as IMO the only place i can see where things aren't being done right at the club is on the pitch and thats the managers area, yet most of these protests seem to be at the club rather than CC.

Since arriving here a complete novice to SPL football I think he's been shocked by the awful standard of the game here. He gives as much away in his interviews.

I agree with all your post with the exception of the sentance above, i've heard it a few times now and i think it's a bit of a kop out from a manager who's not doing his own job right, if the standard is so poor with the amount of players he's brought in from the england then we should be skooshing the league not sitting bottom.

I know it's an old argument but IMO our problems still stem from the fact he doesnt want to be here, he's not committed which is why he hasn't brought in an assistant, probably the only manager in the world that feels he doesnt need one, considering we're bottom of the league, if he is committed maybe it's about time he reviewed that decision, i think Matty touched on it as well but i think if he doesnt want to be here that'll transfer through to the players who don't feel there all 'in it together'.

WhileTheChief..
13-09-2011, 11:17 AM
We don't need radical change at the club - just in the manager and coaches.

I can't see where the board / RP have gone wrong in all of this other than refusing to let CC leave in the summer. CC will get a few more weeks then be emptied around AGM time. From the board's point of view that will mean he has had a full year and they can then say that they gave him plenty of time but unfortunately it didn't work out. I thought at the time he got the job that it was an ambitious move and that CC would be a success here but it's been clear for months that he neither wants to be here nor is capable of doing a decent job for us.

The change i think we need is to get rid of everyone that has been involved in training at East Mains. Whatever they have doing for the last 4 years just isn't working. Whether that's their training methods or setting the standards that we expect, something isn't right. Alistair Stevenson, Gareth Evans and whoever else - they need to go and the new man can bring in an entire new staff with him and lay down the law from day one.

As last year, the new guy can then wait until January and start the required clear out ( sound familiar?). To me our squad is weaker than this time last year and I don't buy into this 'on paper' argument at all. We can only hope that this time we appoint a real manager and that he will get the same level of support from the board that CC undoubtably has had.

RIP
13-09-2011, 04:56 PM
So if a supporters group decided to get active to bring about change - would it get your support?

Because in my view moaning is a waste of guid air

We should put up - or shut up

hibiedude
13-09-2011, 05:27 PM

Have to agree, a Saturday means nothing to me these days I plan most things in front of following Hibs because the people running the club in to ground are not going to change direction so why should I pump money in to the club.

Ozyhibby
13-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm doing my bit, I'm not going back until they improve the standard of player they want to charge £22 to see.

Keith_M
13-09-2011, 07:02 PM
So, what would be the demands? Are you asking for the manager to be sacked and another brought in? If so, what's the guarantee he'd be any better?

It's not that I'm in any way happy at the situation, but I'm really worried about the board's ability to actually choose a decent manager.

Maybe I'm just so fed up that I'm now completely cynical about ever seeing any improvement.

nortonhibby
13-09-2011, 07:06 PM
We don't need radical change at the club - just in the manager and coaches.

I can't see where the board / RP have gone wrong in all of this other than refusing to let CC leave in the summer. CC will get a few more weeks then be emptied around AGM time. From the board's point of view that will mean he has had a full year and they can then say that they gave him plenty of time but unfortunately it didn't work out. I thought at the time he got the job that it was an ambitious move and that CC would be a success here but it's been clear for months that he neither wants to be here nor is capable of doing a decent job for us.

The change i think we need is to get rid of everyone that has been involved in training at East Mains. Whatever they have doing for the last 4 years just isn't working. Whether that's their training methods or setting the standards that we expect, something isn't right. Alistair Stevenson, Gareth Evans and whoever else - they need to go and the new man can bring in an entire new staff with him and lay down the law from day one.

As last year, the new guy can then wait until January and start the required clear out ( sound familiar?). To me our squad is weaker than this time last year and I don't buy into this 'on paper' argument at all. We can only hope that this time we appoint a real manager and that he will get the same level of support from the board that CC undoubtably has had.

Good post but RP Has given CC A lot of money to bring in his players CC Got rid of DR Which IMO Was a mistake.

These new players that CC Brought to our club are on decent Wages and some are on long term contracts, to start again would cost RP A lot of Money.

And we must take into consideration RP Was offered coin for CC Hard cash which RP Turned down RP Obviously has a lot of faith in CC.

CC Must have impressed at interview big time.:confused:

down the slope
13-09-2011, 07:14 PM
It seems there is quite a groundswell for change from the supporters for change at board level and at managerial level but easier said than done. What i would like to know is who , if anyone are the board answerable to ?.

matty_f
13-09-2011, 07:26 PM
So if a supporters group decided to get active to bring about change - would it get your support?Because in my view moaning is a waste of guid airWe should put up - or shut up

I think you would need to have a clear plan of what you want to achieve and how you want to achieve it before any action could be taken at any great scale.Do you want the board out, or just change - if it's the former it's not enough to just hound them out -who replaces them and how can we be sure that they are even the source of the problem? If it is the latter then the board has already changed but there has been insufficient time passed for the changes to take effect, therefore is a call for change appropriate?

If you are looking for change right at the top then i think to be taken seriously that a buyer of good standing would have to be found and put forward as a viable alternative.

If it is simply a change of manager then this will happen regardless of fan movements-results and the natural reduction of crowds will take care of that.

I would like to see the fans come together to demand higher standards from the club though, to work with the board and manager to set expectations on player conduct while representing our club, on training levels, maintaining their fitness levels, connecting with the community etc.

I'd love to see the fans and the club feel together again and not at odds with each other. For players to be idolised and not resented and the support seen by the players as exactly that-a support. Not eight or nine thousand folk who sit on their hands til there's something to moan about.

Show us your manifesto for action and you'll get a sense of how many of us are prepared to back you.

nortonhibby
13-09-2011, 07:35 PM
It seems there is quite a groundswell for change from the supporters for change at board level and at managerial level but easier said than done. What i would like to know is who , if anyone are the board answerable to ?.

RP And the board answer to TF.

1875 NO 1
13-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Admirable post, well done for having the guts to do so.

The club is being run so prudently it's something we've had to become used to over the last 10 years or so even though the journey has been painful and unlikely to heal soon.

Jefferies got binned for less yet here we are trying to make a square fit in to a circle with Calderwood and I think the board are being stubborn by persisting with a guy who ultimately is not fitting in.

It's a results business and it's not working, it happens, we owe CC nothing.

We have a decent squad of players but they need to be busting a gut for somebody who the believe in but they just don't look like they do, that would then inspire the fans and we go back on the upward spiral again but for the board to allow this run of form/apathy to continue under CC's guidance is baffling.

For what it's worth there a helluva lot of young Hibbies out there who love the Hibs and yet:

a) It's too expensive to watch them at ER
b) Can't seem them train
c) Only see merchandise at the front door
d) Watched their best players leave

It's not looking good in my opinion, so you are quite correct something needs to change.

We have lost millions in operating losses in that period. Losses funded by selling the family silver.

Rod brags about how quickly the accounts are produced and issued - this years are late. Why is this? Is it because there are a set of horrendous figures to be issued.

Seasons tickets are down to less tha 5k!

Hibs spin that our club is well run.

matty_f
13-09-2011, 07:51 PM
We have lost millions in operating losses in that period. Losses funded by selling the family silver.

Rod brags about how quickly the accounts are produced and issued - this years are late. Why is this? Is it because there are a set of horrendous figures to be issued.

Seasons tickets are down to less tha 5k!

An Hibs spin that our club is well run.

I don't know exactly how much of your post is factually incorrect, but I'm guessing it's close to 100%.

Peevemor
13-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Rod brags about how quickly the accounts are produced and issued - this years are late.

He doesn't and they're not.

Monts
13-09-2011, 08:08 PM
I think you would need to have a clear plan of what you want to achieve and how you want to achieve it before any action could be taken at any great scale.Do you want the board out, or just change - if it's the former it's not enough to just hound them out -who replaces them and how can we be sure that they are even the source of the problem? If it is the latter then the board has already changed but there has been insufficient time passed for the changes to take effect, therefore is a call for change appropriate?

If you are looking for change right at the top then i think to be taken seriously that a buyer of good standing would have to be found and put forward as a viable alternative.

If it is simply a change of manager then this will happen regardless of fan movements-results and the natural reduction of crowds will take care of that.

I would like to see the fans come together to demand higher standards from the club though, to work with the board and manager to set expectations on player conduct while representing our club, on training levels, maintaining their fitness levels, connecting with the community etc.

I'd love to see the fans and the club feel together again and not at odds with each other. For players to be idolised and not resented and the support seen by the players as exactly that-a support. Not eight or nine thousand folk who sit on their hands til there's something to moan about.

Show us your manifesto for action and you'll get a sense of how many of us are prepared to back you.

For the amount of mince you post, you dont half talk sense sometimes :greengrin

matty_f
13-09-2011, 08:18 PM
For the amount of mince you post, you dont half talk sense sometimes :greengrin

I'm just quoting this before it's edited and lost forever!:thumbsup:

bingo70
13-09-2011, 08:18 PM

Great post Matty and agree 100%

I'm not against the idea of change as there certainly appears to be something wrong considering what we're spending, the amount of managers we're going through and the lack of success we're getting so if people protest i hope they get what they are looking for but before i get involved i want to know specifically what the board are doing wrong, what they want to change and what the eventual goal of these protests are.

sahib
13-09-2011, 09:47 PM
"I'll thcream and thcream 'till I'm thick"

If we don't start to improve.

I think we could sign a squad of total pysh heids who would be better than what we have. Just a matter of getting the right ones.

RIP
14-09-2011, 06:39 AM

I'd love to see the fans and the club feel together again and not at odds with each other. For players to be idolised and not resented and the support seen by the players as exactly that-a support. Not eight or nine thousand folk who sit on their hands til there's something to moan about.Show us your manifesto for action and you'll get a sense of how many of us are prepared to back you.

Thanks Matty, this is the sort of discussion I was hoping would come out of this thread. Whether I'm a supporter or opponent of the current incumbents is of no relevance. Like many I'm just getting a bit tired of our poor run of results, lack of inspirational leadership by the head coach and real lack of motivation to go to matches. However I always strongly believe in the power of the people and our ability to bring about change.

A successful company is in touch with it's customers and this is even more critical when a business BELONGS to it's customers. Some of us can trace supporting Hibs back 50 years (in the case of ourselves) and 50 or 100 years before that for our parents, grandparents and previous generations. I am a member of the Hibs Supporters Association but (and maybe it's just me I admit) I don't hear nearly enough information about their engagement with the club and activities on behalf of our supporter base.

A Supporters Association should be the strong voice of the fans of a Football Club. Could the HSA not encourage greater support for the team at matches whilst challenging the incumbents who run the club to aim for higher standards of performance, off-field conduct, fitness and on-field discipline. As a supporters group, they could be champions of our history, of the style of football Hibs play, of what it means to be a Hibby.

Hibernian FC belongs to us, not to the temporary owners, directors, managers and players. One of the biggest complaints I hear from my friends and family is that we have a good squad of players, but that we have to suffer ninety minutes of hoofball while the Kilmarnock's, St Mirren's and Motherwell's of this world play fast attractive football. This is not the Hibs way and we need to make it clear that this style of football is not acceptable at Easter Road.

As supporters we need a voice, a respected organisation whose officials can represent our views and work closely with the club to raise standards. Could that not be the role of the Hibs Supporters Association? Or is it already happening and we are just not hearing about it?

Keith_M
15-09-2011, 07:52 AM
A Supporters Association should be the strong voice of the fans of a Football Club. Could the HSA not encourage greater support for the team at matches whilst challenging the incumbents who run the club to aim for higher standards of performance, off-field conduct, fitness and on-field discipline. As a supporters group, they could be champions of our history, of the style of football Hibs play, of what it means to be a Hibby.

I'd have to say, it's not exactly clear to me what the purpose is of the HSA. Perhaps I've not been paying attention and they actually do more than this but it would appear that they run a Social Club and not a lot else. Now, I'm prepared to be proved wrong but I haven't seen or heard anything that would suggest to me that they're the people I would go to if I wanted help to bring about change at the club.

Perhaps they do more than I know about and just suffer from poor PR. If that's the case, then I apologise in advance.

greenlex
15-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Im all for radical change. What if we dispense with the managerial merrygoround and appoint a manager with a track record. Tired of all the same faces.
We should back him as best we can financially and let him build his squad. It might take a couple of years and we may need to hold our nerve if things ttake a bit of time. But if we all get behind it then it just might work.

tamig
15-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Im all for radical change. What if we dispense with the managerial merrygoround and appoint a manager with a track record. Tired of all the same faces.
We should back him as best we can financially and let him build his squad. It might take a couple of years and we may need to hold our nerve if things ttake a bit of time. But if we all get behind it then it just might work.

Is this not the scenario we're in with CC? Not one of the usual suspects, he's been backed very well financially, he's rebuilding. That seems to meet your description of "radical change". Is he going to get a couple of years though? Doubtful based on reactions on here. Now, if that's not working, what else do you suggest?

Jack
15-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks Matty, this is the sort of discussion I was hoping would come out of this thread. Whether I'm a supporter or opponent of the current incumbents is of no relevance. Like many I'm just getting a bit tired of our poor run of results, lack of inspirational leadership by the head coach and real lack of motivation to go to matches. However I always strongly believe in the power of the people and our ability to bring about change.

A successful company is in touch with it's customers and this is even more critical when a business BELONGS to it's customers. Some of us can trace supporting Hibs back 50 years (in the case of ourselves) and 50 or 100 years before that for our parents, grandparents and previous generations. I am a member of the Hibs Supporters Association but (and maybe it's just me I admit) I don't hear nearly enough information about their engagement with the club and activities on behalf of our supporter base.

Hibernian FC belongs to us, not to the temporary owners, directors, managers and players. One of the biggest complaints I hear from my friends and family is that we have a good squad of players, but that we have to suffer ninety minutes of hoofball while the Kilmarnock's, St Mirren's and Motherwell's of this world play fast attractive football. This is not the Hibs way and we need to make it clear that this style of football is not acceptable at Easter Road.

As supporters we need a voice, a respected organisation whose officials can represent our views and work closely with the club to raise standards. Could that not be the role of the Hibs Supporters Association? Or is it already happening and we are just not hearing about it?

I'd have to say, it's not exactly clear to me what the purpose is of the HSA. Perhaps I've not been paying attention and they actually do more than this but it would appear that they run a Social Club and not a lot else. Now, I'm prepared to be proved wrong but I haven't seen or heard anything that would suggest to me that they're the people I would go to if I wanted help to bring about change at the club.

Perhaps they do more than I know about and just suffer from poor PR. If that's the case, then I apologise in advance.

The constitution says “The objects of the club are for the promotion of social intercourse among, and recreation for, members of The Hibernian FC Supporters Association” … or something like that.

It would therefore take a possible change to the constitution before the HSA could engage with the Football Club to represent the views of member supporters.

There may be huge problems with this. As dotnet has witnessed in the past when the chairman of the HSA has been quoted in the media, giving a personal view, dotnet bursts into life and bits of bytes are everywhere with people saying almost rude words and ‘he doesn’t represent my views’ and ‘who does he think he is?’

The HSA are always looking for ways to engage with the Football Club and does have regular dialogue around projects which fit in with those objects!

May I respectfully suggest 325EasterRoad that you engage with your own branch in Perth. It may be they would be able to make a representation to the Football Club on your behalf.

Keekaboo, I don’t know if you are a member. If you are you may wish to do the same. If your not PM me (and anyone else too) and I’d be delighted to assist you in becoming a member of one of the branches of the HSA.

Jack
On behalf of the HSA.

greenlex
15-09-2011, 03:40 PM
The constitution says “The objects of the club are for the promotion of social intercourse among, and recreation for, members of The Hibernian FC Supporters Association” … or something like that.

It would therefore take a possible change to the constitution before the HSA could engage with the Football Club to represent the views of member supporters.

There may be huge problems with this. As dotnet has witnessed in the past when the chairman of the HSA has been quoted in the media, giving a personal view, dotnet bursts into life and bits of bytes are everywhere with people saying almost rude words and ‘he doesn’t represent my views’ and ‘who does he think he is?’

The HSA are always looking for ways to engage with the Football Club and does have regular dialogue around projects which fit in with those objects!

May I respectfully suggest 325EasterRoad that you engage with your own branch in Perth. It may be they would be able to make a representation to the Football Club on your behalf.

Keekaboo, I don’t know if you are a member. If you are you may wish to do the same. If your not PM me (and anyone else too) and I’d be delighted to assist you in becoming a member of one of the branches of the HSA.

Jack
On behalf of the HSA.
:hmmm: :hmmm: :greengrin

RIP
15-09-2011, 05:50 PM

Jack
On behalf of the HSA.

Thanks Jack - excellent post as usual. It kind of sums up what Keekaboo thought that the Hibs Supporters Association's objective are social and recreational. Personally I always welcomed when Frank Dougan or Mike Riley made a statement. As spokespeople for the HSA they had more right than anybody to feel the pulse of the average Hibby. I think we are missing a strong supporters organisation that works with the club. Here's a summary of the objectives and activities of the Heart's Supporters Federation.

On the 19th October 1972 a meeting was held in the Roseberry Suite of the old Tynecastle Social Club with a view to setting up a Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs. Immediate concerns for the fledgling organisation were uniting the Hearts support and creating links with the Club, something it quickly achieved. The Federation were concerned with the hooligan problem which besmirched the game in the late seventies and worked hand in hand with the Club to try to eradicate the scourge from Tynecastle.

Improving Hearts’ image and helping the Club was always a priority and early projects saw the purchase of equipment for the physio’ room and volunteers from some member clubs giving up their summer to give the ground some much needed repair and cosmetic work..........

The Federation, like all Hearts supporters, were concerned about the plight of the Club at the start of the eighties and were determined to put pressure on the Board...... Over the last few years the organisation has been heavily involved in the changing face of Tynecastle, being included in discussions regarding the possibility of new stadiums and, when the decision was taken to redevelop Tynecastle, being represented on both 500 Club Committees. In addition, the Federation were the prime initiators of the ‘Save Our Hearts’ campaign....

The Federation believe that even in this commercial age that supporters have a major part to play in the game, and that the more members we have the stronger our voice will become. The Federation’s prime interest has always been to ensure that Hearts supporters get the best deal possible and that objective will remain a constant

RIP
15-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Founded in October 2000 the Arsenal Independent Supporters’ Association first established its reputation through effective campaigning in support of the Club’s application for planning permission for the new stadium.

Arsenal Independent Supporters Association is a vehicle that all Arsenal fans can use. We work constructively with the Club, and aim to ensure that supporters comments and opinions are presented and listened to by the Club, its contractors and other agencies.

AISA has a substantial membership base and regularly communicates with over 6,000 Arsenal supporters, spread throughout the UK and abroad. AISA campaigns on issues that we feel potentially exclude and alienate supporters. Both with the Club and the Kick It Out organisation we have taken a number of initiatives against racism. We regularly raise individual issues on behalf of fans as well as broader concerns, such as ticket pricing and allocation.

So do we lack the means to change anything at Hibs BECAUSE our Supporters Association's objectives are social and recreation - rather than a voice for supporters concerns?

invisible man
16-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Founded in October 2000 the Arsenal Independent Supporters’ Association first established its reputation through effective campaigning in support of the Club’s application for planning permission for the new stadium.

Arsenal Independent Supporters Association is a vehicle that all Arsenal fans can use. We work constructively with the Club, and aim to ensure that supporters comments and opinions are presented and listened to by the Club, its contractors and other agencies.

AISA has a substantial membership base and regularly communicates with over 6,000 Arsenal supporters, spread throughout the UK and abroad. AISA campaigns on issues that we feel potentially exclude and alienate supporters. Both with the Club and the Kick It Out organisation we have taken a number of initiatives against racism. We regularly raise individual issues on behalf of fans as well as broader concerns, such as ticket pricing and allocation.

So do we lack the means to change anything at Hibs BECAUSE our Supporters Association's objectives are social and recreation - rather than a voice for supporters concerns?

The HSA committee's main responsibilty HAS to be the social side as they are running a business with a turnover of around £500k. Having said that there is some dialogue with the board it's just that we don't publicise it on Hibs.net.

We also have a mechanism to hear the views of our members in that we have a meeting once a month to listen and act upon what the branch delegates have to say. Unfortunately the branch and delegate meetings are not well attended and people tend to moan about the price of a pint rather than anything Hibs.

It would also be difficult to put over the views of Hibs fans in general as the five trustees of the club can't even agree about what's going on at the moment. Some think CC should be given more time and Rod's doing a good job, others want Rod castrated and are prepared to give CC a lift home to England if he'll resign :greengrin

What we may try and do is invite the Board and manager round to The Hibs Club for a Q & A session which would give the fans a chance to air their views, whether they would accept or not is another matter.

As for the Hearts Federation, it's all very well have a nicely worded constitution but has it actually done them any good? They were instrumental in getting rid of the pieman and have now ended up with Mad Vlad who wont listen to a word they say.

GGTTH

RIP
16-09-2011, 04:06 PM
The HSA committee's main responsibilty HAS to be the social side as they are running a business with a turnover of around £500k. Having said that there is some dialogue with the board it's just that we don't publicise it on Hibs.net.

We also have a mechanism to hear the views of our members in that we have a meeting once a month to listen and act upon what the branch delegates have to say. Unfortunately the branch and delegate meetings are not well attended and people tend to moan about the price of a pint rather than anything Hibs.

It would also be difficult to put over the views of Hibs fans in general as the five trustees of the club can't even agree about what's going on at the moment. Some think CC should be given more time and Rod's doing a good job, others want Rod castrated and are prepared to give CC a lift home to England if he'll resign :greengrin

What we may try and do is invite the Board and manager round to The Hibs Club for a Q & A session which would give the fans a chance to air their views, whether they would accept or not is another matter.

As for the Hearts Federation, it's all very well have a nicely worded constitution but has it actually done them any good? They were instrumental in getting rid of the pieman and have now ended up with Mad Vlad who wont listen to a word they say.

GGTTH

Thanks for explaining that C - much appreciated!

You have a PM