PDA

View Full Version : how many of your mates have stopped going?

monktonharp
12-09-2011, 03:37 PM
how many regular Hibbies do you know, that have just stopped going over the last year? I went on my own yesterday as my mate (sits beside me ,ST btw) just refused to go. I went into the Station bar in abbeyhill, met a couple o' regular attendees, offered them the seat and was laughed ooty the boozer.2 other mates knocked back the offer and a guy that lives nesarby said get tae france. it;s getting harder by the minute, the club is a joke to anyone that supports other teams and it is almost embarrasing to admit your a Hibby these days. hope the board are really paying attention, it is grim.

mcfly
12-09-2011, 04:03 PM
how many regular Hibbies do you know, that have just stopped going over the last year? I went on my own yesterday as my mate (sits beside me ,ST btw) just refused to go. I went into the Station bar in abbeyhill, met a couple o' regular attendees, offered them the seat and was laughed ooty the boozer.2 other mates knocked back the offer and a guy that lives nesarby said get tae france. it;s getting harder by the minute, the club is a joke to anyone that supports other teams and it is almost embarrasing to admit your a Hibby these days. hope the board are really paying attention, it is grim.

I would never be embarrassed admitting im a hibby!!!

however i am embarrassed by our performances,
im embarrassed but not surprised we are bottom of the league, our playing side of the club has been neglected for years and we have journeyman with little or poor quality
how many empty seats we have at home games and that is some season ticket holders - has anyone noticed there is just no atmosphere at easter road anymore

I dont know the solution but who would want the hibs managers job now anyway -

nortonhibby
12-09-2011, 04:26 PM

I No a few die hards who no longer go pal of mine has a carpet shop in Edinburgh him and his misus went every week home and away going on 20 years they did nor renew this year and dont go anymore.

I Also know a guy from Gala who also went thick and thin for over 20 years he also never renewed he did go to the pre season friendly but says he is not going back.

I Have not got a season ticket any more either my plan when the new stand went up was to pick and choose my games as there will always be tickets even for Rangers and Celtic games i know a few others who went down this route but with the fare on show being so bad you feel worse when you leave a game than before you went in.

RP And the board MUST SEE ALL THE EMPTY SEATS AT THE GAMES, That in its self is a protest and thats what will force action, what the action is i have no idea but to simply soldier on the way wee are going is madness.

Is there an actual master plan Business plan that is being followed ? if yes id like a statement from RP And the Board telling us the plan we are loosing loyal Hibernian Supporters every week as the OP Said you cant give the tickets away even for nought.

Once you stop going week on week people find other interests things to do interest wains and they seldom return CC Is not the Answer but do we dump another manager or persevere and hope he turns it round ?

Sean1875
12-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Being a student up in Dundee obviously makes it economically too difficult to continue being a ST holder so gave it up at the start of last season but the two guys i sat with have more or less completely stopped going. Just dont feel they get anywhere near value for money.

mcfly
12-09-2011, 04:46 PM
I No a few die hards who no longer go pal of mine has a carpet shop in Edinburgh him and his misus went every week home and away going on 20 years they did nor renew this year and dont go anymore.

I Also know a guy from Gala who also went thick and thin for over 20 years he also never renewed he did go to the pre season friendly but says he is not going back.

I Have not got a season ticket any more either my plan when the new stand went up was to pick and choose my games as there will always be tickets even for Rangers and Celtic games i know a few others who went down this route but with the fare on show being so bad you feel worse when you leave a game than before you went in.

RP And the board MUST SEE ALL THE EMPTY SEATS AT THE GAMES, That in its self is a protest and thats what will force action, what the action is i have no idea but to simply soldier on the way wee are going is madness.

Is there an actual master plan Business plan that is being followed ? if yes id like a statement from RP And the Board telling us the plan we are loosing loyal Hibernian Supporters every week as the OP Said you cant give the tickets away even for nought.

Once you stop going week on week people find other interests things to do interest wains and they seldom return CC Is not the Answer but do we dump another manager or persevere and hope he turns it round ?

Got to agree - the biggest protest fans can make is not going.

Our board are money obsessed and funds must be reducing week on week.

I was always in favour of giving CC time but can we afford to ? - I think we need to get rid of CC and get a respected figure in football
to find us a manager, i have lots of confidence in our board to look after the money but i have NO confidence in any of them to find a manager that (A) can bring stability, (B) bring us consistency and then success

At The Edge
12-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Mate at work, gave his up 2 seasons ago, talked about getting a half season ticket this year, but getting less and less likely with the fare on offer at ER just now. says he'd rather spend his cash elsewhere than sit at ER and become frustrated with the team,
as a lot of folk have said, once people stop and it gets out of their routine, its very hard to get them back, esp when the football is eye bleeding bad

H18sry
12-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Got to agree - the biggest protest fans can make is not going.

Our board are money obsessed and funds must be reducing week on week.

I was always in favour of giving CC time but can we afford to ? - I think we need to get rid of CC and get a respected figure in football
to find us a manager, i have lots of confidence in our board to look after the money but i have NO confidence in any of them to find a manager that (A) can bring stability, (B) bring us consistency and then success

Sacking a manager every 12-18 months does not bring stability, you have to give a manager time and it will improve, we have a better squad now, than we have had in the last 2 years, so lets cut him a bit of slack.

mcfly
12-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Sacking a manager every 12-18 months does not bring stability, you have to give a manager time and it will improve, we have a better squad now, than we have had in the last 2 years, so lets cut him a bit of slack.

I appreciate your comments but the style of football we are playing under CC has cut our crowds drastically

We have had no home wins since february, there is no confidence in the team, the manager just doesnt inspire.

Wrong appointment again and the thousands of hibs supporters who arent going cant all be wrong.

I would love for CC to be successful so i could walk into my work on a monday morning with a smile on my face but it just isnt happening.

His time is up and he must be removed before we end up too far behind at the bottom of the league.

.Sean.
12-09-2011, 05:07 PM
My regular eight or nine is now down to three, including myself.

IFONLY
12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
I am finding it more difficult to get myself up for Hibs games the longer this run of results last. I have been through difficult stages with Hibs before but this one has really got to me. I am so disillusioned by the so called football we are playing. Mind you IMO its not just us, having watched a few Scottish games on t.v.I am of the opinion that Scottish football is not far away from being dead and buried, if it is not already.

carnoustiehibee
12-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Had a wedding all wkd in Edinburgh and parked in Albert st on Friday, walked down Easter road at 1pm on Sunday and felt very strange at having no desire to go to the game and just drove home.

erin go bragh
12-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Well for having a better squad we are playing a brand of football that is to be honest hoof ball at its worst , we have no play maker and at this rate the crowds will soon be back to the mid 80s [ 4 to 5 thousand ] ffs i would even take a manager that i hadnt heard of just as long as he had us playing football the hibs way [ yes the hibs way not this 1 striker pash] my heart sank when cc was made our manager as out of all the names being touted he was in my bottom 2 with jimmy calderwood who i would also take right now as a short term fix to get us out of this mess .
And yes i know of a fan that has followed hibs home and away without fail for over 20 years who has now got himself a seson ticket for st james park and has stopped going to er .

GGTTH

BT58
12-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Have had a season ticket for nigh on 15-20 years
Unfortunately down to illness & financial problems
i cant afford it,,, theres no way i will pay £22-£28
when i have other things to pay out for
My bro in law actually paid for a season ticket, then got a refund
Theres only 2 regular guys who now go
And they are making noises about not paying for a new one next season!!!
People say that fans support through thick and thin
Maybe theyre right,,, bit under CCs style of hoofball
And the clubs pricing policy are driving many fans away for good
Sad times indeed

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-09-2011, 05:55 PM
I was a solo attender yesterday although the no shows were pointing out the Sunday ko as the reason, but I suppose that could easily be a handy excuse. Been a drive home discussion though about the lack of familiar faces in our part of the East. Faces that you know to nod to but don't know their names. Too many missing now to cover it with moving to a different part of the ground after our eviction. One or two have opted out of the away days. Having to suffer that, and pay the other team for the priviledge is the first to go.

Chuck Rhoades
12-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Used to be a crowed of 8-10 of us at most home matches. Now there are 3-4. Struggle to give away my season ticket when I can't make it!

Chuck Rhoades
12-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Have had a season ticket for nigh on 15-20 years
Unfortunately down to illness & financial problems
i cant afford it,,, theres no way i will pay £22-£28
when i have other things to pay out for
My bro in law actually paid for a season ticket, then got a refund
Theres only 2 regular guys who now go
And they are making noises about not paying for a new one next season!!!
People say that fans support through thick and thin
Maybe theyre right,,, bit under CCs style of hoofball
And the clubs pricing policy are driving many fans away for good
Sad times indeed

Are you sure? I emailed Fyfe after the St Mirren game who sent back the Terms & Conditions stating no refunds were provided? Any more information as to how he went about doing this? Not wanting to cancel after all, but it surely should be a one size fits all with this kind of thing at Hibs.

Bostonhibby
12-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Out of 5 I would have expected to go to the St Mirren game 2 went, one said its just getting too bad to watch and having missed very few games up to then gave up the ghost, two others felt it was too much money to get in for what they were seeing, particularly unhappy that CC's now brought quite a few in and didnae really believe all the lines about time to settle in, if they are better than what they replaced why are they collectively so bad / lacking in the basics? With one or two exceptions that tends to be my view, basics being fitness and passing ability. Ironically I thought that poor defensive incidents aside St Mirren wasn't that bad compared to games since.

I know a couple of London based guys who say they wont be back for a while, they went about once every 6 weeks or so, but it all mounts up.

BT58
12-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Are you sure? I emailed Fyfe after the St Mirren game who sent back the Terms & Conditions stating no refunds were provided? Any more information as to how he went about doing this? Not wanting to cancel after all, but it surely should be a one size fits all with this kind of thing at Hibs.

yip he did indeed,,,,however he did buy a ticket for celtic game and never actually used his season ticket,he did state that as he was away on business a lot it was a mistake on his part in renewing it

Kevvy1875
12-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I used to go with about 10-12 guys regular. That's down to about 4-5.

I had the choice of a freebie into ER on Sunday or the highly exciting prospect of shopping for a new suite with the good lady.

I am now the proud owner of a lovely new suite.......

Things are grim.

Bishop Hibee
12-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Still the same 6 of us in the East Stand but I couldn't blame any of my mates/family if they didn't renew next season.

I'm sad enough that even if we were in Div 3 I'd still have a ST :crazy: It's an incurable disease :greengrin

Houchy
12-09-2011, 06:39 PM
I used to love going to the football, even when we weren't great, we still looked like we were due someone a right doing any game soon but it's just not there anymore and I'm finding myself looking for excuses (no matter how weak) to not go. The only way I can describe it these days is that I have fallen out with them. They've hurt me emotionally, that Petrie, Calderwood and the players have brought my once proud club down so far that we are a laughing stock will take time to heal and until they start trying to make amends my seat will remain empty. I really wish I thought different but right now, I hate the frigging lot of them!!!

SteveHFC
12-09-2011, 06:47 PM
My dad hasn't renewed his season ticket for the first time in 25 years.

jdships
12-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Six of us went together for many years
While we are now all in our 70's none of us have been at more than one home match since March
The sad thing is it is easy to get "out of the habit " of attending home matches :wink:
Football is part of the entertainment businesss - end of :rolleyes:

Frogga
12-09-2011, 08:20 PM
I was going to get a season ticket this year but kept putting it off. Got to the start of the season and had lost the motivation by then. The stadium seems really soul-less now without the old East Stand.

Alfred E Newman
12-09-2011, 08:23 PM
I have been following the Hibs for more years than I care to remember. There was always a good crowd of us from Peebles at every home game standing together at our favorite spot at the bottom corner of the old terracing. Over the years our number gradually decreased and over the last couple of seasons has dwindled away completely and sadly I am the last man standing. My son who I used to lift over the turnstiles in the 70`s is still as fanatical as ever and we both have season tickets though it is largely down to him that I renewed my ticket this season.

Barney McGrew
12-09-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm clearly going against the grain here, but there's actually more season ticket holders in our group now because many of got them for their kids. From guys who used to go maybe five or six years ago there's only two less from the nine of us and that's as much to do with their jobs as what's going on at the club.

What is very apparent though is that we'd usually stay until the final whistle, but very very rarely do that now.

nortonhibby
12-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Used to be a crowed of 8-10 of us at most home matches. Now there are 3-4. Struggle to give away my season ticket when I can't make it!

i was in a band of 12 season ticket holders die hards we had a bus i was the last to go most of them prefer to watch there kids play at weekends now lost intrerest RP I blame:flag:

The_Exile
13-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Used to be a few of us with ST's, not one of us now have one, we've all got kids who are getting to the age where they want to come, thought about getting ST's with the kids, but it's too expensive for me these days, need every penny for food shopping, filling the car up etc, everything's so much more expensive now that there's no disposible income for the Hibs. A lot of it is actually down to the state of scottish fitba too, sitting in the depths of December/January watching that ***** with my 5 year old, nah, no thank you. I miss the old days though, yearn for them even, even when we were really bad, and the times were really tough, we'd still turn up expecting, because we always had a bit of fight, a glimmer no matter how small, haven't felt that way for years.

strummbo
13-09-2011, 03:11 PM
from a gang of 8, none of us ... i would rather do something else and save my money...

DH1875
13-09-2011, 08:21 PM
we have a better squad now, than we have had in the last 2 years, so lets cut him a bit of slack.

Do you really believe that? IMO the squad 2 years ago was better. On top of that the football is kite and while we've never been world beaters we always believed that no matter how little, we had a chance. Not now.

Serious question. Out of all the people who know people who don't go anymore, how many of them are smokers? While I agree the board, the manager and the players have a lot to answer for I also think so do the pc brigade.

half.time.draw.
13-09-2011, 08:37 PM
From my local 8 st holders including me, bus does not even pick up there.

nortonhibby
13-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Do you really believe that? IMO the squad 2 years ago was better. On top of that the football is kite and while we've never been world beaters we always believed that no matter how little, we had a chance. Not now.

Serious question. Out of all the people who know people who don't go anymore, how many of them are smokers? While I agree the board, the manager and the players have a lot to answer for I also think so do the pc brigade.

We still go to the Scotland games but all 12 of us have given up going to the Hibernian Games i was the last to faulter but CCs team is a joke:top marks

Kaiser1962
13-09-2011, 08:57 PM
So basically no one's still going?

Coco Bryce
13-09-2011, 09:06 PM
6 of us, all season tickets holders never renewed. Only one goes now and usually texts us during the game to tell us how bad it is.

fatbloke
13-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Sadly I have to admit that after 50 years of going, running buses buying seasons, taking the kids and then the grandchildren, buying raffles draw tickets hibs Hat-Trick tickets etc I have stopped. I feel really guilty about this as Hibernian FC have been a huge part of my life. I went to Blackpool pre-season and everything seemed ok but I just don't want to go to ER. I have made many friends and met some wonderful people due to my hibs watching and for that I will be forever grateful. Anyone who knows me will know how much Hibernian mean to me and they will know this is not a decision I have taken lightly. I am worried pure and simply because I reckon that if I can stop going with my Hibby feelings then many thousands can feel similar to me.

My reasons
1. I am sick fed up watching Hibs lose to inferior teams - especially the khants from Swiney.
2. I feel we(the fans) have been shafted and are being shafted week in week out by the prices at ER.e,g Behind the Goals, food inside ER and prices in the shop - THEIR IS A RECESSION ON.
3. Many players are simply not good enough - HONEST ENDEAVOUR IS NOT ENOUGH.
4. We have actually turned up as a football team about 8 (and i feel I am being generous here) times since winning the CIS Cup in 2007. Maybe the deputation to Longniddry did irreparable damage to the club I love - ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD PLEASE.
5. There is absolutely hee-haw to entice me back at the moment.
6. Bits of nonsense like the latest Behind the Goals offer - LUDICROUS TO SAY THE LEAST.

I can understand how Kano and other high profile Hibby's feel just wish I and many like me dIdn't feel the same.

Hopefully this feeling will be temporary and I will be back soon. As I was once told when I die there will be thousands of Jambos attending my funeral - not to pay their respects - just to make sure that I have actually died - and I want to pass away a loyal regular attending hibby.

RP et al GET IT SORTED - PLEASE - just for me and thousands like me.

MOAN OVER!!!!!!!

down-the-slope
13-09-2011, 10:15 PM
i must admit that I find it odd that so many say they are not going / have lost all interest...but are still on here posting about he club :confused:

DH1875
13-09-2011, 10:44 PM
i must admit that I find it odd that so many say they are not going / have lost all interest...but are still on here posting about he club :confused:

Why? Look at the amount of fans we take to hampden for the cup finals. As an ex ST holder I LOVE the club and always will and lets be honest, if and it's still a big IF we are in any REAL danger of going down at the end of the season, ER will be full if we still have a chance of staying up. (Hope that makes some sort of sence)

Saorsa
13-09-2011, 10:51 PM
i must admit that I find it odd that so many say they are not going / have lost all interest...but are still on here posting about he club :confused:Maybe the only bit they've lost interest in is the 'throwing away hundreds of pounds of their hard earned every year on pure, unadulterated garbage' bit. I would suggest few if any have stopped caring, they're just fed up with the garbage we've been puting up with and fed up paying for it. Not going and not throwing away money is entirely different from not caring and has absolutely nothing tae do with posting on here. For starters this disnae cost over 400 quid a year and a lot more on top of that for most people particularly for those that travel longer distances tae watch it.

Kaiser1962
14-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Why? Look at the amount of fans we take to hampden for the cup finals. As an ex ST holder I LOVE the club and always will and lets be honest, if and it's still a big IF we are in any REAL danger of going down at the end of the season, ER will be full if we still have a chance of staying up. (Hope that makes some sort of sence)

Look at the amount Dundee United took against Ross County and they actually won the thing. In there with finishing third and fourth in the last couple of years yet their attendances are still falling along along with their season tickets and their income while pressure is increasing from their bankers.

So it cant just be down to results or success on the field? Can it?

grantonhibee
14-09-2011, 07:00 AM
a few of mine have stopped going and laugh at me for renewing my season ticket , the team is bad at the moment and a cant see where the next win will come from but all be there thro thick and thin

Kaiser1962
14-09-2011, 07:34 AM
a few of mine have stopped going and laugh at me for renewing my season ticket , the team is bad at the moment and a cant see where the next win will come from but all be there thro thick and thin

Look on the bright side. Come May all these guys will be buying you drink in the hope you can get them a ticket for the final at Hampden. :wink:

Stevie Reid
14-09-2011, 09:00 AM
My Dad and I were discussing not renewing next season, unless the style of football changes dramatically.

Going to ER is a depressing experience, not because of the whole host of defeats that we've had per se, but because of the pathetic way we go about our business on the park - there is not an ounce of football within us, nor can I see where we are going to produce any from until January at least. Add to that there is precious little fight, and not an ounce of genuine quality in the whole squad.

I think many people see something of themselves in their football team, something that they identify with, and I used to wonder how anyone could possibly stop going to see the Hibs who claims to be a supporter. But unfortunately no one at ER seems to care, and it's being passed on to the terracing.

basehibby
14-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Out of a gang of four, one has stopped going stating "I'll be back once Calderwoods off"".

I reckon he'll change his mind if Calderwood manages to put a decent run together - he better get a bloody move on though or he'll be playing to an empty house!

NOLA
14-09-2011, 09:59 AM
It's just not good value for money and hasn't been for a few years now, Williamson was right by the way, if you want entertainment go to the cinema, i take my daughter to the omni rather than ER thesedays, i dont see us going back in the near future sadly.

Tyler Durden
14-09-2011, 07:08 PM
In amongst a board of depressing threads, this one takes the biscuit, but I bet the vast majority of supporters identify with what's been posted. I'll add to the tales of woe!

I go in a group of 5 and we're all still going, but it's definitely getting harder. Due to work commitments I'll miss the next 6 months worth and it's bordering on a relief at the moment that I won't have to force myself along to ER. I'll probably find it difficult to give my season ticket away amongst friends and family.

Hand on heart I can't say I've really enjoyed a single game in the new East stand - not one! The loss of atmosphere combined with the appalling football we've endured for 18 months has just totally drained any enjoyment out of things. Another factor is the total lack of fight or pride shown by the players. I can't remember a single incident during the whole of last season at ER that sparked me and my mates or supporters around us into songs/chants. Just like a tackle or some show of unity/passion from the team. Utterly gutless pish served up for far too long.

The last game that I can actually remember Hibs showing some dig was a 2-2 draw at home to Aberdeen in February 2010. We were 2 down at half time but you never felt we were out of it, played good football, fought back into the game and left disappointed with a draw. Don't want to get into a Yogi debate but we've regressed massively since then. Calderwood's attitude, body language, general demeanour and acceptance of mediocrity certainly won't help.

Anyway having heard so many Hibbies stop going for 6 months or a year and never returning, I'm in danger of falling into that group. Can't see it but you never know. Equally, I can't see things getting any better under Calderwood.

Depressing indeed!

Alfred E Newman
14-09-2011, 08:11 PM
My Dad and I were discussing not renewing next season, unless the style of football changes dramatically.

Going to ER is a depressing experience, not because of the whole host of defeats that we've had per se, but because of the pathetic way we go about our business on the park - there is not an ounce of football within us, nor can I see where we are going to produce any from until January at least. Add to that there is precious little fight, and not an ounce of genuine quality in the whole squad.

I think many people see something of themselves in their football team, something that they identify with, and I used to wonder how anyone could possibly stop going to see the Hibs who claims to be a supporter. But unfortunately no one at ER seems to care, and it's being passed on to the terracing.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Supporters need to feel an affinity with the team and that has not happened since the Mowbray team was sold off. The nucleus of that team was home reared but now the squad is loaded with 2nd and 3rd rate foreign imports who quite simply could not give a jot about the club.

Albion Hibs
14-09-2011, 08:20 PM
One, but I have deleted his phone number from my phone, removed him from my facebook, informed him via my solicitor that I am no longer going to the godfather to his first borne, stolen his mrs off him, forced his business down the swanny, then bought his house on the cheap when he could not keep up the mortgage payments. He is now chained up the shed at the bottom of his old garden/my new house.

Only kidding, none of us have stopped going, and in any event I would not let them off as lightly as that anyway.

IberianHibernian
14-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Depressing thread but an important one since watching your team is a habit and once you get out of the habit there`s no guarantee you`ll get back into it . A lot of the people who post on here live a long way from ER and however happy they are with their lives would love to be watching Hibs at 3 pm on a Saturday . A visit to ER now and they`d probably be glad thery can`t make many matches . I watch games on Hibernian TV and admit that on Saturday I found myself watching cycling on telly as much as our game . Team`s totally uninspiring and uninspired ( still looking for a leader - Sauzee was last decent one ) and there`s a general lack of quality throughout the team ( ironically Stack and Brown are probably the best goalie team we`ve had for many years ) . To blame it all on CC is simplistic ( though I never thought he was a good appointment ) and a lot of the problems are not just ours ( too much football on TV , high prices , silly kick off times , uncompetitive league , footballers without basic skills ,..) but it`s hard to find positives . I think we`re going to start picking up points soon but will certainly not be celebrating a top 6 place with present entertainment value .

nortonhibby
14-09-2011, 08:51 PM
My kids pal stayed over last weekend a good player only 13 but a good wee player Hibs Daft:flag:

but now given up, says he wont go back to ER ever, his mum took him to the games at considerable cost and expense but no more as only the one parent, dad a drunk, but a great wee kid.

Lost for ever what direction is RP Taking our club.

Total Joke.

Jack
15-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Well the good news is my daughter started coming with me to games last season and got a season ticket for the first time this season. She's a great wee new Hibby, loves the signing, loves the atmosphere and all the other stuff about going to the match!

No, really, she does. I can't wait until she sees what it should be like - in the meantime I feel like a bad Dad.

So, in the meantime, sorry ClaireLouise the dotnet lurker!

happiehibbie
15-09-2011, 09:36 AM
I did not go to the match for a couple of reasons

1 Football on a Sunday does not go down with me well I prefer to keep footie on a SAT

2 I am coming out of ER more angry everyweek it is not enjoyable and would prefer to do something I enjoy

like the other posters i too struggle to give my ST away for free things are not good for us at the moment

TheEastTerrace
15-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Out of a group of about 7-8, none of us are regular anymore. In fact, sad to admit that my only game at ER recently was the Celtic game last season, and that was even a comp ticket from one of the Hibs' staff.

I used to be a ST holder, and if not, still averaged 12-15 home games a season PATG. I stopped going regularly after John Collins left. The club has lurched from farce to farce ever since, including poor managerial appointments and a player turnover that must be bordering on the ridiculous. A vast majority of these players have been of very poor quality.

Other issues include ticket pricing and the inverse relationship to quality of entertainment i.e Scottish football is simply not worth an average of £25 per home game or upwards of £450 per ST. I am very well aware of the argument that by not going, we're shooting the club in the foot by denying them an important income generator.

But why should we pick up the meal ticket all the time? I prefer to think of it this way - the management of SPL clubs should be made highly accountable for some lamentable decisions over recent years, including the cock-up of the TV deal with SKY/doomed SPLTV concept that left us with a shockingly poor deal with BBC a few years back, paying inflated wages on long contracts and high transfer fees for average players that sent clubs into unsustainable debt, trying to force a new SPL structure against the wishes of a majority of surveyed fans (customers in business speak, which in other industries would result in companies hitting the downward slope to insolvency for not meeting the needs of paying customers), and other reason I'm sure.

At Hibs more specifically, we sold off the family silver in the knowledge that it would move the club further towards financial stability, and invested in a new stadium and training facility that we can be rightly proud of. However, on the park, it has been an utter farce and joke going into the fourth season running now. The management choices have been cheap options and going for the easiest option that will appease supporters. In our case, it has been past players.

The player recruitment has been, by and large, woeful and the sooner someone at senior management level is employed in a director of football position the better. Some say the manager should be this person, I don't think so. Leave the senior side to him. In Hibs' case we have accountants running the football side of the business i.e. Petrie and Lindsay. What makes them qualified to look after football strategy? And by that, I don't mean business, I mean youth development strategy, player recruitment, talent spotting, coaching, etc.

Anyways, has turned into a bit of a rant and there's more I could say. I still care about my club but there's too much mismanagement and lack of feelgood factor around the club, I just can't bring myself to go back for the time being.

jdships
15-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Out of a group of about 7-8, none of us are regular anymore. In fact, sad to admit that my only game at ER recently was the Celtic game last season, and that was even a comp ticket from one of the Hibs' staff.

I used to be a ST holder, and if not, still averaged 12-15 home games a season PATG. I stopped going regularly after John Collins left. The club has lurched from farce to farce ever since, including poor managerial appointments and a player turnover that must be bordering on the ridiculous. A vast majority of these players have been of very poor quality.

Other issues include ticket pricing and the inverse relationship to quality of entertainment i.e Scottish football is simply not worth an average of £25 per home game or upwards of £450 per ST. I am very well aware of the argument that by not going, we're shooting the club in the foot by denying them an important income generator.

But why should we pick up the meal ticket all the time? I prefer to think of it this way - the management of SPL clubs should be made highly accountable for some lamentable decisions over recent years, including the cock-up of the TV deal with SKY/doomed SPLTV concept that left us with a shockingly poor deal with BBC a few years back, paying inflated wages on long contracts and high transfer fees for average players that sent clubs into unsustainable debt, trying to force a new SPL structure against the wishes of a majority of surveyed fans (customers in business speak, which in other industries would result in companies hitting the downward slope to insolvency for not meeting the needs of paying customers), and other reason I'm sure.

At Hibs more specifically, we sold off the family silver in the knowledge that it would move the club further towards financial stability, and invested in a new stadium and training facility that we can be rightly proud of. However, on the park, it has been an utter farce and joke going into the fourth season running now. The management choices have been cheap options and going for the easiest option that will appease supporters. In our case, it has been past players.

The player recruitment has been, by and large, woeful and the sooner someone at senior management level is employed in a director of football position the better. Some say the manager should be this person, I don't think so. Leave the senior side to him. In Hibs' case we have accountants running the football side of the business i.e. Petrie and Lindsay. What makes them qualified to look after football strategy? And by that, I don't mean business, I mean youth development strategy, player recruitment, talent spotting, coaching, etc.

Anyways, has turned into a bit of a rant and there's more I could say. I still care about my club but there's too much mismanagement and lack of feelgood factor around the club, I just can't bring myself to go back for the time being.

Good post ! :thumbsup:

It comes down to what many of us have written about over the past while
ENTERTAINMENT
Football/sport is part of the entertainment business and as such has to accept the problems of customer satisfaction that " go with the job"
If your favoutite musician/singer soesn't produce good material or the concerts are poor you dont buy cd's/attend
If crap films are made you don't go to the cinema .
If an eatery serves poor food you go elsewhere .
If the girls in the sauna are not " hibs class" you don't go back :wink::greengrin:na na:
The list is endless!

When any of the above happen it is extremely difficult to "woo" people back given that in 2011 there are so many alternatives entertainment wise and attendances will continue to fall :rolleyes:
Our little group have gone back to watching local club rughy and enjoying a pint afterwards . " cheap and cheerful" - yes but there is a feeling you are watching thirty+ guys giving it their best shot because they enjoy it :greengrin

Will I be back at ER ? - the $64000 question
Time will tell

Remember the old joke
Q " What tome is the KO today ? "
A " What time can you make it ? "
:wink:

Dashing Bob S
15-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I think, as DD says, not going and not caring are two different things. An aspiration towards quality football remains in the Hibernian fan's DNA. Unlike the slow-witted buffoons across the city, a significant number of our fan base never have and never will tolerate eye-bleeding hoofball, even if it gets results - which it clearly isn't under Calderwood. Yes, some stalwarts will always come out with the argument that to stay away is to weaken the club, but I think our inability to put up with rubbish distinguishes us from the Yam, which is always inherently a good thing.

I still go regularly but find myself wishing I was somewhere else most of the time. In that respect I'm not unlike our current manager.

Ultimately though, not only are we not seeing any progress under Calderwood, we've yet to see signs where any progress might come from.

With our infrastructure and facilities, we should never outside the top four in Scotland, bar the odd transitional season where it would be acceptable to be 5th or 6th. The board deserve credit for this, but the fact is that for the last four years we've failed spectacularly in a weak league stuffed largely with small-town clubs. We need a manager with a strong personality who has a game plan to revitalise the club at every level. CC, who seems a decent enough individual, is clearly not that man. He might argue that he needs time to get his ideas across. I think that you have to earn that time by showing SOMETHING in terms of development and potential. It seems to me that we now have a weaker squad than we did two years ago, bereft of leadership, flair and enthusiasm. But there isn't an easy fix- if we're being honest, how we've repeatedly failed over the last four years is something of a mystery to us all.

Mickey Edwards
15-09-2011, 05:06 PM
It's not that complicated

Hibs playing low risk football is a high risk strategy.

High risk football and you'll still get the odd numpty shouting "get it up the park" but mostly you'll get the turnstiles clicking again. {plus your players will develop quicker and be worth more}