PDA

View Full Version : Behind the goals 'deal' for the St Johnstone game

Eaststand
12-09-2011, 07:07 AM
I'm beginning to feel that our board can't even get the basics right when it comes to marketing at ER

There were leaflets on the tables in the BTG advertising a deal for season ticket holders going to the St Johnstone midweek game later this month

If you pay £20 you get,

A beer .................................................. .........................................worth £3
A match programme......................................... ................................worth £3
A burger....I'm not 100% sure what they cost, but that's probably worth about £4

Why would the genius in marketing/hospitality who thought this up expect any supporter to pay £20 for what add's up to a tenners worth ?
We already know from a recent BBC poll that our club are the most expensive to watch in the SPL

This type of bollocks marketing makes me think that someone in our boardroom hasn't yet quite grasped the fact that most folks are spending their hard earned cash more carefully that ever, and this latest 'offer' to supporters shouldn't have seen the light of day.

GGTTH

marinello59
12-09-2011, 07:13 AM
A better deal would have been to play the match at its originally scheduled 3pm kick off time. A lot of out of towners just won't make the game.
I didn't see the leaflets by the way, surely there was more to it than that. :confused:

Saorsa
12-09-2011, 07:24 AM
A better deal would have been to play the match at its originally scheduled 3pm kick off time. A lot of out of towners just won't make the game.
I didn't see the leaflets by the way, surely there was more to it than that. :confused:You get a special seat facing away from the park :agree:

Beefster
12-09-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm beginning to feel that our board can't even get the basics right when it comes to marketing at ER

There were leaflets on the tables in the BTG advertising a deal for season ticket holders going to the St Johnstone midweek game later this month

If you pay £20 you get,

A beer .................................................. .........................................worth £3
A match programme......................................... ................................worth £3
A burger....I'm not 100% sure what they cost, but that's probably worth about £4

Why would the genius in marketing/hospitality who thought this up expect any supporter to pay £20 for what add's up to a tenners worth ?
We already know from a recent BBC poll that our club are the most expensive to watch in the SPL

This type of bollocks marketing makes me think that someone in our boardroom hasn't yet quite grasped the fact that most folks are spending their hard earned cash more carefully that ever, and this latest 'offer' to supporters shouldn't have seen the light of day.

GGTTH

One of our number thought it was a great deal after reading £20 as £2. The rest of the table were pissing themselves at how mince a deal it was.

Eaststand
12-09-2011, 07:53 AM
I didn't see the leaflets by the way, surely there was more to it than that. :confused:

I wish there was more to it...I read it and thought the same, there surely must be something I've missed, so I checked it out again as did the folks around me, and unfortunately, the deal is as listed.

I really do worry about who our boardroom leaders are when we fail to get simple things like this right

GGTTH

Eaststand
12-09-2011, 07:58 AM
One of our number thought it was a great deal after reading £20 as £2. The rest of the table were pissing themselves at how mince a deal it was.

Yep, the 'deal' we are being offered is such a pile of rubbish that it actually reminded me of the sketch in The life of Brian when Michael Palin falls from the roof, then eric idle tries to barter with him for a few sheckles.....

GGTTH

DaveF
12-09-2011, 08:00 AM

If you pay £20 you get,

GGTTH

That's just simply embarrassing.

Saorsa
12-09-2011, 08:02 AM
I wish there was more to it...I read it and thought the same, there surely must be something I've missed, so I checked it out again as did the folks around me, and unfortunately, the deal is as listed.

I really do worry about who our boardroom leaders are when we fail to get simple things like this right

GGTTHPerhaps they've missed the bit where it was supposed tae say it was for 3 people :greengrin

Groathillgrump
12-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Fitba' fans have been taken for mugs for years now. Inflated admission prices, match days that can be on any day of the week and at any time of day, rip-off club merchandise and catering - the list is endless. I honestly think people who run clubs think we're thick and this so called BTG 'deal' is a classic example of that mindset.

I'm guessing they won't be knocked over in the stampede to take up this amazing deal!

Simon70
12-09-2011, 10:10 AM
On the subject of Behind the Goals, anyone notice that the price of a pint has soared?

When the place opened (9 or 10 years ago?) a pint of Carlsberg was £1.50. Now a rotten pint of Tennents is £3 and a pint of magners is £4.

I know prices have gone up everywhere over those years, but you are not telling me that there has been 100+% inflation in beer prices over that period.

What began supposedly as a perk for season ticket holders is now just another scheme to remove cash from the wallets of Hibs fans. No wonder it isn't as busy as it used to be - people are rightly going elsewhere.

H18sry
12-09-2011, 10:17 AM

If you pay £20 you get,

GGTTH

I've not seen the voucher's but will it not upgrade your seat to one in the hospitality seats?

HibeeMassive
12-09-2011, 10:36 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/CurrentOffers/0,,10290,00.html

You get access to the Eighteen75 suite, but still use your own season ticket seat for the match.
Does seem a strange one, I must admit..

DarrenSQH
12-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Behind the goals prices are a joke. I got a Crabbies and it was £4, the place is even sponsored by them. Its a shame as behind the goals used to be good before games.

Also my wee cousing that goes to games is now having to pay £3.90 for a hotdog in the ground.

You would get cheaper food and drink even at T in the Park and everyone knows how much a rip off that place is.

.Sean.
12-09-2011, 11:39 AM
BTG is boring, bland and over-priced. I can understand folk going if they're taking bairns but I can't think of one reason me and my pals would opt for a pint in their over somewhere like The Nip.

Gus
12-09-2011, 11:48 AM
I've not seen the voucher's but will it not upgrade your seat to one in the hospitality seats?

WOW, it is worth the extra tenner then just to get a comfy seat watching p1sh

hibbymac
12-09-2011, 11:57 AM

You don't, you get your own seat, so basically, you are paying £10 to access the 1875 lounge for a couple of hours. See post 12 above.

H18sry
12-09-2011, 12:05 PM

Canny be as bad as watching the p1sh I watched pre Aberdeen game yesterday :devil:

KeithTheHibby
12-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Worse deal ever. Whoever sanctioned it should be sacked. I bet the take up will be in single figures.

Sir David Gray
12-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Hibs would say that, normally, access to the eighteen75 lounge would cost you £90 for a CAT B match and therefore, £20 for access to the lounge before the game, a pint, a programme and a burger is actually quite a good deal.

KWJ
12-09-2011, 12:11 PM
I realise it's gone up considerably but there was no way it was going to stay £1.50 a pint and £1 a nip (Whyte & MacKay was it?)

£3 for a pint of tennents is less than a lot of pubs in Edinburgh and certainly less than restaurants or whatever. £4 for a bottle of Crabbies (assuming this is the 500ml bottles) isn't too shabby either as that's about what it is in pubs too.

Haven't been in BTG for some time but if that's the prices I'd be pleasantly surprised. Not a bit Tennents fan but if it's even more pish then normal then a wee email about cleaning their lines more often should be sent.

hibbymac
12-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Hibs would say that, normally, access to the eighteen75 lounge would cost you £90 for a CAT B match and therefore, £20 for access to the lounge before the game, a pint, a programme and a burger is actually quite a good deal.

You get a wee bit more for a "hospitality" package, which would include a ticket, .....

Eighteen75 Package Highlights include:
• Pre and post match speaker
• Player appearances
• Champagne and canape reception*
• Four Course Meal*
• Bar facility pre and post match
• Excellent Executive seat in the West Stand
• Half time snacks
• Match programme and teamsheet
• Licensed betting facilities

Jack
12-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Behind the goals prices are a joke. I got a Crabbies and it was £4, the place is even sponsored by them. Its a shame as behind the goals used to be good before games.

Also my wee cousing that goes to games is now having to pay £3.90 for a hotdog in the ground.

You would get cheaper food and drink even at T in the Park and everyone knows how much a rip off that place is.

TBF he doesn’t ‘have’ to buy anything. :greengrin

The answer is, of course, if you or anyone else is not happy is to become a member of the Hibs Club. :top marks

Very good prices; a huge selection of drinks both alcoholic and softies and slush puppies and tea and coffee and hot chocolate and probably many others I’ve forgotten about! And the staff have smiles, well most of them :greengrin and one of the girls has a prema-smile – she just cant help being nice and helpful!!!

The girls that do the food do a great job too with very decent fare at very decent prices.

TBH I’ve not counted the number of screens that show the footy, if its on, there's loads – including 3D.

The Hibs Club – more than just a Club, its your Club. :aok:

hibsbollah
12-09-2011, 12:26 PM

£90? Is that just to watch the game from? I believe the platinum club at st james ' park is the same price and the facilities are a tad bettr than the 1875 suite. Unless the Hibs commercial director has laid on 61 Lafite-Rothschild on tap, Tom Kitchin's carpaccio of venison and half an hour extras from the scorpio leisure girls, it doesnt sound like a good deal at all.

hibbymac
12-09-2011, 12:32 PM
£90? Is that just to watch the game from? I believe the platinum club at st james ' park is the same price and the facilities are a tad bettr than the 1875 suite. Unless the Hibs commercial director has laid on 61 Lafite-Rothschild on tap, Tom Kitchin's carpaccio of venison and half an hour extras from the scorpio leisure girls, it doesnt sound like a good deal at all.

You ever thought about applying for the Hospitality managers job? :greengrin

--------
12-09-2011, 12:45 PM

Aye, but if you still have to watch the game.... :rolleyes:

Golden Bear
12-09-2011, 12:55 PM
On the subject of Behind the Goals, anyone notice that the price of a pint has soared?

When the place opened (9 or 10 years ago?) a pint of Carlsberg was £1.50. Now a rotten pint of Tennents is £3 and a pint of magners is £4.

I know prices have gone up everywhere over those years, but you are not telling me that there has been 100+% inflation in beer prices over that period.

What began supposedly as a perk for season ticket holders is now just another scheme to remove cash from the wallets of Hibs fans. No wonder it isn't as busy as it used to be - people are rightly going elsewhere.

:agree:

BTG is a brilliant facility but the prices have gone way over the top in the last couple of years.

sven nil
12-09-2011, 01:44 PM
£90? Is that just to watch the game from? I believe the platinum club at st james ' park is the same price and the facilities are a tad bettr than the 1875 suite. Unless the Hibs commercial director has laid on 61 Lafite-Rothschild on tap, Tom Kitchin's carpaccio of venison and half an hour extras from the scorpio leisure girls, it doesnt sound like a good deal at all. And as any good butcher will tell you venison is not cheap!

Jim44
12-09-2011, 01:53 PM
And as any good butcher will tell you venison is not cheap!

I was offered eight legs of venison for £75 ...... is that two deer? :greengrin :offski: ............. the old ones are the best ones.

HibbyDave
12-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Yep, the 'deal' we are being offered is such a pile of rubbish that it actually reminded me of the sketch in The life of Brian when Michael Palin falls from the roof, then eric idle tries to barter with him for a few sheckles.....

GGTTH

Is that the bit when the spaceship flies in to catch him?

Ps If you don't believe that there is a space ship in Life of Brian get a hold of a copy and watch it again coz there is!!!

sunshine1875
12-09-2011, 03:12 PM

Also, the food has gone up in price, whilst the quantity / quality has dropped. The chips yesterday were very poor quality!

As a member of a club, you normally expect discounted prices, whereas it seems to be the reverse in BTGs.

Rod also comes in and always goes up to the same faces where he knows he will get a good reception. Why doesn't he stop at any table and ask "how are you"?

Eaststand
12-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Is that the bit when the spaceship flies in to catch him?

Ps If you don't believe that there is a space ship in Life of Brian get a hold of a copy and watch it again coz there is!!!

I remember the spaceship scene too :-)
The bargaining scene is when the romans are searching a house looking for Brian and he tries to hide but falls out of the window and lands next to eric idle in a market...so to try and fit in with the marketplace and confuse the romans, they barter and eric idle has to explain to Brian how to do that (I said it was Michael Palin earlier but it was Graham Chapman) ... 10 sheckels, 10 sheckels...you're robbing me blind guv

Hiber-nation
12-09-2011, 05:42 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/CurrentOffers/0,,10290,00.html

You get access to the Eighteen75 suite, but still use your own season ticket seat for the match.
Does seem a strange one, I must admit..

I can only assume that they are fleecing punters to the tune of around a tenner to have the privilege of being in the 1875 suite. Unless the guinness burger is about £12.

Even by Hibs standards this is the rip-off to end all rip-offs.

Sammy7nil
12-09-2011, 06:19 PM
When I wrote to Fife Hyland I made this suggestion.

I said Hibs should have Cheap deals for games they dont sell out hospitality, I suggested access to a pay bar, Ladbrokes, a reserved table and waitress service. The food offered should be lower quality than normal hospitality and if priced and marketed right I still think it could work.

If you pay £90 for a 3 course meal and your ticket surely some sort of deal could be put together for fans to pay less for special occasions (like home wins) were the cost was far cheaper.

The deal on offer and they way it has been marketed is a joke.

Since90+2
12-09-2011, 07:34 PM
So basically its a tenner to get to stand in a function suite? Aw hud me back......

LancashireHibby
12-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Never mind the 'deal' for BTG, I'm wondering if I'm the only person who doesn't see the St Johnstone home game on the official website and only found out it's so soon after checking the BBC site?!

Hiber-nation
12-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Never mind the 'deal' for BTG, I'm wondering if I'm the only person who doesn't see the St Johnstone home game on the official website and only found out it's so soon after checking the BBC site?!

Incredible, even by the awful standard of the offishul site. Yesterday's result is there but despite the fact that the St J game was changed at the beginning of the season the fixture list is still not updated. And folk on here moan that other fans are constantly running down the club :confused:

oconnors_strip
12-09-2011, 08:08 PM

the club printed the small wallet sized fixture lists with this fixture as 14th september!!

as for the hospitality offers, least the club are trying:rolleyes:

hibbymac
12-09-2011, 08:16 PM
the club printed the small wallet sized fixture lists with this fixture as 14th september!!

as for the hospitality offers, least the club are trying:rolleyes:

You're not wrong there.

MCC Hibs
13-09-2011, 10:28 AM
I bought a large pizza from Dominos for £9.99,guy said if i paid full price (£15.99) he would throw in 2 chicken strippers for free,Are they not 2 for £6 anyway?As i'm not a Yam fud i didn't go for it.

basehibby
13-09-2011, 01:22 PM

:agree: I noticed this and emailed the club on the 18th Aug to highlight the fact. I received a mail from Fife Hyland the next day stating:

".....Thanks for your email. We are addressing how our fixtures feed is managed currently and your points are noted...."

Evidently this has NOT been addressed in anything like an efficient manner.....

The Berwick fixture did not appear on the official fixture list either until AFTER the match :confused:
Someone has managed to get in there and add the Motherwell Cup fixture but has STILL neglected to add the St Johnstone game (that's 7 (SEVEN) weeks after the fixture was announced).
I was at pains to point out to the club the obvious fact that they WILL lose revenue if this is not addressed and almost 4 weeks later the St Johnstone fixture is still not up there - which leads me to the conclusion that someone at the club needs their lazy incompetent erse kicked :fuming:

I will be mailing Hyland presently to draw his attention to this necessity.

HibbyRod
13-09-2011, 01:36 PM
:agree: I noticed this and emailed the club on the 18th Aug to highlight the fact. I received a mail from Fife Hyland the next day stating:

".....Thanks for your email. We are addressing how our fixtures feed is managed currently and your points are noted...."

The Berwick fixture did not appear on the official fixture list either until AFTER the match :confused:
Someone has managed to get in there and add the Motherwell Cup fixture but has STILL neglected to add the St Johnstone game (that's 7 (SEVEN) weeks after the fixture was announced).
I was at pains to point out to the club the obvious fact that they WILL lose revenue if this is not addressed and almost 4 weeks later the St Johnstone fixture is still not up there - which leads me to the conclusion that someone at the club needs their lazy incompetent erse kicked :fuming:

Fife is on holiday .... not back until the 19th.

Best try someone else in the ticket office, or, what about Scott Lindsay?

DaveF
13-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Fife is on holiday .... not back until the 19th.

Best try someone else in the ticket office, or, what about Scott Lindsay?

Surely someone manages his email while he is away?

1875 NO 1
13-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Incredible, even by the awful standard of the offishul site. Yesterday's result is there but despite the fact that the St J game was changed at the beginning of the season the fixture list is still not updated. And folk on here moan that other fans are constantly running down the club :confused:

I addressed this point in person to Mr Hyland over a month ago. The fixture list on the web site is done by an outside company. We don't have the money to get too many changes made to the fixture lists.

We are a Mickey Mouse outfit.

Pedantic_Hibee
13-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Surely someone manages his email while he is away?

http://www.viewfromablue.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/garry-cook.jpg?w=292

bob12345
14-09-2011, 12:31 AM
I am presuming the teamsheet comes on a complimentary iPad?

smurf
14-09-2011, 06:31 AM
The offer is pathetic. The club really do need to be a bit more creative and innovative in order to get people either back to Easter Road or to upspend current attenders.

H18sry
14-09-2011, 08:44 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110914/hibernian-flavoured-midweek-special_2262950_2450477 :rolleyes:

Beefster
14-09-2011, 08:52 AM
I addressed this point in person to Mr Hyland over a month ago. The fixture list on the web site is done by an outside company. We don't have the money to get too many changes made to the fixture lists.

If true, that is truly Mickey Mouse. I'm astonished that a career comms guy like Hyland doesn't understand how amateurish stuff like that makes the club look.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110914/hibernian-flavoured-midweek-special_2262950_2450477 :rolleyes:

It's still mince. On the plus side, at least they react to criticism - it's just a pity that they appear to be so devoid of innovative ideas.

basehibby
14-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Well - whoever the "outside company" are they are clearly a bunch of ham fisted wasters that needs launching - pathetic shower of charlattans! :fuming:

NB - I notice the fixture has FINALY been included on the listings as of today - about bloody time too! (only seven weeks late)

Jim44
14-09-2011, 09:49 AM
If true, that is truly Mickey Mouse. I'm astonished that a career comms guy like Hyland doesn't understand how amateurish stuff like that makes the club look.

It's still mince. On the plus side, at least they react to criticism - it's just a pity that they appear to be so devoid of innovative ideas.

Well the hamburger is. Is it really such a bad deal? -

The full package includes;

·Access to Eighteen75 from 5.45pm

·Pint of lager/glass of wine on arrival

·Guinness burger (7oz. 100% Scotch Beef & Guinness burger served in a bun with sliced tomato, grilled onions, salsa, side salad and a seasoned fries)

·Pre match host Grant Stott

·Cash bar facility

·Match programme & team-sheet

·Licensed betting facility pre match

·Executive seat in West Stand lower tier or season ticket seat

·Dress code - Smart Casual

Only £20 per person

I think that's very reasonable (unless I am missing something in the detail) :dunno:

Franck is God
14-09-2011, 10:01 AM

This is actually a pretty good deal. I would imagine that they will have asked those that have gone along to match day hospitality in the past what they would do more often and tried to work out a package to tempt more along.

If I wasn't completely skint at the moment I would definitely get a group of my mates along for something like this, for midweek games it makes sense to head somewhere for a bite to eat and a drink before hand anyway which if you want to eat in a restaurant will cost at least between £10 & £15 each so this kind of offer from the club is the sort of thing you could do a few times in a season as opposed to a one off.

Why are some fans against the club making some extra cash from the facilities we have available, if its not for you then don't go don't just moan about it.

flash
14-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Well the hamburger is. Is it really such a bad deal? -

The full package includes;

·Access to Eighteen75 from 5.45pm

·Pint of lager/glass of wine on arrival

·Guinness burger (7oz. 100% Scotch Beef & Guinness burger served in a bun with sliced tomato, grilled onions, salsa, side salad and a seasoned fries)

·Pre match host Grant Stott

·Cash bar facility

·Match programme & team-sheet

·Licensed betting facility pre match

·Executive seat in West Stand lower tier or season ticket seat

·Dress code - Smart Casual

Only £20 per person

I think that's very reasonable (unless I am missing something in the detail) :dunno:

I agree Jim. it's not as bad as is being made out by those who would do the club down at every opportunity.

Beefster
14-09-2011, 01:58 PM

I suppose it depends on what you think is value for money. As was pointed out there is about £10 worth of goods so that means that the other £10 is to access a room, get a bit of paper with the team on it, be allowed to have a bet, hear Grant Stott and get to choose whether to sit in your own seat or another one (which would have a poorer view than my own). None of which I'd want to pay money for, especially when I'm already paying over £20 to be at the game.

Beefster
14-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I agree Jim. it's not as bad as is being made out by those who would do the club down at every opportunity.

Except when I'm defending Calderwood or a misbehaving player against the lynch mob or giving the club credit for doing something good obviously.

Way to dismiss an viewpoint without putting any effort in though.

LancashireHibby
14-09-2011, 02:04 PM
I suppose it depends on what you think is value for money. As was pointed out there is about £10 worth of goods so that means that the other £10 is to access a room, get a bit of paper with the team on it, be allowed to have a bet, hear Grant Stott and get to choose whether to sit in your own seat or another one (which would have a poorer view than my own). None of which I'd want to pay money for, especially when I'm already paying over £20 to be at the game.

On further consideration though I think you're getting more than £10 worth of goods. £3 for the pint (which is cheaper than some pubs around ER), I think it's fair to say that the burger & chips would probably cost at least £8 in any given pub in Edinburgh, match programme £3 so you're close to the £15 mark already without the added fact you're in an 'exclusive' lounge and have the added bonus of being able to stay in the bar/bookies much later than you could ordinarily! Would be interested to know how much it is for a non season ticket holder, mind.

HH81
14-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Would it not be 20 plus 22? I would pay that as a one off if I got an exc seat too.

happiehibbie
15-09-2011, 09:39 AM
I am going to take some credit here I e mailed the club re this offer I now see the have re worded the offer which in all fairness is better pls see mail below

I would like to ask who thought of this idea an absolute joke. CROWDS are down drastically !! Season tickets sales DOWN drastically .

A midweek game against ST Johnstone and you value a pint a burger and a programme @ £20.00 lets break it down to cost

A burger £2.00 max beer £2.00 max a team sheet 10p a program (way to many made so they will be thrown out in ) £1.00 so to let some supporters into the 1875 lounge leaves you £16.90 profit YOU really need to wake up Hibernian you are bleeding us dry and not producing the goods on the field

I wont be taking this offer up

Regards

Stephen