PDA

View Full Version : Calderwood's Post Match Comments

MountcastleHibs
11-09-2011, 04:40 PM
'It was dreadful at times, and occasionally it was worse than that.'

You've got that right Colin. About the only thing you have recently.

Saorsa
11-09-2011, 04:44 PM

You've got that right Colin. About the only thing you have recently.Could be applicable tae almost every game we've played since he took charge.

Nae hints of his master plan tae remedy the situation then?

Golden Bear
11-09-2011, 04:50 PM

Reality has kicked in ------------------ at last.

nortonhibby
11-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Could be applicable tae almost every game we've played since he took charge.

Nae hints of his master plan tae do remedy the situation then?

The only plan i can see is his desire to beat Duffys Record and he is closing in on it fast after that who knows maybee sign more players in the January Window.
Our last home win was in February in the league.:confused:

Keith_M
11-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Any hints about what he, the manager, plans to do about it?

If he's decided on being Mr Honest, how about he says this after the next game, "I couldn't turn around the last manager's players and get them playing so I've now got my own team in. However, I can't get them playing either. Where's they liquorice allsorts?"

Albion Hibs
11-09-2011, 05:18 PM
It was not pretty. I think today was a case of two teams that can not afford to get beaten and that told from the start.

I did not think that they looked like doing anything until the last 15/20 mins, and O'Connor had a few fresh air specials, other than that much of a nothing. We kept a clean sheet and I thought the defense did pretty well today, which given recent games is pretty pleasing - fingers crossed we are building from the back getting each department sorted on the way. I guess a point is a point.

mcfly
11-09-2011, 05:20 PM

His time is up -we are easy to beat now and fans are staying away from his brand of football in droves.

he'll still take his wages though.

Double training sessions, no days off until we start winning thats what he should be doing

God hibs hack me off

Gala Foxes
11-09-2011, 05:24 PM
You could build a tram system between the airport and St Andrew Square in the pauses in that interview

Andy74
11-09-2011, 05:56 PM
We got a clean sheet but our defending was still comical.

CC started talking about enjoying what his players were doing right now. What did he mean?

Wotherspiniesta
11-09-2011, 06:01 PM
It was not pretty. I think today was a case of two teams that can not afford to get beaten and that told from the start.

I did not think that they looked like doing anything until the last 15/20 mins, and O'Connor had a few fresh air specials, other than that much of a nothing. We kept a clean sheet and I thought the defense did pretty well today, which given recent games is pretty pleasing - fingers crossed we are building from the back getting each department sorted on the way. I guess a point is a point.

I think the defence is an utter shambles. Still.

Thought we controlled the midfield up until about the last 20 minutes. Once they started putting our defence under a tiny bit of pressure, they started making daft decisions. Booth trying to dribble out from the corner flag being one. Infact the only one of our back 5 that was commited to attacking the ball today was Stack.

NOLA
11-09-2011, 06:03 PM
TBF he is at least honest in describing the match as poor, not much else he could have said given the questions, cant see him being able to turn things around though.

Albion Hibs
11-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I think the defence is an utter shambles. Still.

Thought we controlled the midfield up until about the last 20 minutes. Once they started putting our defence under a tiny bit of pressure, they started making daft decisions. Booth trying to dribble out from the corner flag being one. Infact the only one of our back 5 that was commited to attacking the ball today was Stack.

I would agree with the bit in bold, I am sure CC is glad he did not have to worry about him doing that for 90mins, so just the one scare in the 25 or so he was on. The kid needs to learn not to play football there, get shot of it, and play when we are attacking, not defending.

I dont think our midfield controlled the game. I think they generally played okay, I just hope Osborne reminds his brother to let Palsson out of his back pocket before he jumps on the bus back up to Aberdeen!! I think bringing griffths on forces us to play more of a 4-4-2, alas we lost having a striker droping into midfield to help with there additional man and would agree that they had more of the game from that point on, but think the defence generally coped well.

I just hope they take confidence from the clean sheet.

Hibs Class
11-09-2011, 06:26 PM
If CC said "I've got the players with the ability to win, I put them on the park and they don't perform" I'd agree with him. What does anyone seriously imagine a different manager would achieve with the same group of players?

Stevie Reid
11-09-2011, 06:36 PM
We got a clean sheet but our defending was still comical.

CC started talking about enjoying what his players were doing right now. What did he mean?

Totally agree - Hanlon was actually quite good today but O'Hanlon was a bombscare at times, in the second half especially; had really high hopes for him too. Clean sheet came from Aberdeen not being good enough to punish us, better teams than them will capitalise, and our next 3 games are against teams who seem to be better than them.

No idea what CC was talking about - we are hopeless in every department, and there are no signs of anything improving. Decent players on paper producing crap performances every week points at the manager not being good enough. God knows what we do in training every week.

Only "entertainment" today came from Stack's moments of madness and Martin Scott conceding a corner whilst facing the opposite direction on the halfway line. We are hopeless, and we're not getting any better.

Alfred E Newman
11-09-2011, 06:43 PM
If CC said "I've got the players with the ability to win, I put them on the park and they don't perform" I'd agree with him. What does anyone seriously imagine a different manager would achieve with the same group of players?

This is the problem. Calderwood has cleared out Yogi`s duff squad and replaced them with an even poorer squad. Any manager coming in now would face an impossible task. We are in big trouble.

Franck Stanton
11-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Not a dig at you mate, but as for keeping a clean sheet, IMO that was down to them being as bad as us, if we had been playing a good team, like say.....Ayr Unt and put in that performance then we would have been well beat. I genuinly despair for the Club just now, they are possibly the worst set of players [ and I use the term players loosley] to ever wear the green. Truly depressing times.

Stevie Reid
11-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Totally agree - Hanlon was actually quite good today but O'Hanlon was a bombscare at times, in the second half especially; had really high hopes for him too. Clean sheet came from Aberdeen not being good enough to punish us, better teams than them will capitalise, and our next 3 games are against teams who seem to be better than them.

No idea what CC was talking about - we are hopeless in every department, and there are no signs of anything improving. Decent players on paper producing crap performances every week points at the manager not being good enough. God knows what we do in training every week.

Only "entertainment" today came from Stack's moments of madness and Martin Scott conceding a corner whilst facing the opposite direction on the halfway line. We are hopeless, and we're not getting any better.

I must add that I find his comments irritating to say the least - I asked this in another thread a few weeks ago, but do Calderwood's brutally honest comments about how crap we are make anyone feel any better than when Mixu told us we were great and created loads of chances, or when Yogi told us that the players had given their all? Not me.

EK_Hibs
11-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I've stopped listening to Calderwoods post match comments and do you know why?
.....Because 9 out of 10 times he makes little sense and kind of annoys me to be honest.

Craig_in_Prague
11-09-2011, 06:56 PM
We honestly could not be any worse than we are.
What we 'witness' now is really depressing stuff, i was not surprised to see the empty stands, it's gonna get just worse.

We had a clean sheet but hardly through great defending!...... it was against a side just as short on confidence as us...... yet we still looked dodgy and although our midfield didn't have a mare, there's not enough link up play going on and very little creativity. It seems we're subject to opportunist goals from GOC, a bit like we were before, but it was Deeks we relied on.

So a defence who's too slow, looks uneasy and a midfield that doesn't create, I cannot see us getting any better and we're in for a truely horrific season.

Captain Trips
11-09-2011, 06:58 PM
CC it appears lacks any inspration before, during and after match judging ny results. Time to go with the folk whom hired him before this gets any worse if thats possible.

3pm
11-09-2011, 07:12 PM

Stevie, what makes you say that about O'Hanlon? I can't make up my mind. He seems to be more vocal but I am not sure he has imposed himself yet.

SurferRosa
11-09-2011, 07:18 PM
This is the problem. Calderwood has cleared out Yogi`s duff squad and replaced them with an even poorer squad. Any manager coming in now would face an impossible task. We are in big trouble.

Unfortunately, and I take nae pleasure in it, but I completely agree wi this.........Yogis has been replaced with Colins

We are, I agree, in big trouble......:brickwall

Gala Foxes
11-09-2011, 07:28 PM
O'Hanlon is passable in the air but lacks pace (skinned in the incident that led to Stack doing a diving header).

His passing , in particular to Towell, sorry change that to meant to be to Towell but either way behind him or way in front of him, was woeful

Stevie Reid
11-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Stevie, what makes you say that about O'Hanlon? I can't make up my mind. He seems to be more vocal but I am not sure he has imposed himself yet.

It's obvious that he can't afford to allow himself to be turned and have to face his own goal, yet in the second half there were at least 3 occasions where he let balls bounce or failed to cut them out and put himself and the team under severe pressure - Stack's crazy header developed from one of them.

He is awful with the ball at his feet, but as he is a defender, I can handle that if he can do the basics of defending. I was impressed with him after the Celtic game, but he was poor today, and I worry what better teams will do to us.

He could easily have been sent off in the first half too, though as he got away with a booking, it can be classed as a good foul.

sahib
11-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Unfortunately, and I take nae pleasure in it, but I completely agree wi this.........Yogis , has been replaced with Colins
We are, I agree, in big trouble......:brickwall

Where we operate in the food chain, the probability of signing poor quality is pretty high. I suspected this might happen.
That said, it could be worse and I am hopeful if he gets the right team on the park then we will do alright.

sesoim
11-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Where we operate in the food chain, the probability of signing poor quality is pretty high. I suspected this might happen.
That said, it could be worse and I am hopeful if he gets the right team on the park then we will do alright.

True, but we are still signing higher paid players than two thirds of the SPL. So why are we bottom?

EK_Hibs
11-09-2011, 09:07 PM
True, but we are still signing higher paid players than two thirds of the SPL. So why are we bottom?

Because we have a truly inspiring manager who comes out with gems like:

"It was dreadful on occasions and at other times it was a lot worse than that."
"It's like watching tv and the tv isnt working properly."

sparkiedelpaco7
11-09-2011, 09:50 PM
If he could see that the play was dreadful then why didnt he:-

change the tactics
change the formation
use his subs earlier
spend the whole game on the touchline screaming at his players

BEEJ
11-09-2011, 09:56 PM

With Chick Young chuckling away at how crap the game was, these were not the best one liners to come out with.

As ever ten out of ten for honesty - but this post match interview needed a more robust response and the little BBC creep ought to have been put in his place.

nortonhibby
11-09-2011, 10:16 PM

He wil beat the Duffsters record he has already beaten THE SAUZEES:confused:

Northernhibee
11-09-2011, 10:27 PM
What concerns me is that the mistakes made on the pitch aren't from the team going hell for leather to get results or to get back into games, it's mostly from lack of concentration.

It's almost as if the team don't fear going into the dressing room after a poor performance - like in the Killie game, we just gave up the ghost when it mattered, and CC's post match press conference didn't inspire me - if it came down to believing that he either accepted the result or went through the team like a dose of salts, it'd be the former.

CC should be visibly pissed off in the press conferences after these games, it's a short length of time after the match has finished - he seems to be wallowing in self pity as opposed to reprimanding shocking performances.

Never thought I'd say this - I'd welcome Jefferies or the Tango man at the club right now as I'd expect they wouldn't put up with the performances of late.

matty_f
11-09-2011, 10:54 PM
O'Hanlon is passable in the air but lacks pace (skinned in the incident that led to Stack doing a diving header).

His passing , in particular to Towell, sorry change that to meant to be to Towell but either way behind him or way in front of him, was woeful

He really is slow :agree:, there was one moment in the second half where he was clear favourite to get to the ball, which was heading out on the East Stand side. Both the Aberdeen player and Richie Towell hared past him to get to it. He looked like he was going backwards!

I would say, though, that I think he is a good defender in that he'll generally get his head/foot/body in the way, and considering he's not the tallest he wins his fair share of headers on account of his positioning, timing, and strength.

Cropley10
12-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Our defence is terrible, still plenty of silly mistakes - luckily they didn't lead to any goals for Eberdeen.

I cant recall watching a game where the ball spent so much time in the air and so little time on the deck.

JimBHibees
12-09-2011, 10:53 AM
It's obvious that he can't afford to allow himself to be turned and have to face his own goal, yet in the second half there were at least 3 occasions where he let balls bounce or failed to cut them out and put himself and the team under severe pressure - Stack's crazy header developed from one of them.

He is awful with the ball at his feet, but as he is a defender, I can handle that if he can do the basics of defending. I was impressed with him after the Celtic game, but he was poor today, and I worry what better teams will do to us.

He could easily have been sent off in the first half too, though as he got away with a booking, it can be classed as a good foul.

Didnt think he was as bad as you are making out. Thought he won alot of headers in the air and was quite commanding. He isnt quick that is for sure however dont think his distribution was too bad. Given he hasnt played alot I think he will get better with games and understanding with the other defenders.

Stevie Reid
12-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Didnt think he was as bad as you are making out. Thought he won alot of headers in the air and was quite commanding. He isnt quick that is for sure however dont think his distribution was too bad. Given he hasnt played alot I think he will get better with games and understanding with the other defenders.

Fair enough. I don't like being so down on one of our players, but given that we were hoping that he would come in and help Hanlon develop, it was Hanlon who had to bail him out several times against an attack that hasn't scored in 6 out of 7 SPL games. I thought his distribution was really bad, and given that he seems to only be an out and out stopper, I thought he didn't even look that capable of doing that particularly well (though I did think the opposite before he got injured in the Celtic game). I would expect any centre half in the SPL to win a lot of headers though.

I obviously hope that he goes on and improves considerably over the next few weeks, but at the moment he just seems like yet another signing that I had high hopes for who isn't going to perform at the level hoped/expected. Got the same feeling from Osbourne yesterday too.

Who knows though? Michael O'Neill had a very slow start to his Hibs career and he became one of the best players I've ever seen play for Hibs.

Jim44
12-09-2011, 12:47 PM
His time is up -we are easy to beat now and fans are staying away from his brand of football in droves.

he'll still take his wages though.

Double training sessions, no days off until we start winning thats what he should be doing

God hibs hack me off

Too true he'll take his wages ............. He's simply doing the job for which the board gave him a massive vote (£300000 worth if the rumours are correct) of confidence. They are the ones who should be the focus of tbe supporters' anger and frustration. I've got past the stage of blaming Calderwood who will carry on in his useless and aimless fashion till we are in an inescapable position. He more or less said he wanted away but the clowns who run the club failed to see and grasp the opportunity that lay on a plate in front of them. Not only has the team settled effortlessly into the worst in the SPL, but our board has displayed an unbelievable ability to miss or ignore the calamity which was evolving in front of their eyes and for which they expect Joe Public to stump up £25 for the priviledge of witnessing week in week out.

Stevie Reid
12-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Incidentally, can anyone imagine what this place would've been like last year had Yogi come out and said "I'm really enjoying what the players are going through right now"?!

Andy74
12-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Incidentally, can anyone imagine what this place would've been like last year had Yogi come out and said "I'm really enjoying what the players are going through right now"?!

That was the line I thought I heard on the radio.

No idea what he means with that one.

I did like Chic Young reminding maybe Craig Brown that you could pick 11 fans and get commitment and passion but that wouldn't make a decent football team.

Stevie Reid
12-09-2011, 03:40 PM
That was the line I thought I heard on the radio.

No idea what he means with that one.

I did like Chic Young reminding maybe Craig Brown that you could pick 11 fans and get commitment and passion but that wouldn't make a decent football team.

Ha, didn't hear that one. CC's interview was enough.

SanFranHibs
12-09-2011, 04:03 PM

The TV is not working properly.

Someone tell him, this time he can adjust the set !

Andy74
12-09-2011, 04:08 PM
The TV is not working properly.

Someone tell him, this time he can adjust the set !

Yeah, it is a bit like a TV engineer telling you that it's frustrating watching the TV when it isn't working properly.

Particularly if he also built the thing.