PDA

View Full Version : The worst game youve ever attended?

hibsbollah
11-09-2011, 04:19 PM
That was mine. Anyone think of any worse?

Nando™
11-09-2011, 04:24 PM
In terms of both teams offering nothing, then aye that was probably it.

Supraninja
11-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I've seen worse football, but that was the worst game I've attended due to sheer lack of entertainment. Very very boring.

Septimus
11-09-2011, 04:31 PM
In the Williamson era I attended an evening game against Dunfermline. It was every bit as hopeless as today's match.

Was that Mickey Weir assisting the Hibs commentator? He seemed to have real difficulty selecting a man of the match.

Bishop Hibee
11-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Ayr Utd 1-0 Hibs will be hard to beat. I was also at Hearts 5-1 Hibs, all the 4-0 tonkings by them and Rangers 7-0 Hibs.

At least we got a point today although it was a poor game between two teams destined for a relegation battle.

Broken Gnome
11-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Hibs-St Johnstone last year was worse. But not by much.

Beefster
11-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Dunno, to be honest. My expectations were rock bottom before the game (is it just me that finds going these days a complete chore?) so I wasn't too disappointed by the lack of basic footballing talent or teamwork on show.

O'Connor and Griffiths aside, I've yet to be enamoured by any of the summer signings.

GreenCastle
11-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Hibs v Aberdeen last year was pretty bad - when Hartley ran the show...again..

Bad times..

Sammy7nil
11-09-2011, 04:40 PM
I think OP means where both teams have been so poor
7 - 0 Rangers maybe means they were at least okay

CC's teams totally lack direction and it also appears ability :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
11-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Hibs v Aberdeen last year was pretty bad - when Hartley ran the show...again..

Bad times..

That was the game recently i thought was nearly as bad as todays. But at one point today i was considering stabbing myself with a blunt pencil inmy pocket just to alleviate the boredom.

HibeeEmma
11-09-2011, 04:45 PM
My worst game was one at Hamilton in winter 2009

Can't compare that to today's game as I wasn't there -luckily

Bobo
11-09-2011, 04:47 PM
The Livi cup final was a disgrace and you'll need to go a long way to find any worse IMO.

hibsbollah
11-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Its interesting that some forms of entertainment, notably jokes, films and TV, can get 'so bad theyre good' and enter into a new category, and you actually revel in the pishness, find it amusing and enjoy it.

Watching Hibs doesnt work like that, unfortunately.

fatbloke
11-09-2011, 05:17 PM
BBC alba on in living room. I am in the kitchen ironing. sums it up for me. Ironing is more relaxing and rewarding than watching. Jeezo what the **** has happened to me.

sahib
11-09-2011, 05:18 PM
That was mine. Anyone think of any worse?

The draw with St Johnstone last season-the one with the Cypriot refs- but only because the weather was a lot nicer today.:greengrin
I must have attended worse matches than these but the memory has faded. I had a sore head by halftime and have been mildly depressed since full time. Also in the old days there would have been more banter in the stand. There always seemed to be some wag who would come away with one or two cracks.

ancient hibee
11-09-2011, 05:19 PM
You couldn't have got a decent team from the 28 players.One of these teams will get relegated-probably us.

StevieC
11-09-2011, 05:42 PM
FFS, do supporters think we're playing in La Liga?
This is the SPL and that was typical SPL football.
I've seen dozens of games, if not more, a lot worse than that.

vanNISHtelroy
11-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Killie V Gretna at Rugby Park.

Think that was the one where JJ played Locke and Leven as the fullbacks :confused:

tamig
11-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Hibs-St Johnstone last year was worse. But not by much.

I've been to plenty worse than that today although the St J game with the Maltese ref has to be right up there. A baltic day and nothing of any note happened. At least there were a few chances created today but GO'C must have left his shooting boots at home.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Away against St Johnstone last year in the utterly clueless 2-0 defeat was as bad. For me, much was was the 1-1 away to St Mirren when Tommy Craig was in charge after Collins left. The only way it connected to football was that there was a ball and feet were used.

greenlex
11-09-2011, 06:03 PM
:agree:

MrSmith
11-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Wasn't there today but the worst game I can recall is when Falkirk beat us 1-0 at home. Think it was late 80's, Kano lost the ball in midfield only for them to run up field and score! Nothing from us after that or before actually!!

Also remember rushing to get back from up north to take in a Hibs v Dundee game, again i the 80's. I got there about 30 mins after kickoff to meet fans coming out in their droves with someone stopping to advise me against going in as it was already 4-0 to Dundee.

Alfred E Newman
11-09-2011, 06:18 PM

Rubbish. There is a much better quality of football in the league but that was relegation standard football from two of the worst teams in the league.

hibsbollah
11-09-2011, 06:22 PM

Yes, that must be it, im confusing the two leagues. Thanks for pointing that out, it was clearly top notch entertainment today.

Hibs Class
11-09-2011, 06:22 PM
I'd put the Hibs Dunfermline semi replay as worse than today's. And several others that I've forgotten about. Both sides had chances today, some dodgy goalkeeping at both ends and also some decent saves. I've certainly seen worse games.

joe breezy
11-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Getting beat is worse from a fans point of view, perhaps today was one of the worst for neutrals

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.625518,0.040863

ekhibee
11-09-2011, 06:47 PM
worse game I've seen was actually Hibs v Dundee when Stainrod was player/manager of Dundee, that was a truly dreadful game, the game today looked world class in comparison.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Hibs v Dunfermline the Sunday after we beat Rangers at Hampden on penalties.
Either that or Watford 0 West Ham 0 the day England won the Rugby World Cup - crap game, pouring with rain and The Hammers let me down on the coupon.

StevieC
11-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Yes, that must be it, im confusing the two leagues.

You're certainly getting confused somewhere down the line if you think that was the worst Hibs game ever .. unless it was your first Hibs game?

:dunno:

hibsbollah
11-09-2011, 07:11 PM
You're certainly getting confused somewhere down the line if you think that was the worst Hibs game ever .. unless it was your first Hibs game?

Ive attended loads of terrible games in my time, quite a few mentioned already on this thread, but there was just something about todays insipid, lifeless, inability to string together more than 3 passes, disinterested display which took it to a new low. The ref was terrible, the opposition were equally as bad, the attendance was embarassing and the noise was nonexistent. Its the furst time i can ever remember feeling sirry i have a season ticket. Did you think it was an enjoyable 90 mins?

Have you got any examples of a worse game and why, which was after all the OP?

lapsedhibee
11-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Wasn't there today but the worst game I can recall is when Falkirk beat us 1-0 at home. Think it was late 80's, Kano lost the ball in midfield only for them to run up field and score! Nothing from us after that or before actually!!

Bit harsh to say that there's been nothing from us since the late 80s.

My worst game was Hibs 1 Arbroath 2, SC, 1977 (http://www.relichtie.plus.com/memorable_matches%20no%2014.htm).
Team that day:McDonald, Brownlie, Schaedler, Bremner, Stewart, Blackley, Edwards, McLeod, Smith, Muir, Duncan.

macd123
11-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I was going to take my son to his first ever Hibs game today. Luckily he vomited 10 minutes before we were meant to leave and he had to stay at home.

Kaiser1962
11-09-2011, 07:27 PM

:agree:

A dark wet cold Wednesday night about October/November 1980 at Kilbowie after we'd been relegated for the first time in our history. A crowd of about 1000 watched Hibs get pumped 2-0 by Dumbarton and both sides were total crap. Today resembled Barca-Madrid (to keep the la liga theme) by comparison. There have been lots of similar between then and now but, while we are certainly not good enough, it's far from being the worst game ever. Hang around, if you can be arsed that is, it's Hibs and it's the way we do things.

SaulGoodman
11-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Decided to avoid the game and go for a day out Golfing with a Carvery afterwards. Best decision this year.

MrSmith
11-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Bit harsh to say that there's been nothing from us since the late 80s.

My worst game was Hibs 1 Arbroath 2, SC, 1977 (http://www.relichtie.plus.com/memorable_matches%20no%2014.htm).
Team that day:McDonald, Brownlie, Schaedler, Bremner, Stewart, Blackley, Edwards, McLeod, Smith, Muir, Duncan.

It was meant to be in that particular game only.

FranckSuzy
11-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Hibs 0-1 Stranraer takes some beating since it was our opening game in the first division :rolleyes:

fat freddy
11-09-2011, 07:52 PM
the two worst have to be the semi final defeats to ayr utd and dunfermline....the ayr game was particulary depressing as three old boys, yogi, pat mcginlay and lovering dominated the game for ayr and we had to watch hurtardo lumbering about like a bear on ice skates...the dunfermline semi induced a state of apathy i've never recovered from due to our utter inability to compete...at least today our midfielders battled and won their fair share of 50/50 balls...it really wasn't as bad as it could have been and a definite improvement on the st. mirren game.

West Upper
11-09-2011, 07:58 PM
St Johnstone at Easter Road last year with the maltese ref is the worse and coldest game i have ever been to.

Bishop Hibee
11-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Worst ever as in devoid of anything of note by either side has to be a cracker on 27/4/91, 0-0 away to St Johnstone. The only reason I remember it is that nothing happened. Zilch, nada, zero.

Todays game was a footballing feast in comparison.

JimBHibees
11-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Actually thought today was ok not staggering but an improvement. Thought Osbourne looked fitter and had a decent game before running out of steam after an hour or so, Palsson next to him was better also. O'Hanlon had a solid game IMO and only thing was a finishing touch, Garry O on another day would have had a couple. A step at a time I think. A few games coming up which we should get better in with improved fitness, sharpness.

sesoim
11-09-2011, 08:26 PM
I can remember a few games similar to this, eg 0-0 against Falkirk when Hughes was in charge, 1-1 against Dunfermline (which was Sauzee's last game in charge).

No manager survives for long at Hibs when we are playing this bad.

sahib
11-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Ive attended loads of terrible games in my time, quite a few mentioned already on this thread, but there was just something about todays insipid, lifeless, inability to string together more than 3 passes, disinterested display which took it to a new low. The ref was terrible, the opposition were equally as bad, the attendance was embarassing and the noise was nonexistent. Its the furst time i can ever remember feeling sirry i have a season ticket. Did you think it was an enjoyable 90 mins?

Have you got any examples of a worse game and why, which was after all the OP?

These things are always subjective, but I can see where you are coming from. The whole match day experience was poor.

Alfred E Newman
11-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Actually thought today was ok not staggering but an improvement. Thought Osbourne looked fitter and had a decent game before running out of steam after an hour or so, Palsson next to him was better also. O'Hanlon had a solid game IMO and only thing was a finishing touch, Garry O on another day would have had a couple. A step at a time I think. A few games coming up which we should get better in with improved fitness, sharpness.

Another eternal optimist. There will be fewer easier games coming up than the one we had today against a dire Aberdeen side. We were totally devoid of any shape, tactics, pace, passion or anything else to enthuse about .

LancashireHibby
11-09-2011, 09:34 PM
The Livi cup final was a disgrace and you'll need to go a long way to find any worse IMO.

I think that's because there was an expectation for us to win, and win handsomely to be fair. We froze on the day and simply didn't turn up, and Livi did well to take advantage. Today was just utter dross from both sides.

magpie1892
11-09-2011, 09:38 PM

I've seen worse Hibs performances, albeit only a few and not by much, but overall, with AFC as bad as they were, that game was an absolute stinker when we consider the supposed calibre of the players on display.

Really, really bad. Embarrassingly bad and... people simply will not pay £22 for that *****.

And you're kidding on if you think 8,972 were in the ground today. Not a chance, no way.

FitbaFolkKen
11-09-2011, 10:56 PM
The worst game I can remember is when Ayr beat us in the semi in 2002. Extra time penalty, nit only was it a terrible result, it was a terrible flat game and made worse by Mcginlay and Hughes being on the other team.

Dreadful all round!

SteveHFC
11-09-2011, 11:21 PM
The worst game I can remember is when Ayr beat us in the semi in 2002. Extra time penalty, nit only was it a terrible result, it was a terrible flat game and made worse by Mcginlay and Hughes being on the other team.

Dreadful all round!

This :agree:

Sir David Gray
11-09-2011, 11:53 PM
The St Johnstone match was worse than the match yesterday.

It was bad though, there's no getting away from it. Both teams looked as if they had both been instructed by their managers not to lose that game yesterday, as opposed to going out and winning it.

I expect Hibs and Aberdeen to both be fighting relegation this season and I don't think we'll see many sides at Easter Road that are poorer than that Aberdeen side.

we are hibs
12-09-2011, 06:52 AM
i thought it was awful and i think we should put out some off the younger players that done well vs sunderland because i would rather get beat with players trying than players who dont give a ****

marinello59
12-09-2011, 07:17 AM
i thought it was awful and i think we should put out some off the younger players that done well vs sunderland because i would rather get beat with players trying than players who dont give a ****

The players were trying alright. it was more a case of they didn't know what to do. There is no point in changing the cast list if they still have the same Director.

grantonhibee
12-09-2011, 07:48 AM
deffo , was unreal griffiths the only player who looked interested when he came on , and who gives the man of the match awards ? scott ?? he was dire also

JimBHibees
12-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Another eternal optimist. There will be fewer easier games coming up than the one we had today against a dire Aberdeen side. We were totally devoid of any shape, tactics, pace, passion or anything else to enthuse about .

Not an eternal optimist but a clean sheet, O'Hanlon and Osbourne doing better, Palsson where he should be, Booth rested, Scott getting a game were reasonable positives. I thought O'Connor on a sharp day would have scored at least one. Think Ivan and Agogo didnt contribute much.

Also dont think Aberdeen are that bad to be honest and dont think they will be anywhere near relegation candidates..

hibsbollah
12-09-2011, 09:08 AM
The players were trying alright. it was more a case of they didn't know what to do. There is no point in changing the cast list if they still have the same Director.I agree to an extent. But i was also thinking yesterday that players from the recent past that were considered average or limited by some on here (Jones, Bamba, Hogg (maybe), Benji, Zemmama, Riordan, Stokes et al) would absolutely stroll into yesterdays team and improve it massively.Calderwood is proving a very poor manager. But we also are very very short of quality players, even by our recent standards.

Liberal Hibby
12-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Hibs v Meadowbank Thistle in the league cup, early 80s, Easter Road. Arthur Duncan made his debut for Thistle (I think). Score 0-1, Hibs never looked like scoring and as a result it's the only game I ever left early when Thistle scored.

Made worse by Eddie Turnbull's bar's windows being bricked with me and my consoling pint inside.

Hillsidehibby
12-09-2011, 10:27 AM
I cannot remember the exact game but I have climbed over the wall to get OUT of ER.

Stevie Reid
12-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Today wasn't the worst I had seen but there can't have been too many more - for people to imply that there have been games that make that one look good is rather insulting IMO.

Of all the ones mentioned here, I think the St. Johnstone 0-0 from last November was worse than yesterday.