PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Griffiths

magnificent_seven
11-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Looked excellent when he came on. Only real positive from today, though Scott looked decent and Osbourne was OK but everything else was dire. One of the worst games of football I have ever seen.

random sub
11-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Looked excellent when he came on. Only real positive from today, though Scott looked decent and Osbourne was OK but everything else was dire. One of the worst games of football I have ever seen.

Bit depressing that the only Hibs player to get pass marks is a loan player!

Cropley10
11-09-2011, 04:43 PM

Why on earth was he not on from the start, Agogo was mostly invisible...

Septimus
11-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Stack had very little to do but what he did was done with competence.

The defence did not concede a goal which is probably a positive as nobody in green really looked like scoring. I thought Scott tried hard but faded. Griffiths looked good for a few moments after he came on.

End of story.

Many years ago I had a friend who supported Stirling Albion. That was the time when they were up and down from First to Second division. I am beginning to know how he must have felt.

mutley
11-09-2011, 04:51 PM
I agree, Stack saved us a couple of times, and Leigh Griffiths should have been on from the start, he showed some flare that the rest of the team ate lacking. I lost count of how many balls were missed today.

Hainan Hibs
11-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Before all the Stack is god comments flood in what the **** that header out the box was I do not know.

Duffys13
11-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Bit depressing that the only Hibs player to get pass marks is a loan player!

Osbourne got pass marks from me, thought he had his best game. Looks like he is getting Match Fit and think there is better to come from him yet.

hibsbollah
11-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Osbourne got pass marks from me, thought he had his best game. Looks like he is getting Match Fit and think there is better to come from him yet.

I agree, i like Osborne. Scott, Sproule and Murray were particularly woeful today.

Thecat23
11-09-2011, 05:11 PM
It's crazy that a EPL player on loan can't get a start in front of Agogo. Sorry but Sodje should even start in front of him. He offers nothing at all and Griffiths when he came on looked like he could do something.

givescotlandfreedom
11-09-2011, 05:11 PM
I agree, i like Osborne. Scott, Sproule and Murray were particularly woeful today.

I thought Scott played well :confused:

offshorehibby
11-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Before all the Stack is god comments flood in what the **** that header out the box was I do not know.

The commentary team on the radio reckoned he thought it was a pass back

Albion Hibs
11-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Leigh Griffiths, OP where did you go for your 10 pints before the game!! He looked okay, if he had any more that a dozen touches of the ball I would be amazed. I would also say that there is no doubt that when he came on Aberdeen had a lot more of the ball and we were under much more pressure.

Golden Bear
11-09-2011, 05:15 PM

:agree:

He did.

ancient hibee
11-09-2011, 05:15 PM
The commentary team on the radio reckoned he thought it was a pass back

That's because it was a passback.

If that's Junior Agogo I'd hate to see Senior Agogo.

john18722
11-09-2011, 05:17 PM

Honestly? I thought he looked awful. He is so slow and given his size very weak in the challenge.

LaMotta
11-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Honestly? I thought he looked awful. He is so slow and given his size very weak in the challenge.

Agreed - thought Osbourne was terrible. Couldn't believe it when he shat out the challenge with his brother.

Duffys13
11-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Aye seriously, thought he was ok today. He broke up a lot of their play at times, I think there's a football brain in there somewhere too.

Dirkster23
11-09-2011, 05:37 PM

He did :agree: a couple of bad passes but put himself about and had a couple of decent shots.

MountcastleHibs
11-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Before all the Stack is god comments flood in what the **** that header out the box was I do not know. It was a pass from O'Hanlon to Hanlon, that Hanlon left for some reason so Stack had to head to clear because he wasn't expecting the ball. It wasn't his fault - it was Hanlon's.

tamig
11-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Why on earth was he not on from the start, Agogo was mostly invisible...

Griffiths should start next week but disagree with your comments on Agogo. He won just about everything in the air and had some good knock downs and flick ons.

Andy74
11-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Agogo was terrible. Griffiths only had a few touches. One good cross.

frazeHFC
11-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Griffiths should start next week but disagree with your comments on Agogo. He won just about everything in the air and had some good knock downs and flick ons.I totally agree. :agree:

Sweep
11-09-2011, 05:56 PM

Haha I'm still laughing about that. :greengrin

scoopyboy
11-09-2011, 05:57 PM

IMO Stack was on another planet today.

In the first few minutes he allowed the ball to run out for a corner he could easily have prevented and his decision making thereafter was indifferent to say the least.

Broken Gnome
11-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Agogo was absolutely anonymous. Just like at Tynecastle.

Griffiths at least looks like he knows how to play football. That's a start.

greenlex
11-09-2011, 06:15 PM
You couldnt have watched the match I was at then. Scott was our MOTM and after a decent firstt half I forgot Ozzy was on the park second 45 until I saw him lying on the ground. I agree Sproule was poor and Murray was clearly carrying an injury until they finally gave up and put on Booth.

FitbaFolkKen
11-09-2011, 06:23 PM

In the first few minutes he allowed the ball to run out for a corner he could easily have prevented and his decision thereafter was indifferent to say the least.

Stack had a good double save at the end but I agree that some of his decisions and dealing with high balls were erratic at best.

Griffiths brought some much needed urgency to the team I thought, looks good although wasn't heavily involved.

Jonnyboy
11-09-2011, 06:36 PM

In the first few minutes he allowed the ball to run out for a corner he could easily have prevented and his decision making thereafter was indifferent to say the least.

Didn't look all that mobile J, you're right.

As this thread is about Griffiths does anyone know why he was faced up to by a Dons sub at the start of the break? Spoony had to split them up :confused:

hibsbollah
11-09-2011, 06:49 PM
You couldnt have watched the match I was at then. Scott was our MOTM and after a decent firstt half I forgot Ozzy was on the park second 45 until I saw him lying on the ground. I agree Sproule was poor and Murray was clearly carrying an injury until they finally gave up and put on Booth.

Scott being called MOM was greeted by laughter from all around me in the East so its not just me. He ran around, losing the ball regularly and generally just trying to play every position on the pitch whether he was needed there or not. And i normally quite like his energy.

Beefster
11-09-2011, 06:57 PM
I think calling Griffiths 'excellent' shows how ***** we are. He made one good cross and did nothing else.

The arguing over who was the best midfielder is like bald men fighting over a comb. I thought that they all looked like 'bottom of the league' players. Not one acceptable performance.

Stevie Reid
11-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Scott being called MOM was greeted by laughter from all around me in the East so its not just me. He ran around, losing the ball regularly and generally just trying to play every position on the pitch whether he was needed there or not. And i normally quite like his energy.

Correct. His performance being considered good shows just how bad we are - he was eager, and happy to have a go, but is completely devoid of any kind of technique or finesse to back up what he tries. Decent strike after a good chest down in the second half was his highlight, but how MOTM could be given to anyone who conceded THAT corner, and played the pass to no one in the 1st half when inside the penalty area is beyond me.

The reason Griffiths stood out so much despite not being involved very much is because he was eager, and showed desire along with some quality touches through having quick feet - not one other player could say that.

Osbourne looked okay but doesn't look like he'll ever be more than ok, Palsson doesn't do enough, Agogo looked terrible - I could go on but I don't want to depress myself any further. For Calderwood not to start Griffiths when we are so brutally devoid of pace was ridiculous, and he should have played him out wide instead of playing him through the middle.

Cropley10
11-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Correct. His performance being considered good shows just how bad we are - he was eager, and happy to have a go, but is completely devoid of any kind of technique or finesse to back up what he tries. Decent strike after a good chest down in the second half was his highlight, but how MOTM could be given to anyone who conceded THAT corner, and played the pass to no one in the 1st half when inside the penalty area is beyond me.

The reason Griffiths stood out so much despite not being involved very much is because he was eager, and showed desire along with some quality touches through having quick feet - not one other player could say that.

Osbourne looked okay but doesn't look like he'll ever be more than ok, Palsson doesn't do enough, Agogo looked terrible - I could go on but I don't want to depress myself any further. For Calderwood not to start Griffiths when we are so brutally devoid of pace was ridiculous, and he should have played him out wide instead of playing him through the middle.

Really? I thought Osbourne looks absolutely average. Made one decent pass all day and simply went through the motions. Agree about Agogo - did nothing, nothing whatsoever. Palsson by contrast looked far, far better than he has recently, at least he anticipates and can read the game.

Stevie Reid
11-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Really? I thought Osbourne looks absolutely average. Made one decent pass all day and simply went through the motions. Agree about Agogo - did nothing, nothing whatsoever. Palsson by contrast looked far, far better than he has recently, at least he anticipates and can read the game.

Are we not agreeing here?!

I agree that Palsson looked better than of late, but he is lazy and better midfields will dominate him.

Gala Foxes
11-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Why were Griffiths and Magennis squaring up to each other as they started their half time warm up ?

Agree Agogo was anonymous

sixtwo
11-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Sparky has loads of energy and looks like he is desperate to impress. He must start next week. His energy is infectios. He also offers us a decent option at set pieces. IMO we have not hit a decent free kick since deeks left. Booth and scott have tried but I think with sparky in the team he will be our dead ball expert.

Cropley10
11-09-2011, 07:58 PM

I agree that Palsson looked better than of late, but he is lazy and better midfields will dominate him.

There's more to come from Vic than Osbourne for sure.

I think it depends on calibration :greengrin - are OK and average the same? I thought Liam Miller was OK, and I'd rather have him back than IO.:greengrin

dp00
11-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Anyone know what happened with Leigh at half time ? Looked like her threw a punch a a dons sub :/

JimBHibees
11-09-2011, 08:27 PM
I think Osbourne has shown enough in the couple of games that he has been involved in to see he is only going to get better. Think his passing and touch is good and when he gets stronger he will IMO start to run the show in games. He hasnt had a pre-season and is trying to play catch up.

sesoim
11-09-2011, 09:11 PM

I though Scott was better than Osbourne. Osbourne looked slow and incapable of creating a fart never mind a chance. And having signed him from Aston Villa, I worry how much wages we are wasting on him.

Scott isn't great quality, but at least he showed some urgency and tried to test their goal. Most of our players don't actually look interested in trying to win a game. Whether that's down to CC's lack of motivational skills, or his inability to sign winners, I don't know, take your pick.

LancashireHibby
11-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Anyone notice (yet another) hoofed ball come down with snow on it and Griffiths trapped it superbly with one touch? It's that sort of quality that we're lacking. He managed to create a chance out of nothing when he turned his marker, showed he had much more pace than the Aberdeen defenders, so what did we do....stop giving him the ball!

On the topic of Osbourne, I thought his first touch was absolutely dreadful and his mobility pretty restricted, which isn't much good for anyone playing centre mid.

Stack had a decent enough game for me and made the right call on the header as, although I think a backpass would have been a harsh decision, it certainly wasn't worth the risk of picking it up.

sesoim
11-09-2011, 09:23 PM
I think calling Griffiths 'excellent' shows how ***** we are. He made one good cross and did nothing else.

The arguing over who was the best midfielder is like bald men fighting over a comb. I thought that they all looked like 'bottom of the league' players. Not one acceptable performance.

All true, sadly.

SteveHFC
11-09-2011, 11:18 PM
He should start on saturday against Dunfermline.

matty_f
11-09-2011, 11:25 PM
I thought Osbourne looked ok today as well, wasn't terrible that's for sure.Palsson is also much better suited to midfield than right back and he's better than Murray in midfield IMHO.

Griffiths should have been on from the start, Agogo was awful today.

EasterRoad4Ever
12-09-2011, 06:10 AM

Hiber-nation
12-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Teams who have 2 defensive midfielders like Palsson and Osbourne usually have 2 creative midfielders ahead of them, guys with a bit of skill that can pick a pass. We don't have anything resembling a creative midfielder Just looking again at Killie yesterday with the much-maligned on here Deano playing the attacking midfielder role to perfection again. Does this manager of ours just not get creativity? We have none.

Griffiths appears to be a good signing but he's going to have to create these goals himself.

Wilson
12-09-2011, 08:23 AM
You are correct. Unfortunately Griffiths could be a stand-out in our team because we are that bad.
I think calling Griffiths 'excellent' shows how ***** we are. He made one good cross and did nothing else.The arguing over who was the best midfielder is like bald men fighting over a comb. I thought that they all looked like 'bottom of the league' players. Not one acceptable performance.

Hibs_SW
12-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Why were Griffiths and Magennis squaring up to each other as they started their half time warm up ?

Agree Agogo was anonymous

I noticed this to with griffiths and magennis at half time looked a bit heated with others trying to pull them away! Anybody find out what happened!?

Scouse Hibee
12-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Agreed - thought Osbourne was terrible. Couldn't believe it when he shat out the challenge with his brother.

Osbourne was awful IMO his ungangly running and awakward movement made me think of Maka playing outfield! :greengrin

Stevie Reid
12-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Osbourne was awful IMO his ungangly running and awakward movement made me think of Maka playing outfield! :greengrin

Funnily enough, during the game yesterday I suggested that with his bandy legs and his looking uncomfortable with the ball at his feet, it was like having Jim Leighton in midfield.

All in jest of course. Ironically we also had a goalkeeper who would rather head the ball than catch it - strange times at ER.

Hibiza
12-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Yes he was good, hopefully be a permanent signing.

Elephant Stone
12-09-2011, 10:50 AM

I thought Osbourne looked like he might be a cause for some optimism on his debut but he's done virtually nothing, IMO.

Dashing Bob S
12-09-2011, 11:07 AM

Nonsense! Osbourne was mediocre.

I wonder what game you pair were watching.

Stevie Reid
12-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Nonsense! Osbourne was mediocre.

I wonder what game you pair were watching.

:greengrin

brydekirk
12-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Sparky has loads of energy and looks like he is desperate to impress. He must start next week. His energy is infectios. He also offers us a decent option at set pieces. IMO we have not hit a decent free kick since deeks left. Booth and scott have tried but I think with sparky in the team he will be our dead ball expert. agree about sparky's energy, but cc will pick agogo first every time.

scoopyboy
12-09-2011, 11:34 AM
If I was Mick McCarthy I would be telling Hibs that they loaned him to play football at a higher standard than he had played previously, not to sit on a bench watching the likes of Agogo and Sodje.

brydekirk
12-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Sparky has loads of energy and looks like he is desperate to impress. He must start next week. His energy is infectios. He also offers us a decent option at set pieces. IMO we have not hit a decent free kick since deeks left. Booth and scott have tried but I think with sparky in the team he will be our dead ball expert. agree about sparky's energy, but cc will pick agogo first every time.

Dinkydoo
12-09-2011, 11:43 AM
I thought he looked Ok when he came on but he didn't do much - which is probably only partially his fault as he was hardly given the ball.

Sodje should be starting week in week out for me - his goals to games ratio is better than anyone else's currently at the club (closest being O'Connor's).

I'd like to start Griffiths week in week out but I don't think it will do the club any good in the long term to depend on a loan signing who in all probability will not be here after January.

Agogo doesn't look very good at all in my opinion.

archiebald
12-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I thought he looked Ok when he came on but he didn't do much - which is probably only partially his fault as he was hardly given the ball.

Sodje should be starting week in week out for me - his goals to games ratio is better than anyone else's currently at the club (closest being O'Connor's).

I'd like to start Griffiths week in week out but I don't think it will do the club any good in the long term to depend on a loan signing who in all probability will not be here after January.

We need to make the most of Griffiths while he is at Easter Road he will score goals-Agogo was never in the game,O'Conner looked like he was elsewere (3 fresh air swings) Sproule never got going but was well watched

Golden Bear
12-09-2011, 01:33 PM

I totally agree. He's not the best striker in the world by any means but his performances to date more than merit a place in the Hibs team. He offers pace, power and enthusiasm as well as posing a goal threat.

monktonharp
13-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Scott being called MOM was greeted by laughter from all around me in the East so its not just me. He ran around, losing the ball regularly and generally just trying to play every position on the pitch whether he was needed there or not. And i normally quite like his energy.:agree:he was a bit of a heidless chicken, although I do like him, Griffiths looked initially as if he was going to make a difference but hardly got the ball, the centre backs have a couple of things in common...........similar second names, and both are bomb scares at various times throughout a match.