PDA

View Full Version : NHC Minute Silence

H18sry
11-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Will there be a minute's silence today in respect of all the people who lost there lives on this unfortunate day 10 years ago.

Antifa Hibs
11-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Hope not. Fail to see what significance a terrorist attack in American 10 years ago has to do with a fitba match in Leith today.

Albion Hibs
11-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Hope not. Fail to see what significance a terrorist attack in American 10 years ago has to do with a fitba match in Leith today.

Behave yourself. There were people from countries all over the world involved, in any event it is only human to show respect in the wake of such events.

heretoday
11-09-2011, 09:53 AM
It's about showing solidarity with our American cousins I suppose, whatever you think of that.

Debatably, of course, countless more innocent people have died as a result of military reaction to 9/11.

I don't see any silent minutes for them.

Antifa Hibs
11-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Behave yourself. There were people from countries all over the world involved, in any event it is only human to show respect in the wake of such events.

Let people grieve and pay their respects on their own, personally don't see why it has to be done at a football match.

If we do have a minutes silence today, i'll look forward to the one next where we remember the hundreds of thousands of innocent lives that have been lost at the hands of the Americans/Coalation forces since that unfortunate day.

Hibrandenburg
11-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Maybe a diplomatic minutes silence for the event that changed the world and all the people who have suffered because of it.

Albion Hibs
11-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Let people grieve and pay their respects on their own, personally don't see why it has to be done at a football match.

If we do have a minutes silence today, i'll look forward to the one next where we remember the hundreds of thousands of innocent lives that have been lost at the hands of the Americans/Coalation forces since that unfortunate day.

What the hundreds of thousands of lives that have been lost in the wake of this country and others try to protect us from similar terorist events. If you think paying respect should be confined to those that are directly affected then you are kidding yourself. I am more than happy to be paying respect to those that lost there lives 10 years ago, at the same time we are of course showing support to those still out there fighting, rather than letting it pass by because we are at a football game in leith.

Jack
11-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Let people grieve and pay their respects on their own, personally don't see why it has to be done at a football match.If we do have a minutes silence today, i'll look forward to the one next where we remember the hundreds of thousands of innocent lives that have been lost at the hands of the Americans/Coalation forces since that unfortunate day. It's at times like this I wonder if Tokyo Rose and Lord Haw Haw had children.Its unrealistic to think there are not loads of Hibbies affected either directly or indirectly by the events of 10 years ago.

Antifa Hibs
11-09-2011, 10:07 AM
What the hundreds of thousands of lives that have been lost in the wake of this country and others try to protect us from similar terorist events. If you think paying respect should be confined to those that are directly affected then you are kidding yourself. I am more than happy to be paying respect to those that lost there lives 10 years ago, at the same time we are of course showing support to those still out there fighting, rather than letting it pass by because we are at a football game in leith.

You should've said squire. In that case then women and children getting murdered is off course well worth it if they are looking for a few bad guys. :agree:

And they're not protecting me. I felt just as safe in 2001 as I do just now.

Mikey
11-09-2011, 10:14 AM
How long until this one ends up in the Holy Ground :greengrin

Keith_M
11-09-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate here so at least hear me out. Before I write the rest of this, can I just state that I do think the bombings were a terrible thing and it must have been both dreadful to go through the event and for the families as well.

Say we decide to hold a minute's silence for the direct victims of the WTC bombings, what other events should we also hold a minute's silence for? Did we have one for the Japanese Tsunami? For the victims in Iraq/Afghanistan that have died in the last ten years as retribution for the American dead? Do we have a daily minute's silence for the children who die of malnutrition?

Six million children die of hunger every year.

No you didn't read that wrong, 6,000,000 children every year, that's 16,438 children on average every day. Or, in perspective, roughly six times as many as those that died in the Twin Towers. Are their lives worth less than those who died in the bombing in Manhattan? If not, where's their minute's silence?

I really am with Antifa on this. We should really restrict minute's silences to those directly related to our club/football. Otherwise, where do we stop?

Hainan Hibs
11-09-2011, 10:15 AM
If we have one for this one will we have a minutes silence for terrorist attacks carried out around the world? Or just the ones that happen in the USA?

Hibrandenburg
11-09-2011, 10:16 AM
You should've said squire. In that case then women and children getting murdered is off course well worth it if they are looking for a few bad guys. :agree:

Wrong! Your probably much safer today ranting pish behind your keyboard than you were back in 2001. However this has more to do with improvements in firewall protection than those dreadful events.

Cabbage East
11-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Protect us from terrorist events? Good one pal.

Albion Hibs
11-09-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate here so at least hear me out. Before I write the rest of this, can I just state that I do think the bombings were a terrible thing and it must have been both dreadful to go through the event and for the families as well.

Say we decide to hold a minute's silence for the direct victims of the WTC bombings, what other events should we also hold a minute's silence for? Did we have one for the Japanese Tsunami? For the victims in Iraq/Afghanistan that have died in the last ten years as retribution for the American dead? Do we have a daily minute's silence for the children who die of malnutrition?

Six million children die of hunger every year.

No you didn't read that wrong, 6,000,000 children every year, that's 16,438 children on average every day. Or, in perspective, roughly six times as many as those that died in the Twin Towers. Are their lives worth less than those who died in the bombing in Manhattan? If not, where's their minute's silence?

I really am with Antifa on this. We should really restrict minute's silences to those directly related to our club/football. Otherwise, where do we stop?

I dont think any minutes silence today is restricted to just the people that died 10 years ago and I am sure that any address to the public will also include those from all sides that have died since. With regards to the other matters you have noted, I think that there was a minutes silence following the tsunami and I have no doubt that there will be one on the anniversary, and rightly so.

Acts of war are frequently marked with such respect being paid, what happened on 9/11 was certainly the most historic and significant event of my life time and has changed the world since. I would be most disappointed if we did not pay our respects down easter road today, and I hope that we will be. To take one minute out of our day today is no sacrifice.

CropleyWasGod
11-09-2011, 10:36 AM
I dont think any minutes silence today is restricted to just the people that died 10 years ago and I am sure that any address to the public will also include those from all sides that have died since. With regards to the other matters you have noted, I think that there was a minutes silence following the tsunami and I have no doubt that there will be one on the anniversary, and rightly so.

Acts of war are frequently marked with such respect being paid, what happened on 9/11 was certainly the most historic and significant event of my life time and has changed the world since. I would be most disappointed if we did not pay our respects down easter road today, and I hope that we will be. To take one minute out of our day today is no sacrifice.

So where do you draw the line? Hurricane Katrina, the London bombings, the Dresden fire-bombings, Hiroshima, Bali, Bhopal, the Holocaust, the Christchurch earthquake, to name but a few. Some man-made, some not.

Keith_M
11-09-2011, 10:46 AM
So where do you draw the line? Hurricane Katrina, the London bombings, the Dresden fire-bombings, Hiroshima, Bali, Bhopal, the Holocaust, the Christchurch earthquake, to name but a few. Some man-made, some not.

:agree:

Betty Boop
11-09-2011, 10:52 AM
It's at times like this I wonder if Tokyo Rose and Lord Haw Haw had children.Its unrealistic to think there are not loads of Hibbies affected either directly or indirectly by the events of 10 years ago.

A bit over the top Jack ? Deary me ! :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
11-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Why draw the line? If you're fellow Hibbies feel the need to express their respect for whatever reason, then surely it's not too much to give them that minute to do so.
If you really object to the nature of the event then simply stay in the pub a minute longer. Jeez, you'd think you were being asked to dip your hands in your pockets.

Monts
11-09-2011, 11:08 AM
The minutes silence on armistice day is a silence to remember all those who have died in all wars, including the fighting since 9/11.

Dashing Bob S
11-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm still upset that the Hibs-AEK game was canceled. Should never have happened - American/Arab politics of oil, greed and religious fanaticism should have nothing to do with people trying to enjoy a football match in Europe.

As for a minutes silence today - you're having a laugh. I think we've had more than enough of this b-s in the media over the last week (and indeed the last ten years) of salivating pointyheids wittering on the usual guff about how the world was changed forever, etc etc. Let's just give it a rest for 90 minutes. We've enough depressing rubbish of our own to be going on with: it's Calderwood's Hibs versus Paw's A'deen. We certainly don't need to import any American media-fest misery to compound it.

NYHibby
11-09-2011, 11:18 AM
It's a good thing we don't have anyone from New York or the DC area that posts here ...

Jack
11-09-2011, 11:19 AM
A bit over the top Jack ? Deary me ! :greengrin I don't think so. While I respect the views of the anti war brigade I think constantly spreading those views on threads like this are about as welcome as those two would be at VE and VJ parties.

Gerard
11-09-2011, 11:26 AM
The day of 9/11 and the events that have taken place after this day continue to have a massive influence on our lives. To have 1 minutes silence; is not asking too much in my opinion

The Voice Of Reason
11-09-2011, 11:29 AM
The day of 9/11 and the events that have taken place after this day continue to have a massive influence on our lives. To have 1 minutes silence; is not asking too much in my opinion

I will second that sir :agree:

The Tubs
11-09-2011, 11:29 AM

So does the act of union but we don't need a minute's silence to remember that. It should be left in the past and far away from football matches.

Geo_1875
11-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Has it been announced that there will bw minutes silence before kick-off, giving those who disagree the chance to avoid it? Or will they have to show their disagreement by disrupting said minutes silence? Much prefer a round of applause myself.

Bishop Hibee
11-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Far too many minutes silences/applause at football games. No need for one today over 9/11.

Alfred E Newman
11-09-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't think so. While I respect the views of the anti war brigade I think constantly spreading those views on threads like this are about as welcome as those two would be at VE and VJ parties.

I agree. While the democratic society we are fortunate to live in gives them the right to spout their views, the predictable left wing anti British, anti American stuff these threads encourage from the usual suspects serves no useful purpose on a football messageboard.
For what its worth I don`t think a minutes silence is nessessary today and I would be surprised if there is one.

Beefster
11-09-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm still upset that the Hibs-AEK game was canceled. Should never have happened - American/Arab politics of oil, greed and religious fanaticism should have nothing to do with people trying to enjoy a football match in Europe.

As for a minutes silence today - you're having a laugh. I think we've had more than enough of this b-s in the media over the last week (and indeed the last ten years) of salivating pointyheids wittering on the usual guff about how the world was changed forever, etc etc. Let's just give it a rest for 90 minutes. We've enough depressing rubbish of our own to be going on with: it's Calderwood's Hibs versus Paw's A'deen. We certainly don't need to import any American media-fest misery to compound it.

You seem to be confusing the countless murders of innocent citizens with the [debatable] reasons why they were murdered.

I don't think we should hold a silence today (I'm sure we held one in the aftermath of 9/11) but **** sake, a bit of respect for the dead wouldn't go amiss.

Dashing Bob S
11-09-2011, 12:02 PM
You seem to be confusing the countless murders of innocent citizens with the [debatable] reasons why they were murdered.

I don't think we should hold a silence today (I'm sure we held one in the aftermath of 9/11) but **** sake, a bit of respect for the dead wouldn't go amiss.

Nobody in their right mind likes to see people incinerated in a burning tower. I feel though, that I've been giving my respect for this particular set of media-annointed dead for years and I'm getting heartily sick and angry about how this is piously paraded out for political ends again and and again.

Right. We get it.

Now let's shut the *uck up about it and maybe pay attention to the one or two other people who have also died in man-made atrocities during this time. But not at the football today.

Bishop Hibee
11-09-2011, 12:06 PM
I agree. While the democratic society we are fortunate to live in gives them the right to spout their views, the predictable left wing anti British, anti American stuff these threads encourage from the usual suspects serves no useful purpose on a football messageboard.
For what its worth I don`t think a minutes silence is nessessary today and I would be surprised if there is one.

What about the democratic society that allows the predictable right wing pro imperialist, anti any other view stuff from the usual suspects which serve no useful purpose on a football message board?

Hibs supporters range from the far left to the far right.

hibsbollah
11-09-2011, 12:11 PM
While its undoutedly a sad anniversary, it would be peculiar to have a minutes silence at a Hibs game for this. I cant recall a silence for, say, the 5th anniversary of the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami that killed 250,000.

And to those posts criticising this point of view for being leftwing anti-americanism or being disrespectful of the dead? Get a grip.

Hibrandenburg
11-09-2011, 12:11 PM

A bit of respect full stop would be welcome in todays society. Respect for others loss, belief, pain, property, efforts, needs and just plain respect would seem to be an uncool thing to do nowadays.

For what it's worth I do not feel a strong need for Hibs to hold a minutes silence today, however if there are a number of Hibbies who feel the need to do so then I for one will respect their wishes.

john18722
11-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I will second that sir :agree:

As will I

The Falcon
11-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Nobody in their right mind likes to see people incinerated in a burning tower. I feel though, that I've been giving my respect for this particular set of media-annointed dead for years and I'm getting heartily sick and angry about how this is piously paraded out for political ends again and and again.

Right. We get it.

Now let's shut the *uck up about it and maybe pay attention to the one or two other people who have also died in man-made atrocities during this time. But not at the football today.

Thats harsh Bob.

MoscowHibs
11-09-2011, 01:18 PM
I would have thought that if a minutes silence was to be held today it would be more appropriate to hold it for the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl ice hockey players who died in thon plane crash the other day.I know some folks who support them in Russia and I for one cannot imagine how I would feel if it happened to our first team squad. Only reason I say this is the sport angle, but I guess you cannot, sadly, have minutes silences for every untimely death out there.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-09-2011, 01:18 PM
If other sporting events around the world today are showing a mark of respect to these victims as a show of common decency I don't see a reason why we should not also. But if there is a minute silence, and it doesn't fit in with your own opinions, then please feel free to talk your way through it or even chant out loud.

HibeeMG
11-09-2011, 03:35 PM
I didn't even get half way down this thread before I had to stop reading.

I think quite a few people should have a f'in word with themselves and hang their heads in shame. To try to score some points trying to prove they have more worldly morals than the rest of us is shameful.

Do you remember the images from 10 years ago or were you so far up your own erse's that you didn't notice?

The OP simply asked if there was going to be a minute's silence. I've only just got in the door so I'm not sure if there actually was one. There definitely should have been.

Dashing Bob S
11-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I didn't even get half way down this thread before I had to stop reading.

I think quite a few people should have a f'in word with themselves and hang their heads in shame. To try to score some points trying to prove they have more worldly morals than the rest of us is shameful.

Do you remember the images from 10 years ago or were you so far up your own erse's that you didn't notice?

The OP simply asked if there was going to be a minute's silence. I've only just got in the door so I'm not sure if there actually was one. There definitely should have been.

Hard to forget them - they've been on our screens every fifteen minutes since.

HibeeMG
11-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Hard to forget them - they've been on our screens every fifteen minutes since.

Have they? Not sure what TV channel you've been watching then. Or were exaggerating to prove your pretentiousness?

Dashing Bob S
11-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Have they? Not sure what TV channel you've been watching then. Or were exaggerating to prove your pretentiousness?

Exaggerating to prove my pretentiousness.

But only slightly.

HibeeMG
11-09-2011, 04:18 PM

And I hope for you and your family's sake that you continue to feel safe.

Probably the most embarrassing thing I've read on this site. :no way:

Septimus
11-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Perhaps a minutes silence after the game today would have been more appropriate.

Nuitdelune
11-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Perhaps a minutes silence after the game today would have been more appropriate.

:top marks (No offence meant to the poor folks of 9/11)

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Sounded like a 90mins silence on the radio.

lapsedhibee
11-09-2011, 05:52 PM
I think that there was a minutes silence following the tsunami and I have no doubt that there will be one on the anniversary, and rightly so.

Am I reading this right? I can't be. You want a minute's silence every time there's a large scale natural or man-made disaster, anywhere, and also on the anniversaries of these disasters? After not very many years there'd be a minute's silence every single week.

The_Exile
11-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Minutes silence/applause should only be reserved for former/current players or staff who have passed on who are directly linked to Hibs.

Sir David Gray
12-09-2011, 01:14 AM
September 11th 2001 remains the most distressing day that I have ever witnessed in my entire lifetime.

It's quite difficult, even now, to fully comprehend what actually happened that day and it must be even more difficult for the people of New York and Washington DC, who witnessed these horrors at first hand. It's also very difficult to fully comprehend the evil that was behind those attacks.

Yes the USA bore the brunt of the attacks that day and it remains that country's darkest day. However the attacks 10 years ago were not just an attack on the USA, it was an attack on the entire Western world and its democratic ways. That wasn't just an act of terrorism, it was a declaration of war.

Having said that, I don't feel that it was necessary yesterday to hold a minute's silence for those who died that day, at a Scottish football match.

Looking back on the events of that day, even although it is now 10 years on, it still upsets me and really angers me to see the death and destruction which was brought about in these attacks. Seeing the images of those people falling to their deaths by throwing themselves out of the windows of the towers of the World Trade Centre is the most upsetting thing I have ever seen in my life. Knowing how frightened they all must have been in the moments before they jumped and realising how unbearable the heat must have been from the flames, for them to feel that their only option was to jump, it's just such a horrendous thing to even contemplate, if you even try to put yourself in that position.

For every right-minded person in the world, it was a truly horrific day and it's certainly one day in history that I will never forget until the day I die.

scott7_0(Prague)
12-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Jesus a lot of stupid people posting on this one.

My opinion is NO, we should not and glad we did not hold a minutes silence. If you feel that strongly about what happend 10years ago the I would have thought going to a Hibs game would have been the last place you would have wanted to be and more appropiate place would have been some service to remember that horrible day so you could show your resprect and your feelings.

Dashing Bob S
12-09-2011, 08:31 AM

My opinion is NO, we should not and glad we did not hold a minutes silence. If you feel that strongly about what happend 10years ago the I would have thought going to a Hibs game would have been the last place you would have wanted to be and more appropiate place would have been some service to remember that horrible day so you could show your resprect and your feelings.

Well said Scott.

I'm sick to the back teeth of the mawkish drama queens who want to inappropriately turn every public occasion into a necro-fest and bore us all to death about how 'decent' and 'compassionate' they are. If they cared that much there are plenty of forums and opportunities to remember this event.

Scouse Hibee
12-09-2011, 05:48 PM

:top marksI personally have had worse days and show my respect in my own appropriate way as anyone that felt so strongly about 9/11 could have done so on Sunday.