PDA

View Full Version : Billy brown

Brooster
11-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Would you take billy brown as assistant manager?

Golden Bear
11-09-2011, 08:42 AM

If it meant he would improve the set up and results at ER then yes, no problem.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-09-2011, 08:46 AM

Although a hibby im told, his association with hearts will put off many.
But might be interesting for us to bring in someone who knows how the opposition sees us and how the jambos get fired up for the derby and the mentality they've built. [which btw i see as one of the key goals for the board and management allied to demonstrating pride in the jersey and what better way than in the derby - enough of the Mowbray talk it's just another game crap]

Why the heck we can't have addressed this by now
On our own beats me maybe he offers some consultancy as rod
Won't splash the cash :)

3pm
11-09-2011, 08:51 AM

Take it there is mileage in this? Highly unlikely that someone with decent information (you!) would just post that for no reason!

I also assume it means someone is leaving!

lucky
11-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Yes I would take him. Football is about results and sadly that's something we are not good at.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-09-2011, 08:56 AM
In addition - the difference with BB may just be out of those with connections to club perhaps he has the ability to be a bit more objective about things perhaps Mixu, Yogi were just too close and tried too hard and had their judgement clouded - or mibbie just cack :)

Spike Mandela
11-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Seen him cosying up to Rod Petrie in the directors lounge at ER on boxing day having a laugh and joke like long lost pals.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least as these guys will hang their flag to any institution that will pay them enough dosh.

Watching Mr Brown in the dug out area at an Edinburgh Derby will disavow anyone of the notion he is a Hibby. However if you look at it dispassionately and pay someone for their experience and ability then he seems an obvious choice.

Mark79
11-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Someone told me he applied for the job at the same time as calderwood.

Kaiser1962
11-09-2011, 10:00 AM
If so would it mean that JJ is finished?

Doesn't seem like Sergio has a very high opinion of the work they have done at the Yams.

Gala Foxes
11-09-2011, 10:23 AM
If he was able to bring even half the level of commitment that he and Jefferies seemed to provoke from the Hearts players, consistently against us, in to a Hibs team that almost as consistently lacks this quality, I would take him

I don't see much inspiration coming from our bench at the moment

JimBHibees
11-09-2011, 11:52 AM
First question would be Assistant to who? :greengrin

ZIBBY'SGLOVES
11-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Yip sure wood, knows the game inside out and a Hibby into the bargain.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-09-2011, 12:36 PM
He's been a bit quiet since he split from Whitney mind ;)

heretoday
11-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Yes to BB. Yes to JJ too for what it's worth.

Hamish
11-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Yes to BB. Yes to JJ too for what it's worth.

:agree:

Complete change of direction required

frazeHFC
11-09-2011, 05:57 PM
I totally forgot we don't have an assistant.

Thecat23
11-09-2011, 05:58 PM
I totally forgot we don't have an assistant.

Wasn't Alistair Stevenson made our No.2?

vanNISHtelroy
11-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Not totally sure about Billy Brown to be honest with you....from what folk have said JJ was the tactics and stuff and Billy just did the shouting. Then when Locke came onboard the coaching team he was seen as the coach out of the three of them.

Might be able to help yous get organised and motivated I suppose

Saorsa
11-09-2011, 06:20 PM
If it meant he would improve the set up and results at ER then yes, no problem.Charlie Brown would improve the current set up and results at Easter Road

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/CharlieBrown.jpg

Pretty Boy
11-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Jimmy calderwood as manager with Billy Brown as his assistant would do me. I'm deadly serious.

greenlex
11-09-2011, 06:27 PM
If he was able to bring even half the level of commitment that he and Jefferies seemed to provoke from the Hearts players, consistently against us, in to a Hibs team that almost as consistently lacks this quality, I would take him

I don't see much inspiration coming from our bench at the moment
I dont think this squad lacks commitment. Why do you think this?
What I see is a lack of fitness. Aberdeen are still running at 80 mins we are blowing our our erses.
I see a lack of or confusion during communication. How many times did richie towell look over to the bench before he took a nother aimless free kick into the box? What was he looking for? Was he being asked to do something different to what was worked on during the week or talked about at half time?

Speedway
12-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Hmmmm I am lacking the understandmentation.

CC reportedly doesn't want an assistant.

Brooster and his nearly 100% record on accuracy throws out a fishing post on William Brown, which translated means he's been offered a job.

CC has no prior connection to Brown as far as we know.

CC had no connection to Derek Adams either.

Hmmmm.

bawheid
12-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Hmmmm I am lacking the understandmentation.

CC reportedly doesn't want an assistant.

Brooster and his nearly 100% record on accuracy throws out a fishing post on William Brown, which translated means he's been offered a job.

CC has no prior connection to Brown as far as we know.

CC had no connection to Derek Adams either.

Hmmmm.

JJ's not in the Hibs shop is he......??

:hmmm:

hibsbollah
12-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Itd be great. We could sing 'we are the billy boys' at games instead of that 'cc's green and white army' dirge.

Stevie Reid
12-09-2011, 09:23 AM
I wrote this post a month ago - IMO getting Brown in would be akin to the appointment of Billy McNeil: -

Ignoring the serious reservations I have regarding Calderwood as there is little point in adding further to that debate and I want him to be successful, I still find the assistant manager situation with us very, very strange, from the appointment and quick departure of Adams, to the decision to (kind of) promote Alistair Stevenson in the wake of his departure.

Calderwood had zero experience of Scottish football as either a player or coach prior to his appointment at Hibs, and you would think that when making such a move you would want a trusted former colleague alongside you (which didn't happen), or to appoint someone experienced, who knows what this league is all about - Derek Adams could hardly be described as that, and Alistair Stevenson, whilst having a very impressive record with youth players, is inexperienced at SPL level also. I have absolutely nothing against Gareth Evans, but since JC picked him from nowhere to become a coach here, he has survived a succession of managers who have failed to convince the majority of fans.

I wonder if the staff surrounding him are strong enough to challenge his thoughts and opinions - obviously the manager's word is always final, but the best management teams often seem to be partnerships who work together. Maybe this does happen at Hibs, but I get the impression that CC is doing this largely on his own.

One of the last, desperate acts under the distasterous reign that was Jim Duffy's was to get Billy McNeil in as General Manager, as Duffy openly admitted that he had underestimated how big a job being manager at ER was - I sincerely hope that Calderwood has not made the same mistake.

HibeePaj
12-09-2011, 09:30 AM
i would however Billy Brown has just beeng given a job at ESPN as co-commentator so I am guessing he is possibly out the game for a while.
...then again Stephen Craigan co-commentates on ESPN and still plays every week for Motherwell.

Paget

JimBHibees
12-09-2011, 10:31 AM
I wrote this post a month ago - IMO getting Brown in would be akin to the appointment of Billy McNeil: -

I wouldnt disagree it would also be an admittance of things not going particularly well. To even consider Billy Brown who no doubt is a decentish assistant given his linkage to all things Yam would scream to me a desparate rather than considered move. Has CC no mates at all? :greengrin

RIP
12-09-2011, 10:46 AM
When Derek Adams left he did so because he and Calderwood were given a fixed date by which they needed to produce results. Adams did not want to be sacked along with Calderwood. Calderwood didn't want to hire a replacement who would be sacked when he was sacked.

When the Forest and Birmingham speculation started, Michael O'Neil was approached by a Hibs Director to see if he may want the manager's role if Calderwood went South. Despite his Europa League success O'Neill had been stalling on a new contract with Shamrock Rovers. When interviewed recently he stated his ambition was to manage in the SPL. He has also stalled on appointing an assistant in the knowledge that if he appointed one, he would have to offer him to the new club and that club might want a different assistant, preferring someone with more SPL experience.

Same Hibs Director then approaches BB with a view to an assistant role. He doesn't specify assistant to a specific manager.

I just made this up :wink:

bawheid
12-09-2011, 10:59 AM
I just made this up :wink:

Good for you. Perhaps now you could get some crayons and draw us all a nice picture?

aberhibsfc
12-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Charlie Brown would improve the current set up and results at Easter Road

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/CharlieBrown.jpg

On Peanuts.

aberhibsfc
12-09-2011, 01:35 PM
What is the script with no2, it looked to be AS but there has been no further news.

If ever CC needed additional management it would have to be now. Or is he so blind minded he doesn't want other opinions, or is that Petrie are emulating Newcastle retaining the position and salary whilst they observe how this pans out. In a financial sense the latter is calculated gamble avoiding the potential contract termination costs, but it could be argued that it is a self-purporting prophecy, leaving the management team short handed and doomed for failure.

I don't know what's going on. I think CC has come in under the security of JH's latter record at ER and thought this bought him protection of time. However the lull has been long and deep and maybe gone to far to turn around. I think he has maybe underestimated the competition within the SPL, although I think he's brought in what look to be promising youngsters and effective experienced pro's, but I am not yet sure if he knows how to employ them, strategies maybe even man management. There are still a number of big questions over his tenure. I admire the board for standing by him, given the number we've gone through in recent years, the board need to stand firm by their decision however I do not relish their decision making when the time does come. Irrespective of previous management in the last few short years, they will at some point have to protect the status of our clubs SPL membership.

So anyway, after all that, why don't we have a no2?

--------
12-09-2011, 01:52 PM
What is the script with no2, it looked to be AS but there has been no further news.

If ever CC needed additional management it would have to be now. Or is he so blind minded he doesn't want other opinions, or is that Petrie are emulating Newcastle retaining the position and salary whilst they observe how this pans out. In a financial sense the latter is calculated gamble avoiding the potential contract termination costs, but it could be argued that it is a self-purporting prophecy, leaving the management team short handed and doomed for failure.

I don't know what's going on. I think CC has come in under the security of JH's latter record at ER and thought this bought him protection of time. However the lull has been long and deep and maybe gone to far to turn around. I think he has maybe underestimated the competition within the SPL, although I think he's brought in what look to be promising youngsters and effective experienced pro's, but I am not yet sure if he knows how to employ them, strategies maybe even man management. There are still a number of big questions over his tenure. I admire the board for standing by him, given the number we've gone through in recent years, the board need to stand firm by their decision however I do not relish their decision making when the time does come. Irrespective of previous management in the last few short years, they will at some point have to protect the status of our clubs SPL membership.

So anyway, after all that, why don't we have a no2?

We're a shambles, that's why.

bawheid
12-09-2011, 01:56 PM
We're a shambles, that's why.

Doddie, I remember you posting much the same during Mixu's tenure and again during Yogi's spell as manager.

Do you think all three managers are duds or are there deeper problems at Easter Road that no manager is going to be able to fix on his own?

GreenCastle
15-09-2011, 05:14 PM

Are you Billy Brown ? :wink::greengrin

Brooster
15-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Haha. No I'm brooster.

Hamish
15-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Yip well done Brooster.

Remember and let us know when Jefferies is approached for the managers job.

connerg
16-09-2011, 12:42 AM
This is beyond the realms of desperation, appoint a sacked assistant of the mutant ******s, who thoroughly enjoyed every single goal with Jeffries against us, then give him a job!!!!!!!!!!!

Words fail me, PETRIE GET TO F....

Lucius Apuleius
16-09-2011, 05:48 AM
This is beyond the realms of desperation, appoint a sacked assistant of the mutant ******s, who thoroughly enjoyed every single goal with Jeffries against us, then give him a job!!!!!!!!!!!

Going by the number of posts you have made on the subject connerg I really do not think words fail you at all.:greengrin In fact, coming on the board this morning I had an alomst Macaresque moment (PM folk kens whit gaun oan likes)It would also appear you are in the minrity as most people see it as a positive step. Time will tell.

GGTTH

scoopyboy
16-09-2011, 05:49 AM

John Robertson scored many goals against us and enjoyed every one, yet he very nearly signed for us.

He would have been accepted no problem by the fans.

If Brown does a job and gets us out a hole then I have no problem where he worked previously.

I couldn't give a monkey's where anyone comes to Hibs from as long as they do at Easter Road what they are meant to.

Beefster
16-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Haha. No I'm brooster.

Good job, Brooster. You're a pearl in a sea of sludge.

Behave.

blackpoolhibs
16-09-2011, 07:24 AM
John Robertson scored many goals against us and enjoyed every one, yet he very nearly signed for us.

He would have been accepted no problem by the fans.

If Brown does a job and gets us out a hole then I have no problem where he worked previously.

I couldn't give a monkey's where anyone comes to Hibs from as long as they do at Easter Road what they are meant to.

I agree, if results suddenly spark up and we improve great. Although i hope to hell we dont have people telling us the new management team need time to gel or get fit or settle in a new country, before we can expect results to improve.

All thats doing is buying clueless more time imo.

--------
16-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Doddie, I remember you posting much the same during Mixu's tenure and again during Yogi's spell as manager.

Do you think all three managers are duds or are there deeper problems at Easter Road that no manager is going to be able to fix on his own?

Deeper problems - I don't believe that John Collins AND Mixu Paatelainen AND John Hughes and now Colin Calderwood are all clueless incompetents.

But if Calderwood goes and a fifth manager is appointed - that'll be 4, one after the other, none of whom has lasted more that 17 months - then I think it's fairly obvious that we have a problem that goes farther than just a duff manager.

IMO the club has been drifting since Mowbray left - and just maybe Mowbray left in part because he sensed a lack of purpose and ambition in some of the people he was dealing with.

Frankly, I think it's about time both Petrie and the man who appointed him - Farmer - came under scrutiny. They've done very well for the club in terms of finance and infrastructure, but as far as the actual nitty-gritty of putting a team on the field and getting the support onside, they would appear to me to be clueless.

I refuse to believe that Farmer would tolerate the sort of guddle we've been watching going on at ER in any other area of his business. Why at Hibs?

Brown's appointment - Calderwood's second assistant in how many months, neither of whom has worked with him before? - doesn't just buy Calderwood time. It buys Petrie and Farmer time as well.

A wee sop to the natives to quiet them down.

bawheid
16-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Deeper problems - I don't believe that John Collins AND Mixu Paatelainen AND John Hughes and now Colin Calderwood are all clueless incompetents.

But if Calderwood goes and a fifth manager is appointed - that'll be 4, one after the other, none of whom has lasted more that 17 months - then I think it's fairly obvious that we have a problem that goes farther than just a duff manager.

IMO the club has been drifting since Mowbray left - and just maybe Mowbray left in part because he sensed a lack of purpose and ambition in some of the people he was dealing with.

Frankly, I think it's about time both Petrie and the man who appointed him - Farmer - came under scrutiny. They've done very well for the club in terms of finance and infrastructure, but as far as the actual nitty-gritty of putting a team on the field and getting the support onside, they would appear to me to be clueless.

I refuse to believe that Farmer would tolerate the sort of guddle we've been watching going on at ER in any other area of his business. Why at Hibs?

Brown's appointment - Calderwood's second assistant in how many months, neither of whom has worked with him before? - doesn't just buy Calderwood time. It buys Petrie and Farmer time as well.

A wee sop to the natives to quiet them down.

I agree Doddie, something is rotten at Hibernian. It has been for a while.

Which makes the concerted campaign to oust the latest manager seem rather pointless, don't you think?

greenlex
16-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Deeper problems - I don't believe that John Collins AND Mixu Paatelainen AND John Hughes and now Colin Calderwood are all clueless incompetents. But if Calderwood goes and a fifth manager is appointed - that'll be 4, one after the other, none of whom has lasted more that 17 months - then I think it's fairly obvious that we have a problem that goes farther than just a duff manager.IMO the club has been drifting since Mowbray left - and just maybe Mowbray left in part because he sensed a lack of purpose and ambition in some of the people he was dealing with.Frankly, I think it's about time both Petrie and the man who appointed him - Farmer - came under scrutiny. They've done very well for the club in terms of finance and infrastructure, but as far as the actual nitty-gritty of putting a team on the field and getting the support onside, they would appear to me to be clueless.I refuse to believe that Farmer would tolerate the sort of guddle we've been watching going on at ER in any other area of his business. Why at Hibs?Brown's appointment - Calderwood's second assistant in how many months, neither of whom has worked with him before? - doesn't just buy Calderwood time. It buys Petrie and Farmer time as well.A wee sop to the natives to quiet them down. So hiring the assustant who has just been sacked from Hearts will appease the natives ? Are you serious?

--------
16-09-2011, 10:39 AM
So hiring the assustant who has just been sacked from Hearts will appease the natives ? Are you serious?

It won't appease some, but it does mean that no one can accuse Petrie of not having replaced Adams.

If the results improve even marginally, there are quite a number of folks on this board who'll revert to their "let's give them time and see where we are at Christmas/January/February/whenever" stance.

My main point is that I don't believe that Farmer and Petrie have a strategy to advance the club. The club is drifting, and this appointment is essentially irrelevant to the long-term security of the club.

And hard as this may be for some to understand, I'm beginning to wonder just a tad how much the long-term security and prosperity of the club really matters to them.

connerg
16-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Good job, Brooster. You're a pearl in a sea of sludge.

Behave.

Interesting to see how BB conducts himself at the next derby.

scoopyboy
16-09-2011, 12:02 PM

Do you think he will celebrate if Hearts score and then give the His fans the vickies?

Lucius Apuleius
16-09-2011, 12:03 PM

One would hope he would be the very epitome of decorum. It is appreciated he will have to learn "Hibs' class" however I am sure he shall. This is obviously totally dependant upon us scoring against them.

sahib
16-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I agree Doddie, something is rotten at Hibernian. It has been for a while.

Which makes the concerted campaign to oust the latest manager seem rather pointless, don't you think?

Apart from the coffee you mean?

The professional game in Scotland is on it's uppers.

greenlex
16-09-2011, 02:04 PM
It won't appease some, but it does mean that no one can accuse Petrie of not having replaced Adams.

If the results improve even marginally, there are quite a number of folks on this board who'll revert to their "let's give them time and see where we are at Christmas/January/February/whenever" stance.
This would be and is my stance in any case. Brown or no Brown. If results and probably more importantly performances continue over the next four/five games then Calderwood should be removed. Cut adrift at the next window is my timescale and position but the next few games will give a good indication of where we will be at that time.

My main point is that I don't believe that Farmer and Petrie have a strategy to advance the club. The club is drifting, and this appointment is essentially irrelevant to the long-term security of the club.
So completing the stadium and having state of the art training facilities are not advancing the club? The new stand hasnt seen a whole season FFS. Before you play the "to the detriment of the playing side" card I believe the budget would have been no different new stand or not. They are certainly backing the manager on all fronts and the appointment of a no 2 is an admission the Calderwood needs help whether he himself made the decision or the board forced him into having an assistant. Whoever made that decision makes no difference. he has been backed by the board again. You can argue that they are failing but we are a handful of games or so into a new season with a manager who has a track record and his own players now available. Lets see what he can do.

And hard as this may be for some to understand, I'm beginning to wonder just a tad how much the long-term security and prosperity of the club really matters to them. If the long term didnt matter to Petrie or Farmer the club would have been sold to the highest bidder long ago..