PDA

View Full Version : Well done Andy Murray!

IWasThere2016
09-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Into US Open semis in tough 3-1 sets win over Isner! :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
09-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Isner is a complete robot when serving!!!!! Well Done Andy :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
09-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Great match. Huge ask for Murray to win it - but of he does it will be the single greatest sporting achievement by any Scot IMHO.

HibeeMG
09-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Great performance and great result.

What we need now is Rafa v Roddick to be a 5 set slogfest!

ruthven_raiders
09-09-2011, 08:43 PM
then we need djokovic and federer to run into each other and give andy a wo:wink:

nonshinyfinish
09-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Great match. Huge ask for Murray to win it - but of he does it will be the single greatest sporting achievement by any Scot IMHO.

Maybe. Chris Hoy might disagree though.

Sir David Gray
09-09-2011, 09:09 PM

He might and he has a valid case. Winning 4 Olympic Gold medals is no mean feat.

However, if Andy Murray lifts the US Open trophy on Monday night, I believe that it will be the greatest achievement by a Scottish athlete.

In Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray is competing against three of the greatest players who have ever played the sport of tennis and for him to win the US Open, he'll almost certainly have to defeat two of them.

Should he manage to do that, I don't think there is any doubt that it would become the greatest achievement by a Scottish sportsman/woman.

However, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. He's only made the semi finals and given that he came into this tournament as the number 4 seed, a semi final spot is the least that I would have expected of him.

He has a huge weekend ahead of him.

HibeeMG
09-09-2011, 09:14 PM
I was going to throw Stephen Hendry into the mix until you qualified it by saying 'athlete'!

It's just been said that Andy Murray is only the seventh man in history to reach the semi-finals of all four Grand Slams in one season. That in itself is a great performance for a Scot.

Paisley Hibby
09-09-2011, 09:21 PM
I was going to throw Stephen Hendry into the mix until you qualified it by saying 'athlete'!

It's just been said that Andy Murray is only the seventh man in history to reach the semi-finals of all four Grand Slams in one season. That in itself is a great performance for a Scot.

And let's not forget that Stephen Hendry is a Yam! Andy Murray on the other hand...:greengrin

HibeeMG
09-09-2011, 09:24 PM
And let's not forget that Stephen Hendry is a Yam! Andy Murray on the other hand...:greengrin

Yeah, I know. I actually don't like Hendry and not just because he's a Yam but you can't take away his achievements.

Let's not forget who Sir Chris Hoy supports also! We need a Hibby in the mix for best Scot ever. :flag:

Shrekko
09-09-2011, 09:25 PM

You've gotta be kidding. Just think of how many millions play tennis.

Andy has now reached a minimum of the semis of each grand slam in a year- and this is a golden age in men's tennis. He's already achieved something amazing IMO.

Paisley Hibby
09-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I know. I actually don't like Hendry and not just because he's a Yam but you can't take away his achievements.

Let's not forget who Sir Chris Hoy supports also! We need a Hibby in the mix for best Scot ever. :flag:

Good shout, I had forgotten that he's a jambo too.

nortonhibby
09-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Another Quality Hibby i prey he wins it

greenlex
09-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Maybe. Chris Hoy might disagree though. Sandy Lyall might get him telt tae. So might Alan Wells and not forgettimg Eric Liddell.Come on Andy.

nonshinyfinish
09-09-2011, 10:32 PM

Andy has now reached a minimum of the semis of each grand slam in a year- and this is a golden age in men's tennis. He's already achieved something amazing IMO.

I'm not kidding.

Difficult (perhaps pointless?) to compare achievements in different sports, but it's always fun to have an argument where there can be no definitive right or wrong.

Hainan Hibs
09-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Before the excitement gets too much for everyone he is once again going to be pumped out in the Semi Final and continue as the Colin Montgomery of tennis.

:devil:

nortonhibby
09-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Before the excitement gets too much for everyone he is once again going to be pumped out in the Semi Final and continue as the Colin Montgomery of tennis.

nope he will wear green and win the semi:flag:

:devil:

nope he will wear green this time and win the semi:flag:

Sir David Gray
10-09-2011, 04:15 PM

Only the seventh man to do that since the Open Era began in 1968.

He's in some very impressive company as well;

Rod Laver
Tony Roche
Ivan Lendl
Roger Federer
Rafael Nadal
Novak Djokovic

And now Andy Murray.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Federer has done it 5 times the rest of them once each, just shows you how good he is.

--------
12-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Absolutely right. :agree: