PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night SPL Matches

Calvin
09-09-2011, 03:31 PM
http://www.scottishfootballleague.com/news/article/spl--sfl-joint-press-release/

Would you be in favour of Friday night matches? It looks like the SPL are certainly keen to try it out. I'm quite indifferent about the proposition but would probably not be inclined to attend away matches on a Friday night.

Stevie Reid
09-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Well up for it.

Gatecrasher
09-09-2011, 03:33 PM
It's at least worth a try IMO

Hibbie_Cameron
09-09-2011, 03:35 PM
I dont think it will work. Crowds will be down just like they are for a Tues or Wed night match

jonty
09-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Would rather have a Friday night game, than a late Sunday or Monday night game. :agree:

PatHead
09-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Would rather have a Friday night game, than a late Sunday or Monday night game. :agree:

or Sunday 12 noon before pubs open

MSK
09-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Was it BSKYB or something similar that used to do Friday night football in the SPL ..quite sure I attended games on a Friday night a few years back ..

LancashireHibby
09-09-2011, 03:43 PM
It's a no from me, purely from the selfish point of view that I'd have no chance of going to games without staying overnight and therefore the cost increasing hugely. That said, something like Friday night games has to be worth a go at the minute.

Hibbie_Cameron
09-09-2011, 03:48 PM
I dont think these games are even on tv though. I would be raging if a hibs match was moved from a Sat 3pm kick off to a friday evening, with no tv coverage

The Tubs
09-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I remember the Motherwell game on a Friday night when we were playing well with Jackson, McAlllister and O'Neill. The stand was rammed and everyone was well up for it: Friday night, finish work, few pints, fitba' and then on the town. Just a pity I was 14 and couldn't fully partake!

hibee_girl
09-09-2011, 04:04 PM
I think games on a Friday night would be great :agree:

Makaveli
09-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Saturday 15.00 > Friday 19.45 > Sunday 14.00 > Sunday 12.30 :agree:

bighairyfaeleith
09-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Ok so I would finish my work on a friday afternoon and go to the pub and then go to the game and then back to the pub, then I would get a kebab and go home.

Sounds like a perfect friday night to me!!:thumbsup:

greenginger
09-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Anythings better than Noon or 1 p.m. kick-offs Saturday or Sunday. Don't think I've ever been to an early K.O. at Easter Road that i've really enjoyed.

bighairyfaeleith
09-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Anythings better than Noon or 1 p.m. kick-offs Saturday or Sunday. Don't think I've ever been to an early K.O. at Easter Road that i've really enjoyed.

TBF I'm struggling to remember a 3pm one as well!!

frazeHFC
09-09-2011, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't be able to go to Friday games, so a no from me. But if i could they would be good.

--------
09-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Seems a lot better than mid-day Sunday kick-offs or Monday evenings.

Cut out the Sunday games and have the matches either Friday evenings or Saturday at 3.00pm and it would suit me perfectly.

Once we actually start playing football, that is. :rolleyes:

frazeHFC
09-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Why move to Friday if not for TV purposes? It's ruining the tradition of football even more.

givescotlandfreedom
09-09-2011, 04:41 PM
If for the sake of telly I'd much prefer a Friday night game to an early Sat/Sun game. In fact, selfishly, I'd even prefer them to Saturday at 3.

marinello59
09-09-2011, 04:41 PM
It's well worth a try. If crowds do increase then that can only be good.
If it becomes a regular slot it would be the end of my season ticket though. Hope they televise them all. :devil:

scoopyboy
09-09-2011, 04:43 PM
I remember the Motherwell game on a Friday night when we were playing well with Jackson, McAlllister and O'Neill. The stand was rammed and everyone was well up for it: Friday night, finish work, few pints, fitba' and then on the town. Just a pity I was 14 and couldn't fully partake!

Yes, I recall that game and enjoyed it. 0-0 if I recall correctly.

Also can remember a 4-2 defeat at Kille, possibly Yogi's debut.

Friday night would be my second choice after Saturday at 3pm.

smurf
09-09-2011, 04:44 PM
I loved the Sunday evening games. Some great times, performances and results!

Hainan Hibs
09-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I think for a home game it would improve the atmosphere, people would be more up for it; finished work, first pint of the weekend etc. Much better than a 12.30 Sunday kick off.

Knowing the SFA however they would have us away to Inverness and Aberdeen.

Franck is God
09-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Much like a few others have already said I would much prefer a Friday night game over a Saturday or Sunday lunchtime.

I think it would be a great way to start the weekend, finish work, off to the pub for a couple, go watch the game with a few mates and back to the pub to finsh the evening off sounds pretty good to me.

zlatan
09-09-2011, 05:19 PM

I have very vague memories of the Killie game, I'm sure Hughes got sent off as well. Must have been before 1997 as I was still in my first house as a kiddywinkle at the time.

DC_Hibs
09-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Knowing the SFA however they would have us away to Inverness and Aberdeen.

My immediate thought was it would be OK if they were sensible with what games they picked (as you suggest).

I then opened the link to see Aberdeen/Dunfermline was the SPL game chosen!! Not exactly handy for those Dunfermline fans working that day (not all 9-5 in Dunfermline remember) and I've no idea if a return train would be available at that time which restricts travel options.

Typical of Scottish football authorities, they come up with an idea to try out and fek it up before its even started.

The SFL game chosen is more sensible at least.

LancashireHibby
09-09-2011, 05:30 PM
I then opened the link to see Aberdeen/Dunfermline was the SPL game chosen!! Not exactly handy for those Dunfermline fans working that day (not all 9-5 in Dunfermline remember) and I've no idea if a return train would be available at that time which restricts travel options.

Even those who do work 9-5 would have a serious struggle to get there. People might take a (half) day off work for the odd Friday night game, but I'm not sure that would be the case if it became a regular arrangement.

LeithBoozy
09-09-2011, 05:39 PM
The club would not have any problems with the licence for the BTG BAR. The jambo council will not be amused.

Barney McGrew
09-09-2011, 05:48 PM
The first stumbling block will be when the Ugly Sisters start to bleat about their fans not being able to get ferries over for Friday night games, so I wouldn't expect them to be involved any time soon.

NGH
09-09-2011, 05:50 PM
It would suit me but not others I know. No worse, in fact much better than a Monday night or 12 noon on a Saturday to my mind.

Hainan Hibs
09-09-2011, 06:49 PM
My immediate thought was it would be OK if they were sensible with what games they picked (as you suggest).

I didnae even open the link and knew I wouldn't be far off the mark:greengrin

Golden Bear
09-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Still prefer 3pm on a saturday but failing that then Friday night is the next best thing.

HibeeMG
09-09-2011, 09:20 PM
I have very vague memories of the Killie game, I'm sure Hughes got sent off as well. Must have been before 1997 as I was still in my first house as a kiddywinkle at the time.

It was around October 1996 as it was the first day in my new house in Bolton. Remember it well.

Sir David Gray
09-09-2011, 09:51 PM

Typical of Scottish football authorities, they come up with an idea to try out and fek it up before its even started.

The SFL game chosen is more sensible at least.

You really could not make that up! :rolleyes:

Shaggy
09-09-2011, 10:09 PM
I am completely of with the schedule, other than Sat 3pm, every other time is inconvenient for most working family guys.
Am no going Sunday cause it conflicts with the kids football,
Season ticket 7 years, wont be renewing next year cause of the fixtures times, not because hibs are pish and declining.

Pandering to tv revenues directly kills attendances.... so the spl should make up there minds wither they want paying attending fans.

joebakerforever
10-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Other commitments on majority of Friday evenings.

If they introduce this & Summer Football, will clash with too many other interests and will no longer make buying a Season ticket an economic proposition.

Auckland Hibs
10-09-2011, 06:28 AM

Remember the game 0-0 it finished, nothing special about the match but I think it was one of my favourite away trips with IEC from the Royal Nip.

Everyone was hammered before we left ER and can recall signing non-stop for the entire game - seem to recall that Michael O'Neil had been linked with Coventry City and we also sang his name non-stop right at the bottom of the away stand.

:flag:

Zazu62
10-09-2011, 08:00 AM
I remember the Motherwell game on a Friday night when we were playing well with Jackson, McAlllister and O'Neill. The stand was rammed and everyone was well up for it: Friday night, finish work, few pints, fitba' and then on the town. Just a pity I was 14 and couldn't fully partake! Remember it well think I was about 9 years old, poor game though.GGTTH

3pm
10-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Friday night fitba ; anyone recall the Semi Final of the Scottish Cup against Celtic. I had just turned 16 and had never seen so many hammered folk in my life!!

Albion Hibs
10-09-2011, 04:28 PM
How about they just focus on getting games on at 3pm on saturday, if they cant do that then they need to be getting a better deal off sky / ESPN so teams can invest in better players and improve the standard of the league to get people to the ground regardless of whether or not the game is on tv.

However, on subject of friday night games I think they would be far better than sunday afternoons. I cant see how it will help with people getting too much drink in them before the games, however, for non OF fixtures and derbies I think it could be beneficial in terms of crowd numbers.

ancient hibee
10-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Home game-terrific-absolutely

Away game-do I look stupid or something?

Albion Hibs
11-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Home game-terrific-absolutely

Away game-do I look stupid or something?

Away games is hopefully a matter that they have considered, and whilst they will probably not entertain derbies for drink reasons, the likes of away trips to Dunfermline, Motherwell, St Johnstone and maybe even Dundee Utd should not be too much of an issue. I do know there will be work committments for some, but ultimatley I would have it any day of the week over and above a Sunday game.

HibbyAndy
11-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Remember the game 0-0 it finished, nothing special about the match but I think it was one of my favourite away trips with IEC from the Royal Nip.

Everyone was hammered before we left ER and can recall signing non-stop for the entire game - seem to recall that Michael O'Neil had been linked with Coventry City and we also sang his name non-stop right at the bottom of the away stand.

:flag:

:agree:

MON Was outstanding that night , Here was a player that had it all, 2 footed, Eye for goal and a touch to die for. Sure he rattled the post that night tae.

james62
11-09-2011, 08:43 PM
On the plus side we could get the 90 minutes of torture over and done with on a Friday night and be able to enjoy the rest of the weekend. :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
11-09-2011, 09:03 PM
On the plus side we could get the 90 minutes of torture over and done with on a Friday night and be able to enjoy the rest of the weekend. :greengrin

Right now I see it the other way around - just makes it even longer to mump around

jonty
11-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Right now I see it the other way around - just makes it even longer to mump around
Combine with some heavy drinking and we might even forget about it by the morning.

Cue the flashbacks all weekend :boo hoo: