PDA

View Full Version : SPL = La Liga

Broken Gnome
07-09-2011, 11:21 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/sep/07/la-liga-barcelona-real-madrid

Sounds familiar...

What can you do in the face of such 'superiority' and stubbornness though?

TRC
08-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Sure does seem a mirror image Dickie if only a murky mirror. I bet the Old Bigots would love to have even half the revenue of Barca or Madrid. But the Old Bigots aren't welcome anywhere else, even if they did build a European league with those two in it (Barca Madrid). Rangers and Celtic would be no where near it. Also Ramos is a complete idiot he say if you don't like the league you can leave. Well Madrid haven't been close in recent years!!

MWHIBBIES
08-09-2011, 02:32 AM
Those TV figures are a joke. How are teams men't to compete with other team who are earning more than twice what they do.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Failure of the regulators be it national regional or otherwise.
This is one of the logical conclusions however when the clubs chase the money. And eufa and FIFA should step in if it means the dilution of leagues.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-09-2011, 06:20 AM
And where does it end - franchises?
What if actually theres more money to be made in Asia or the US why not rebase some teams there?
Or do what the NFL did with the world league or whTever they called their European venture?

greenlex
08-09-2011, 07:07 AM
And where does it end - franchises?What if actually theres more money to be made in Asia or the US why not rebase some teams there?Or do what the NFL did with the world league or whTever they called their European venture? All a somewhat inevitable scenario in a globalised capatalist world.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-09-2011, 08:03 AM
All a somewhat inevitable scenario in a globalised capatalist world.

Yup all those puzzling preseason trips to Asia north america mean those visiting and investing in building/testing the "Market" will be at the table when it's up for discussion.

Can I suggest south America to hibs ;)

down-the-slope
08-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Was going to start a thread last week about this when info on potential revolt came out...

What amazes me is the number on here who moan all the time about the Old Firm / TV money / inequalty etc....and yet fawn about the La Liga (Barca particularly) all the time.......

Easy to be the biggest fish in the pond if you are fed more........

At least the EPL has equality from TV side of things which is why there is at least some competition at the top end (will need soem restrictions on non earned income in future if this balance is not to be tipped)

ScottB
08-09-2011, 10:58 AM
I could put up with a duopoly if I got to see the stunning football on offer in La Liga, sure, Barca and Real dominate, but their other sides are more than capable of going toe to toe with some of the better teams in Europe, in Scotland we have a 'Big Two' who get papped out of Europe at the first hurdle and the rest of the league is fast descending to a pub team standard.

Most leagues are dominated by a couple clubs. The much vaunted EPL has been almost exclusively won by Man Utd, with only Arsenal and Chelsea popping up with a couple each and a solitary Blackburn title decades ago, this season it will be dominated by 2, maybe 3 teams tops and will probably be like that for a long time to come.

frazeHFC
08-09-2011, 03:23 PM
They actually have numerous clubs who do well in Europe though......the likes of Athletico, Valencia have more chance of winning the league than a non OF team does here imo.

CFC
09-09-2011, 05:35 AM
Was going to start a thread last week about this when info on potential revolt came out...What amazes me is the number on here who moan all the time about the Old Firm / TV money / inequalty etc....and yet fawn about the La Liga (Barca particularly) all the time.......Easy to be the biggest fish in the pond if you are fed more........At least the EPL has equality from TV side of things which is why there is at least some competition at the top end (will need soem restrictions on non earned income in future if this balance is not to be tipped)Disagree re "unearned income" if you take Jack Walker and Roman Abramovich out the equation the EPL would have had the same number of winners as SPL last 20 odd years. Only way smaller clubs can compete with the sort of dough that Arsenal and Man U generate on matchdays is being subsidised by a billionaire. Why? Cos gatesharing was scrapped in 1983. Scrapping shared gates was the start of the end for a level playing field.

CFC
09-09-2011, 06:37 AM
Further point if I may: I'd like the other clubs in the league to realise the sort of leverage they have if they unionise against the Old Firm. Fact is the Old Firm need those clubs more than they need them, you cant play in a league containing just two teams. I would love to live to see the day when Scottish clubs tell the OF COLLECTIVELY "if you dont give us 50% of the gate we wont play at Ibrox/Parkhead".

lucky
09-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Further point if I may: I'd like the other clubs in the league to realise the sort of leverage they have if they unionise against the Old Firm. Fact is the Old Firm need those clubs more than they need them, you cant play in a league containing just two teams. I would love to live to see the day when Scottish clubs tell the OF COLLECTIVELY "if you dont give us 50% of the gate we wont play at Ibrox/Parkhead".

Sharing of gate money would not help Hibs. Yes we would get a big cut at the OF but every other team would benefit against us. The yams would about even. It's not the gate money but the commercial activities of the OF which give them an even greater advantage

CFC
09-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Would it be in the best interests of the majority of SPL clubs to reintroduce gate sharing lucky? Or is the gap so insurmountable that it wouldnt matter?