PDA

View Full Version : NHC Levein's team of world beaters for toninght

Moulin Yarns
06-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Team: McGregor, Whittaker, Caldwell, Berra, Bardsley, Naismith, Fletcher, Cowie, Bannan, Morrison, Goodwillie.

patlowe
06-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Team: McGregor, Whittaker, Caldwell, Berra, Bardsley, Naismith, Fletcher, Cowie, Bannan, Morrison, Goodwillie.

That side should have enough to win IMO.

JimBHibees
06-09-2011, 12:22 PM

Amazed Cowie is in the team, like Bannan and hope he does well. Tonight will be a struggle for sure. Hope we can nick a win and keep the group going until October.

johnrebus
06-09-2011, 12:25 PM

God help us. The lack of quality in that team is frightening.

Even Hibs would give that lot a game.

:timebomb:

steakbake
06-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Ludicrous that Fletcher doesn't get a game for Scotland. Wish Faddy would hurry up and find a regular game. O Connor has been in good form for us for 4 games or so, but I can see why that would in itself not be enough to give him the nod - in time, I'm sure he'll be back in the blue.

As angry as all the papers have been about the weekend's game, fact of the matter is that 5 points out of 15 means we'd be hostage to decisions and games elsewhere.

I reckon as soon as 4-6-0 was the formation in a relatively winnable game in Prague, we were in trouble.

Hope we can do something tonight and see what happens!!

Albion Hibs
06-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Decent players in there own right, only concern would be that with the exception of the back four they are very lightweight / small. We know the likes of Whitaker is not the best at defending set pieces into the box, so that would be my biggest concern. In saying that I have no idea what size of team the Liths are?

Moulin Yarns
06-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Decent players in there own right, only concern would be that with the exception of the back four they are very lightweight / small. We know the likes of Whitaker is not the best at defending set pieces into the box, so that would be my biggest concern. In saying that I have no idea what size of team the Liths are?

I think the Lith team will be the same size as Scotland, at least at the kick off, 11-a-side is the norm these days. :greengrin

poolman
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM

How times have changed

http://www.planetworldcup.com/CUPS/1974/squad_sco74.html

Wembley67
06-09-2011, 12:35 PM
God help us. The lack of quality in that team is frightening.

Even Hibs would give that lot a game.

:timebomb:

Every single player in that team would walk in to Hibs right now easily.

Sylar
06-09-2011, 12:41 PM

Oh dear.

KeithTheHibby
06-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Once again, 1 striker playing in a must win game.

Incidentally do we have any other strikers on the bench??? Or are they all at home?

soproni1
06-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Lack of flair has been an issue against teams which are 'not as good or on the same level as us' - Snodgrass and Dorrans would add more than Bannan and Cowie surely - Dorrans was great against Spain FFS and Snodgrass scored in his last game - amazing what happens when players other than Kenny Miller go into the box (although that may be why he aint playing, being taught a lesson for going too far forward)

euro Hibby
06-09-2011, 01:15 PM
so we will find out just how deep his pool of players is ? Not sure why he put not play snodgrass before naismith. ? Banon does is a sub for villa..........

Broken Gnome
06-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Dorrans and Snodgrass have every right to do a Fletcher. Terrible.

JimBHibees
06-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Dorrans and Snodgrass have every right to do a Fletcher. Terrible.

Would agree particularly with regard to Dorrans.

johnrebus
06-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Every single player in that team would walk in to Hibs right now easily.

I would like to think so.

Hibernian are bottom of the SPL and this is the best Levein can come up with to represent Scotland?

The lack of quality we have at intenational level is probably worse than the Hibs side at SPL level.

:eyes:

euro Hibby
06-09-2011, 01:34 PM
I watched him chewing sweeties for 90 minutes on saturday on the sideline.........what a prick. !

Cocaine&Caviar
06-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Whats the story with Dorrans at the minute? Didnt set the prem on fire last season by all means, but a great prospect.

Broken Gnome
06-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Worst thing is, especially for a guy supposedly so eloquent and adept with the media, if you actually broke down his selections and ask him why, I can't for a minute even work out how he could explain some of them. Impossible to convince people that those two didn't even merit a place on the bench, just as his 'everyone will be doing it in the future' reasoning for 4-6-0 was total guff.

Fud of a man.

frazeHFC
06-09-2011, 02:09 PM

Naismith was abysmal on Sunday, i don't know how he is staying in the team. I don't get the Bardsley abuse? I think he is quality and who else would folk rather have at left back?

Phil MaGlass
06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
I watched him chewing sweeties for 90 minutes on saturday on the sideline.........what a prick. !

so you missed all the goals then, why go all that way to watch levein for 90 minutes?

hibsbollah
06-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Naismith was abysmal on Sunday, i don't know how he is staying in the team. I don't get the Bardsley abuse? I think he is quality and who else would folk rather have at left back?

Agree with both points completely. Naismith starting is incomprehensible after his alan o'brien-like showing on saturday. Bardsley is a good player, one of 4 or 5good fullbacks we have in the squad. Wish the rest if the positions had so much depth.

SteveHFC
06-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Dorrans should be ahead of Cowie in midfield and Snodgrass should be in for Naismith.

patlowe
06-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Cowie has been excellent every time I've seen him in the past year or so. Surprised Bannan's got in but it seems Levein has taken a shine to him. Not heard much about Dorrans in recent times, seem to remember something about an injury at some point though. Where the hell is Commons?!

soproni1
06-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Can see where people are coming from re. Naismith but he has been one of our better players outwith Saturday, think he deserves to stay in. Especially with it being Goodwillie's 1st start it might be better to have him up there closest to him rather than give Snodgrass his first (competitive) start in that position (as mentioned before would find another place for him in the team though)

patlowe
06-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Can see where people are coming from re. Naismith but he has been one of our better players outwith Saturday, think he deserves to stay in. Especially with it being Goodwillie's 1st start it might be better to have him up there closest to him rather than give Snodgrass his first (competitive) start in that position (as mentioned before would find another place for him in the team though)

Agree re Naismith, think he's one of our better attacking players and should not be dismissed because of one admittedly poor performance.

'Mon the Hibs
06-09-2011, 05:21 PM

We seem pretty lightweight in midfield with Naismith, bannan and Cowie.

Goodwillie on debut upfront on his own (AT HOME... in a MUST WIN game?!?!:confused:)

Fletcher just back from injury, though he did look good on Saturday compared with the rest. Our best player at the moment.

Whittaker- crap defender at Hibs, crap defender at huns..... good going forward though. hopefully he won't be exposed and will get sepport from midfield.

Big game for Caldwell, McGregor and Berra!

PISTOL1875
06-09-2011, 05:46 PM

Well I am gonna give you 3 names who could play at LB ahead of Bardsley and not forgetting they have a left foot..

1. Lee Wallace ( when fit )
2. Stephen Crainey..
3. Paul Dixon..

HibeeSince85
06-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Well I am gonna give you 3 names who could play at LB ahead of Bardsley and not forgetting they have a left foot..

2. Stephen Crainey..
3. Paul Dixon..

Wallace is the only one of them that is competition for Bardsley.

Bardsley is a good player, who has proved he can play in the premiership, I don't have anything against him at all playing lb for Scotland.

That's not the strongest squad but enough to get a win, possibly even comfortably. Cmon Scotland!!!!!

PISTOL1875
06-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Wallace is the only one of them that is competition for Bardsley.

Bardsley is a good player, who has proved he can play in the premiership, I don't have anything against him at all playing lb for Scotland.

That's not the strongest squad but enough to get a win, possibly even comfortably. Cmon Scotland!!!!!

Surely to play at LB , the most important thing would be your left foot as your strongest...........

HibeeSince85
06-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Surely to play at LB , the most important thing would be your left foot as your strongest...........

Aye obviously that's the ideal situation but I also go by surely to get a game you need to be better than the guy with the jersey, Crainey and Dixon aint.

He's done well, hasn't looked like he is struggled either, plus a good player can play anywhere on the park, apart from in goals before anyone comes out with a smart erse reply:greengrin

SteveHFC
06-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Subs;
Gilks
Crainey
Hutton
Hanley
Dorrans
Snodgrass
Forrest

R'Albin
06-09-2011, 06:34 PM

:agree:

2. Stephen Crainey..
3. Paul Dixon..

Are you on the wind up or are you seriously suggesting that Stephen Crainey is a better LB that Phil Bardsley?!

Stenny
06-09-2011, 10:16 PM

He should walk away from the national team and throw his toys out the pram because he is on the bench...? Madness!! Maybe he should wait for his chance and then take it and prove some people wrong.

JimBHibees
07-09-2011, 09:55 AM

Maybe not having to be his strongest but certainly having to be able to use it. To see a EPL regular getting into a simple crossing position on his left side on about 3 occasions and deciding to come back onto his right foot was embarressing. Surely they must practice this sort ot crossing routine in training. It doesnt need to be the best cross in the world just get it into the box to supply players making a run in for a finish.

JimBHibees
07-09-2011, 09:56 AM
He should walk away from the national team and throw his toys out the pram because he is on the bench...? Madness!! Maybe he should wait for his chance and then take it and prove some people wrong.

I never said he should do that however the guys that came in such as Cowie and Bannan were good so fair enough he wasnt starting.

Gettin' Auld
07-09-2011, 10:32 AM
I watched him chewing pricks for 90 minutes on saturday on the sideline.........what a sweetie. !

I fixed that for you!!

:thumbsup:

sunshine1875
07-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Dorrans should be ahead of Cowie in midfield and Snodgrass should be in for Naismith.

What a load of tosh has been written on this thread!

Cowie had a good game. I was impressed with him. I also think that Dorrans is a good player, but struggling to understand why Hibs fans think Dorrans is a much better player than Cowie, so much that they reckon that he should have a strop, when I am sure that none have witnessed their recent form for their respective teams. For those not aware, Cowie has had a good start to the season with Cardiff, whilst Dorrans has not played as many competitive games with a West Brom team that have struggled a bit.

Snodgrass - a very good prospect, but better than Naismith. Again, where is the proof! The proof I have is that Naismith scored a good goal and played well, so I am happy with that.

And Bardsley is not a good player. Oh well...........

Oh well, don't let the facts get in the way of having another dig at Levein and Scotland.

EDIT: and I forgot to pick up on some questioning why Bannon was playing......with someone insisting that Dorrans and Snodgrass had more flair than Bannon. You were joking right!

patlowe
07-09-2011, 12:52 PM

Cowie had a good game. I was impressed with him. I also think that Dorrans is a good player, but struggling to understand why Hibs fans think Dorrans is a much better player than Cowie, so much that they reckon that he should have a strop, when I am sure that none have witnessed their recent form for their respective teams. For those not aware, Cowie has had a good start to the season with Cardiff, whilst Dorrans has not played as many competitive games with a West Brom team that have struggled a bit.

Snodgrass - a very good prospect, but better than Naismith. Again, where is the proof! The proof I have is that Naismith scored a good goal and played well, so I am happy with that.

Oh well, don't let the facts get in the way of having another dig at Levein and Scotland.

:agree:

Broken Gnome
07-09-2011, 01:20 PM

EDIT: and I forgot to pick up on some questioning why Bannon was playing......with someone insisting that Dorrans and Snodgrass had more flair than Bannon. You were joking right!

Think you're right with most of that - those that were questioned played well so fair enough to Levein, Cowie and Naismith for that. The problem is his logic for playing some of these guys is so utterly skewed when held against his reasons for excluding others. No one would disagree with Bannon's contribution but he's still a guy thats barely played this season, and how often has he preached to death that guys not involved at club level won't feature? Why's Cowie suddenly flavour of the month when Craig Conway, playing equally well and was actually a part of squads in the not too distant past, is completely ignored?

It's not so much the quality of the players he selects, it's the fact some of the things he does appear contradictory at best and inexplicable at worst. Why has James Forrest sat on the bench for 180 minutes, was overlooked for Snodgrass and Dorrans last night, yet these two guys weren't even listed on Saturday? I don't care how good Bardsley is, and he is, it's still nonsense to play a guy at left back was falling over his feet at times when forced to use his left foot, when Lee Wallace can't even get in the squad. And as ok as Scotland looked at times last night the fact that a lone striker was so isolated on his debut, getting increasingly frustrated and decreasingly effective as the game went on as it happens, his pig-headed refusal to bring in another striker was half the reason we only just made it.

And every time you see Kenny Black on the bench it's enough to make you boak. He deserves sacked for that alone....

PISTOL1875
07-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Maybe not having to be his strongest but certainly having to be able to use it. To see a EPL regular getting into a simple crossing position on his left side on about 3 occasions and deciding to come back onto his right foot was embarressing. Surely they must practice this sort ot crossing routine in training. It doesnt need to be the best cross in the world just get it into the box to supply players making a run in for a finish.

Thats the main reason you should have a left footed played in a left footed position. Barry bannon was doing the exact same thing when he was on the right hand side of midfield....

leither17
07-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Thats the main reason you should have a left footed played in a left footed position. Barry bannon was doing the exact same thing when he was on the right hand side of midfield....

denis irwin was a right footed player who played left back for man u for years i think bardslay is twice the player of wallace in any of the full back slots